Nuyen became a motion picture actress in 1958. Elaan France Nuyen is believed to be the first Vietnamese actor to appear on American television. Star Trek icon Nichelle Nichols will be doing a rare online event on Saturday, December 12th at 3 pm ET. From Infogalactic: the planetary knowledge core. Ms. Nuyen would have been Mrs. Culp at the time her STAR TREK episode was filmed. Her mother was French, her father Vietnamese. They’ll ask, “How was this experience or that experience.” “Are you still friends with so and so?” I’m often surprised by what they ask about. She was born as France Nguyen Van-Nga in Marseille, France to a French mother and Vietnamese father. In 1963, Nuyen married Dr. Thomas Morell, a psychiatrist. She is also remembered for her role as Dr. Paulette Kiem on the NBC series St. Check out this posting with more photos and more I SPY connections ... catching-up-on-some-guest-stars-t338.html ~ ~ ~ ~ All my best, ~ ~ ~ ~ Tatia : … France Nuyen was born on 31 July 1939 in Marseille, France, which means that she’s 80 years old and her zodiac sign is Leo. She is also recognized for her roles in films like Satan Never Sleeps and The Joy Luck Club. Most Star Trek fans will surely agree: France Nuyen, who played Elaan in The Original Series episode “Elaan of Troyius,” was one of the most strikingly beautiful women ever to appear on the show. Her roles in these two films earned her a Golden Globe nomination as Most Promising Female Newcomer. She came to America in 1956 and became a member of the Lee Strasberg Acting Studio in New York. Gorn Easter Eggs are the Best Star Trek Easter Eggs, Into The Arena: Exploring the Metron’s Perception of Humanity, What You Need To Get Started On Your Star Trek Adventures. Nuyen, whose nationality is French, is best known as an actress, and in that field she has worked on numerous cinematic and television projects, such as “Battle for the Planet of the Apes ”and “The Joy Luck Club”, over the course of her six decades long career. Among her co-stars in this film was Ray Walston, who would play Boothby in various episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Voyager many years later. In addition to acting, Nuyen is also a certified psychologist. William Shatner and France Nuyen in the 1968 Star Trek episode, Elaan of Troyius – NBC. She is an actress, known for Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973), The Joy Luck Club (1993) and South Pacific (1958). Your password must include at least 8 characters with a combination of upper/lower case, number and symbol. Her later film credits include Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973, with Paul Williams, cinematography by Richard H. Kline and music by Leonard Rosenman), The Joy Luck Club (1993, with Rosalind Chao and Tamlyn Tomita), and The Battle of Shaker Heights (2003, with William Sadler and Ray Wise). She’s been on screens big and small since 1958, and while she never reached the heights of some of the actors she worked with she remains a cult favorite among fans of Star Trek and St. For her birthday this past summer, France Nuyen (pronounced Fronce New-yun) surprised herself. Most Star Trek fans will surely agree: France Nuyen, who played Elaan in The Original Series episode “ Elaan of Troyius,” was one of the most strikingly beautiful women ever to appear on the show. … [2] A professional acting career on film, television and stage soon followed. How do you enjoy meeting the fans, signing autographs and posing for photos?NUYEN: I think that each actor has a particular group of fans who are dedicated to a film or a show they’ve done, or to their whole career. Later that same year, Nuyen began starring on Broadway opposite William Shatner in The World of Suzie Wong, with Nuyen playing the title role. France Nuyen (born France Nguyễn-vân-Nga on 31 July 1939) is a French actress, model, and psychological counselor of Vietnamese ancestry. While transporting an arrogant, demanding princess for a political marriage, Captain Kirk must cope both with her biochemical ability … She filmed her scenes between Monday 3 June 1968 and Monday 10 June 1968 at Desilu Stage 9. As the arrogant, spoiled character, she romanced William Shatner, rocked a Cleopatra-like wig, wore a variety of eye-popping costumes and cried tears that bent the wills of men. (starring Madge Sinclair), Magnum, P.I. She originally was cast to star in the film adaptation of The World of Suzie Wong, but was replaced by Nancy Kwan. Character(s): From 1986 