GASTONIA, N.C. — A North Carolina State Highway Patrol officer was arrested for larceny Saturday afternoon after he was accused of stealing over $5,000 worth of gym equipment from a Gastonia YMCA. Larceny in North Carolina? When the property or goods were worth less than $1,000, a defendant will face Class 1 misdemeanor charges. Posted on February 29, 2012 by Jeff Welty, , , , ... North Carolina Criminal Law at the School of Government with the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. The first is Concealment of Merchandise, and the second is Larceny of Goods. Criminal Practice – Larceny – Doctrine of Recent Possession – ATVs By: North Carolina Lawyers Weekly Staff February 21, 2021 In response to an anonymous tip, a deputy found defendant in the driveway of his home, asleep in a Ford Explorer to which was attached a trailer and an ATV that had both been reported stolen. Punishment The punishment for felony larceny … Terms Used In North Carolina General Statutes > Chapter 14 > Article 16. North Carolina’s justice system tries larceny as a class 1 misdemeanor if the items in question are valued at $1,000 or less. ... Of any record or paper in the custody of the North Carolina State Archives as defined by G.S. Under North Carolina law there are separate crimes for larceny and for shoplifting. 14-51, 14-53, 14-54, 14-54.1, or 14-57. I'm 16, and some stupid idea came to mind to steal from walmart. Instead, North Carolina refers to larceny as a crime. Recent statistics reveal that theft offenses (otherwise known as “larceny”) in South Carolina have nearly tripled since 1960. In North Carolina there are several different types of theft-related crimes, ranging from the lowest level misdemeanors, such as misdemeanor shoplifting or unlawful concealment, all the way up to high level felony charges, like armed robbery. Breaking and entering any building with intent to commit larceny or a felony is a Class H felony, carrying a presumptive term of 6 months of incarceration for first-time offenders. That is different from Larceny in North Carolina. Larceny was of a record of paper in the custody of the North Carolina State Archives; If a person steals multiple items in a single transaction, the value of the items is added together to reach the $1,000 mark for felony larceny. One of the most common theft crimes in North Carolina is the crime of larceny. (a) Larceny of horses, mules, swine, or cattle is a Class H felony. Taking the property of another is a good example. . § 14-74 - Larceny by servants and other employees. Larceny can be a felony or a misdemeanor, depending on the circumstances, while shoplifting is a less serious offense and is always a misdemeanor. Christopher Dale Arnold, who turns 26 on Saturday, will be arraigned next week on … Without more, theft of property that’s worth $1,000 or less is a misdemeanor. North Carolina recognizes two degrees of burglary: first degree and second degree. § 14-76.1 - Mutilation or defacement of records and papers in the North Carolina State Archives. Types of larceny crimes. 14-72 and are classified according to the value of the property or services taken. However, larceny … When facing North Carolina larceny charges, there are several potential penalties depending on the nature of the accusation. If you find from the evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that on or Larceny (can be misdemeanor or felony) and unlawful concealment of merchandise (shoplifting) are two such theft crimes in NC. I'm an idiot for doing what I did, so don't tell me what I already know. §§ 14-78.1 - 1: Repealed by Session Laws 1994, Ex. Larceny. 2012) (stating that “[i[t is unclear whether a person may be convicted and punished for both larceny and shoplifting . The penalty for this may be incarceration for up to 45 days. § 14-75.1 - Larceny of secret technical processes. (b) The crime of larceny is a felony, without regard to the value of the property in question, if the larceny is any of the following: (1) From the person. Typically, class 1 misdemeanors are a class H felony. Unlawful concealment is a Class 3 misdemeanor that carries a maximum punishment of up to a 20 day active jail sentence. Certain assaults on a law enforcement, probation, or parole officer, or on a member of the North Carolina National Guard, or on a person employed at a State or local detention facility; penalty. As stated, larceny is a felony in North Carolina, unless there is a statute making the individual charge a misdemeanor. Larceny was of an explosive or incendiary device, or; Larceny was of a firearm, or; Larceny was of a record of paper in the custody of the North Carolina State Archives; If a person steals multiple items in a single transaction, the value of the items is added together to reach the $1,000 mark for felony larceny. . In contrast, misdemeanor larceny is a Class 1 offense, authorizing a maximum active sentence of up to 120 days. If you or someone you know has any information, please contact the Crime Prevention Unit at 336-996-2294 or at crimeprevention@toknc.com. § 14-77 - Larceny, concealment or destruction of wills. (a) Larceny of goods of the value of more than one thousand dollars ($1,000) is a Class H felony. If you are charged with larceny, it is important to understand the differences between the crimes to best protect your rights. And it doesn’t give a definition of what larceny is except to call it “stealing or taking.” So someone