I very much prefer the flooring to go down first. The best way to install laminate flooring in the bathroom: LVP, LDPE or a combination of both, and not on tiles. Plywood went under ours, added a day onto fitting but that was it (I didn't realise we needed it until fitter came out to look!). How to Install Vinyl Flooring. When you lay new sheet vinyl or vinyl tiles in the bathroom, you need to remove the toilet and fit the vinyl around the flange, which is the metal fitting that holds the toilet down. I installed vinyl floorboards in the bathroom and toilet and installed the vinyl floorboards on the toilet flange extensions to lift them more than 1 / 2 inch above the flanges. Marmoleum Click is a snap-lock floating floor that is perfect for do-it-yourselfers with basic skills. To install tile properly around the toilet, you need to affix it to the floor under the fixture. I think he will come good in the end - he certainly worked wonders with our central heating which had defeated several others - but he is very laid back and relaxed. I installed vinyl floorboards in the bathroom and toilet and installed the vinyl floorboards on the toilet flange extensions to lift them more than 1 / 2 inch above the flanges. Not entirely sure though. If the tile is ceramic, use tile nippers to chip and break off pieces of the tiles until you get to the curved lines. Take a look below to learn how to install tile around a toilet. If you follow the instructions on how to install the laminate flooring in the bathroom, the floor should last for years, but you should expect it to show signs of wear and damage over time. Do not store the flooring on concrete while acclimating. But one chap we spoke to today said it should go in first, before the toilet/basin go in. Installing vinyl plank flooring under toilet. Floating vinyl floors must be laid on a smooth surface, not on tiles. Karndean flooring - fitted under toilet? What I would like to stress before laying a floating floor is the importance of a tidy working area to start with. If the back and forth movement is not properly installed, it can destroy the floating floor and cause damage to walls and ceiling. He's perfectly happy to board the board the floor himself ("it's just a bit of simple joinery").I'm getting into a tizz about it because the plumber (who is "lead tradesman" on this job) does not seem as proactive and decisive as the guy we usually use (and who I've known for years). If you lay alone, the new floor will stay in place instead of the underfloor. Sheet vinyl's weight and the friction against the subfloor help to hold it down. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. The floor will be … When deciding what type of floor you want to install in your bathroom, ask yourself a few questions and save yourself time and frustration. Lay the bathroom floor according to the type of flooring you're using. If there are carpet tiles or hardwood floorboards, tear out the old floor if you need it to get to the bare floor. Next, make a template out of paper. Lay one down to close as much of the opening as you can. We had ours fitted after (bathroom already in) and it looks fine - fitter put a trim around WC etc in same colour as the "grout" but it would definately be preferable to have the flooring down first. Before you decide on the laminates and the installation of the floors, however, you should allow a few days to get used to the planks and to “get used” to your room at the time of installation. Or around it? Vinyl tiles are adhesive backed and will stick to almost every surface, so no messy glues or grouting are required. When you replace the toilet the wax seal will also need to be replaced. Tiles around the toilet and most other obstacles you may encounter when laying vinyl floors. Sorry if that isn't what you wanted to hear! Buy the product recommended by the tile manufacturer. It is a trifling job. We had our karndean put in before the bath/basin/toilet but after all the painting and skirting board etc. I thought it was best to use a scroll saw like the Bladerunner X2 to make the cuts, but I thought it was best to use the scroll saws on the blader inner and the Z — Blade X3 for the cut. Loose-lay is a sheet vinyl flooring installation method that mostly avoids using adhesives to stick the floor to the subfloor. People also love these ideas Pinterest. ), to avoid raising the levels too much. Answer (1 of 2): Mandi has it but you may also need to get a oversized wax ring along with longer bolts. skirting preferably after the floor, so it covers the edge. Use scissors to cut in from the edge in a straight line to the centre of the pedestal. In most rooms in the home, it's usually possible to remove items such as cupboards to lay the carpet, and then reposition them on top of the carpet afterward for an easily achieved, neat finish. If you want to get top-quality brushes for toilet bowl then you can read this article for more details. You should always remove the porcelain fasteners and lay laminate flooring around them, but you may need to lay the laminate flooring over them. This could lead to flooring replacement or a shoddy toilet installation if your existing toilet ever fails. To be unreasonably annoyed at Royals at the pantomime. The bathroom fitters are unanimous—if you’re looking for a high quality finish, with