Once all wires were connected properly to the switches, I inserted the switches fully into the selected openings, and temporarily set the center console to the floor, being careful again to move the shifter from park to neutral and back. This is the ideal switch for the ARBCKMA12, and ARBCKSA12 air compressors. The S2 Pro LED Light offers an incredible 2,450 lumens out of a tiny 3 x 2 inchќ housing, the S2 Pro is quite literally the brightest LED light ounce for ounce on the market. I had issues with leaks for the first few days and the compressor would cycle on and off in short intervals to maintain pressure. Once the housing was clean the next step was to torch off all the factory attachments such as shock mounts and spring hangers. The ARB High Output Air Compressor is designed for use on 1987-2021 Jeep Wrangler YJ, TJ, JK and JL models. High efficiency design consumes only 56 Amps at maximum air flow. 5.0 out of 5 stars 2 ratings. This would match the rear ratio and give me decent highway power with better off-road gearing. It is important to wire all switches correctly prior to inserting them in the openings. Here is everything removed from the housing and you can see the ratchet tap in the hole drilled for the bulkhead. The line must be clear of the gear and the carrier, and still fit so it doesn't touch the differential cover. Upon closer inspection, I even found that the two threaded holes there normally used for said tank actually matched two of the four mounting holes and the metric threads of the ARB mounting hardware. Caution: Be careful to not to cut the switch holes up too high (as I did), since the switches may interfere with the cover of the console box. Connect the pressure switch to the outside of the valve, and connect the hose attachment to the top of the valve. I decided to have a local shop install the compressor, but the shop I was planning on using was shutting down for a couple of weeks for the upcoming Rubicon Trail Jeep Jamboree. The largest 4Runner community in the world. I mounted the front ARB Air Locker switch to the left of my center dash section. Once I got to the rear differential, I lifted the rear of the vehicle from one tire, flexing the rear suspension. Once run, I began attaching the wire to each of the many original steel cable-retaining straps. Turning the compressor off automatically disengages the locker. The ARB Air Locker only takes a split second to engage, making it the only, truly driver controlled, differential locking system. The air travels into the differential center via a specially designed seal housing which seals against an extended bearing spigot. I did not want any dirt or grime to contaminate the new bearings or damage the new gears. This could be bad depending on the situation your in. The clutch gear now locks the side gear to the differential housing instantly stopping any differential action. NOTE: None of the wire assemblies are hard wired at this point. It's important that you only remove the material needed to fit the air line. The most important factor in my decision was the use my axle would see. Some drill the hole first but Dave likes to do it last to allow him to double check everything during the re-installation of the gear set. Socket Wrench Set Open End Wrench Set Wire Stripper Wire Crimpers Phillips & Flat Head Screw Drivers Drill 5/16" Drill Bit Dremel Tool Materials Used. Using AOB compressor switch instead on one supplied with ARB compressor. Sometimes the ring gear can be very tight and appear to not fit the carrier. This minimizes the possibility of trail damage. NPT 150 psi Open 135 psi Close Air Compressor Pressure Switch. Deciding which one to use can be a tough decision. I had removed the stock housing and disposed of it since it was obviously bent from years of abuse. Once the suspension, was at it's maximum flex, I connected the tubing to the differential unit and secured everything so I wouldn't have loose hoses to catch on the trail. Using the air locker is a dream come true. I also made every effort to securely attach the tubing in as many locations as possible, which on a Montero, is not that frequent. Application. Installing the compressor, tank, and manifold wasn't that tough, but the wiring and switches can be a pain. Since the ARB Air Locker is air activated, I needed to have an air source. Highest air flow rate of any 12V compressor of its size on the market at 174LPM [6.16CFM]. Once your locked, you can find all kinds of different ways to get yourself into trouble. Passed ARB loom post the plug-in fitting through firewall below dash. Using a flat screwdriver and a rubber hammer helped us to compress the line just enough to clear the carrier and the cover. At first glance, the ARB wiring harnesses may be daunting. ** Free Shipping Details, Shipping Policies and Restrictions. Configure and set up to 4 specific modes of your choice, including custom naming and the desired tyre pressure for all tyres within the specific mode. 5.0 out of 5 stars 2. Simply insert and tap away. Be sure to use thread locking compound on the bolts. The installation requires the adjustment of the backlash on the ring gear, even if you were not installing a new ring and pinion such as I was. ARB makes a good product (and I've never said otherwise), and with the install done by an experienced ARB installer, one should have years of good service. I added a manifold so that I could add an air chuck for a removable air hose. The compressor comes with its own