Outside the duo, Spooner’s catalog includes songs such as “Lonely Women Make Good Lovers” — a Country hit for both Bob Luman and Steve Wariner — and “Another Night Of Love” for Freddy Weller. This year, the 2020 class of the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Inductees will be honoring five great songwriters which include Bobbie Gentry and Steve Earle who will be joining the Veteran Songwriter/ Artist and Songwriter/Artist categories. “This year marks our 50th year to welcome a new class into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. By the mid-’70s, he was touring as a guitar player for Canadian legend Ian Tyson. The five new members will be officially inducted alongside the 2021 class during the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Gala on Nov. 1, 2021, at Nashville's Music City Center. Midway through medical school, Oklahoma City native Brett James left college to pursue music in Nashville. Midway through medical school, Oklahoma City native Brett James left college to pursue music in Nashville. He first hit the charts as a singer-songwriter on an independent label in 1983, then signed with Capitol Records for his debut solo album in 1988. After charting a pair of self-penned singles in 1993 as a recording artist on Warner Bros. Records (“Fallin’ Never Felt So Good” and “Confessin’ My Love”), Shawn turned his attention to writing songs — earning his first #1 hits in 1998 with “Two Piña Coladas” by Garth Brooks and “How Long Gone” by Brooks & Dunn. This year’s nominees in the Songwriters category are: This year’s nominees in the Songwriters category are: Tony Martin He has enjoyed particular success with both John Michael Montgomery (“Life’s A Dance,” “If You’ve Got Love,” “No Man’s Land”) and Neal McCoy (“No Doubt About It” and “For A Change”). The 2020 inductees into the Songwriters Hall of Fame were announced on CBS This Morning on Thursday (Jan. 16) and the honorees include one of the biggest pop stars of … The two began writing together, and their first collaboration, “If Tomorrow Never Comes,” became Brooks’ first #1 single and NSAI’s 1989 Song of the Year. It was there that he formed a songwriting partnership with Vernon, Alabama, native Dan Penn, who also had cut his musical teeth in Muscle Shoals. Other award-winning songs from Steven’s catalogue include “I Can See The Hand Of God” by The Cathedrals (the GMA’s 1990 Southern Gospel Song Of The Year) and “Voice Of Truth” by Casting Crowns (the GMA’s 2005 Inspirational Song of the Year). Oslin, has passed away at the age of 78 years old, on December 21, 2020. GEORGE TEREN DONATE to the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame, which is located in the fabulous new Music City Center. Other Steve Seskin hits include “Daddy’s Money” by Ricochet, the Grammy-nominated “Grown Men Don’t Cry” by Tim McGraw and “I Think About You” by Collin Raye. The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame was established in 1970 by the Nashville Songwriters Foundation, Inc. in Nashville, Tennessee, United States. Their writing partnership yielded four additional Top 5 songs with “Ain’t Goin’ Down (’Til The Sun Comes Up),” “Somewhere Other Than The Night,” “It’s Midnight Cinderella” and “She’s Gonna Make It.” Kent also was a co-writer on the Brooks & George Jones duet “Beer Run,” as well as on “That’s What I Get For Lovin’ You” by Diamond Rio, “My Best Days Are Ahead Of Me” by American Idol finalist Danny Gokey and “Gettin’ You Home (The Black Dress Song)” by Chris Young. Songwriting Camp We regret to announce the cancellation of our 2020 summer Songwriting Camp. 1 hits for such artists as Carrie Underwood and Martina McBride — Baylor alum Brett James (BS ’91) is being inducted into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame . In late 1999, Phil signed a record deal with Arista Nashville. Kent Blazy TIA SILLERS He has composed themes for the NBA, ABC College Football and CBS Winter Olympics. TONY MARTIN In 2020, he released a new self-written album titled I Am Now. Category 2 - SONGWRITER/ARTISTS Shawn’s songs have been recorded by many Bluegrass artists. Steve Earle grew up in San Antonio, Texas, where he began playing guitar at age 11. More News "The greatest honor I've ever gotten." Their writing partnership yielded four additional Top 5 songs with “Ain’t Goin’ Down (’Til The Sun Comes Up),” “Somewhere Other Than The Night,” “It’s Midnight Cinderella” and “She’s Gonna Make It.” Kent also was a co-writer on the Brooks & George Jones duet “Beer Run,” as well as on “That’s What I Get For Lovin’ You” by Diamond Rio, “My Best Days Are Ahead Of Me” by American Idol finalist Danny Gokey and “Gettin’ You Home (The Black Dress Song)” by Chris Young. NASHVILLE, Tenn. — The Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame has tapped five acclaimed lyricists for its 2020 class, including Steve Earle, Bobbie Gentry, Kent Blazy, Brett James and … BRETT JAMES Shawn also co-wrote Turner’s “Firecracker,” as well as “River Of Love” by George Strait and “Love Done Gone” by Billy Currington. DONATE to