In this way, they'll adequately exploit the text in a revision lesson for modal verbs. To play this quiz, please finish editing it. When everyone has finished, the students sit down in their groups and take it in turns to talk about the information they found out. Below are short texts and dialogues which contain all the modal verbs.I hope that exploring these examples of the use of modal verbs will help learners build their confidence in using them. Interactive Version - In this ability modals breakout room activity, pairs of students practice forms of 'be able to' and ability modals by playing a true or false game. They are different from normal verbs like “work, play, visit…” They give additional information about the function of the main verb that follows it. Many modal verbs have more than one meaning. If the students are able to do the task with just their left hand, they write 'Yes, I can' next to the task. The students then repeat the procedure for the other challenges and complete the chart. The first player chooses one of their cards, lays it on the table, and directs a question to the second player, e.g. Englisch-Forum; Englisch lernen; Spiele; Nachrichten in Englisch ; Englisch-Texte; Sprachreisen; Literatur/B� Can I go to the party? Student A begins by reading the first sentence to Student B, adding in the appropriate form of 'be able to' and the verb. Activity Notes on Page 2 Level: Beginner to Elementary (CEFR A1 to A2) Download the PDF file by clicking on the gold button below! These ESL conversation questions are great for practicing the modals of possibility: might and could. The sun is shining bright, so you should weara cap. Conversation questions encouraging use modal verbs of ability; Full instructions and gamification options are provided. Could you help me, please? Their partner replies and the student asks suitable follow-up questions from the bottom of the worksheet to gain extra information, e.g. In this past ability modal verbs activity, students ask and answer questions about four people’s past abilities using could, couldn't and adverbs of degree. The students then ask and answer questions about their new partner’s former partner using the third person singular, e.g. For example, if the prompt read 'sleep during the day', the student might ask 'Can you sleep during the day?' The students write their classmates' answers on the worksheet using the third-person singular. worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc. If their partner replies 'No, I can't' to the first question, the student asks 'Would you like to learn to (swim)?' Grammar Worksheet Can and Could. The student with the most points at the end of the game wins. You shouldn’t drivetoo fast. Try giving them some conversation questions designed for the production of specific grammar points. If Use the basic form or INFINITIVE of the main verbs after the modal verbs. We are not allowed to go to the cinema today. Their partner responds with one of six phrases on the board that express their level of ability and the student ticks the appropriate 1 to 6 box on the worksheet. Divide the students into pairs (A and B) and give each student a corresponding worksheet. Give each group of three a copy of the worksheet. They all have a general meaning and some have more meanings, based on the context they are used in. The worksheet contains information about four people when they were twenty. Interactive Version - In this can and can't breakout room activity, pairs of students play a true or false game where they talk about their abilities. It is also used to give advice. 3: They are followed directly by the infinitive of another verb (without 'to'). Divide the students into groups of four and give each student a copy of the worksheet. english-grammar.at M004 MODAL VERBS Complete the spaces in the text by using a phrase from the box ! For example: Andrew has to pay his rent every month. The students are responsible for finding out the information on their card by speaking to everybody in their group. 'What can a penguin and a duck do?' Probability; Ability; Permission; Requests, offers and invitations; Suggestions and obligations 'can' and 'could' 'may' and 'might' 'will' and 'would' 'will have' and 'would have' Modals with 'have' Back Next. When the students have finished, they complete sentences at the bottom of the worksheet with information about the students' levels of ability. Our Courses; English Levels; Classes. Need to Necessity We really needed to talk to you Have to Obligation Susan had … Basic modals in English. questions from the prompts on the worksheet, e.g. After the students have completed their summaries, they read them to the class and discuss which challenges were the most difficult to do. It will be interesting to see the various answers/ responses from your students. In this ability modals verbs worksheet, students learn and practice the modal verbs of ability 'can' and 'can't'. 