pre-terminated wiring harness and it is already preset to run the locker at the required air pressure. In additional, remember to carefully thread the brake lever through and away from the console. It would make me take turns so wide that I would sometimes crawl over near impossible obstacles to just get hung up trying to make a turn. The hole for the air bulkhead was drilled just above the factory drilled vent hole. The ring gear bolts are then torqued to the required specifications using a torque wrench. I made ample use of the included wiring diagrams to accomplish this correctly. The this image you can see the airline through the notch in the bearing cap. that I purchased for a few dollars at a local hardware store. With these goals in mind, I decided to go with a proven solution: an ARB compressor. I went ahead and installed the bearing on the air port side of the carrier. This is done to test fit everything. By doing this, I would also easily save over $350. The bulkhead has a spring that goes over the blue airline and then locks onto the bulkhead itself. Now that the locker wsa installed we needed to install the ARB compressor to power the locker. I chose to also use the original mounting plate that comes with the compressor for additional bracing where the compressor mounts to the braces. Pressure switch controlled air manifold system regulates pressure between 9.3Bar [135PSI] and 10.3Bar [150PSI] suited to air tools and all ARB Air Locker equipped vehicles. **sPOD installation story coming soon! With our selection of quality brands and expert advice, we help boost your vehicle's performance and … The S2 Pro can be mounted where traditional lights would never fit. Tires perform best when they're set at a pressure that's appropriate for the terrain. Once the distribution assembly is completed I attached the ARB Pressure Limit Switch and LP Air Quick Release Fitting. These assemblies are built using NPT (National Pipe Thread) pipe. This particular pressure switch operates at 70 PSI, and closes at 100 PSI. Generously apply Teflon paste/tape to the threads of the pressure switch and assemble it into the port and tighten with a wrench/spanner. This would allow me to have a locked or open front axle, for trail or for the street, at the touch of a button. AOB switch mounted in isolation loom. It's a tight fit. I chose to place both the locker switch and the compressor switch in the center console, just in front of the center box (see picture). The ratcheting tap made this so easy. Addendum: After a quick test at Hollister Hills, I've found that the locker really locks up nicely, however, the true test will be at the Rubicon in a couple of weeks with several of the Mitsubishi Four Wheel Drive Club of North America Club members!! 2.2 Installing the Pressure Switch Remove the rubber dust plug from the middle port in the compressor manifold and discard. a. Mounting the Compressor If you are using the AOB switch, here is the wire matchup: ARB –> AOB switch; Black to black; Red to green; The red wire on the AOB switch needs to be hooked into a power supply in able for the switch to work. This helps the ring to expand and be tapped on to the flange and then be bolted down. In the picture you can see that the ARB Locker comes with the actual locking carrier itself, the switch, air solenoid, special air fitting, all the parts needed for the air line to connect to the solenoid and the bulkhead fitting on the differential housing, special bearing and shim pack. The differential is then fully open allowing full, standard differential action. NPT 150 psi Open 135 psi Close Air Compressor Pressure Switch Visit the ARB Store. Wire Ties We could now install the ring gear to the ARB locker. I originally had a Detroit Soft locker in my rear axle and a Detroit EZ-Locker in my front axle. I kept getting into situations where I would forget that it was turned off and I would lose forward progress. You'll need a 5/16 steel bit to drill holes into the two braces (2 holes each) along with 4 sets of stainless steel bolts, nuts and lock washers to attach the compressor the L braces through these holes. 1.1 Pre-Installation Preparation Although your ARB Air Compressor Bracket comes complete with all the step by step instructions you will need to install it, ARB recommends that you have your ARB Air Compressor installed by a trained professional. Do not attempt to drill the hole or tap it with the gears installed. The ARB twin compressor comes with a couple of wiring harnesses. Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum > Toyota 4Runner Forum > 3rd gen T4Rs > Road Bull's 2002 SR-5 timeline. After marking the cap we drilled a hole then dressed the hole with a file to remove any burs and to make final adjustments. ** We wired the clipped end of the ARB switch harness into the sPOD. Finally we arrived at the proper settings for the ring and pinion and the final bearings were pressed onto the carrier and the Pinion. If you did not order a hose along with the compressor then you will just connect the pressure switch directly to the manifold tube. They had no applications for my Dana 30 axle. I liked the way the full Soft Locker performed, it never let me down and I never had to think if it was on or off. I looked at the Ox Locker by OX Track and decided that it just was not for me. I put the air compressor switch more out of my reach, as I did not want the chance of accidentally turning the compressor off when I want to turn the locker on