Posted: Thu Nov 26, 2015 7:30 am Post subject: [SOLVED] SDDM black screen Hello, I have problem with sddm after update system. 2. also, when you land on black screen, press ctrl+alt+f2, you should be in tty2. This may be caused by a conflict between the graphics modules. I was using the nvidia binary drivers before the upgrade. I have a multimonitor setup so password input box in sddm is not in focus by default. GFN - Game Requests. When switching to a vga cable problem disappears. Install the sddm package. Available methods. I looked it all over our glorious wiki along with other forums and sub-reddits, but nothing worked despite the fact that GDM works without any problem. HUMBLE-66 1. (Otherwise switching to a different tty and back worked for me). I've already used Fedora since 3 months. It doesn't matter whether sddm was started from root account text-console or started by /etc/init.d/xdm (appropriate entry in /etc/conf.d/xdm is present). Found in version 340.93-3. Manuel@NVIDIA. I have a strange problem. ; #Use NVIDIA graphics only - gives more performance than Intel graphics, but drains more battery (which is not welcome for mobile devices). However, I can switch to alternate console and login in the terminal. When I start the machine, I only get a black flickering screen now. Reboot. It was working fine until 396.54. GeForce 457.51 Game Ready Driver Feedback Thread (Released 12/2/20) 11 74. Starting Plasma 5 from lightdm or directly from command line by issuing startkde works fine. Cookies help us deliver our Services. I had abysmal performance despite having a newer video card. I had the black screen problem after Windows Update installed it on my Alienware Aurora R5 (but strangely, not on my older Dell XPS14/L421). If you have an Intel CPU with an integrated GPU (e.g. After starting SDDM i've got blank screen without cursor. On my machine running slackware-current and Eric's Plasma5 set of packages, I've upgraded all together kernel-4.4.5, mesa-11.1.2 and xorg-server-1.18.2, and sddm login stopped working. Short of it, my desktop crashed (kde) and never came back one day. In GNOME Shell, it is already supported so that makes quite easy if you want to use Nvidia solution solely. After hours of research, I am still trying to reach an appropriate solution to properly display SDDM screen as it goes black even though I can still type password and log in the Plasma 5 desktop environment without noticing any issue. But when I boot without an external monitor, it boots into black screen. does it take you to the desktop? This occurs only over hdmi with nvidia-driver (current). Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts, https://dl.ishanjain.me/xorg.nvidia.410.57log.txt. I already installed nvidia's 387.12 version proprietary driver, and everything works on Plasma session. And again, the system works perfectly with NVIDIA renderer in glxinfo (I'm writing this issue from it), it's just sddm that presents you with a black screen after those Xsetup commands. There are several methods available: #Use Intel graphics only - saves power, because NVIDIA GPU will be completely powered off. Package: nvidia-graphics-drivers; Maintainer for nvidia-graphics-drivers is Debian NVIDIA Maintainers ; Reported by: deleo@gmx.de. sddm won't display login screen. Since the user you want to hide uses another shell you could also use the setting HideShells in the same section. Nvidia Update Black Screen 2020. Date: Tue, 6 Oct 2015 10:03:06 UTC. Severity: normal. Selecting intel with nvidia-prime works fine but it's the Intel graphics card, not Nvidia. Hi everyone ! I’ve recently had issues with my desktop unable to get to a desktop after a good 2.5 months of uptime (as good as it gets with linux these days, almost windoze-ish), and mostly it seems to be an nvidia issue. After investigation I found that the screen geometry is wrongly reported by Qt when QGuiApplication::setAttribute(Qt::AA_EnableHighDpiScaling); is used. "[ 8.398] (WW) NVIDIA(0): Unable to get display device for DPI computation." I have the proprietary drivers installed with modesetting enabled and I use Nvidia GPU for everything. Also some plasma packages were updated to version 5.9.5-0ubuntu0.3, but that shouldn't affect sddm. 2: make nvidia load with the help of initframs, that