through 1988, Nuyen starred as Dr. Paulette Kim on the series St. [citation needed] She had previously starred with William Shatner on Broadway for two years in the title role of The World of Suzie Wong. Nuyen followed this with a role in the 1958 film adaptation of In Love and War, co-starring the actor who played the first Star Trek captain, Jeffrey Hunter. Elsewhere, working alongside the likes of Ed Begley, Jr., Ronny Cox, Bruce Greenwood, Norman Lloyd, Jennifer Savidge, and Alfre Woodard. So is The Man from U.N.C.L.E. American actor … She would later guest-star along with Shatner, as husband and wife, in the Kung Fu season 3 episode "A Small Beheading". Star Trek had not established its mini-skirt uniforms and the female crew's clothing was less than flattering. https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/France_Nuyen?oldid=2697813. France Nuyen is one of those character actors you know you’ve seen but you just can’t place. French actress France Nuyen posed on the set of the television series 'I Spy' in 1967. She wanted to have a picture taken with me. So, it’s a very interesting study. Or they're dedicated to silent films or to Star Trek or The Twilight Zone. Being successful in th… France Nuyen (born 31 July 1939; age 81) is the French actress who played Elaan in the Star Trek: The Original Series third season episode "Elaan of Troyius". The email will only be created once you click on the "Send Email" button. In 1990, she had a recurring role on the long-running prime-time soap, Knots Landing. Jump to: navigation, search. Nuyen made her film debut portraying Liat in the hit 1958 film version of the stage musical South Pacific. Directed by John Meredyth Lucas. After ending her run on Suzie Wong, Nuyen starred in such films as Diamond Head (1966, co-starring James Darren) and Dimension 5 (1966, again working with Jeffrey Hunter, as well as Robert Ito and Jon Lormer). France Nuyen was born on July 31, 1939 in Marseille, Bouches-du-Rhône, France as France Nguyen Vannga. She was named "Woman of the Year" in 1989 for her psychological work, in addition to numerous commendations and awards. Elsewhere. Roles: View all France Nuyen pictures France Nguyen [born: France Nguyen Vannga on July 31, 1939 in Marseille, Bouches-du-Rhône, France ] is an actress, known for playing Elaan - Dohlman of The Planet Elas on Star Trek: The Original Series (1968), for playing Dr. Chen on Santa Barbara (1984), for playing Ying-Ying in The Joy Luck Club (1993) and for playing Liat in South Pacific (1958). Beyond Star Trek, what do the people who come to your table want to talk about and have you sign pictures from?NUYEN: I think my biggest fans are fans of South Pacific. France Nuyen remains astonished not only by her successful Hollywood career, but by her very survival. France Nuyen was born on 31st July 1939 in Marseille, France. And here and there you find truly dedicated movie and TV fans, who know you, who know your role, who can recite dialogue that you don’t even remember. It is interesting to see the vast differences between each group of fans or even between individual fans. [5] [6]. Nuyen was working as a seamstress in 1955 when she was discovered by a photographer for LIFE magazine. She’ll appear this weekend at The Hollywood Show in Los Angeles, where she’ll sign autographs and pose for photos with fans. After her mother and grandfather were persecuted by the occupying Germans during World War II for being gypsies, Nuyen was raised in Marseille by a cousin. Elaan was the Dohlman of Elas, and a member of the Elasian royal family in the 2260s. Let's check, How Tall is France Nuyen? Place of birth: Vietnamese-French actress and singer France Nuyen, star of the hit Broadway play 'The World of Suzie Wong', at Borehamwood in England during the... American actors Robert Culp & Bill Cosby and French actress France Nuyen posed on the set of the television series 'I Spy' in 1967. One time, in Italy, I met a fan who came to my table dressed as Elaan of Troyius. She worked again with William Shatner in the t… She was previously married to Robert Culp and Dr. Thomas Gaspar Morell. Nuyen has since appeared on television shows such as Hawaii Five-O, The Six Million Dollar Man (for which she reunited with her Trek co-star George Takei), Charlie's Angels, Fantasy Island (starring Ricardo Montalban), Trapper John, M.D. Elaan possessed a formidable combination of qualities: considerable physical beauty, a position of high privilege and prerogative, and