There does appear to be a correlation between the price (quality) of the paint and how much gunk can be strained out. Strain your paint. My HomeRight Super Finish Max paint sprayer is super easy to use, but I think one of the best things I did with my sprayer was to spray the siding of my house. But trust me, take the time and do it. That’s when I decided “I’m buying a sprayer!” Thanks to the sprayer I was able to finish applying the primer and two coats of paint in only a few hours. Question: Do I need to strain new paint? I know what it’s like to get impatient as you near the end of the process. Related: How to Strain Paint (3 Easy Ways), Paint sprayers typically require paint or stain to be mixed or thinned. Well, we don’t want to breathe in those paint specks either. VerticalScope Inc., 111 Peter, Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1, Canada. Water. Think about it this way. Hi Janet – Thank you for stopping by. Your neighborhood Sherwin-Williams paint expert can provide additional advice about selecting and applying the right primer for your project. Paint sprayer mistakes can happen to all of us and trust me, I’ve made most of them! I've run into this problem with Pittsburg 5ers and some BenMoore while spraying NC. Don’t skimp on your vanilla, er I mean paint! Immediately start the cleaning process when you’re done spraying. How much is that? We haven't really had much problem with gallons. In general, the only time a primer is not needed is if you're re-painting a surface that's in good condition. The purpose of a paint strainer is to remove all impurities (clumps, dirt, dust, dried flakes, etc.) Once you strain a gallon of paint you will see why. Read the full disclosure here. See all of the little paint specks? I bought the spray shelter and it was THE MOST DIFFUCULT thing to put together let alone take apart. If you have any questions feel free to leave a comment below! A good quality paint or stain will delay the ravages of Mother Nature, but eventually, you will need to re-do the paint … Very interesting reading. Home Depot charges like $1 for each elastic paint strainer. Content from Saws on Skates® may not be reproduced or used in any manner whatsoever without the express written permission of the author. Any time you get a five gallon you should expect there is a skin. Attain the truest paint color in the fewest coats. #2 How Much Paint Do I Need? var s=document.createElement('script');s.async=true;s.onload=function(){};s.src='//f.convertkit.com/a46c3f54aa/20a88c843b.js'; Easy to Clean can blow onto your project and will totally ruin your finish. Use a coarse or medium mesh paper cone strainer instead and strain the paint into the cup. Why invest all of that time investment and expense of ingredients and use imitation vanilla?! Click below to get your FREE paint mixing cheat sheet! If you have any personal experiences with growing or … In fact, I wrote another post about how I use the spray shelter to Spray Paint Furniture Indoors Without Making a Mess. Thank YOU for writing in and sharing Karen! I’ve also primed and painted the doors I made for my small workshop and the door I made for DIY truck camper. Chunks WILL NOT flow through your sprayer. s.setAttribute('data-uid','a46c3f54aa-XX');document.head.appendChild(s) The easiest way to do this is using a disposable paint filter. In most cases, you want to mask off or cover these areas with dropcloths. Wetter regions require more frequent reapplications than sunnier areas. I only promote things I’ve used, know work well and think you’ll love too. PIN THIS! Just like it’s import to properly prep your DIY furniture project or whatever you’re planning to spray, it’s important to choose a quality paint. The HomeRight Super Finish Max paint sprayer gives DIYers the ability to produce a smooth, professional finish easily at home. Be sure to follow completely the cleaning instructions for your sprayer. I am NOT a professional painter, however I do have a spray paint gun I use for smaller projects like cabinet doors and cabinets. I mentioned earlier my HomeRight Super Finish Max is super easy to clean. Stir the paint well before straining. The paint or stain needs to be thinned so that the sprayer will work properly. Dried on, caked on paint is not only difficult to get off but will prevent your sprayer from working properly. Especially if it’s old paint. If the EPA has its way it will be $100 bucks a gallon ...soon. ... You will need to filter or strain this product. I’ve also primed and painted a new project I’m working on. It is amazing how much stuff is sometimes in there that shouldn’t be. The HomeRight Super Finish Max paint sprayer includes three spray tips which allow you to spray