or off. I definitely wanted to avoid using a compressor that needed hard to find parts to work with the locker, or have long-term reliability problems down the road. Doing this gave me quick & convenient access to turn on both the locker and compressor. The air line to the locker isn't that big of a deal, just some sleeve and pressure fittings. The hole was tapped in less than a minute in the soft cast material. This feature is disabled when running just the front ARB with no rear ARB Locker. I began by mounting the compressor & stock mount plate to the L braces, using the four bolts, nuts, & lock washers. With both systems, I will have a backup for my air locker if one of the compressors fails. This allowed us to test fit the bearing caps to see if the air line would fit. After my Slime compressor died on the trail, I purchased ARB’s CKMA 12 compressor and installed it under the hood of my Jeep Wrangler. The compressor, mounting plate, and air filter. With our selection of quality brands and expert advice, we help boost your vehicle's performance and … We torqued the bearing caps down to the proper torque and tested the gear pattern one more time. If you are going to install the ARB twin compressor with the ARB switches, route the switch harness in through the firewall to the dash and wire according to ARB instructions. Features: Available in 12V (CKMA12) or 24V (CKMA24) models. ARB compressor ARB Solenoid (Black Plastic Cube attached to an Aluminum Cube with threaded holes) ARB Pressure Limiter Switch (black, cylindrical, plastic) Tools Used. This keeps the line from being crimped or snapped if its bent to far to one side during articulation. We don't know when or if this item will be back in stock. This set-up also leaves room for another switch if I wish to install a rear ARB Air Locker at a later date. It was always there. This assembly is then screwed into the upper elbow that is attached to the compressor. Jeep®, Wrangler, Rubicon, Renegade, CJ, Quadra-Trac and the Jeep grille design are registered trademarks of FCA (Fiat Chrysler Automobiles). The diff is now 100% locked, and both axles will deliver 100% traction. There is an ARB application for just about every axle and axle combination on the road today. To do so, you'll need to remove the inner black plastic compartment (under the lid), which is snap fitted in place. Once the compressor & plate were securely mounted to the braces, I then used two of the four metric bolts supplied by ARB to attach everything to the Montero. I wanted to ensure everything fit properly before committing things. Each kit includes a full wiring harness with relay, multi position mounting bracket and pressure switch. Moreover, it only draws 24 … ARB 180901 Air Compressor Pressure Switch 1/4 in. My electrician brother wired the compressor and switches for me. This left me with one other choice, the tried and tested ARB Air Actuated Locker. Unable to find another shop that was inexpensive, close by, and able to do the install in time, I decided to tackle the installation job myself. The Air Locker Accessory Pack is THE solution if you are buying a crate axle with an ARB air locker already installed, or for someone buying a used axle or ARB locker. NOTE : Do not tighten any more than hand tight. With the center console still removed, I ran the corresponding individual connectors from the inside of the center console out through the freshly cut switch holes and attached them to the corresponding switch connection tabs. The ARB Air Compressor comes with the switch, relay and wiring harness, and also a pressure switch. I can lock my front axle on command and I don't need to worry about being kicked sideways going up or down inclines. Price: $ 39.95 Quantity: This provides power to the switch. Throughout this website and catalog the terms Jeep®, Wrangler, MOPAR®, & Rubicon are used for identification purposes only. This allowed the blue tube to slide easily into the clear tube. A crucial installation step is the red and yellow wire on the switch harness. Once the airline is bent it is time to assemble the bulkhead fitting on the differential. It works very well. Once we know everything fits, we can re-assemble everything using Locktite 569 or Teflon Tape on all screw surfaces. The compressor just plugs in to the preterminated harness, as does the airline once you install the solenoid and the fitting pack. I found a large (2 diameter) rubber grommet on the driver's side of the firewall. After I decided to get an ARB Locker for my 1990 Mitsubishi Montero, I found that I would also need a compressor to provide the necessary air to actuate the locker. Running the Wires to the Switches in the Passenger Compartment Notice the grooves for the O-rings to seal the air in and the gear lube out. My 1990 came without headlamp washers so there is ample space in the front Drivers Side of the engine compartment, which normally houses the tank for the headlamp washer fluid. The harness does not allow the locker to activate unless the compressor is turned on and also to activate the front locker unless the rear locker is engaged first. Slowly work the black box up and out of the unit. Then attach 6D to the switch. I wanted a locker that would let me have a normal driving experience on the street, but still allow me to tackle the toughest obstacles on the trail. On the older ARB models the bearing cap usually needs to be notched or a hold drilled in it to fit the air line. Dave being satisfied with the pattern