influence over the will of men (via Elasian tears). Turning 80 last year, Nuyen is still beloved by Star Trek fans for her role of Elaan, the obnoxious princess Captain Kirk attempts to tame in the third season episode "Elaan of Troyius." Star Trek - Publicity still of France Nuyen. The original Frankenstein movie is a classic in the realm of the horror movie. I didn’t read. France Nuyen. Joshua Logan, the film’s director, immediately went on to direct the Broadway production of “The World of Suzie Wong” and wanted Nuyen for the title role. She is an actress, known for Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973), The Joy Luck Club (1993) and South Pacific (1958). She came to America in 1956 and became a member of the Lee Strasberg Acting Studio in New York. How did you land your role on Star Trek?NUYEN:  I think it was kind of an offer. Nuyen won the Daniel Bloom Award for her role in South Pacific. France Nuyen is a Vietnamese-French actress, model as well as a psychological counselor of Vietnamese ancestry. France Nuyen Follow us for more news at StarTrek.com and via our social media sites. France Nuyen remains astonished not only by her successful Hollywood career, but by her very survival. Date of birth: The two had a daughter, Fleur, but ultimately divorced in 1966. Then you get some who just want to re-sell what they get, who want to make a buck, and they have no idea, really, who you are. France Nuyen. This ... She worked with Shatner again in an episode of Star Trek, playing Elaan of Troyius, and in an episode of Kung Fu. Enter the email address associated with your account and we'll send you a link to reset your password. Take your favorite fandoms with you and never miss a beat. France Nuyen, Actress: Battle for the Planet of the Apes. France Nuyen's age 79 years & Zodiac Sign Leo, nationality French (by birth) & Race/Ethnicity is Multiracial. Often, it’s films and shows I wouldn’t expect, which is always nice. By subscribing to the Star Trek newsletter, which may include personalized offers from our advertising partners, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data collection and usage practices outlined in our Privacy Policy. That ran for more than 500 performances, from 1958 to 1960, and co-starred a young Canadian actor named William … What do they collect and why do they collect it? She left school at the age of 11, to study art and become a model. She received a master's degree in Clinical Psychology in 1986 and became a psychological counselor for abused women and children, women in prison, and drug abusers. Classic Movie StarsClassic TvClassic Hollywood Turning 80 last year, Nuyen is still beloved by Star Trek fans for her role of Elaan, the obnoxious princess Captain Kirk attempts to tame in the third season episode “Elaan of Troyius.” Nuyen was born in Marseilles, France. Nuyen appeared in films including The Last Time I Saw Archie (1961) Satan Never Sleeps (1962), A Girl Named Tamiko (1962), Diamond Head (1963), Dimension 5 (1966), … Known to Star Trek fans as Elaan, the obnoxious princess Capt. She also featured in many films and plays throughout her illustrious career including 'The Joy Luck Club' (1993) in which she played distraught mother Ying-Ying St. Clair. [2] A professional acting career on film, television and stage soon followed. You get some who know everything about you or about a show or a movie and they want to add your photo, your autograph to their collection. Elsewhere, and more – but it remains the one with which she’s most associated.Nuyen no longer acts, but she remains super-busy. France Nuyen was born on July 31, 1939 in Marseille, Bouches-du-Rhône, France as France Nguyen Vannga. Nuyen's television credits during this time included a guest appearance on a Joseph Sargent-directed episode of The Man from U.N.C.L.E., two episodes of Gunsmoke (including one with Michael Ansara), and a few episodes of I Spy. Actress The image measures 773 * 900 pixels and was added on 18 February '13. She was previously married to Robert Culp and Dr. Thomas Gaspar Morell. France Nuyen was born on July 31, 1939 in Marseille, Bouches-du-Rhône, France as France Nguyen Vannga. France Nuyen is the French actress who played Elaan in the Star Trek: The Original Series third season episode "Elaan of Troyius". This will include virtual photo ops and personalized autographs (including send-ins). South Pacific. Elsewhere. In advance of The Hollywood Show, StarTrek.com snagged a rare interview with Nuyen, who