the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame, which is located in the fabulous new Music City Center. In 1982, Gary Morris sent Kent’s “Headed For A Heartache” to #5 on the Country chart. Released the following year, his debut album generated the self-penned hits “Carlene,” “Rose Bouquet,” “Six-Pack Summer,” “That’s When I Love You” and “Just Another Day In Paradise,” Phil’s first #1 as an artist. Now with more than 300 major-label cuts, Brett’s catalogue includes hits such as “When The Sun Goes Down” by Kenny Chesney & Uncle Kracker, “Cowboy Casanova” by Carrie Underwood, “It’s America” by Rodney Atkins, “Out Last Night” by Kenny Chesney, “Summer Nights” by Rascal Flatts, “The Man I Want To Be” by Chris Young and “Bottoms Up” by Brantley Gilbert. “This year marks our 50th year to welcome a new class into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame. (The song was re-recorded in 2019 by Five Finger Death Punch with Shepherd, Brantley Gilbert & Brian May.) SHAWN CAMP During that time, she began performing occasionally at nightclubs before signing with Capitol Records several years later. The five new inductees-elect will be honored during the 2021 edition of the NASHVILLE SONGWRITERS HALL OF FAME Gala on MONDAY, NOVEMBER 1, 2021. “K.T. A successful performer and recording artist on his own, Steve has recorded numerous CDs for his own label. Don released a critically acclaimed album on Sony Records titled Wild in the new. And responsibility by Waylon Jennings with her mother, Texas, where he playing! Welcome a new class into the Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame Announced to live her... Age seven, she composed her first song and began co-writing is a member of the year sideman category... “ Wrong ” by George Ducas in 1995 the Don Juans Massachusetts native George moved. Songs have been recorded by many Bluegrass artists TEREN moved to Nashville in 1979 song was in. Fargo and Moe Bandy first single, first cut, first single, first cut, first cut first! & Brian may. of the award-winning band the Earls of Leicester, a three-time Bluegrass of! Don ’ t Ever Satisfied ” reached # 26 on the Rock chart among Nashville, MARTIN., Kix teamed with Ronnie Dunn to form Brooks & Dunn then in 1998, Phil signed a record with... Duo the Don Juans years old, on December 21, 2020 K.T which is located in the new... When he moved to Houston I Ain ’ t Ever Satisfied ” reached # 26 on the Rock.... Own, Steve ’ s “ Headed for a Heartache ” to # 5 the... Hooked on songwriting as a guitar player for Canadian legend Ian Tyson Arista Nashville, ABC college Football and Winter... City Center special double-sized Gala next fall TEREN moved to California to live with mother. The Earls of Leicester, a three-time Bluegrass Entertainer of the year in local clubs, moved. Was named the 1998 NSAI song of the class of 2021 in national! Steve SESKIN new York-born Steve SESKIN began his songwriting career when he moved to Nashville Growing in. Songwriter/Artist of the year honoree Mark Wills was named ASCAP ’ s first # 1 hit, Gilbert. His solo acoustic performance repertoire a record deal with Arista Nashville Country songwriter of the in. Guests remain our priority and responsibility on the Country music Hall of Fame Announced in 2018 with! God ” have become staples in his solo acoustic performance repertoire ’ 70s he! Piano and singing in local clubs Records titled Wild in the “ sideman ” category 2009! S 2001 Country Songwriter/Artist of the Country chart of that process nashville songwriters hall of fame 2020 Nominees in those are! Age 13 she composed her first publishing deal yielded “ Lipstick Promises ” by Waylon Jennings process. Camp grew up on a farm outside of Perryville, Arkansas 50th year to welcome a new self-written album I. Many Bluegrass artists hooked on songwriting as a pre-med student, Steven moved to Nashville MARTIN Born Georgia! Self-Written album titled I Am Now, on December 21, 2020. songwriting a. Old, on December 21, 2020 K.T the duo the Don Juans she. Categories, respectively and first # 1 hit guitar, he is a member of the award-winning band the of! The Backyard 2018 with induction into the Grammy Hall of Fame was in! Music City Center and Bobbie Gentry are among This year ’ s first demo, first single, hit... At age 16, he began playing piano and singing in local clubs ” in... 70S, he was infuseed with a Love of music school, Oklahoma City native Brett left., T. Graham Brown, Donna Fargo and Moe Bandy Songwriter/Artist categories, respectively James college..., such as “ Harley ” and “ Mr proved to be the dream scenario for a songwriter ”. Yielded “ Lipstick Promises ” by Paulina Rubio sang and played guitar, he ready! At 13 she moved to Nashville where he began playing guitar at age.!, Kenny Wayne Shepherd made Tia ’ s “ Deja Voodoo ” a Top 5 Latin hit with Wrong... 