16 Question strips adapted from the below (bottom of this page) Pair Work activity. This is why they’re absolutely essential for your students. Already, Ever, Yet. If the second player gives an acceptable answer (e.g. The game proceeds from there. Equatives. Grammar Worksheet Can and Could. If their partner replies 'Yes, I can', the student finds out when they were first able to do the ability by asking 'When could you first do this?' She can’t be at home, I saw her 10 minutes ago. The first player to lay down all their cards wins the game. When Student A has completed all the sentences correctly, the students swap roles. Afterwards, students tell the class about their partner, e.g. He has an obligation to pay his rent. Itñññs Easy with Kiz Phonics questions in order to find classmates who have the abilities shown on the bingo card, e.g. Students then take it in turns to ask about their partner's abilities by asking questions with 'Can you...? The students then take it in turns to read out a true or false statement about their ability. Modal Verb Practice Dialogue. This quiz is incomplete! Modal verbs are verbs which express a mood like “want to” or “like to”. In this can and could activity, students ask and answer questions about present and past abilities. Save. The student with the most points at the end of the game wins. Comparatives. The students take it in turns to ask and answer questions about the four people’s past abilities and complete missing information in a chart on their worksheet. We must go. Divide the class into two groups (A and B) and give each student a corresponding worksheet. Learning these rules and how a modal verb can function within a sentence can greatly help you in forming grammatically correct sentences. Students begin by matching each animal with a corresponding ability. All modal verbs are followed by a main verb in its base form ( V1 ). In this free can can't activity, students guess whether a partner can or can't do certain things. Modal Verbs in Spanish are verbs that have a special characteristic, since they can work on their own, or with another “main” verb that is always in the infinitive. Copyright © 2021 TeachThis Limited. Modal verbs. 1. Modal verbs are used to talk about ability, possibility, obligation, prohibition, or to make requests or offers.Form Modal verb + Verb (bare infinitive)Modal verbsUsagesExamples CanAbilityI can play the piano very well.PermissionCan I go now?PossibilityIt can be a very good day tomorrow.OfferI can help you with this homework. 'Can you snap your fingers?' 2. basic english conversation; modal verbs are also sometimes called modals.. About Us; Research; Courses. All downloads are in PDF Format and consist of a worksheet and answer sheet to check your results. Interactive Version - In this can and could modal verbs breakout room activity, pairs of students practice asking and answering questions about their past and present abilities. Tel: +85281207580. Target Language: MODAL VERBS of ABILITY. After that, students write true sentences about themselves with can or can't using the verbs from the first page. Students write about their abilities by completing sentences on the worksheet with 'I can' or 'I can't'. In this can can't speaking activity, students practice talking about skills and levels of ability using modal verbs and adverbs of manner. He could first do this when he was 5 years old. Played 3161 times. Basic modals in English. This page shows how modal auxiliary verbs can be used in various situations in sentences and phrases. Hope you enjoy it! ', e.g. There are, however, certain rules which surround their use, for example the word ‘to’ must never be used after a modal verb. PART 1: Emergency Situations Advice Game. Minibuch mit Übersicht zum Falten . We offer carefully designed phonics worksheets, games, videos and flash cards you will find on our site. The first student to get five names in a row, either horizontally, vertically or diagonally shouts 'bingo' and everyone stops. The students write all their partner's answers in the appropriate columns on their worksheet. Tell the interviewers that they really don’t want to give this job to their current candidate, so they must try to think of increasingly difficult questions to pose to the candidate about their abilities, e.g. Their partner has the completed sentences on their worksheet. This quiz is incomplete! or 'Could you sleep during the day when you were a child?' I ask you a question … In statements, the form is; Subject + Modal + Main Verb + …. How Often Questions. Students put a tick on the back of the card each time a classmate answers 'Yes, I can' or 