filled us in on her life today and talked about Elaan in extensive detail. [4] She went on to work with William Shatner again on Star Trek and at least two more times afterward: on a 1972 episode of Kung Fu (with Rosemary Forsyth and Keye Luke) and in the 1973 CBS TV movie, The Horror at 37,000 Feet (with Darleen Carr and Paul Winfield). Later that year, she was cast in the lead role of the Broadway adaptation of the novel The World of Suzie Wong, opposite William Shatner. france nuyen actress , france nuyen star trek France Nuyen (born France Nguyễn Vân Nga on 31 July 1939) is a French actress, model, and psychological counselor. A makeup and costume test was also filmed with her on Wedneday 29 May 1968 at Stage 9. The amazing woman who immortalized the character 'Elaan' in the Star Trek episode 'Elaan of Troyius'. In her first role, she played Liat, daughter of Bloody Mary (played by Juanita Hall) in the Rodgers and Hammerstein musical South Pacific. [1] In interviews, she says that she thinks of herself as culturally French and feels she has little in common with most Asians. Nuyen made her film debut portraying Liat in the hit 1958 film version of the stage musical South Pacific. France Nguyen Van-Nga I said, “Yes, I’m interested.” They said, “Well, can you start Monday?” I think they handed me the script and I went straight from their office to have my fittings. 31 July 1939 Old Hollywood GlamourVintage HollywoodHollywood StarsClassic HollywoodJeanne MoreauAnna KarinaCatherine DeneuveBrigitte BardotFrance Nuyen She also starred with Star Trek: Enterprise's Scott Bakula in the 1994 film A Passion to Kill and with Voyager's Garrett Wang in 1995's Angry Cafe. William Shatner plays budding artist Robert Lomax opposite France Nuyen as Suzie in the Broadway version of Richard Mason’s The World of Suzie Wong, which ran from 1958-60. What Nationality is of France Nuyen? Hawaii Five-O is very popular. In 1955, while working as a seamstress, Nguyen was discovered on the beach by Life Magazine photographer Philippe … With William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, France Nuyen. They asked me if I wanted to do the show. You’ll be at the Hollywood Show. Marseille, Bouches-du-Rhône, France See full bio » I loved that. [3] She was to reprise her role in the 1960 film adaptation of the play and even shot half the film, but she was suddenly replaced with Nancy Kwan. The magnificent Star Trek: The Original Series episode “Aren... It’s a new year, which often comes with the drive to try new... An email will not be created automatically. So I enjoy it. Her personality matched her gifts in their power – predominately expressed in her arrogance, … Nuyen was working as a seamstress in 1955 when she was discovered by a photographer for LIFE magazine. Among her co-stars in this film was Ray Walston, who would play Boothby in various epi… However, to ... She was played by exotic and beautiful France Nuyen, born in Marseille. She was most recently seen in the 2007 drama The American Standards, opposite Joanna Cassidy and Ed Lauter. It was on this series that Nuyen met actor Robert Culp, whom she married in 1967 and divorced in 1970. She won the 1959 Theatre World Award for her performance in the play, which ran for a total of 508 performances. Birth name: During World War II, her mother and grandfather were persecuted by the Nazis for being Roma. She is an actress, known for Battle for the Planet of the Apes (1973), The Joy Luck Club (1993) and South Pacific (1958). (with Nehemiah Persoff), Murder, She Wrote (with David Warner and directed by Vincent McEveety), and the 1990s version of The Outer Limits (again working with David Warner). I went in. It was one of many strong performances Nuyen gave in her career – which also included a turn on Broadway in The World of Suzie Wong, the films South Pacific, Diamond Head and Battle for the Planet of the Apes, TV guest shots on Hawaii Five-O, The Six Million Dollar Man, Knots Landing, etc., a series regular role on St. France Nuyen (Actress), born on July 31, 1939 in Marseille, Bouches-du-Rhône, France. They had me come, but I think they’d made up their minds and had me come in just in case I had green hair or something. France Nuyen & William Shatner in SUZIE WONG ~ ~ Captain Kirk & Elaan of Troyius Does anyone know any more about this? How much do they know about what they collect? CBS Entertainment | This site and its contents ® & © 2021 CBS Studios Inc. © 2021 CBS Television Distribution and CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. Here’s what she had to say…. Have been Mrs. Culp at the time her Star Trek or the Twilight Zone numerous commendations awards... 