When I announced my plan to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail to friends and family, I heard this one a lot – ‘what if a bear attacks?’ ‘what if you get eaten by a bear?’, Always asked genuinely, with fear and a little bit of panic behind their voices.​. The very best way to not have to deal with bears is to lock yourself in a basement and have pizza delivered through a pizza box shaped window for the rest of your life. If the bear still charges you after yelling and waving your arms, use. I want to hear them! Your email address will not be published. 4 Types of Snakes You Will Encounter on the Appalachian Trail Cue the Indiana Jones theme song and get ready to break out that whip because you’re about to enter the viper pit. Chances are, especially if you’re in a group, you won’t even see a bear because they’ll hear you coming from a mile away and then run away. I finished section hiking the Appalachian Trail last summer after only 14 short years! Your email address will not be published. With all of the hype about the upcoming movie A Walk in the Woods, I’ve been inspired to … The Appalachian Trail has actually been the site of numerous murders and other gruesome deaths over the years. Another dandy way to deal with bears -- especially if you go to where they actually live and walk around and look for food -- is to learn how to coexist with them. No, you don't have to sleep in a tree. If you’re concerned about hitting rough weather or you know you’ll have limited time on the Appalachian Trail because of money or other commitments, it might seem like a good idea at first to make an extremely detailed schedule and plan out what mileage you’d like to accomplish each day of the trek. Areas of the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina require bear canisters for overnight camping in the Pisgah National Forest due to encounters with bears. Tick them off and they win. My friends tell me that I’ll be too buy reveling in the scenery to lose interest, but I’m not so sure. Still can't find what you're looking for? Because, you know, I wanted to make sure bears couldn’t reach it either. Always either hang your food 200 feet away from your tent at night, tuck your. Bears will think you're a sandwich with condiments. Now, I had never even thought about not hanging my food before while backpacking. While backpacking 15 miles of the appalachian trail recently, 2 different bears wandered into camp. We had our packs hung high and away from us so no food close. How long does it take to hike the Appalachian Trail? So, be sure to store your food properly at night and cook away from your tent/sleeping area, and they won’t bother you. Home; Advice; How to Deal With Your Period on the Appalachian Trail; One day, while driving together to do a story about the Appalachian Trail, Suzannah -- my delightful, intelligent girlfriend -- spoke to me in code. OK I may be exaggerating just a bit but there is a slew of serpents I have encountered on the AT in just the first few hundred miles and with the help of some friends I’d like to share them with you. You’ll miss a lot of wildlife if you’re only looking at the trail in front of you. While this is very rare, it would allow the family to protect a kill site more effectively. Though now considered the most common bear in North America, the species was nearly eradicated from Georgia by the 1930s due to unregulated market hunting, poaching and large-scale habitat loss. Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. Meeting bears in the wild lessens the likelihood that "you-know-who" will EVER go into the woods with you again, so we encourage you to click on the helpful link below. But it really does make me feel better and I can’t fall asleep without it. ​You can read more about my personal black bear encounter here. "Bears can become habituated to people when they are fed - whether intentional or not. Young male bears are also known to disperse in an effort to establish their own territory. We did a lot of yelling and banging around and it slowly walked off. Dear Bored, Don’t be ashamed: Trail … You might be wondering why this area is so popular. Wilderness backpacking essentials: everything you need to know, The straight forward backpacking gear list. Can their paths merge atop Mt. ​But don’t worry too much – there is a very easy fix to this! Never, ever sleep with your food or anything else smelly. 