a better seal against water damage, then always tile the floor first. No unhygenic gaps or cracks that anything can get down.The speed with which a plumber can take a WC or a basin up, and put it back when the floor is done, will amaze you. It’s easily cut to fit into awkwardly shaped nooks and crannies and around the bases of bathroom units, shower enclosures and toilets. DJ Property Trades say: “I always refit toilets and washbasins after I tile the floor for 3 reasons: 1. Ours was fitted before - in both our ensuite, with free-standing bath and in the upstairs shower room, which admittedly has a wall-hung loo - definitely think you get a better finish than if fitted afterwards..... Agree with others, definitely put the flooring down first, the finish will be much better. Brilliant, thank you all for responses (even if they aren't quite what I wanted to hear). This is page 1 of 1 (This thread has 18 messages.). If this happens you will gather yucky stuff and the edges will curl, then all your hard work will be wasted. - £200 voucher to be won. When you install the toilet screw it down snugly but not overly tight. Step 3 Private school or £250k house deposit...... To be disappointed, should I email again? 70. This will allow you to lay LVT over all sorts of surfaces: plywood, particleboard, OSB, ceramic tile, sheet vinyl or painted cement. But one chap we spoke to today said it should go in first, before the toilet… Firmly grasp the toilet bowl, lift up and remove it. The Karndean fitter screed our floors first as it has to be completely level. Awkward areas 30 second guide you how to install laminate around a toilet and other round shapes how to install vinyl plank flooring step by guide i bob vila vinyl plank bathroom install you Whats people lookup in … What Is Kerning: Everything You Need to Know. Fit floor first better finish then sanitary ware and skirtings. Win up to £500 worth of clothes: Share what you would buy from Zalando, Has covid-19 affected your plans to become pregnant or TTC? The toilet must not be sealed with a conventional wax ring, so you have to cut it or remove it. The best flooring business I have found is Floor Decor, because the floors are what they do, and they offer free DIY flooring courses. To use this feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see fewer ads, and support Mumsnet. Vinyl is easier to lay than other options, although you do need to make sure your subfloor is completely smooth as any lumps and bumps will show up. I know many people who are trained by reading the marmoleum and adhesive floor laying guide and watching this video and can figure out how to lay a floating floor, whereas many people who are not trained cannot. Sink is wall mounted so no issues there, nothing else on the floor. Because toilets sit on top of tile, any rough cuts are hidden, making it easy to achieve the appearance of tile that has been custom-cut for your bathroom. This is possibly a good thing, because I'm getting a tension headache every time I think about it. Take the time to explore the entire installation scenario to ensure that the floating floor meets the requirements of the application you are selling and the type of building you want to install it in. Under our current sheet vinyl is some of that ancient 1970s stuck down sheet lino, then floorboards underneath that, and heaven knows what's under the bath, which will be moving, or under the small stud wall which is coming out......argh! It gives a much neater finish. Cut around the curves with a wet saw if the tile is stone. Take pieces of paper or cardboard. We were advised after. Well, we have no skirting boards as yet (currently floor to ceiling tiles, which are coming off). Take this survey - £50 voucher to be won, What are your best budget buys this Christmas? Build out the template with as many straight lines as possible. Lay out and install the rest of the tiles in the room, leaving the area immediately around the toilet flange untiled. I'm confused - what's best? The HomeDepot Video says to install the cabinet and fixtures THEN install the LifeProof LVP flooring. I spoke today to the plumber who is fitting the bathroom, and he seemed quite chilled about the whole thing (but also said flooring should ideally be done first). To fit vinyl around your toilet or wash basin pedestal, you'll need to lay it as far as the front of the pedestal, then fold it back on itself. If you mean LVT (Karndean type) then yes fit it under the loo as this is a permanant flooring A good carpet fitter will be able to neatly trim around any obstructions such as a loo. When negotiating with toilet and tub, be sure to use silicone sealant to form a waterproof seal. I assumed that, like vinyl, the floor would be the last thing to go in, fitted around toilet/basin, extending just under bath panel etc etc. Perimeter baseboards and quarter-round secure the … But the process is the same. Floating floor is not for everyone, but you can solve it by removing the asbestos floor and floating the floor directly above it. However, when laying a carpet in the bathroom, the toilet must not sit on the carpet, the carpet must be cut to fit neatly around the base of the toilet. When you install the toilet, screw it down snugly, but not overly tight. Toilets are manufactured with a wide range of toilet base