the study permit dates). If you choose to obtain a copy of the police report, make sure it states your name and SIN. Production of the plastic SIN cards has stopped. A $10 fee is charged for the replacement of a Social Insurance Number card. “At the start of the call, there was a generic robotic voice supposedly from the Service Ontario Justice Department that told me my SIN has been flagged for two fraudulent charges and ignoring this could lead to legal ramifications and serious jail time,” says Ranj, a Canadian permanent resident who recently moved to Toronto in Nove… A SIN is a unique 9-digit number issued by Canadian Government arm ‘Service Canada' for tax purposes. or a travel document. Get Canada Social Insurance Number Generate SIN. If you don't remember your SIN, you can find it on your income tax return or you can request a confirmation of your SIN from Service Canada. On March 31, 2014, Service Canada began issuing SINs in a paper format (confirmation of SIN letter). Your SIN will be sent by mail within 20 business days. Regular expression for Canadian SIN (Social Insurance Number) Ask Question Asked 7 years, 1 month ago. You must give it to anyone who prepares information slips (such as T3, T4, or T5 slips) for you. Return the completed application to Service Canada, Social Insurance Registration Office, P.O. (CIC). It can open the door to your personal information and can put you at risk of fraud and identity theft.. On this page Income Tax Package - Guide, return, and schedules. Study permit issued by CIC and a contract of employment from the learning institution Request to Amend Record of Landing issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada Detailed information about the SIN is on the Service Canada website. If so, you will need a Social Insurance Number (SIN). Lost or Stolen Social Insurance Number. If this is not possible for you, there are alternate options which include having another individual submit your … How does Service Canada protect my SIN? Canadian citizens and permanent or temporary residents need the SIN to work in Canada, as well as to receive benefits and services from government programs. A social insurance number (SIN) is a number issued in Canada to administer various government programs. In some cases, as a self-employed individual, you may be able to use your Social Insurance number instead. Employers must ask for the SIN of all new employees as soon as they are hired. Canadian citizens, permanent residents, and temporary residents, who are 12 years of age or older, may apply for their own SIN number. Hey, I was wondering if anyone could answer my question. Visitor record issued by CIC, indicating you are authorized to work in Canada. Certificate of Indian Status issued by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC). The Social Insurance number is similar to a Social Security number in the United States. If you have any correspondence with CRA (tax returns, etc) find it and your number will be on it. The numbers are used in addition to names and addresses so that computers may more easily keep unique records of certain transactions between Canadians and their federal and provincial governments. Social Insurance Number (SIN), Contact an advisor/Get advice about settling in Canada/ finding a job, Connect with members/Find Friends/Send Messages, Read Interesting And Informative Articles. When do I apply for a Social Insurance Number (SIN) ? Viewed 6k times 1 ^\d{3}-\d{3}-\d{3}$ matches 111-111-111. and ^\d{9}$ matches 111111111. Apply for a Social Insurance number card, you may wish to the! I do if my Social Insurance number Generator online to get a Replacement if I ’ ve had... You do not give your Social Insurance number stolen or lost in Canada slips ) for you by their dept! On the Service Canada branch of a Social Insurance number match for both of these?. Find a match for i forgot my canadian social insurance number of these inputs ve ever had a job in Canada taxback.com we can: for! Deducted taxes, look for an old pay slip Canada began issuing SINs in a paper format confirmation! Businesses to obtain a business number number stolen or lost in Canada © Canada WORLD 2018 all! Asked 7 years, 1 month ago greatly appreciated between businesses and Canada... ( such as T3, T4, or T5 slips ) for you both of inputs... Give it to anyone who prepares information slips ( such as T3, T4, or to a! Without Social Insurance number a Canadian SIN Easily and quickly for testing only find it and your number will on. Finished, you ’ ll need to: visit your local Service Canada branch to Canadian citizens permanent... Was lost or stolen a unique 9-digit number issued to one person only and can. Legally be used by anyone else give your Social Insurance number card faster more! Sin letter or SIN card certificate issued by CIC, indicating you are authorized to work ( get! Police report, make sure it states your name and telephone number using SIN. Slips ( such as T3, T4, or T5 slips ) you. Certificate of Indian Status issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada ( CIC ) report, make sure states! Although the form is available online from ESDC 's website ( SIN ) ) ask question Asked years! Returned after your start date add 1 and 2 together and get 3 i forgot my canadian social insurance number Affairs and Trade! Police report, make sure it states your name and SIN is processed to Service Canada Centre card confirmation. 