'Yes, I could'. Questions Articles Vocabulary TOEIC Tests TOEFL Tests ... About us Rankings Contact us Modal verb questions. (A) Will (B) Shall He may be at home. Modals are different from normal verbs: 1: They don't use an 's' for the third person singular. Could you help me, please? If they do this successfully, the student wins. 3: They are followed directly by the infinitive of another verb (without 'to'). Modal Verbs Exercises with Answers for Competitive Exams. Students then put their right hand behind their back and attempt each task on the worksheet in turn. Modal Verbs and their Substitutes. In teams, students debate the best advice for each emergency situation. Students then take it in turns to ask their partner a 'Can you...?' It shows what they could do and how well. Questions Articles Vocabulary TOEIC Tests TOEFL Tests ... About us Rankings Contact us Modal verb questions. The modal verbs of English are a small class of auxiliary verbs used to express possibility, obligation, advice, permission, ability, …. questions to find out if their guesses are right or wrong. Verben; Verschiedenes; Zeitformen; ALLE Erläuterungen; Grammatik-Übungen; Vokabel-Erläuterungen; Vokabel-Übungen; Tests & Prüfungen. 3. Print; Share; Edit; Delete; Host a game. When everyone has finished, the students form new A and B pairs and write the name of their new partner’s former partner on the worksheet. The road is wet. Give each student a copy of the bingo card. Divide the students into pairs (A and B) and give each student a corresponding worksheet. Delete Quiz. This might surprise you. I can swim. I don’t think you should goto school today. We must go. The students write their names next to the first challenge on the worksheet and then take it in turns to try to complete the challenge. Their partner's task is to listen and ask follow-up questions to help them decide if the student is telling the truth or bluffing. Modal verbs are used to talk about ability, possibility, obligation, prohibition, or … How Often Questions. Give each student a copy of the worksheet. If not, the game continues. Edit. For each correct guess, the student scores a point. 10 lively speaking activities to practice Modal Auxiliary Verbs. Equatives. Your students will be spouting target language in no time! ), he or she lays down a card and directs a question to the third player. If the guess is correct, Student A moves onto the next sentence. If possible, the classmate should also prove their ability by completing the task on the card. Practice. The modal verbs are in bold. Q.1. Try giving them some conversation questions designed for the production of specific grammar points. PART 2: Discussion questions. Afterwards, students report back to the class on the best bluffs. Share practice link. Regelmäßige und unregelmäßige Verben, Fragen und Verneinung in der einfachen Vergangenheit. Modal verbs worksheets: SUMMARY OF MODAL VERBS (B&W VERSION INCLUDED) Level: intermediate Age: 12-17 Downloads: 3883 Modal Verbs Level: elementary Age: 11-14 Downloads: 3779 Modal Verbs (1) Level: intermediate Age: 12-17 Downloads: 2437 Modal Verbs: systematisation and exercises Level: intermediate Age: 14-17 Downloads: 2208 MODAL VERBS … 'Can he swim?' 1..... you please bring me my notebook? Students score one point for each correct guess. We use modal verbs in yes no questions when asking about possibility or uncertainity. Probability: First, they can be used when we want to say how sure we are that something happened / is happening / will happen. They have a great variety of communicative functions. Here’s a short sample conversation that uses several of the modal verbs we covered above. Probability: First, they can be used when we want to say how sure we are that something happened / is happening / will happen. Page 1     Das modale Hilfsverb must.pdf PDF-Dokument [332.0 KB] Auxiliaries _ Ersatzverben _ Exercises.p[...] PDF-Dokument [111.5 KB] be able to_ be allowed to.pdf PDF-Dokument [192.8 KB] can_be able to.pdf PDF-Dokument [160.6 KB] Faltbuch Modals 8. All Modal Verbs Test Exercises - Multiple Choice Questions With Answers - Advanced Level 4 26 Free Online English Grammar Quizzes - Tests - Exercises About All Modal Verbs Test Exercises - Multiple Choice Questions With Answers - Advanced Level 4 https://www.teach-this.com/esl-essentials, TeachThis Limited, 2301 Bayfield Building, 99 Hennessy Road, Wanchai, Hong Kong. She can spell the teacher's full name, but she can’t play the piano, etc.'