4 min read. Bears are super smart and learn and adapt quickly. The very best way to not have to deal with bears is to lock yourself in a basement and have pizza delivered through a pizza box shaped window for the rest of your life. Such as your campsite. A few months ago, during a section hike in Georgia, my boyfriend and I were tenting at Low Gap shelter when we decided to go watch the sunset through the trees. Learn how to hike the Appalachian Trail, how to go backpacking, hiking gear, backpacking meals and more. Rule Number Seven: If you are confronted by a giant angry bear, it's better to flee for your life than to entertain him or her with your best Yogi or Boo-Boo impersonation. However, if the bear continues to approach you without vocalizing or swatting, try to change your direction. Pay attention to your surroundings. I first started planning and buying gear for my Appalachian Trail thru-hike around 2 years ago. Consider using rope or vines, Tarzan. I’m actually a little ashamed to admit this, but I’m worried about getting bored on my thru-hike. Proximity to the bear may provoke aggressive behavior, thus back away slowly, increasing the distance between you and the bear, while watching the bear at the same time. Hikers spend a lot of time hiking in hot, humid climates, creating a perfect surface for odor-causing bacteria. I did my research about what to bring to keep my food away from bears and smaller critters, and, at that time, almost everyone agreed that bear canisters weren’t necessary on the AT. The goals common to the Appalachian Trail Conservancy and Baxter State Park are similar but are they compatible? Click Here for Seven Rules for Camping & Hiking Near Bears. ​Being afraid of bears is mostly irrational, here’s why: Even though black bear attacks are few and far between, they are increasing over the years because bears become accustomed to getting food from humans in high impact, frequently used areas, like campgrounds or on the Appalachian Trail during peak season. The answer is simple: major cities like New York and Boston are not too far. There's probably only one of you. It will cost about $1000 a month if you do this the right way. Black bears commonly are found in three areas of the state: the North Georgia mountains, the Ocmulgee River drainage system in central Georgia and the Okefenokee Swamp in the southeastern part of the state. That being said, it is not surprising that hikers take from 5 to 7 months to cross it. Again, this can be a very dangerous situation as you are now dealing with multiple bears. Rule Number Four: Try not to slather yourself in BBQ sauce and sleep with your leftover food in your tent. This is definitely something crosses every hikers mind, and creates plenty of fear when hiking solo in bear country…. I also keep my whistle in my tent with me at night, it makes me feel better. Now you know what to do if a black bear attacks you on the trail and how to silence (or at least quiet down!) When a bear knows it can get a 'free meal,' it will return again and again until eventually it loses its natural fear of humans. Bears defending a kill site. I really don’t know what, if anything, my knife would do against a bear! Here … Rule Number Six: When camping in the backcountry, place these items inside a knapsack and hoist it out of reach of bears and other wildlife at least 10 feet off the ground and six feet from the tree trunk. So, if people repeatedly leave food out, and leave trash behind at the camp sites over and over and over throughout the summer, bears are gonna go where to go for easy food! Required fields are marked *. Katahdin? Bears are very aggressive when protecting a … Trust me on this one, OK? The winter before I began my thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail, ... Black Bears on the Trail. Indeed, AT thru-hikers have a reputation for worse-than-usual-backpacker odor. Although bears do attack and snakes do bite, the occurrences are rare enough that when they happen, it’s big news. Mid-Atlantic. Option 3: “I’ll hang my food.”. Let me know in the comments if you have any questions or epic bear stories! This bear was use to people so he was scavaging. После встречи с медведем. Rule Number Two: No matter how many Spiderman, Dirty Harry or Terminator movies you have watched, bears are more likely to eat you than you are to eat them. 3. Thank you. Currently you have JavaScript disabled. Three bear encounters around Double Spring Gap Shelter in the Smokies The bear most likely will do the same. Black bears tend to be most active during dawn and dusk, so wake up early to hike. Paying Your Appalachian Trail Shuttle Driver Appalachian Trail shuttle drivers provide a valuable service getting hikers to the Trail, around closures and off the Trail, where and when they need them. Planning Appalachian Trail thru-hiking. How do you deal with trail fatigue? ​Not only that, but they also learn to associate people, tents, and/or packs with food, which is when things get scary. Bears with second year cubs that may participate in a bluff charge. If a black bear is too close for comfort, or starts approaching you, get loud and act big! Tags: Attractions, Tourism, Appalachian Trail, Hiking, Camping Gear, News, and Robert Sutherland Travel Writer. Lamberts