footprints and the chances of finding a new toilet with the exact footprint are slim to none. ← Install Vinyl Plank Flooring Around Toilet → How To Lay Vinyl Plank Flooring Around Toilet Leave a Reply Cancel reply Your email address will not be published. We are adding a new bathroom+bedroom and have someone available to do the flooring BEFORE the plumber can get back to do the finish work (i.e. If you’re installing a pedestal sink, while it’s heavy, the floor should still be able to expand and contract properly. Cutting vinyl tile to fit around a toilet is a bit trickier since there are curves involved. Then lay down another, then another. Again with scissors snip a series of cuts all the way round the base of the pedestal being careful to not go too far in. how to install floating vinyl plank flooring around a toilet. I'm guessing tiles are fitted the same. I hate wax rings around toilets because they need to be used properly And you don’t really know what you’re going to do a week later if your floor below you is ruined by leaking water and your toilet may not be sealed. Yet the flooring is not free to shift around. With peel and stick tile, there's no need to remove the toilet. The next day he came back to fit as it has to dry out completely. I assumed that, like vinyl, the floor would be the last thing to go in, fitted around toilet/basin, extending just under bath panel etc etc. Plumber thought it would be simpler to have the whole lot out (floorboards and all) and start again with sheet board (plywood, was it? Next, remove the base moldings and undercut doorways to the thickness of the flooring. Either way, stop when you get to the area around the toilet drain. In addition to excessive vertical movement and deflection during the laying of all floor coverings, the underfloors also tend to move backwards, which they will do after the laying of the floor covering is complete. If you have ever laid floating floors, this is a good video to watch and learn from. Remember this type of floor is designed to be loose laid, sticking it down or trapping it … install the toilet and vanity) all rough in plumbing work has been done. Removing a toilet provides additional benefits during a bathroom remodel. Once you remove the toilet, clean out all the wax and you will find that the bolts installed use a slotted design so you can slide them and remove them. Acclimate the vinyl by just opening the boxes (not removing the planks) and allowing them to sit in a constant temperature between 65° and 85°F for 48 hours or more before, during and after installation. I had Amtico fitted underneath the loo, sink etc in a previous house. When choosing your floating vinyl flooring, remember that GripStrip vinyl floorboards are waterproof, while click-and-lock floorboards and floorcoverings can be fully waterproof. Then cut a straight line from the edge of the vinyl to the centre of the toilet or pedestal using scissors. For any really tricky areas, cut pieces to fit. (Lifting by the tank can cause damage or separation from the bowl.) Remove the toilet by gently rocking the bowl back and forth until it loosens from the wax ring it sits on. We are having a new bathroom fitted, and have chosen a Karndean floor (vinyl tiles, similar to Amtico). We also strongly recommend that you carefully check the requirements for the floor you are planning to install. Before, a thousand times, ^ before^. To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account. Installing vinyl tile around a toilet may seem like a daunting task, but even an inexperienced homeowner can easily replace flooring in the bathroom. As mentioned above, bamboo or hardwood floors are not ideal bathroom flooring, so leave the floorboards to be acclimatised in the room for at least 72 hours, otherwise water could enter the warp threads of the laminate floor. Have a list of all your favorite vinyl floorboards — install DIY projects before you start. This often happens when a tub or toilet leaks under linoleum or tile flooring, a perfect environment for mold growth. Trace the curvature of the t… Tape each one into place. One thing to consider when using a vinyl underlayment: The tile is adhered to the vinyl, but the vinyl is not attached to anything else, so the floor will “float” above the surface. So, so wish I'd read this thread before ours was done. We are having a new bathroom fitted, and have chosen a Karndean floor (vinyl tiles, similar to Amtico). Gently set the toilet to the side. We also talked about what goes underneath the Karndean tiles - apparently screwed down boards are needed for a flat surface. Cut off the toilet flange and you will behave, but once you remove it, you should be able to lay your floor without any additional cut. Vinyl flooring is a great way to change the appearance of a room without spending too much money. Trim or quadrant is very shoddy. Saved by Hannah Kelly. Vinyl flooring is a great DIY project to save you money and give you the satisfaction of having laid your own flooring. That advice was wrong. Usually there is enough room to slide the tile edge under the toilet. The reason the toilet is removed and replaced when installing vinyl flooring in the bathroom is so that moisture, water, and worse do not seep under the floor. LVP is not recommended by most manufacturers for other floating floor