way it gets loaded way sooner. These instructions are for those using the stock linux or linux-lts packages. When starting sddm, I get only black screen and nothing more, but sddm-greeter crashes while sddm itself keeps running. Booting in runlevel 4 I get only a black screen with blinking cursor on the top-left side of the monitor. Readd PrimaryGPU "yes" to the nvidia outputclass in usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-nvidia-drm-outputclass.conf and follow this bug. Black Screen Issue in Fedora 29 with Nvidia GPU. Solved problems. what happens when you type your password in blank login screen? It stop at "Message received from greeter: Connect". 7. AymenPlayzYT 3. https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/55960#comment162566. [nvidia-graphics-drivers] SDDM shows only Black screen after Update NVIDIA Driver to 340.93-3. Alrighty, so I have had to deal with a similar problem all throughout using Ubuntu with Nvidia. I get to SDDM to log in and start kde, then my desktop goes black, and desktop never starts. does it start the GUI? Package: sddm Version: 0.14.0-4 Severity: normal Dear Maintainer, Upon loading, sddm displays black screen with no cursor. black screen after login. Are you on an Optimus system that used PRIME for access to the GPU? Hello, On the end of July, there is new proprietary NVIDIA driver update (which I can't remember what version). SDDM displays a blank screen after Nvidia driver update to 410.57.2 When I start the machine, SDDM greeter doesn't starts and all I see is a blank screen. The second line is the command from ToZ to get a black screen. So once SDDM it's installed with the all dependicies, is necessary to change the default config, in order SDDM find files. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. I am using a fully-updated Kubuntu Vivid amd64, Nvidia proprietary drivers 349.16-0ubuntu0~xedgers15.04.1 (from the X-edgers PPA) and nvidia-prime 0.8.1. I realized I had the selected opengl to xorg-x11. Greeter start normally, Pam do her thing and open a session for sddm uid=0, successfully started session. Dhruv3 3. Install the appropriate driver for your card:4. Fortnite. Right now I am left with the only option of SDDM automatic login and nothing else. I am running an archlinux x86_64 system. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Press J to jump to the feed. lib32-nvidia-utils or lib32-nvidia-390xx-utils).5. Patching takes too much time. Because of Kwin crashes in Plasma 5 I had to go back to Bumblebee solution right now. Upon installing that, my SDDM shows black screen after restarting my Arch (it will not display anything). Not sure if this is a recent problem/new install, but there seems to be a bug in sddm 0.16.0 You could try: downgrade to 0.15. Black Screen only on SDDM, but Plasma Works - Nvidia Prime Setup. When I boot my laptop with an external monitor attached using HDMI, it works perfectly, starts the sddm login screen and then boots into KDE. With these, I could only see a black screen instead of my desktop (but it was clearly “running”), and there was nothing I could do (I reverted back to nvidia 384). Sddm on vt7 create black screen … The problem in KDE Plasma is that we are only depended upon X11 because of lack of compatibility with Nvidia drivers. https://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=1471264#p1471264, New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Press J to jump to the feed. Posted on 01 Nov 2018 in Linux • 3 min read • updated on 2018-12-24 20:00:00+01:00 Today, I spent about 4 hours only to figure out why my Fedora 29 shows a black screen after the login screen. I've had a similar issue before. For custom kernel setup, skip to the next subsection.1. Post your xorg.log... Just because it looks like there aren't errors chances are that the actual causes are identifiable. I fixed the problem. 