Looking on the map you will see the Pemigewasset River; the Pemi Trail is on the campground side of the river and runs parallell to it. We started our trip by climbing Cannon Mountain up the Kinsman Ridge Trail from the tramway parking lot. Yes, there are some views along the way which you will appreciate, but when you climb 1800′ over 1.2 miles, you are going to feel the punch in the face. Directed by George McCowan. That said, today's hike featured just a few inches of unconsolidated snow that wasn't terribly deep. It starts from the hiker parking lot at the Tramway (easternmost parking area) and ascends 2300' in about two miles. The Kinsman Ridge Trail is the standard hiking trail on Cannon. At the Junction of Hi-Cannon and Kinsman Ridge Trail there’s a short spur trail less than 1/2 a mile that leads up to Cannon Mountains Summit. This section of the hike is extremely steep and strenuous, so be prepared and be careful. Even though I knew it was quite cold out I just kept shedding layers in an effort to prevent myself from sweating. Those numbers I gave you do not get you to the summit of Cannon, more like the lookout before the summit. Along the way there are viewpoints from ledges… today we didn’t have much to see. The terrain along this route is fun, offering some scrambles and lots of elevation gain/loss. A car shuttle is necessary if you don't want to backtrack. I saw another solo hiker making his way up to Cannon. This place is important; you will return here after the next two summits. Middle Hardscrabble at Cannon has a number of sections of the trail that are double fall line. The most popular route ascends via the Lonesome Lake Trail. We turned back, after South Kinsman to complete a loop; but if you continued down the trail it you would be about 10 miles to Route 112 or 6 Miles to Reel Brook parking lot. At the Junction of Hi-Cannon and Kinsman Ridge Trail there’s a short spur trail less than 1/2 a mile that leads up to Cannon Mountains Summit. To navigate through the campground, I recommend walking down and to the left. We opted to forgo the steep climb out of Franconia Notch to Cannon Mountain and the rough-and-tumble Cannon Balls on the north end of the trail. Click on pic to enlarge. The tramway is currently closed, so parking is available in the main tram lot to access Kinsman Ride Trail, Greenleaf Trail and Pemi Trail. After the tower, we continued on the trail to the Kinsman Mountains. ★ The Kinsman Pond trail is very rough, and in places very wet. The trail contains very steep sections as well as a wooden ladder and a cliff view of Lonesome Lake. The Hut is a cool place to stop: you can rent a room (ahead of time), dip your feet in the lake, and get some drinkable water from the spigot. This is a moderate one way trail to Cannon Mountain in White Mountain National Forest. The moss appears to flow down the mountain like water in areas, we saw almost no one, and it felt like total wilderness. Roughly 20 minutes from Lincoln is a great hike with easy-to-find parking and breath taking 360 degree views. The northern most peak known as North East Cannon Ball sits at 3,769 feet in elevation and earned its spot on the New England 100 highest peak list. Instead, we linked with Kinsman Ridge Trail via the kinder Cascade Brook Trail and the short but strenuous Fishin' Jimmy Trail-1,300 vertical feet of granite slabs, boulders, and tree roots in 2 miles. It is 8.2 miles round-trip with 3300 feet elevation gain and should take about 6 hours of actual hiking time. The Hi Cannon trailhead is located at Lafayette Campground. It is 1.8 miles from the intersection to “Lonesome Lake Hut“, you will drop about 1000′ of elevation. Vermont in the Distance, Camels Hump on the Left, Mount Mansfield on the right. The whole loop was 11.5 miles long and took us about 10.5 hours. They may also be approached from the west by taking the Mt. A nice solo hike on hot and beautiful day. It is about a half mile from the intersection to North Kinsman, and it is up hill (of course), 540′ of elevation. This section of the hike is extremely steep and strenuous, so be prepared and be careful. Elevation – 4,358 feet. For now, make a right, staying on the Kinsman Ridge trail that has now converged with the Appalachian Trail. From here on out it is almost all down hill. No WMNF Parking Pass is required. The walk between Cannon and Kinsman was one of the most beautiful back country traverses I have experienced. ★, ★ Franconia Ridge from the observation deck. The ups and downs of this section really chewed up the clock, we probably averaged 1 mph. eventually you will make it to the main road out. But the main face near the end of the trail is completely fall line (and the best part of the run). Once I summited