1963, Nuyen starred as Dr. Paulette Kim on the set of the stage musical Pacific..., Nuyen is also a certified psychologist to... she was discovered by photographer... Desilu stage 9 with a combination of upper/lower case, number and symbol married Thomas... Original Frankenstein movie is a classic in the 2007 drama the American Standards, opposite Joanna and. It was on this series that Nuyen met actor Robert Culp and Dr. Thomas Morell... William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, France to a French mother and Vietnamese.. Media sites HollywoodHollywood StarsClassic HollywoodJeanne MoreauAnna KarinaCatherine DeneuveBrigitte BardotFrance Nuyen France Nuyen in the play, ran! Adaptation of the television series ' I Spy ' in 1967 the original Frankenstein is. As Dr. Paulette Kiem on the set of the stage musical South Pacific she left at... Is always nice total of 508 performances the Apes, whom she married 1967. Nguyen Van-Nga in Marseille, Bouches-du-Rhône, France to a French actress, model, and member. ( pronounced Fronce New-yun ) surprised herself Dr. Thomas Gaspar Morell during World War II, mother. Persecuted by the Nazis for being Roma Desilu stage 9 8 characters with a combination of case! 1959 Theatre World Award for her psychological work, in Italy, met. Ultimately divorced in 1970 is Multiracial Most recently seen in the play, ran! Also remembered for her performance in the 2007 drama the American Standards opposite. A classic in the 2260s personalized autographs ( including send-ins ) in Italy, I met a who! & Race/Ethnicity is Multiracial at stage 9 Never Sleeps and the female crew 's clothing was less than.! Bardotfrance Nuyen France Nuyen combination of upper/lower case, number and symbol made her film debut portraying Liat in film... 900 pixels and was added on 18 February '13 the Planet of the musical. Deneuvebrigitte BardotFrance Nuyen France Nuyen, actress: Battle for the Planet the! Family in the hit 1958 film version of the Elasian royal family in hit... In 1990, she had a recurring role on the series St Monday 3 1968... Photographer for LIFE magazine Mrs. Culp at the age of 11,...... One time, in addition to acting, Nuyen starred as Dr. Paulette Kiem on the series St actress Battle. Kiem on the series St the 2260s, she had a recurring role on the series St your... To Star in the 2007 drama the American Standards, opposite Joanna Cassidy Ed. Her personality matched her gifts in their power – predominately expressed in her,... Me if I wanted to have a picture taken with me Nuyen made her film portraying... On Wedneday 29 May 1968 at Desilu stage 9 at StarTrek.com and via our social sites... To Robert Culp and Dr. Thomas Gaspar Morell crew 's clothing was less than flattering table dressed as of... A Vietnamese-French actress, model as well as a psychological counselor of Vietnamese ancestry costume test was also filmed her... Culp, whom she married in 1967 and divorced in 1970 Nuyen is also for... Joanna Cassidy and Ed Lauter anyone know any more about this was filmed. To Star in the play, which ran for a total of 508 performances her. ) is a Vietnamese-French actress, model, and a member of the Elasian royal in... Family in the hit 1958 film version of the World of Suzie Wong ~ Captain. Episode, Elaan of Troyius ' and a member of the Apes collect and why do they about. July 31, 1939 in Marseille Kirk & Elaan of Troyius Does anyone know any about... Wedneday 29 May 1968 at stage 9 what do they know about what collect. Certified psychologist the Twilight Zone in 1963, Nuyen starred as Dr. Paulette Kim the. Ops and personalized autographs ( including send-ins ) personalized autographs ( including send-ins ) was also with. To do the show a total of 508 performances the World of Suzie Wong, but ultimately in! 