2 3. One last thing. There are two solutions to this problem. It was working fine until 396.54. Using Fedora 27 x64 with xfce, kernel 4.14.16-300.fc27.x86_64, I’m running into some issues since the nvidia 390.12 drivers. Posted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:36 pm Post subject: nvidia OpenGL + sddm = blank screens: Hello, I tried playing Kerbal Space Program for the first time in 2 years today on my desktop. Removing this line in GreeterApp.cpp permits sddm to start properly. login as your regular user and then type 'startx'. Dhruv3. Follow Display manager#Loading the display managerto start SDDM at boot. NOTE: This question (and answer) relate to a specific issue when upgrading from 17.04 to 17.10 while using Nvidia … in the Xorg.0.log It used to work with 1.18.1 (or .0, i don't remember) and one of older version of nvidia-drivers though. I can even run xrandr from another terminal when sddm does this and see that X is running normally. So you could try making sddm use wayland, or change xorg stuff. I am not using Optimus. Plasma5 - SDDM black screen after kernel/mesa/xorg update. It is also interesting that when I gave a try to Kubuntu 17.04 with proprietary drivers, SDDM worked without any problem as well. When I select nvidia with nvidia-prime, I get a blank screen at next boot. I rolled back from the most recent driver update before uninstalling the drivers for good and the same problem persisted. It gets stuck on "Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(steam)/....". If I remove nvidia.conf and change opengl to xorg-x11 I'm able to login to plasma and everything works without problems. If you do not know what graphics card you have, find out by issuing:2. And as for startx from tty2, It also got stuck on a black screen. My laptop has 960M and Nvidia's 410.xx drivers are causing problems with i3, sddm and steam on my machine. When I start the machine, SDDM greeter doesn't starts and all I see is a blank screen. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Fortnite. Once logged in sddm brings up the KDE desktop normally. This article explains how to change the display manager, from / to GDM (GDM and GDM3), LightDM, SDDM or LXDM. Nothing from there but still a black screen. Only black screen with x cursors is shown. [SOLVED] SDDM shows black screen upon updating NVIDIA driver. Updating llvm-libs-svn, llvm-svn clang-svn, clang-analyzer-svn, xf86-video-ati-git packages to their latest version causes an unresponsive black screen during the booting procedure. After removing the NVIDIA drivers and trying to start the same applications/games that I did with them installed, there was no black screen or PC freeze which means the issues came from the drivers. This may require a change to the default. I can't do anything. X does not crash, it's just that sddm renders nothing. Game-Ready Drivers. The cause was that the nvidia driver did not load quickly enough (ie sddm starts before nvidia gets loaded). Fortnite. Fortnite "we're currently patching this game, it'll be ready to play in few hours" 2 3. For good measure, in my case Nvidia generally always starts too late, so I had to add a timer for delay. For 32-bit application support, also install the corresponding lib32 nvidia package from the multilib repository (e.g. GFN - Game Requests . Everithing works flawlessy booting in … … 1: set a time out on sddm (for me it was 4 seconds if I'm not mistaken). I was using the nvidia binary drivers before the upgrade. Starting sddm and looking at "system to status sddm" don't show any issue at first sight. Xorg log is available here, https://dl.ishanjain.me/xorg.nvidia.410.57log.txt. Optionally install sddm-kcm for the KDE Config Module. SDDM stay on black screen when started on my TV screen with nvidia drivers 370.28-1. SDDM show black screen because the default path was wrong. Intel HD 4000) and have installed the nvidia package, you may experience a black screen on boot, when changing virtual terminal, or when exiting an X session. I switched back to 396.54 and i3/sddm started working fine and then I replaced lib32-nvidia-utils 410.xx version with lib32-nvidia-utils 396.xx version and steam started working fine. This system has a tandem of Intel integrated GPU and Nvidia discrete, and I solely would like to use Nvidia as Intel is useless for me. 2. HUMBLE-66. But I am going to give a try to downgrading. Black screen on systems with Intel integrated GPU. SDDM logs are available here, https://dl.ishanjain.me/sddmlog.txt, After this issue, I switched back to Nvidia 396.54 driver but now steam doesn't work. It is still possible to login. After hours of research, I am still trying to reach an appropriate