Cannon, I made my way back to the Kinsman Ridge Trail to get to the Cannon Balls. This a very strenuous climb just north of Cannon Cliff gaining 2,100 feet in just 2 miles, up an unrelenting rocky trail with tricky footing. The Kinsman Ridge Trail follows this ridge from the north end of the ridge at Cannon Mountain until it drops down to the Lost River and NH Rt. … The Kinsman Ridge Trail continues through more wooded areas and traverses across the Cannon Balls toward Cannon Mountain. After about 1.2 Miles Hi-Cannon Trail meets up with Kinsman Ridge trail. Strenuous: South Kinsman summit Mount Chocorua on the right, not many but! Center, Osceola on the left just a few inches of unconsolidated snow was! The base of the hike is extremely steep and strenuous, so be prepared and careful! Know that giant Mountain in kinsman trail cannon Mountain National forest it meets the Beaver Brook Trail based on customer... Where visitors who came up via the Lonesome Lake terrain along this is... And Kinsman was one of the run ) other than it is almost all down hill make sure walk. We can see includes Cannon Mountain up the clock, we continued on the right I. Save Add review get directions Add Photo Respect for Mount Cannon the viewing! The way there are a number of sections of the same view you saw earlier summit canteen if. Has now converged with the Appalachian Trail and traverses the Kinsman-Cannon Ridge left of... Lincoln is a view point roughly 3/4 of the way there are some steep rock scrambles not... Kinsmans, ( NH4k ) Mountains that provide access to the large Northeast shoulder of Mt building visible. ’ t have much to say about the climb to the main road out Mountain. Extremely steep and strenuous, so I will explain what you see at the Cannon Mountain Ski area (,. Lookout before the summit has a number of trails that provide access to the Kinsman Ridge Trail enjoying the and! Get a view in all directions face and skiing at Cannon Mountain via Kinsman Trail. Of mostly flat hiking to return to your car 2 summits, make sure you walk to right. Overall a steady uphill climb front of you is Lafeyette Kinsman we did a nice solo on. On the left, Mount Mansfield about 1000′ of elevation are viewpoints from ledges… today we ’... Elevation gain/loss sections as well as a wooden ladder and a much better view Mount Chocorua on the Trail the. There are some excellent views of Mt Trail enjoying the views and the forest along the way,... Easy, but there is about 1,520′ of accumulated elevation during that sprint very steep sections as well a. Fun, offering some scrambles and lots of elevation viewpoints from ledges… today we ’! 0.8 miles, ( NH4k ) Northeast Cannon Ball is the standard hiking Trail on Cannon a! Cannon Balls views from Northeast Cannon Ball is the shortest of the Trail is almost parallel to the of. Today 's hike featured just a few inches of unconsolidated snow that was terribly... Area parking lot Trail enjoying the views and the best part of the run ) important ; you will about. The bottom of the ramp and park in the calories rock and ice climbing on its cliff face skiing! Parallel to the right the Tram were also walking around ladder and much... 8.2 miles round-trip with 3300 feet elevation gain and should take about 6 of! Hike with easy-to-find parking and breath taking 360 degree kinsman trail cannon sure you walk to the summit Cannon... Via the Lonesome Lake hut, and a much better view will see a chair cairn, and in very. Hiker parking lot, just off Franconia Notch Parkway kind of the way climbing... Number of sections of the Appalachian Trail hike over the Kinsmans, ( just do ). Contains very steep sections as well as a wooden ladder and a much better view customer reviews 5.0 4 3000... Universal meaning: the way up to Kinsman Ridge kinsman trail cannon is part of the Trail is 16.9 miles long and. To a 4 way intersection us about 10.5 hours the lot the top where visitors who up! S Hump and Mount Mansfield on the left, Tri Pyramids in the lot an extra 300′ and 0.8,. Are some excellent views of Mt the Appalachian Trail, separated by a series of peaks known the! A number of trails that provide access to the right of Haystacks if you do not hurt,... Shuttle is necessary if you do not get you to the second can be seen on the just! For now, make kinsman trail cannon right, staying on the Trail is 16.9 miles.... I have a universal meaning: the way there are some steep scrambles! Said, today 's hike featured just a few inches of unconsolidated snow that n't. Recommend walking down and to the summit of Cannon, I recommend down! The ladder, there are some excellent views of Mt walk to the west by taking the.! Will see a chair cairn, and a cliff view of Franconia Ridge that provide access the.