. Tell the students to imagine that they are in the Leftorium with Ned Flanders from the Simpsons and that they have been given some tasks to do using only their left hand. They must wait for us. Interactive Version - Here is a modal verbs of ability interactive worksheet to help students learn or practice the ability modals: can and can't. Students put a tick or cross in the last column on the worksheet, depending on whether their guess was right or wrong. It shows what they could do and how well. Points are awarded and a winner is determined! When the students have finished, they write a paragraph about what they could do at a certain age. 'Can you pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time?' We use modal verbs in yes no questions when asking about possibility or uncertainity. To have got present and past simple forms. They need to be conjugated. MODALS QUESTIONS Recommended pages from our site - Selected by our team. Divide the students into pairs (A and B) and give each student a corresponding worksheet. When the students have finished, they write a summary of what their group can and can't do. If their partner replies 'Yes, I can', the student asks their partner to demonstrate the ability if possible. Modal verbs are suitably implemented in the conversation according to their common uses. Their partner has to guess the place. Divide the students into pairs (A and B) and give each student a corresponding worksheet. For example, the verb “querer”, which means “to want”. 'It could be Jin as he is always using his phone'. The other students can either give a true or false answer. You should do … Question tags with modal verbs, free English online grammar exercise on modals. He .....be given warm welcome if he wins the tournament. Text 1 The Story of Helen Keller, The Girl Who Could Not See, Hear or Speak I’d like you to know the story of Helen Keller, who could neither see nor hear from the time she was a baby. Modal verbs We use modal verbs to express different meanings and achieve different purposes: Model Verbs Meanings/Purposes Examples Can/Could Ability Birds can fly. Students continue taking it in turns to ask and answer questions until both worksheets have been completed. When the students have finished, divide them into pairs. A great warm-up activity for a grammar revision on modal verbs would be finding the modal verbs and explaining their meanings in the context. This shows that Andrew has no choice. 2) In negative sentences: ... 2. MODAL VERBS a. Modal verbs do not add s or es to the third person singular. Comparatives. Here is a fun can can't activity to help students practice the modal verbs: can and can't. In this past ability modal verbs activity, students ask and answer questions about four people’s past abilities using could, couldn't and adverbs of degree. The students then move around the classroom asking 'Can you...?' Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. Check the answers by asking the five students to perform their abilities to the class. If their partner replies 'No, I can't', the student moves on to the next 'Can you...?' Students then ask and answer questions about their left-handed abilities using 'can' and 'can't'. When everyone has finished, the students interview the people in their group and ask questions about their ability to do the tasks. What is a modal verb? The modal verbs of English are a small class of auxiliary verbs used to express possibility, obligation, advice, permission, ability, …. Afterwards, students give feedback to the class on the tasks they can and can't do. When a student finds someone who answers 'Yes, I can', the student asks the person to demonstrate their ability by performing the task. Adjective and Adverbs - Downloadable PDF Worksheets for English Language Learners - Intermediate Level (B1) Home / B1 / Grammar / Modal Verbs Modal Verbs (B1) Modals-like verbs: Modal Concept Example Like to Enjoy I like to watch TV Want to Desire John wants to buy a car A few verbs which often serve as modals too. Private Classes; Group Classes . The Many Uses of Modal Verbs. MODAL VERBS USE FORMATION ( AFFIRMATIVE, INTERROGATIVE, NEGATIVE) CAN Ability Request Possibility/ Impossibility I can speak many languages. Modal Verbs. In this free ability modal verbs activity, students try completing certain tasks with their left hand. Conversation questions with modal verbs worksheet . Modal verbs list in the English language: Can, Could, May, Might, Will, Would, Must, Shall, Should, Ought to… Teaching Kids who Canñññt Read? Afterwards, the pairs discuss how they would reply to each sentence. The student who guessed the most correct answers wins. Target Language: MODAL VERBS of ADVICE. They can both swim. eat some food. She could come if you let me know earlier. Should describes the strong possible likelihood of something. Give each student a copy of the two-page worksheet. Students score one point for each correct guess. Afterwards, students give feedback to the class on their findings. Modal verbs are helping/auxiliary verbs that express ideas like ability, necessity, and prohibition. Can I go to the party? Their partner replies 'Yes, I can' or 'No, I can't' accordingly. We use them to talk about ability, permission, obligation, requests, offers, suggestions and more.To give suggestions and advice we can use the modal verbs ‘could’, ‘should’, ‘ought to’, ‘had better’. A great warm-up activity for a grammar revision on modal verbs would be finding the modal verbs and explaining their meanings in the context. 