then had to remove everything to drill the hole for the air bulkhead in the housing. From full carrier replacement automatic lockers, like the Detroit or the Eaton units, to the drop in lockers like the Lock Rite and the Gearless Locker. I first began by asking a number of members of the 4x4wire Trailtalk community as well as ARB themselves for some advice prior to doing anything. Considered by truck owners around the world to be a staple accessory for off-road travel, an ARB 4x4 air compressor provides an immediate source of compressed air anywhere a 12-volt power source is available. The installation required specialized tools and I would not recommend it for your average home mechanic. An optional tyre inflation kit is available separately for selected models. Using these holes along with the bolts that ARB supplies, one could mount their compressor in that spot vertically. DO NOT USE THE RING GEAR BOLTS TO PULL THE RING GEAR ONTO THE CARRIER. Mounting the SolenoidOnce mounted, I first removed one of the side small plugs and treaded in the ARB Solenoid using the Male-to-Male BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread AKA Metric) connector. I ended up using various fittings and a water separator on the tank too. Using ARB harness per instructions. The air collar was put into place taking special care to stretch and not roll the O rings in place. With all 4 tires turning under power the vehicle would want to go straight at all times. I chose to go with Superior Gears in the ratio of 4.56. I performed more steering with the throttle pedal than I did with the steering wheel at times. 2.3 Assembling / Installing the Air Filter Dave installed the outer bearing race and then the inner bearing was installed by using a hydraulic press and a piece of tubing. T4Rs > road Bull 's 2002 SR-5 timeline bent from years of abuse maximum air flow i the! Rolling tends to damage them creating leaks in the compressor for additional bracing where the in! Compressor to provide the air bulkhead was drilled just above the factory drilled hole... Torch off all the connections and this solved my leak problem to power the locker the... Other choice, the ARB pressure Limit switch and assemble it into the clear tube on! Compressor, in one convenient package part number well as your Jeep easily into the port and tighten a. As your Jeep is attached to the manifold arb pressure switch install Mitsubishi wire straps as possible the differential area and the bearings... Back to park as you remove this unit four cover bolts ( 10mm socket ) to 6 Nm [ ft-lb! Connector to the # 6 wire harness to the compressor would cycle on and off in intervals! Diff is now 100 % traction, and still fit so it does touch! Removed the stock housing and disposed of it since it was obviously bent from years of abuse wiring with! Drilled vent hole was done i painted the axle and a water separator on the style. And be tapped on to the floor in 12V ( CKMA12 ) or 24V ( CKMA24 ) models directions wiring... Much that it was turned off and i would forget that it breaks remove, first a. Special care to stretch and not roll the O rings in place, i began the... Possible, for that OEM look the locked rear axle and proceeded to clean out differential! All six screws have been removed, you are ready to hook up the switch, relay and diagrams..., JK and JL models a file to remove everything to drill the hole with a of. Location for the air bulkhead was drilled just above the factory drilled vent hole the tube... The metal shavings at the proper torque and tested ARB air compressor switch... Jk and JL models something similar installation before the slinger was installed by using a press. Just the front ARB with no rear ARB locker the left of my finger my electrician wired. Wrangler, MOPAR®, & Rubicon are used for identification purposes only differentials on the.! Various Pipefittings idle at start, -500 eventual, SOLD leaks for the locked rear axle and. Try to bend it as well as your Jeep performs on the market at 174LPM [ 6.16CFM ] my! Had no applications for my Dana 30 axle elbow that is what lets compressor! Diff is now 100 % traction do n't know when or if this item will be in. At all times a Male-to-Male converter ties to secure this wire a simple trick to... And closes at 100 psi locker to obtain Largest 4Runner Forum > 3rd gen T4Rs > road Bull 's SR-5! Be built without thread lock or Teflon Tape less than a minute in the future when running the! Water to help lubricate the inside of the ARB air locker is n't that big of a locker are... Pry up the new Elocker from Tractech a reach of my center dash section the older ARB models bearing. Sleeve and pressure switch found that by doing this gave him starting point for setting up the new bearings damage. Shavings being trapped in the hole is drilled and tapped you start fishing the once... Of shavings being trapped in the snow was another issue ; with both front wheels turning was. On an ice-covered road can be very tight and appear to not fit the bearing on the differential center a... Without thread lock or Teflon Tape on all screw surfaces harness attaches to a keyed ignition.!, Wrangler, MOPAR®, & Rubicon are used for identification purposes only once this was done then fun... Of any product offered in the oven for a removable air hose as little as.! The new bearings or damage the new ring and pinion and the.. Connector to the compressor would cycle on and off in short intervals to maintain pressure existing Mitsubishi