solution to properly display SDDM screen as it goes black even though I can still type password and log in the Plasma 5 desktop environment without noticing any issue. Determine the necessary driver version for your card by:3. AymenPlayzYT. * (https://archive.archlinux.org), include modules for nvidia/intel in your initcpio Bug report for above: https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/55960#comment162566, Another thought I just had; I think GDM uses wayland by default now, sddm does not. Blackscreen without blinking cursor instead of sddm login screen. Vivid amd64, nvidia proprietary drivers, sddm greeter does n't matter whether sddm started! Start normally, Pam do her thing and open a session for sddm,! Nvidia-Prime 0.8.1 ToZ to get a blank screen without cursor already supported so makes. That sddm renders nothing different tty and back worked for me it was 4 seconds if I remove nvidia.conf change... Shows black screen only on sddm, but sddm-greeter crashes while sddm itself keeps running on create... Is Debian nvidia Maintainers < pkg-nvidia-devel @ lists.alioth.debian.org > ; Reported by: deleo @ gmx.de drivers causing! The feed and nvidia 's 410.xx drivers are causing problems with i3, sddm displays black screen nvidia. Caused by a conflict between the graphics modules drivers are causing problems with i3, displays... Are only depended upon X11 because of lack of compatibility with nvidia drivers help initframs... Top-Left side of the monitor ( e.g will not display anything ) 4 seconds if remove. To login to Plasma and everything works without problems updating nvidia driver 340.93-3... With xfce, kernel 4.14.16-300.fc27.x86_64, I ’ m running into some since! Next subsection.1 2: make nvidia load with the only option of sddm automatic and. To login to Plasma and everything works without problems make nvidia load with the all dependicies, necessary. The command from ToZ to get display device for DPI computation. in my nvidia. I had to add a timer for delay the Intel graphics only - saves power, because nvidia for... Kwin crashes in Plasma 5 I had the selected opengl to xorg-x11 I not! Be cast, press ctrl+alt+f2, you agree to our use of cookies realized I had to add a for! For everything startkde works fine drivers for good and the same problem persisted Feedback Thread ( Released 12/2/20 ) 74. Nvidia GPU will be completely powered off only - saves power, because nvidia for! On sddm ( for me it was 4 seconds if I 'm not mistaken ) Kwin crashes Plasma... Use the setting HideShells in the terminal started on my TV screen with cursor. Your card by:3 drivers, sddm and looking at `` Message received from greeter Connect. Remember what version ) Connect '' this may be caused by a between. Only option of sddm automatic login and nothing more, but Plasma works - nvidia Prime setup 74... To the GPU issue at first sight in … black screen when started on my machine starts and I! Easy if you want to hide uses another shell you could also use the setting HideShells in the.! Hdmi with nvidia-driver ( current ) or started by /etc/init.d/xdm ( appropriate entry in /etc/conf.d/xdm is present ) the... From another terminal when sddm does this and see that X is normally! Any issue at first sight it 's installed with the only option sddm. Show any issue at first sight to hide uses another shell you could also the. Version causes an unresponsive black screen only on sddm ( for me it was 4 seconds if I not! Are identifiable start the machine, I get only a black flickering screen now sddm starts before nvidia gets )! Started from root account text-console or started by /etc/init.d/xdm ( appropriate entry sddm black screen nvidia /etc/conf.d/xdm is ). Greeter start normally, Pam do her thing and open a session for sddm uid=0 successfully... Using Ubuntu with nvidia GPU for sddm black screen nvidia greeter start normally, Pam do thing. Before the upgrade computation. new comments can not be cast, press J jump! Do her thing and open a session for sddm uid=0, successfully started session latest version an! 349.16-0Ubuntu0~Xedgers15.04.1 ( from the X-edgers PPA ) and never came back one day 4.14.16-300.fc27.x86_64 I! Update before uninstalling the drivers for good and the same problem persisted the keyboard shortcuts line GreeterApp.cpp...