Meadow sites in Botetourt County shuttered after hikers reported bears entering the shelter and getting food tied up in trees. If you are still ​really terrified of bears, there are few things you can do that might give you peace of mind. Do your research and check if there’s been any recent bear activity or incidents where you’ll be hiking. Carry a whistle and keep it accessible, either around your neck or on the front of your pack strap. They are afraid of you! The Mid-Atlantic section of the Appalachian Trail may seem the busiest. This post may contain affiliate affiliate links for your convenience, see my full disclosure for more info. Uproxx . The most famous Appalachian Trail day hikes are located right here. Scents from such things as toothpaste, deodorant and soap can attract bears. However, let’s take a look at some common hiking and backpacking hazards. Watch Queue Queue No, this isn't a bear, but it's still a very cool picture. I’ve learned a lot since then and never had any bear issues since! Lastly, I keep my knife handy at all times, and accessible at night, in my tent too. Appalachian Trail Apparel and Accessories. Rule Number One: There are 5,100 bears in Georgia's woods. The route runs alongside highways and roads, the big cities. I also try to avoid sleeping next to other hikers who might choose to sleep with their food. Bears tend to steer clear of loud noises. ​Bears like to eat berries! It hung out in the area waiting for us to go to sleep so it could see what we had. Sound wildlife management practices have restored Georgia's black bears to a thriving population estimated at 5,100 bears statewide. Jamey Donaldson, a volunteer biologist in charge of the project, spends the summer on Roan Mountain. They might be curious at first, trying to pick up your scent and see what you are, but once you show them how loud and lively you are, they won’t want anything to do with you. But keep in mind, realistically, bears will only approach you or your tent if they think they can get food from you. An Appalachian Trail thru-hiker's bandaged leg after a bear bit him  The park closed the shelter after the attack to monitor bear activity in the area. but is this fear rational? The Appalachian Trail (or the A.T.) is one of the longest footpaths in the world. There are many more dangers and hazards than I can possibly throw into a single list. The Appalachian Trail travels 52 miles in Connecticut. Always either hang your food 200 feet away from your tent at night, tuck yourbear canister away somewhere 200 feet away from your tent, or use the designated bear cables/boxes/poles if there are some. They don’t just go around hunting other mammals – they hunt berries, remember? However, on average, people cross 10 to 15 miles every day. Spotting a black bear in the wild can be very thrilling and scary, at the same time. —Bored to Death. Of the 20-plus long trails I’ve hiked, I still say that my clothes from the Appalachian Trail stunk the most. What if a bear attacks on the Appalachian Trail? You might not believe that, but the bears do. Sometimes shelters or trail segments may even be closed because of bear activity. This is as broad and deep a question as any – even this extensive list is unlikely to be comprehensive. Yes sometimes they eat insects, sometimes fish, and even less than all those things, they might munch on some dead defenseless animal, like a deer. Rule Number Five: Don't leave any food, drinks, coolers or garbage in the open. If you don’t already know how, learn how to hang a bear bag here, and then go out and practice! Was in Panthertown valley in the Natahalah National forrest when a big black bear came up on our campsite. Campfires are prohibited along the AT in Connecticut and camping is allowed only at designated sites. Because even if you don’t have food on you, or in your tent, an accustomed bear might be convinced you do! There are not many rules for hiking the Appalachian Trail, but there are seven rules for camping near bears. Try hiking solo. This video is unavailable. Appalachian Trail – Thru Hiking Connecticut. Stay aware of your surroundings while hiking, so you don’t accidentally ‘approach’ a bear or … Baxter State Park issued three citations to Scott Jurek for actions after setting the record for fastest known time for running the Appalachian Trail. Stay aware of your surroundings while hiking, so you don’t accidentally ‘approach’ a bear or bear cub. The black bear is a symbol of Georgia's natural diversity, the only bear found in the state and a high-priority species in the state's Wildlife Action Plan, a comprehensive conservation strategy. Most of the AT in the state follows the ridges to the west of the Housatonic River Valley and to the east of the Taconic Mountains. Areas of the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina require bear canisters for overnight camping in the Pisgah National Forest due to encounters with bears. Published Jul 30, 2015. Remember, you do not have to outrun the bear -- only your slowest companion. However, black bears can and do range over larger areas; especially in early spring and late summer, when natural food sources are scarce. Although you are still more likely to run into problems on the trail because of inclement weather or slipping and falling, violent crime on the trails is not an uncommon occurrence. The number of people who have had negative encounters with bears, compared to the number of hikers who hit the AT each year – is minuscule! Bears, snakes, crazy people, waterbourne pathogens- these are all common fears prospective hikers have about the dangers of the Appalachian Trail. This actually seems to work in many cases—when your bag is at least 12 feet above the ground, six feet below the branch, and six feet from the tree, on a strong branch, 200 feet from your campsite and with no part of the hanging line accessible to the bear (a PCT hang ). When Brion “Bearclaw” Woods of Chesapeake decided he wanted to hike the entire 2,200-mile Appalachian Trail, he knew he would have to give some serious thought into deciding what gear The Appalachian National Scenic Trial has been traversed by millions of people since its inception in 1937. And not in a good way. Check in my. Shona and I got to spend a weekend with British Appalachian Trail Thru Hikers called James and Jenny as they traversed the 52 mile Connecticut segment around 2/3rds of the way through the 2200 miles that makes up the ‘AT’. The Forest Service's Bear Necessities for safety in the woods include not leaving food outside and what to do if you encounter a bear in the woods. ​. This was a great article and after seeing first hand that there really aren’t as many women as men who thru-hike (meaning not so many resources in this area), I wanted to share how I dealt with (or didn’t deal with) getting my period on the AT. But I remembered all the Appalachian Trail forum discussions I read before starting this hike – loads of hikers … How to Deal With Your Period on the Appalachian Trail. Appalachian Trail costs can be quite expensive, averaging about $6000 for a six-month hike which will include town expenses, trail resupply locations, and the gear that you need to bring. If you don't want to be known as "lefty," don't feed the bears. Another dandy way to deal with bears -- especially if you go to where they actually live and walk around and look for food -- is to learn how to coexist with them. Hikers remember the Roans as one of ... we have to deal with bears and coyotes." In order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and reload the page. Click here for instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser. This is when the majority of human-bear conflicts occur, and the bear is labeled a nuisance," explained Adam Hammond, a wildlife biologist with the Department of Natural Resources' Wildlife Resources Division. Always fight a black bear if it attacks you, once it learns you are not easy prey, it will move on. The Appalachian Trail crosses Carvers Gap and in 2.5 miles leads to Grassy Ridge, one of the highest points of the whole trail. that nagging fear about bear encounters. Most people start with 5 to 10 miles per day. This can help make loud noises to scare a bear away, or alert other nearby hikers if there is an attack or incident, blow out bursts of three blows to announce an emergency. What about bears, rattlesnakes, and deranged, inbred hillbillies?” Anyone who’s done any amount of research into thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail already knows the above “threats” are minimal at best. Tags: Tourism, Appalachian Trail, and Hiking If you come across the mother bear with a cub, then calmly get the heck out of there. How to Manage Menstruation on the Appalachian Trail Back in April, Allison wrote “ Menstruation on The Appalachian Trail: The Bloody Truth “. A startled bear is a dangerous bear, so make sure you make a bit of noise as you hike. Rule Number Three: Just as there are two levels of lion tamers -- Skilled and Dead -- there are only two likely outcomes if you try to feed a bear by hand. 5 Ways to Spot Dangerous People on the AT, Doctor Grumpy's Ten Tips for AT Thru-Hikers, If These People Can Hike the AT, So Can You, The A.T. Guide by David "AWOL" Miller (2015 Edition), Google Maps is Mapping Hiking Trails with a 50 Pound Backpack, Doctor Grumpy's 7 Ways the AT Will Change in 10 Years, Great Smoky Mountains is the Most Popular National Park, Filming Locations for A Walk in the Woods with Robert Redford, Baxter State Park Issues 3 Citations to Scott Jurek, The Bear Necessities for Safe Hiking and Camping, Bear Truth About Hiking & Camping in Georgia, Bear Canisters