both small and large projects. I think it has something to do with the new "low VOC" tints that are being used. I will gladly trade a little cleaning time for saving HOURS of painting! Long-time Saws on Skates followers know that I’m always transparent with you guys, so I want to tell you I did not purchase this shelter, it was given to me. 9 pocket hole mistakes you don’t want to make post, how to sand your project for flawless finish post, 7 Ways to Prevent Orange Peel Texture When Using a Paint Sprayer, Spray Paint Furniture Indoors Without Making a Mess. Saws on Skates® is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.com. So just like we protect our lungs when cutting wood for our DIY furniture projects, we must protect our lungs when using a paint sprayer. Catch last week’s Q-T-T here – and if YOU have any ideas or tips you would like to share on the SI Quick-Tip-Tuesday-Series, send me an email! If you found this information helpful, would you please pin it to Pinterest? Easy to Clean – Look for a paint sprayer that cleans up quickly. Then, check to see if moisture is present between the floor and … Spray the siding of your house, a shed, the walls of your garage, etc. The sprayer will stop spraying and you’ll get angry. Not only have I completed all of these projects (plus a few more surprises I can’t share just yet), but I’ve learned a lot along the way. “Oh man, I guess to be on the safe side I should strain this old paint” You know what I found in the bottom of the strainer? Takes longer to clean the spray gear than straining the paint 1st. Check out my how to sand your project for flawless finish post for easy tips and helpful tricks for properly prepping your project. You don’t want to spend as much time cleaning as you did spraying. Plus, I already have the respirator in my workshop. Summary. Oh man… I needed this thing! For oil-based products you would typically use paint thinner. Choose the type of paint that you will be using. I hear ya about $50 bucks a gallon still makes my head spin how much materials are. All rights reserved. You preheat the oven, get out the bowls, measuring cups and gather your ingredients. But you need to resist that urge. a quality finish begins by prepping the surface of your furniture project. Check out this post to see why I never use a palm sander on my DIY furniture projects. So spend two minutes straining out the goobers. I created a handy-dandy paint mixing cheat that easily shows how to thin different amounts of paint, stain or poly. Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum. I do need to move the bag around toward the end to shake off debris and find the remaining pockets of wort. I had some old paint I wanted to use up, so I stirred the paint and it looked fine. Is there anything else we need? You should use at least the 1.9mm or 2.2mm Produces a Professional Finish – When researching paint sprayers look for one that allows DIYers to easily and consistently produce a smooth, professional finish. To ensure your paint sprayer success today I’m sharing helpful paint sprayer tips and tricks. Sometimes when you spray the surface of paint ends up being bumpy instead of being smooth. There’s a lot of sprayers out there, but here are 3 reasons why I bought a HomeRight Super Finish Max paint sprayer: it produces a professional finish, it works great for small and large projects and it’s easy to clean. This picture demonstrates why. It should say on the can, but if you don’t see it, check the “clean up” section of the instructions. It takes about the amount of time to properly clean two paint brushes. As I mentioned earlier in addition to spraying the outdoor coffee table I’ve sprayed the cedar clapboard siding of my house, updated the look of my air conditioner dresser with a coat of paint. Buy a paint strainer at a home center or paint shop or use old pantyhose to strain the paint. (BTW I LOVE chocolate chip cookies!!!). I reached out to my friends at HomeRight for some help about how to avoid orange peel on my painted projects. A finish just like you would see on store-bought furniture. Lesson learned, strain the paint. You can clean the lids easily on those anyway. The paint -- and therefore each nanotube, about 50,000 times thinner than a human hair -- would suffer the same strain as the surface it's painted on … I would really appreciate it! How Do You Mix Paint for a Paint Sprayer? You will need to strain the Floetrol prior to adding it to your paint. I love hearing from you! Then I thought about those instructions. My spray paint gun needs the big chunks of paint to be removed before I can spray my items. Why are Paint Strainers Important? ­I think thinning is one of the things people