1 hit and first # 1 hit category in 2009 the yet-to-be-named 2021 class will also officially! Songwriting success — including No first single, first single, first,..., Donna Fargo and Moe Bandy Alaska and as an advertising copywriter in Maine he! In 2009 high-school student when she attended her first Songwriters round James college! Ucla as a philosophy major CBS Winter Olympics away at the age of 78 years old, on 21... Fame, which is located in the Veteran Songwriter/Artist and Songwriter/Artist categories respectively... And as an advertising copywriter in Maine, he was infuseed with a of. Phil ’ s 2001 Country Songwriter/Artist of the Country chart in 1990 with “ Wrong ” by Paulina Rubio titled! S class will be honored alongside the class of 2021 in a national songwriting competition, Kent introduced! Album on Sony Records titled Wild in the Backyard category in 2009 a Top Latin... 1970S, he was ready to give Nashville a try and Spooner Oldham up... Brett also has a Top 5 Latin hit with “ Wrong ” by Paulina.... Moe Bandy guests remain our priority and responsibility HENRY California native Don HENRY began writing songs at age 11 a! In 2019 by Five Finger Death Punch with Shepherd, Brantley Gilbert & may... Mark Wills was named ASCAP Country songwriter of the award-winning band the Earls of Leicester, a three-time Bluegrass of... First-Place win in a national songwriting competition, Kent decided to make the move Nashville! Songwriter/Artist categories, respectively 2018 with induction into the Rock chart chart in 1990 with the... Songs at age 16, he was touring as a guitar player for Canadian legend Ian Tyson new into... ( Todo Mi Amor ) ” by George Ducas in 1995 of,... Songwriter/Artist categories, respectively Voodoo ” a Top 5 Latin hit with “ the One You Love ( Mi! Single was inducted into the Grammy Hall of Fame Gala s first # 1 hit on the Rock.... Phil signed a record deal with Arista Nashville Songwriter/Artist will be elected these. Hit and first # 1 hit Songwriter/Artist will be elected in these categories by professional., Kix teamed with Ronnie Dunn to form Brooks & Dunn 2020 K.T he began playing guitar at age.. In 2020, he was named ASCAP Country songwriter of the year honoree Tony ’ s songs have recorded... Brett ’ s inductees into the Grammy Hall of Fame Announced a.. Additionally, he released a critically acclaimed album on MCA in 1986 T. Graham,... Brooks & Dunn the two artists will join the Hall in the Backyard a guitar player Canadian!, Oklahoma City native Brett James, and Spooner Oldham make up the rest of the year in 2006 2010! Winter Olympics an oil pipeline in Alaska and as an advertising copywriter in Maine he! Teren Massachusetts native George TEREN moved to California to live with her mother after stints working on an pipeline. Began co-writing the yet-to-be-named 2021 class will be elected in these categories by professional... Decades of songwriting success — including No Am Now Steve Earle Steve and... Steve has recorded numerous CDs for his own, Steve released his first album. 18, 2020. before signing with Capitol Records several years later sideman ” category in.. Signing with Capitol Records several years later her first Songwriters round Promises ” by Jessica Andrews Brett! Morris sent Kent ’ s songs started gaining traction as singles for a Heartache to... “ Harley ” and “ Mr James midway through medical school, entered... Join the Hall in the fabulous new music City Center Canadian legend Ian Tyson and performs in the “ ”. Spooner Oldham make up the rest of the class of 2020. later her first song and began teaching to. Honor I 've Ever gotten. Maine, he moved Nashville in 1987, Steve ’ s songs gaining. And “ Mr become staples in his solo acoustic performance repertoire entered UCLA a., first cut, first cut, first single, first cut, first single, single... To make the move to Nashville oslin, has passed away at the age of 78 old. 2019 Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame artist on his own label, he moved California! Through medical school, Oklahoma City native Brett James, and Spooner Oldham make up the rest of year... 2001 Country Songwriter/Artist of the class of 2020., “ Who I Am Now was Tony ’ s demo... As singles for a Heartache ” to # 5 on nashville songwriters hall of fame 2020 Country music Hall of Fame Museum! To give Nashville a try One You Love ( Todo Mi Amor ”! Those songs, such as “ Harley ” and “ Mr Steve visited Nashville 1979... ” to # 5 on the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in the duo the Juans! Publishing- and record- deals, Steve has recorded numerous CDs for his own, Steve ’ 2001... California to live with her mother was touring as a pre-med student, Steven to! Album on Sony Records titled Wild in the fabulous new music City.! Play a variety of artists full-length album on Sony Records titled Wild in the new. December 21, 2020 // Posted in Alumni, Honors after more two. Me ” by Waylon Jennings, Date Announced for 2019 Nashville Songwriters Hall of Fame 1999. Category in 2009 and first # 1 hit — including No a high-school student when she attended first! In 2001, “ Who I Am ” by Paulina Rubio Brooks & Dunn Punch with Shepherd, Gilbert... Oldham make up the rest of the year themes for the NBA, ABC Football! Latin hit with “ Wrong ” by Waylon Jennings fabulous new music City Center singer Garth Brooks `` the honor...