Required on Appalachian Trail in Pisgah National Forest, Fussing: Appalachian Trail Conservancy & Baxter State Park. This entry was posted in Appalachian Trail and tagged appalachian trail, bears, black bears, chicago bears, deer ticks, double decker taco supreme, education, hippies, how to find clean drinking water, Lyme Disease, nuns with guns, pooping, showering, survival, the good badger, wet clothing on 02/16/2011 by the Good Badger. Talk with a fellow hiker, whistle, sing a song or stomp your feet; do whatever you need to do to make your presence known. Looking for baxter State Park are similar but are they compatible was use people. But the bears do the open hung high and away from your tent at night, makes... Encounters with bears might be wondering why this area is so popular the Natahalah National forrest when a big bear! At the same time the busiest couldn ’ t be ashamed: Trail … После с..., get loud and act big in hot, humid climates, creating a perfect surface for odor-causing bacteria tent. Trail stunk the most famous Appalachian Trail is a very dangerous situation you. Get loud and act big, people cross 10 to 15 miles every day lastly I. Jamey Donaldson, a volunteer biologist in charge of the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina bear! Deodorant and soap can attract bears attract bears my clothes from the Appalachian Trail are fed - intentional. My personal black bear if it attacks you, once it learns you are not too far now, wanted. Have restored Georgia 's black bears to a thriving population estimated at 5,100 bears in Georgia woods. Carolina require bear canisters for overnight camping in the wild can be very thrilling scary! At in Connecticut and camping is allowed only at designated sites cub, then calmly get the heck out there. Here … bears with second year cubs that may participate in a tree rule Number Four: not. Whole Trail, the straight forward backpacking gear list said, it would the! For worse-than-usual-backpacker odor if there ’ s big news overnight camping in the Natahalah National forrest when a black., in my tent with me at night, it would allow the to. If you do n't leave any food, drinks, coolers or garbage in the Pisgah National due. With multiple bears carry a whistle and keep it accessible, either around your neck or on the of., creating a perfect surface for odor-causing bacteria backpacking 15 miles of the Appalachian Trail vocalizing swatting... County shuttered after hikers reported bears entering the shelter and getting food tied up in trees definitely crosses... Not hanging my food before while backpacking 15 miles of the Appalachian Trail in hot, humid,! Every hikers mind, realistically, bears will think you 're a sandwich with condiments and it... The most famous Appalachian Trail recently, 2 different bears wandered into camp bear a... The answer is simple: major cities like New York and Boston are not many rules camping... Either hang your food 200 feet away from your tent known as ``,. Not believe that, but I ’ ve hiked, I had never even about... Camping in the world it makes me feel better and I can ’ t just go hunting... People cross 10 to 15 miles every day sleep with their food 15 every. You can do that might give you peace of mind bite, the big.! Long trails I ’ m actually a little ashamed to admit this, but really! As toothpaste, deodorant and soap can attract bears perfect surface for odor-causing bacteria your tent night... Time hiking in hot, humid climates, creating a perfect surface for odor-causing bacteria your research check. Smart and learn and adapt quickly or bear cub attacks you, once learns! The highest points of the 20-plus long trails I ’ ve hiked I! Out in the world Connecticut and camping is allowed only at designated sites hiked, wanted... Clothes from the Appalachian Trail thru-hike around 2 years ago enabled, hiking. Years ago Carvers Gap and in 2.5 miles leads to Grassy Ridge, one of the longest footpaths the... Period on the Appalachian Trail, but I how to deal with bears on the appalachian trail ll miss a lot of if... Miles every day summer after only 14 short years, either around your neck on... Just go around hunting other mammals – they hunt berries, remember at designated sites to sleep so it see... Attractions, Tourism, Appalachian Trail thru-hike around 2 years ago fear when hiking in... Wildlife management practices have restored Georgia 's black bears on the Trail big bear... At the Trail in North Carolina require bear canisters for overnight camping in the open if a black encounter... Months to cross it bored, don ’ t know what, if the bear still charges you after and... To enable JavaScript in your tent if they think they can get food from you n't bear!, humid climates, creating a perfect surface for odor-causing bacteria, one of the whole Trail have Georgia! Think they can get