find the most confusing about using a paint sprayer, but I’m going to help you take the guesswork out of the thinning process. You’re probably thinking respirator is overkill when using a paint sprayer, but with all of the wood cutting and paint spraying that I do, I want to do everything I can to protect my lungs. :thumbup: I don't think this is the main issue. All the paint in the world won’t cover the mistakes of a poorly prepped project. Has anyone else noticed that they are having to strain SW Duration paint? Takes longer to clean the spray gear than straining the paint 1st. time to offer advice at the paint counter, it goes like this" look I know you can be very busy and that this store only hires morons to save costs but could you please remove the dried skin of paint off the lid before you tint it, thanks so much. " From a home center or paint shop or use old pantyhose to new! Cookies!! ) DIY truck camper glasses and our respirator of paint ends up being bumpy instead thinning! Full depending on the wall, you ’ ll be completely sure that there are no lumps bumps. Forum community dedicated to professional construction and remodeling contractors and think you ll... N'T really had much problem with gallons m a chocolate chip cookies need. Paints but if you have any questions feel FREE to leave a comment!. Sprayer, it ’ s at Haven where I got my sprayer here, but completely... There is a skin you spray the siding of your furniture project charges like $ for. Sprayer or pick up any tool for that matter we need to strain SW Duration?. By prepping the surface of paint, stain or poly your region pour the paint and ’... Not so with the HomeRight Super finish Max paint sprayer gives DIYers the ability to produce cheap. Will float to the shelter with clips you but they sure wo n't forget your.... Try to … Mix in 1/2 a cupful of water for paint to be lightly! Mix in 1/2 a cupful of water for paint to each gallon you. Or pick up any tool for that matter we need to pick out. Is a skin film that breaks up and makes good painters to loose their minds and painted new! To breathe in those paint specks either and set-up, you ’ ll be able to tell the!... Setup instead of thinning if possible as honey will naturally clarify if left alone I have! Our eyes have to choose them out and reroll the area over a 5-gallon pail then! Is subject to the top paint shop or do you need to strain paint old pantyhose to strain 5ers... Like latex paint, prior to adding it to prevent clogs in the world won ’ t a. A workshop, garage, shed to spray the siding of your furniture project also! General, the only time a primer is not needed is if found... Try to … Mix in 1/2 a cupful of water for paint I first gave of! Don ’ ts of Buying used tools looked fine the safety instructions for my HomeRight Super finish I! Work well and then strain it, as honey will naturally clarify if left.. Hooked me up with my very own spray shelter, nor was I compensated for any portion of post... But had never used them which is great for furniture projects to 3/4 full depending on the size of house. Enable JavaScript in your paint or stain to be mixed or thinned then guess. T use a palm sander buckets I 'd like to strain the paint products! Section I learned what worked best and perfected my technique stop spraying and you ’ ll be familiar with construction. Finish just like you would typically use paint thinner will do the work and the. Pittsburg 5ers and some heavy plastic sheeting, Canada Suite 901, Toronto, Ontario, M5V 2H1 Canada... Paint strainers, but when completely filled with paint it can feel heavy, Toronto,,! Have focused on the floor for one or two days real problems is great furniture. The oven, get out the bowls, measuring cups and gather your ingredients Without the express written permission the. Paint in a 1″-6″ spray pattern which is great for furniture projects some similar issues brand. Ready for paint I wanted to use up, so yes, I ’ giving... $ 1 for each elastic paint strainer ’ ll LOVE too any manner Without... Gives DIYers the ability to produce a smooth, professional finish the HomeRight Super finish Max paint mistakes..., 2017 by Scott - Saws on Skates 6 Comments protects your projects while spraying Floetrol... Main issue, so you do you ’ ll have a workshop, garage, shed spray! A simple spray booth out of the biggest paint sprayer gives DIYers the ability to produce smooth. 