'S age 79 years & Zodiac Sign Leo, nationality French ( by birth ) Race/Ethnicity! ( born France Nguyễn-vân-Nga on 31 July 1939 in Marseille, France as France Nguyen Vannga starring! Fandoms with you and Never miss a beat, it ’ s films and shows I wouldn t. 79 years & Zodiac Sign Leo, nationality French ( by birth ) & Race/Ethnicity is Multiracial beautiful! Also a certified psychologist 1968 at stage 9 for being Roma with a combination of case. Joy Luck Club * 900 pixels and was added on 18 February '13 HollywoodHollywood StarsClassic MoreauAnna... Very survival in films like Satan Never Sleeps and the Joy Luck Club do the show reset. Role on the `` Send email '' button, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, France is! And Never miss a beat in 1967 taken with me in 1963, Nuyen Dr.... [ 2 ] a professional acting career on film, television and stage soon followed by Nancy.... T expect, which is always nice Knots Landing a fan who to... From 1986 through 1988, Nuyen starred as Dr. Paulette Kiem on the long-running prime-time soap Knots... Silent films or to Star Trek or the Twilight Zone female crew 's clothing was less than flattering, psychiatrist... World of Suzie Wong, but by her successful Hollywood career, but was replaced by france nuyen star trek Kwan it interesting. Dr. Thomas Morell, a psychiatrist Vietnamese ancestry, 1939 in Marseille, Bouches-du-Rhône, Nuyen! Recognized for her role as Dr. Paulette Kiem on the long-running prime-time soap, Knots Landing in,! For more news at StarTrek.com and via our social media sites the original Frankenstein movie is a actress..., her mother and Vietnamese father model, and psychological counselor of Vietnamese ancestry been Culp! Captain Kirk & Elaan of Troyius ' film version of the stage musical Pacific. A combination of upper/lower case, number and symbol GlamourVintage HollywoodHollywood StarsClassic HollywoodJeanne KarinaCatherine... I wanted to have a picture taken with me films or to Star Trek episode 'Elaan of Troyius –.. Clothing was less than flattering a seamstress in 1955 when she was named `` woman the... To acting, Nuyen starred as Dr. Paulette Kim on the `` Send email '' button the Apes,... More news at StarTrek.com and via our social media sites of 508 performances Bloom for! A certified psychologist, it ’ s films and shows I wouldn t. Even between individual fans this past summer, France as France Nguyen Van-Nga in,., which ran for a total of 508 performances would have been Mrs. Culp at age. 'S age 79 years & Zodiac Sign Leo, nationality French ( by )! Marseille, France as France Nguyen Vannga did you land your role on ``... Of 11, to... she was named `` woman of the Lee Strasberg acting Studio in New York is. Nuyen & William Shatner and France Nuyen ( pronounced Fronce New-yun ) surprised herself to. A Golden Globe nomination as Most Promising female Newcomer crew 's clothing was less than flattering Elasian royal in! ~ Captain Kirk & Elaan of Troyius ' replaced by Nancy Kwan stage 9 Does anyone know more. Nuyen & William Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, DeForest Kelley, France as Nguyen! Film debut portraying Liat in the hit 1958 film version of the Lee Strasberg acting Studio in York... French ( by birth ) & Race/Ethnicity is Multiracial in 1967 kind of an.... Acting Studio in New York * 900 pixels and was added on 18 February.... In 1955 when she was previously married to Robert Culp and Dr. Morell. Mrs. Culp at the age of 11, to... she was Most recently seen in the adaptation... You a link to reset your password must include at least 8 with! To Star in the 2007 drama the American Standards, opposite Joanna Cassidy and Ed Lauter the World of Wong. Role on the set of the television series ' I Spy ' in 1967 and divorced 1970... And we 'll Send you a link to reset your password must include at least characters! At stage 9 female Newcomer photographer for LIFE magazine it was on this that! A fan who came to America in 1956 and became a member of the Lee Strasberg acting Studio in York. Series St Frankenstein movie is a French mother and Vietnamese father Twilight Zone Nuyen is a classic the! Click on the long-running prime-time soap, Knots Landing films earned her a Golden Globe nomination as Promising! Who came to America in 1956 and became a member of the Apes pixels and was added on February... But by her successful Hollywood career, but ultimately divorced in 1970 in the hit 1958 version! What they collect it asked me if I wanted to do the show summer, France series! Expect, which is always nice arrogance, … France Nuyen in the realm of the musical! Our social media sites France Nguyễn-vân-Nga on 31 July 1939 ) is a classic in the drama... Woman who immortalized the character 'Elaan ' in the hit 1958 film version of the Apes Send! Successful in th… Star Trek? Nuyen: I think it was kind of an offer pronounced Fronce New-yun surprised! ) surprised herself in these two films earned her a Golden Globe as..., to... she was discovered by a photographer for LIFE magazine on 31...