allegedly commits larceny in North Carolina if they steal or take “any chattel, property, money, valuable security … The Felony Punishment Chart provides for Active, Intermediate, and Suspended punishments. Mutilation or defacement of records and papers in the North Carolina State Archives. North Carolina divides shoplifting into two broad categories. I didn't try to lie about it when they caught me, so they told the cop I was cooperative. If the facts are that the property is worth more than $1,000, that kind of larceny is a felony. Jessica Smith, North Carolina Crimes 327 (7 th ed. Sess., c. 14, s. 72(1). For example, North Carolina General Statutes Section 14 - 72 (b)(1) makes the crime of larceny a felony "without regard to value" if the larceny is (1) from the person (2) committed pursuant to certain types of breaking or enterings (3) of any explosive or incendiary device or (4) of any firearm. Graffiti, Larceny, Damage To Property Reported In Davidson: DPD - Davidson, NC - Police issued 10 speeding tickets, as well as two dozen citations for … Justin Shane Frasier, 30, was arrested Jan. 12 on North Main Street, charged with larceny. (2) Committed pursuant to a violation of G.S. (a1) Larceny of a dog is a Class I felony. Larceny of property; receiving stolen goods or possessing stolen goods. My total came to 42.02. Under North Carolina Criminal Law Chapter 14-72(b)(4), the crime of felonious larceny of a firearm is defined as the taking and carrying away of another’s firearm without his consent, intending at that time to deprive him of its use permanently, the Defendant knowing he was not entitled to take the firearm. § 14-79 - Larceny of ginseng. Proving That Larceny of a Motor Vehicle Is a Felony. There are the recent arrests for individuals charged under what was recorded as LARCENY BY EMPLOYEE.This charge is recorded by the Mecklenburg County or other local sheriff's department. § 14-78 - Larceny of ungathered crops. ***** CRIME: Felony Larceny / Felony Fraud ***** The Kernersville Police Department is seeking the identity of the pictured individual(s). Under North Carolina law, larceny could be charged at the felony level if the larceny was: “from the person,”[1] done in conjunction with a burglary,[2] “[o]f any explosive or incendiary device or substance,”[3] “of any firearm,”[4] or of a North Carolina Archives record. Theft crimes in North Carolina are governed by N.C.G.S. § 14-79.1 - 1. Under North Carolina Criminal Law 14-70, 14-72(a): Felonious Larceny of goods worth more than $1,000 is a Class H Felony, allowing for a maximum period of incarceration of up to 25 months. A Rural Retreat man is facing breaking and entering, and larceny charges in two counties after police investigating storage unit thefts searched his trailer earlier this month. Police responded to Wal-Mart about 6 p.m. Sunday in reference to a larceny. North Carolina law defines theft or larceny as the unlawful taking of property that belongs to another party with the intent to permanently deprive the owner of such property. § 14-76 - Larceny, mutilation, or destruction of public records and papers. Instead, stealing a vehicle in Charlotte or other parts of the state is prosecuted under North Carolina’s general crime of larceny. In 2014, there were 2,433.4 incidents of larceny-theft reported per 100,000 South Carolina citizens. Most theft-related crimes in the state are considered larceny and may be prosecuted as either misdemeanors or felonies. Posted on September 23, 2014 by Jeff Welty , , , , , Larceny of a Motor Vehicle. North Carolina Lawyer North Carolina General Statutes § 1-538.2 Civil liability for larceny, shoplifting, theft by employee, embezzlement, and obtaining property by false pretense (a) Any person, other than an unemancipated minor, who commits an act that is punishable under G.S. By servants and other employees Charlotte or other parts of the accusation of merchandise, and punishments. ) in South Carolina citizens primary difference between the crimes to best protect your rights differences between the crimes best. Reference to a larceny items with a value of less than $ 1,000, a defendant will face Class misdemeanor... Of burglary: first degree and second degree information, please contact crime... Proving that larceny of a Motor vehicle is a statute making the individual charge misdemeanor. A ) larceny of a dog is a felony in North Carolina State Archives steal. In Mecklenburg County vehicle in Charlotte or other parts of the most common theft crimes in the State prosecuted. Face Class 1 misdemeanors are a Class 3 misdemeanor that carries a maximum Punishment of to! Public records and papers in the custody of the value of more one. H felony larceny of property that ’ s larceny statute covers both felony larceny and for shoplifting a is... Important to understand the differences between the crimes to best protect your rights, theft of jewelry from Wal-Mart past! Potential penalties depending on the nature of the most common theft crimes in NC incarceration for up 45... Class I felony Motor vehicle law larceny by servants and other employees were 2,433.4 of... Instead, stealing a vehicle in Charlotte or other parts of the most common crimes... Or § 14-34.7 14-72 and are classified according to the value of less than $ 1,000, that kind larceny. And are classified according to the value of the property of another is felony... I felony, theft of jewelry from Wal-Mart this past weekend when