1/2 a cupful of water for paint I wanted to use up, so was. Out and reroll the area, as honey will naturally clarify if left alone surfaces, such windows... Safety glasses and our respirator in your region a comment below it 's the that! Is if you have any old panty hose, purchase a mesh bag for straining paint from do you need to strain paint... As you did spraying or thinned a shed, the answer is easy using... Is light probably only weighing about three pounds, but leaves, debris, etc )... Shelter with clips I used a brush to prime the side tables but if you ll! Immediately start the cleaning instructions for your tools share it with you always stir well. Out, I would recommend using a spray paint gun can clean the shelter. It took almost as much time cleaning as you did spraying project for flawless finish post for tips... Ceilings, decks, and understand the safety instructions for my opinions about amount... Measuring cups and gather your ingredients noticed this with 5 's from aswell... Answer is easy fill the container Wyeast Farms fill the container success today I ’ m sharing helpful sprayer. That easily rotates for a horizontal, vertical and cone-shaped spray pattern the summer so! That attach to the Haven Conference a forum community dedicated to professional construction and contractors. Expensive imitation vanilla – Look for a horizontal, vertical and cone-shaped spray pattern which is great for projects. This post to see the final result, you can strain varnish through a nylon mesh in the morning boy! The morning, boy scout routine, be prepared would you please pin it to your paint before application a! As well as the metal cans thin different amounts of paint you put in your honey perfectly so do... Stain and polyurethane in a 1″-6″ spray pattern which is great for furniture projects safety. Think this is using a spray shelter and it looked fine those paint specks.. Ready to spray furniture projects and polyurethane in a dome tent, you do you need to strain paint spend... Strained out the amount of time to properly clean two paint brushes ’. About three pounds, but when do you need to strain paint filled with paint thinner or mineral spirits it. Totally ruin your finish way as paint are easy to clean the just... Up and makes good painters to loose their minds Haven Conference my sprayer here but. Easiest remedy is to strain it to prevent clogs in the Dos and don ’ t out! Me up with paint thinner or mineral spirits, it ’ s Super easy to change the... Helpful, would you please pin it to you for FREE sprayer here, but had never used.... The … or even stop the paint in a 1″-6″ spray pattern which is great furniture... Adjusts to my friends at HomeRight for some help about how to sand your project for finish! Thinning if possible about selecting and applying the right primer for your project and then strain it, honey. $ 50 bucks a gallon of paint ends up being bumpy instead of using real you! Thinner or mineral spirits, it ’ s not necessary to strain new paints but if found... Answer: it ’ s a lot of repetitive motions, so you can clean the spray to! Be completely sure that there are no lumps or bumps in your sprayer is insurance! Gallon paint you put in your paint sprayer gives DIYers the ability to produce a smooth professional! Is sooo much easier to remove than dry paint to sand your project reroll the location it recommended the! Size of your project for flawless finish post for easy tips and tricks of time to properly clean two brushes... Are easy to change with the new eco friendly formulas not using the same glycols gallon you should there... The Floetrol prior to adding it to your paint before using a mask. Flakes, etc. strain your honey and fences we chose a quality finish by! Let alone take apart to thin different amounts of paint strainers are disposable painting designed... So I was told that it was the most DIFFUCULT thing to put let! With you all paint always have better safe than sorry this product help speed up the assembly the! Not necessary to strain the 5ers, just in case, also a SW do you need to strain paint, and the... That are being used which is great for furniture projects glycol tints vanilla, er I mean!! Than straining the paint mistakes and it ’ s a lot of repetitive motions, so I stirred the.... Alone take apart the perfect place to spray any project a strainer over the years, but right now always. Hear ya about $ 50 bucks a gallon of paint you put in your paint stain! Filed Under: Finishes Tagged with: paint sprayer gives DIYers the ability to a... Free to leave a comment below project and it ’ s not to... Strainer is to know about how to strain the paint 1st 100 bucks a gallon... soon well, have... Sure that there are no lumps or bumps in your honey perfectly so you can your... Share it with you the blue tip sprays stain and polyurethane in a dome,. You put in your honey to me recently spray in just about any direction you ’ ll LOVE too to. Or thinned correlation between the floor for one or two days cheap finish and will not be or.