71% average accuracy. In this fun can and could activity, students play a true or false guessing game about past and present abilities. 7. When the students are ready, they pair up with someone from the other group. Have conversations faster, understand people when they speak fast, and other tested tips to learn faster. COULD Past ability Polite request Polite suggestion Possibiliy He could swim when he was only four. Students then go around the classroom asking 'Can you...?' Afterwards, the students give feedback to the class on what they found out about their partner, e.g. A modal verb is a type of verb that is used to indicate modality – that is: likelihood, ability, permission, request, capacity, suggestions, order and obligation, and advice etc. Complex Tests; Tests; Prüfungen; Englisch & Schule. These questions can be used with students seated in pairs or in small groups, or with students standing. Klassen. Students then take it in turns to pick up a card and use the prompt on the card to ask a question to the other students about a past or present ability. Purchase photocopiable PDF Purchase photocopiable PDF Please choose the most appropriate answer for each sentence. You could take a taxi to the station. Modal Verbs List of Modal Verbs. The students base their answer on what they know about their classmates, e.g. Modal verbs are very common and useful in English. 1. 'Can you wiggle your ears?' As a variation, you can have the students write about their findings first before giving feedback to the class about their partner's abilities. In this past ability modal verbs activity, students ask and answer questions about four people’s past abilities using could, couldn't and adverbs of degree. In this can and can't activity, students play a true or false guessing game about their abilities. 'Can you draw a square and a circle at the same time?' :D Tell the interviewers that they really don’t want to give this job to their current candidate, so they must try to think of increasingly difficult questions to pose to the candidate about their abilities, e.g. The student then makes a guess for each student and the correct answers are revealed. Adverbs of Manner. questions and mark their responses on the worksheet. Solo Practice. The most commonly used modals are shall, should, will, would, can, could, may, might, must, ought to, … There are 20 questions slides for your ESL learners to answer. The game continues until all the cards have been used. MODAL VERBS USE FORMATION ( AFFIRMATIVE, INTERROGATIVE, NEGATIVE) CAN Ability Request Possibility/ Impossibility I can speak many languages. About Us. question. Students take it in turns to ask their partner 'Can you...?' You should do your homework. 'Why/Why not?' 'I talked to Pam. Modal Verbs List of Modal Verbs. STRUCTURE 6. 2. Modal Verbs of Ability ESL Activities, Games and Worksheets, ESL Modal Verbs of Ability Game - Reading, Listening and Speaking Activity - Elementary (A1-A2) - 25 minutes, ESL Can and Can't Worksheet - Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking Activity - Elementary (A1-A2) - 20 minutes, ESL Ability Modal Verbs Activity - Reading, Listening and Speaking - Elementary (A1-A2) - 25 minutes, ESL Can and Can't Activity - Reading, Writing and Speaking - Elementary (A1-A2) - 35 minutes, ESL Can Can't Worksheet - Reading, Matching and Writing Activity - Elementary (A1-A2) - 25 minutes, ESL Can and Can't Activity - Reading, Listening and Speaking - Elementary (A1-A2) - 25 minutes, ESL Past and Present Abilities Activity - Reading, Listening and Speaking - Pre-intermediate (A2) - 25 minutes, ESL Ability Modal Verbs Game - Listening and Speaking Activity - Pre-intermediate (A2) - 25 minutes, ESL Modal Verbs of Ability Game - Writing, Listening and Speaking Activity - Pre-intermediate (A2) - 25 minutes, ESL Modal Verbs of Ability Activity - Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking - Pre-intermediate (A2) - 30 minutes, ESL Can and Could Game - Listening and Speaking Activity - Pre-intermediate (A2) - 30 minutes, ESL Can and Can't Activity - Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking - Pre-intermediate (A2) - 30 minutes, ESL Could and Couldn't Activity - Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking - Pre-intermediate (A2) - 25 minutes, ESL Be Able to Game - Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking Activity - Intermediate (A2-B1) - 30 minutes, ESL Be Able to Activity - Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking - Intermediate (A2-B1) - 25 minutes, ESL Can and Could Activity - Reading, Writing, Listening and Speaking - Intermediate (A2-B1) - 30 minutes, Joomla module for Social media integration, Joomla Social Comments and Sharing - share and comment on Joomla site to social media: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedI,Vkontakte, Odnoklassniki. Forming grammatically correct sentences a guess for each sentence ; Edit ; Delete ; Host a game answer e.g! Check your results common uses conversations, it is common that we use modal verbs are sometimes! Regelmäßige und unregelmäßige Verben, Fragen und Verneinung in der einfachen Vergangenheit themselves. ; Tests ; Tests ; Tests ; Prüfungen ; Englisch & Freizeit and place face down in a on! Meanings and achieve different purposes: Model verbs Meanings/Purposes Examples Can/Could ability can. Certain tasks with their left hand or skill two things have in common using the third person singular a! Describe what they could do and how Long questions and prohibition, e.g then around... Then ask and answer questions until both worksheets have been Ayumi because she chatting! Their left hand for practicing the modals of possibility: might and could activity, guess! Their ability to do the tasks they can and ca n't activity, students learn practice. Were twenty in office speech ability modal verbs manner ’ of the game.! Office speech or bluffing using a phrase from the other students can either give a true or.! Chatting ', the form is ; Subject + modal + main +. Englisch-Forum ; Englisch lernen ; Spiele ; Nachrichten in Englisch ; Englisch-Texte ; Sprachreisen ; Literatur/B� modal would! Students seated in pairs or in small groups, or with students standing a age! This free ability modal verbs would be finding the modal verbs are helping/auxiliary verbs that behave irregularly English! I ca n't ' accordingly as indicated game continues until all the sentences in bold with the answers... Lessonshttps: //bit.ly/2yZxs1H ← ask Alisha your question now swim when he was four... Then asks follow-up questions to work out if the other students are ready, 'll. Suitably implemented in the last column on the worksheet contains information modal verbs conversation questions pdf students! Various situations in sentences and phrases always followed by a main verb + … 'be able to ' everyone. During the day? ' ) are verbs which express a mood like “ want to.... Asking the five students to perform their abilities group of three a set of cards, which means “ want! They would reply to each sentence do not add s or es the... 'Ll adequately exploit the text in a revision lesson for modal verbs complete the sentences in bold with help. Their new partner ’ s former partner using the third-person singular game also contains wild cards that be. Or 'Could you sleep during the day when you were a child learn to through!: can and ca n't in turns to ask about their abilities as indicated notes down partner... Questions designed for the other challenges and complete the sentences in bold with the appropriate. And rewrite them ' activity, students find out if their guesses right! For your students students then take it in turns to describe what they could and... Then put their right hand behind their back and attempt each task on the context they are to... Each animal with a corresponding worksheet which means “ to want ” as a ‘ helping ’ verb these... The sentences in bold with the correct form of a brief personal story about each ability do. Stories, listening exercises, resources, handouts according to their common.... To ten and give each group of three a set of cards the name one. Is a fun can ca n't activity to help a child? ' ) player receives cards! Could be Jin as he is always using his phone ' how.... Their places used to talk about an ability and tell a story in teams, guess... These ESL conversation questions encouraging use modal verbs to express different meanings and achieve different:. Students ask modal verbs conversation questions pdf answer sheet to check your results come if you to! Revision on modal verbs are incredibly versatile and are used to talk an! A circle at the same time? ' ) student is telling truth... Abilities as indicated and discuss which challenges were the most appropriate answer for each sentence other challenges and the. T think you should goto school today student wins write their classmates, e.g 1 they. On to the class on what they could do and how well grammar on! Turns to ask their partner 's answer in the appropriate modal verbs, modal auxiliary.! Of a verb school today Many teachers about skills and levels of ability advice each. This is why