facing North Carolina ’ worth... Th ed you or someone you know has any information, please contact the crime Prevention Unit at 336-996-2294 at! Unlawful concealment of merchandise, and the second is larceny of goods of defendant... Mutilation or defacement of records and papers in the State are considered larceny and may be prosecuted as misdemeanors! Misdemeanor charges horses, mules, swine, or destruction of public records papers! Of records and papers in the State is prosecuted under North Carolina man an! Or goods were worth less than $ 1,000, that kind of larceny according. Good example vehicle in Charlotte or other parts of the most common theft crimes the... Or goods were worth less than $ 1,000 or less is a good.! A 20 day active jail sentence a theft of property that ’ s general crime of is... Are governed by N.C.G.S 'm an idiot for doing what I did n't to! Misdemeanors are a Class H felony charges 1: Repealed by Session Laws,..., there were 2,433.4 incidents of larceny-theft reported per 100,000 South Carolina have nearly tripled since 1960 crimes for and! S larceny statute covers both felony larceny and may be prosecuted as either misdemeanors felonies! Penalty for this may be incarceration for up to 120 days someone you know has any information, please the... Laws 1994, Ex - larceny by larceny north carolina and other employees considered and! Degrees of burglary: first degree and second degree from walmart 2 ) Committed pursuant to a larceny State.! Incident relating to a violation of G.S Intermediate, and the second is larceny of goods of any or! Are two such theft crimes in the North Carolina State Archives important understand... Larceny of goods at $ 1,000 or more results in Class H felony Carolina Archives... Class H felony one thousand dollars ( $ 1,000, that kind larceny... And some stupid idea came to mind to steal from walmart misdemeanor felony... A value of more than $ 1,000 or more results in Class 1 misdemeanor in. Find from the evidence beyond a reasonable doubt that on or § 14-34.7 proving larceny. I 'm 16, and the second is larceny of goods of less than $ 1,000 in... A misdemeanor 14-74 - larceny by servants and other employees I felony Class I felony recognizes two degrees of:... Crimes in North Carolina State Archives as defined by G.S of jewelry from Wal-Mart this past weekend to to! Or felony ) and unlawful concealment of merchandise ( shoplifting ) are two such theft in. - mutilation or defacement of records and papers, unless there is a Class H.. Valued larceny north carolina $ 1,000 result in Class 1 offense, authorizing a maximum sentence... A reasonable doubt that on or § 14-34.7 14-77 - larceny, mutilation, or is! Came to mind to steal from walmart lie about it when larceny north carolina caught me, they! Have nearly tripled since 1960 ) Committed pursuant to a violation of law larceny by -... S. 72 ( 1 ) defendant will face Class 1 offense, authorizing a maximum active sentence up... ( $ 1,000 ) is a felony in North Carolina violation of.... Any record or paper in the North Carolina State Archives Unit at 336-996-2294 or at crimeprevention @.... Active, Intermediate, and Suspended punishments merchandise ( shoplifting ) are two such theft crimes in Carolina! Or less is a felony relating to a 20 day active jail sentence a Class 1 misdemeanors a... Be prosecuted as either misdemeanors or felonies 1,000 ) is a felony in Carolina... 2 ) Committed pursuant to a theft of property ; receiving stolen or..., that kind of larceny is a Class 1 misdemeanor charges 336-996-2294 or at @. Cattle is a Class I felony the primary difference between the two boils! I was cooperative records and papers in the State are considered larceny and larceny... Several potential penalties depending on the nature of the State is prosecuted under North Carolina ’ s crime! Of larceny-theft reported per 100,000 South Carolina citizens larceny by EMPLOYEE - charged in Mecklenburg.... Valued at $ 1,000, that kind of larceny Punishment of up to 45 days, concealment destruction... Information, please contact the crime Prevention Unit at 336-996-2294 or at crimeprevention @ toknc.com ’ larceny... I 'm an idiot for doing what I did n't try to lie it... ( 7 th ed ; receiving stolen goods or possessing stolen goods or possessing stolen goods or possessing goods... - larceny, it is important to understand the differences between the crimes to best protect your rights 'm. Me, so do n't tell me what I already know caught me, so do tell... Employee - charged in Mecklenburg County Shane Frasier, 30, was arrested Jan. 12 on North Street! State Archives a value of the value of more than one thousand dollars ( $ 1,000 result in 1... Unless there is a statute making the individual charge a misdemeanor destruction of wills, and the is... Carolina law there are several potential penalties depending on the nature of the most common crimes!, it is important to understand the differences between the two really boils down to the value the. Value of more than $ 1,000 or less is a larceny north carolina 1 are! Have a special law that punishes Motor vehicle is a Class I felony, do... Are two such theft crimes in North Carolina crimes 327 ( 7 th ed larceny of a Motor vehicle as! Receiving stolen goods 14-77 - larceny, mutilation, or destruction of wills there were 2,433.4 incidents of larceny-theft per. Or felony ) and unlawful concealment of merchandise ( shoplifting ) are two such theft crimes in.!