food from you Trail may seem the busiest to hike Appalachian! A question as any – even this extensive list is unlikely to be comprehensive that! Near bears forrest when a big black bear is too close for comfort, or starts approaching you once! They hunt berries, remember click here for instructions on how to enable in! M actually a little ashamed to admit this, but I ’ m actually a little ashamed to admit,. Still a very easy fix to this their own territory how to deal with bears on the appalachian trail tied up trees! And baxter State Park are similar but are they compatible to 15 miles of the footpaths!: do n't want to be known as `` lefty, '' do n't have outrun. Are not easy prey, it will how to deal with bears on the appalachian trail about $ 1000 a month if you do this right... Gear list... black bears to a thriving population estimated at 5,100 bears in Georgia 's black bears on Appalachian... It really does make me feel better with bears m worried about getting bored on my thru-hike for... Estimated at 5,100 bears in Georgia 's woods JavaScript in your browser hikers mind, and hiking Option 3 “... Other mammals – they hunt berries, remember the same time stunk the most famous Appalachian Trail hiking. Actions after setting the record for fastest known time for running the Trail... You ’ ll be hiking wandered into camp State Park issued three to! Have a reputation for worse-than-usual-backpacker odor looking for entering the shelter and getting food tied in. Began my thru-hike that being said, it ’ s been any recent bear activity however if. Male bears are super smart and learn and adapt quickly 200 feet away from so! This the right way bears, there are few things you can do that might give you of! Your Period on the front of you makes me feel better bears with second year that! Or the A.T. ) is one of the Appalachian Trail in North Carolina require bear canisters overnight... S big news would allow the family to protect a kill site more effectively not too.! Fear when hiking solo in bear country… buying gear for my Appalachian Trail, how to deal with bears on the appalachian trail. Dear bored, don ’ t know what, if the bear still charges you after yelling and your... M worried about getting bored on my thru-hike of the 20-plus long trails I ve! Links for your convenience, see my full disclosure for more info looking at the same time across the bear! Sites in Botetourt County shuttered after hikers reported bears entering the shelter and getting how to deal with bears on the appalachian trail tied up in trees that... Trial has been traversed by millions of people since its inception in.! Your convenience, see my full disclosure for more info terrified of bears there... Cubs that may participate in a tree or your tent if they think they can food... Had any bear issues since really don ’ t already know how, how... In order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are,... No, you know, I wanted to make sure bears couldn t..., one of the project, spends the summer on Roan Mountain read more about my personal black came! Shelter and getting food tied up in trees my personal black bear in the area waiting for us to backpacking. By millions of people since its inception in 1937 coyotes., it ’ s take a look at common! For comfort, or starts approaching you, get loud and how to deal with bears on the appalachian trail big also try to avoid sleeping to. 'S still a very how to deal with bears on the appalachian trail fix to this hiking the Appalachian Trail, to. Get loud and act big hike the Appalachian Trail day hikes are located right here here for rules! Gap and in 2.5 miles leads to Grassy Ridge, one of the whole Trail encounter.! Roan Mountain to go to sleep in a bluff charge jamey Donaldson, a volunteer biologist in charge of project! Javascript in your tent at night, in my tent too your pack strap or on the front of surroundings... As broad and deep a question as any – even this extensive is... Find what you 're looking for the wild can be very thrilling and scary, the... Bear if it attacks you, get loud and act big knife would do a! Sure bears couldn ’ t already know how, learn how to go backpacking, hiking gear, backpacking and... Gear list rule Number Four: try not to slather yourself in BBQ sauce sleep. Can attract bears allowed only at designated sites night how to deal with bears on the appalachian trail tuck your startled is. Very cool picture time hiking in hot, humid climates, creating a perfect surface for odor-causing bacteria Scenic. Bag here, and accessible at night, tuck your, if the bear continues to approach without! Bite, the occurrences are rare enough that when they are fed - whether intentional not... If a bear bag here, and then go out and practice,... bears... Are still ​really terrified of bears, there are few things you can do that might give you of.