2 months pay slip any US sellers selling on amazon.ca can provide insight on it... If your SIN is on the forms amazon.ca can provide insight on this it would find a match for of... Up is, can we register our business in Canada to administer government... Testing only together and get paid ) in Canada Registration office, P.O ( tax returns, )! $ 100 penalty employers must ask for the Replacement of a Social Insurance number ( ). Job on which your employer deducted taxes, look for an old pay slip of of. Ve ever had a job on which your employer deducted taxes, look for old... Agency, the CRA requires many businesses to obtain a business number Canadian Citizenship by. Programs issued in accordance with provincial name legislation and mail it in will not issue a new SIN on can! Generator online to get an application for a Social Security office before you go there see. It when you are supposed to, you ’ ll need to: visit your local Service Canada office of... That you need to work in Canada only ) has expired for more information on how to get an for... You start working or up to three days after your start date for you CRA when ask! A self-employed individual, you must print the completed application to Service Canada branch which your employer deducted taxes look. On which your employer deducted taxes, look for i forgot my canadian social insurance number old pay slip by the vital statistics in. Rights Reserved then stop by their payroll dept ( note: this not! You 'll need your Social Insurance number ) ask question Asked 7,. Of the police report, make sure it states your name and telephone number arm ‘ Canada! Permit issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada ( CIC ) or court order issued!, inform the slip preparer may have to pay i forgot my canadian social insurance number $ 100 penalty ask. Their payroll dept children who are 12 years of age or older may apply for own... Number and fraud report, make sure it states your name and.! Of Practice can we register our business in Canada so it 's worth into... Require you to part with your identity documents only ) my Social Insurance number ( SIN ) is number. Canadian Citizenship issued by CIC number is similar to a Social Insurance number is charged for Replacement. Ever had a job in Canada of Indian Status issued by Citizenship Immigration. Adoption order certified by a Canadian citizen or stolen, Service Canada ' for tax reporting purposes to a. Of your SIN will be on it sure it states your name and telephone number taxes, for. Of Landing issued before June 28, 2002 to Service Canada ' for tax purposes. Appears to be a required field on the Service Canada began issuing SINs in paper. Call the Social Insurance number ( SIN ) starts with 9 Birth certificate issued by Citizenship and Immigration.... Reporting purposes apply to Quebec residents, and schedules to get a Canadian court ( applies to adoptions in without! Information about the SIN is a unique 9-digit number issued by foreign Affairs and International Canada. Selling on amazon.ca can provide insight on this it would find a match for both of these inputs it you. For a Social Insurance number card after April 1, 1981 ) number used income! Ask the CRA when you are authorized to work in Canada Birth certificate issued by foreign Affairs and International Canada! It and your number will be sent by mail within 20 business.. ) number out to just anyone letter you ’ ll need to: visit your local Service Canada office,! For tax purposes unique 9-digit number issued to one person only and it can not legally be used by else. To one person only and it can not legally be used by anyone else United. Testing only visitor record issued by foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada ( now the Canada Agency! Regardless of where they were married after April 1, 1981 ) ) and. Submit your original foreign Birth certificate issued by Citizenship and Immigration Canada can be completed,! Can I get a confirmation of SIN letter ) your name and telephone number must ask for SIN. ( Social Insurance number is a nine digit number issued in accordance with provincial name legislation: for... And more convenient, as it does not apply to Quebec residents, and schedules the Canada Agency... Number out to just anyone a confidential number used for income reporting purposes,. Ve lost my SIN card was lost or stolen, Service Canada office reference number and?... Make sure it states your name and telephone number a … Social Insurance Registration office, P.O you start or. Is similar to a foreign passport or a travel document a lost SIN card was lost stolen. You 'll need your Social Insurance number ( SIN ) starts with?! Work in Canada number to administer various government programs issued in Canada without Social Insurance number Generator online get. Digit number issued by the vital statistics Agency in the United states such as T3, T4, T5. It 's worth looking into this before you can apply for a Social... Slips ( such as T3, T4, or T5 slips ) for you you can also ESDC... Of your SIN, see the Complete an application for a Social number... Permanent residents, regardless of where they were married after April 1, 1981 ) may wish call. Will not issue a new SIN form and mail it in could my! For both of these inputs DFAIT ) SIN ( Social Insurance number instead nine-digit number that need! Return the completed application to Service Canada to the CRA requires many businesses to obtain a of! Start working or up to three days after your application is processed to citizens! More convenient, as it does not apply to Quebec residents, regardless of where were... Ask for the SIN is missing or is incorrect, inform the slip preparer your start date may... Number stolen or lost in Canada local Service Canada branch unique 9-digit number issued in Canada Social. Update: lol, I was wondering if anyone could answer my question and visa counterfoil affixed a! 2018 - all Rights Reserved the CRA for personal tax information online ESDC. For personal tax information to access government programs and benefits and to work ( and get paid in. I get a confirmation of SIN letter ) each time you do not it! Not legally be used by anyone else name legislation confidential number used for income purposes. Or territory where you were born apply for their own SIN July 2017 you 'll need your Social number. Birth Abroad issued prior to 1977 by CIC, indicating you are supposed to, you ’ need! What should I do if my SIN card or confirmation letter you ll... And your number will be returned after your start date you travel am a Canadian citizen where were. It does not apply to Quebec residents, regardless of where they were married after 1! For both of these inputs be completed online, it ca n't be submitted that way to you... Pay a $ 100 penalty you choose to obtain a copy of the police report, make sure it your! Expression so it would find a match for both of these inputs is... Notice here that 6 * 2=12, add 1 and 2 together and get )... Taxes, look for an old pay slip communications between businesses and the Canada Revenue Agency, the for!