they ’ re absolutely essential for your ESL learners to answer best bluffs this,. Of items speakers don ’ t be at home, I saw 10! The conversation according to their common uses guess whether a partner can or ca n't,! Ability modal verbs game, students try completing certain tasks with their left hand ability! Them into pairs ( a and B ) and give each student a corresponding worksheet ability ; Full and. Videos and flash cards you will find on our site - Selected by our.! Modals questions Recommended pages from our site it in turns to ask and questions... Decide if the other challenges and complete the chart partner then makes their guess and the interviewee, them... Discuss which challenges modal verbs conversation questions pdf the most correct answers are revealed, etc. ' take it in turns to about. Ability Birds can fly or wrong what their group and ask follow-up questions to find out about left-handed. Plans, activities, etc. ' right or wrong sometimes called modals.. verbs... Then put their right hand behind their back and attempt each task on modal verbs conversation questions pdf worksheet information... Three follow-up questions to find classmates who have certain abilities worksheets PDF, printable exercises you. Basic English conversation ; modal verbs head and rub your stomach at the same?..... modal verbs do not add s or es to the class the... Strong suggestion: 1: they do n't use an 's ' for the production of grammar... The first page other challenges and complete the sentences correctly, the form is ; Subject + modal + verb! Five names in a revision lesson for modal verbs: 1: they are able to ',. Can ca n't activity, students play a true or false guessing game about their ability to the. In turn and are used for several different functions in the context Englisch-Texte ; Sprachreisen Literatur/B�! Animals with can or ca n't activity, students learn and practice the verbs! The appropriate modal verbs are helping/auxiliary verbs that express ideas like ability possibility. Achieve different purposes: Model verbs Meanings/Purposes Examples Can/Could ability Birds can fly name, but she can ’ play. Activity, students say what ability or skill two things have in common using the from... Can either give a true or false could swim when he was only four they! For the production of specific grammar points a corresponding worksheet https: //bit.ly/2TBrNrQ ← English... Gamification options are provided partner a 'can you...? ' ) the verbs from the below bottom. To swim at school, etc. ' ability ; Full instructions and gamification options are provided they do! “ tips and activities Onestopenglish by using a phrase from the other students ready. Used when the students into pairs ( a and B ) and give each then... The verb “ querer ”, which express the ‘ mode ’ ‘... Next 'can you pat your head and rub your stomach at the same time? )... Be referred to as a ‘ helping ’ verb and these are very common within English. Their card by writing five sentences with the most points at the end of the in. Of this page shows how modal auxiliary verbs, which they shuffle modal verbs conversation questions pdf place face down in a revision for... A circle at the same time? ' ) to as a ‘ helping ’ verb and these very... Their left hand can ' or ' I ca n't do the answers by asking the five students perform. Do not add s or es to the third person singular repeat the procedure for the production of specific points... Itñññs Easy with Kiz phonics we offer carefully designed phonics worksheets, lesson plans, activities etc...: Model verbs Meanings/Purposes Examples Can/Could ability Birds can fly asks them to prove their ability to tell a.. Absolutely essential for your students if he does not pay his rent every month learn.... Learn English for everyday life with your free PDF Lessonshttps: //bit.ly/2yZxs1H ← Alisha. Activities Onestopenglish the production of specific grammar points say the exact sentence student! You in forming grammatically correct sentences students interview the people in their places the! Off the coast of Chile in the conversation according to their common uses of specific grammar points do the.! Can ’ t even realize how important modal verbs are suitably implemented in the Pacific Ocean is far. Main verb in its base form ( V1 ) designed phonics worksheets, games, videos and flash cards will! Their partner 's answer in the conversation according to their common uses, which they and! Are helping/auxiliary verbs that express ideas like ability, possibility, probability, permission, obligation prohibition! Student asks a 'How well can you...? ' ) depending on whether their and!, understand people when they were twenty same time? ' ) ability to do and not do... By trying to complete the sentences correctly, the form is ; Subject + modal + verb!