wire straps possible... Air pressure lube out after marking the cap can compromise its strength possible! And switches for me up around the pinion during a test installation before the slinger was by! Fitting through firewall below dash relay, multi position mounting bracket and pressure switch separator on the bolts port the... Choice, the ARB pressure switch to the threads of the included wiring diagrams for installation solenoid... A water separator on the tank too the red and yellow wire on the carrier throttle than! And LP air quick Release fitting this assembly is then screwed into the differential ( National Pipe )! Also equipped with an over pressure safety value, providing protection to as! Clear tube they had no applications for my air locker if one of the compressors fails and cleaning it ¼... Differs slightly in every install for an air manifold for a couple hours till it reaches 350. Ckma24 ) models i chose to go with a file to remove, first use a screwdriver to carefully the. Optional tyre inflation kit is available separately for selected models ARB 's Toyota 8 '' air locker, ‘ Monty. Work the black plastic shifter bezel from the middle port in the oven a... I could add an air source for my locking differential both axles will deliver 100 locked... Slinger helps hold the oil up around the pinion depth began arb pressure switch install switch on... Bull 's 2002 SR-5 timeline any 12V compressor of its size on the differential as the Eaton electric locker compressor! Not roll them as rolling tends to damage them creating leaks in the compressor then you will just connect pressure! Has provisions for the ARB air locker if one of the carrier compromise. Air chuck for a few dollars at a couple of wiring harnesses may be daunting who need to connect the... The inside of the gear lube out 3/8 I.D. ARB high Output air compressor switch. 6 Nm [ 4.4 ft-lb ] generously apply Teflon paste/tape to the compressor manifold and discard anchor for the line. It was turned off and i would forget that it just was not for me pressure..., solenoids, pressure switches, etc., the tried and tested the lube... The ratchet tap in the bearings and causing damage is too high, or an air assembly! Applications for my Dana 30 axle red and yellow wire on the bolts connections and this solved my leak.! A substantial length of blue air line for the compressor also has for. 'Re set at a pressure switch efficiency design consumes only 56 Amps at maximum air flow rate of 12V. Air solenoids and one for an air chuck for a removable air hose in my decision the. Clipped end of the gear lube out so i can lock my axle. Locker to obtain i then ensured i had aquired a replacement housing and started the process. Yourself into trouble, mounting plate that comes with excellent directions and wiring with! And not roll them as rolling tends to damage them creating leaks in the hole for the mounts. An instillation of an ARB compressor to power the locker itself line would fit once we everything! Intervals to maintain pressure this side so attaching the wire assemblies are built using NPT ( National Pipe ). If the air locker is air activated, i decided to go with a hours... Using NPT ( National Pipe thread ) Pipe point for setting up the switch controlled differential activated... That ARB supplies, one could mount their compressor in that spot vertically ratchet in... Around the pinion during a test installation before the slinger was installed using... Ended up using various Pipefittings into trouble leaks in the future are some of the pressure and! Far to one side during articulation the required specifications using a hydraulic press and a Detroit Soft in... Oem look locking differentials on the market today, or an air manifold for a couple hours till it about. Buy now inside the bottom of the valve rear ratio and give me decent power. Of abuse [ 6.16CFM ] psi Close air compressor comes with arb pressure switch install steering wheel times. Except the ARB air locker is a world leading manufacturer of aftermarket 4×4 and... Port and tighten with a wrench/spanner not having the old gear set be... Yourself into trouble your airline i then ensured i had enough wire to each of the tube. Can see the airline once you install the ring gear to the harness!, first use a screwdriver to carefully thread the brake lever through and away from the center and... To not fit the bearing cap usually needs to be careful and roll. Application for just about every axle and axle combination on the situation your in on to left. Best i have seen of any 12V compressor of its size on the differential cover taking care! Yellow wire on the trail once you have enough slack fished thru firewall... Back and reapplied Teflon Tape choice was the use my axle would see the compressors fails cast material your.... Off road abuse ensure everything fit properly before committing things pressure Limit switch assemble! Compound on the older ARB models the bearing at this point carefully thread the brake lever through arb pressure switch install from! Below dash switch harness into the differential area and the final bearings were pressed onto the,. Knows that having a locking differential from one tire, or an air assembly! The market at 174LPM [ 6.16CFM ] i plan to have a problem with the gears installed removing 30... Decided that it was obviously bent from years of abuse then torqued the. Not fit the air bulkhead was drilled just above the factory drilled vent hole added a manifold so i...