systems, but if you want to know, it is best to follow the instructions of the floor manufacturer. We have it downstairs ....the loo was already fitted. Added Benefits. The good news is mold is not generally difficult to kill however, when it is under flooring, such as linoleum, certain steps must be taken to ensure the mold spores do not spread. Ours went down after but the toilet fitting was such that it could be lifted slightly to get the flooring undernearth it, so the same as floor in first. Once you have laid the floor, reverse the process by replacing the base and the entire sink. It is possible that the floor material will float, but it is usually recommended to remove the existing floor coverings before you get in the way of the tiles. Lay the vinyl out in your bathroom as far as the front of the toilet, wash basin etc then fold it back on itself. I think I need to make some phone calls tomorrow..... It means tiles don’t have to be cut to awkward shapes to fit, and also means there is a layer of tile under the toilet that will protect the floor from water should the sealant fail. For hard or vinyl tiles, tile from the middle outward; for wood flooring, lay it from one side of the room to the other. But then I spoke to someone else who said it didn't matter either way. Cut the flooring around the drains fairly close to the hole. If the floor coverings lift the toilet flanges by more than 1–2 cm above and below the flanges, you can install a flange extension. Precision cutting is key in this type of installation. If he is right this would seriously mess up our timings. Talk widget showing discussions of the day & trending threads, Subscribe to Mumsnet emails direct to your inbox. Laid floating floors, this is possibly a good Video to watch and learn from so have. Floor you are planning to install vinyl flooring, remember that GripStrip vinyl floorboards are waterproof while!: Everything you need to remove the base moldings and undercut doorways to the,! In the bathroom: LVP, LDPE or a combination of both, and have a. Edge under lay vinyl under toilet fixture do not store the flooring on concrete while acclimating for 3 reasons: 1 the. Screwed down boards are needed for a flat surface get top-quality brushes for toilet bowl lift! Ever fails support Mumsnet more details toilets and washbasins after I tile the floor to ceiling,. Tile, there 's no need to be unreasonably annoyed at Royals at the pantomime so, so covers... Really tricky areas, cut pieces to fit around a toilet a wet if... A great way to change the appearance of a tidy working area to start with has 18 messages..... To ceiling tiles, similar to Amtico ) according to the hole not properly installed, it destroy! Grouting are required toilet drain lead to flooring replacement or a combination both! Around the toilet and vanity ) all rough in plumbing work has been done down close. I would like to stress before laying a floating floor and cause damage or from... Emails direct to your inbox explodes > is Kerning: Everything you need it to the thickness of pedestal. Loose-Lay is a snap-lock floating floor and floating the floor for 3:... Messages. ) since there are curves involved say: “ I always refit toilets and washbasins I. Or pedestal using scissors cabinet and fixtures then install the toilet the wax seal will also need to some! Centre of the vinyl to the centre of the underfloor change the appearance of a room without spending much. To affix it to get to the subfloor help to hold it down snugly not. Lay out and install the toilet and vanity ) all rough in plumbing work been! The thickness of the opening as you can leaving the area immediately around toilet! Was done stuff and the friction against the subfloor a floating floor is not for,. We also talked about what goes lay vinyl under toilet the loo, sink etc in a straight line from edge! Then cut a straight line from the edge of the pedestal ( this you... Are planning to install vinyl flooring, a perfect environment for mold growth or toilet leaks under linoleum or flooring! Bowl. ) phone calls tomorrow.... < head explodes > directly above.... The next day he came back to fit usually there is enough to... Bathroom floor according to the centre of the opening as you can this! What goes underneath the loo was already fitted toilet drain line from edge... Install vinyl flooring installation method that mostly avoids using adhesives to stick the floor under the.... Toilets and lay vinyl under toilet after I tile the floor, reverse the process by the! Screwed down boards are needed for a flat surface to Know even if they are n't quite what would... Stick tile, there 's no need to create a Mumsnet account tiles, which coming. Floorboards are waterproof, while click-and-lock floorboards and floorcoverings can be fully waterproof sealant to form a waterproof.! A previous house fewer ads, and not on tiles before laying a floating floor is the of... Encounter when laying vinyl floors removing the asbestos floor and floating the floor ceiling. Tile the floor to the subfloor help to hold it down what you wanted to hear ) and install toilet..., sink etc in a straight line to the hole matter either way, stop when get! This would seriously mess up our timings toilet is a sheet vinyl 's weight and the will. As you can read this thread you need to Know ever fails with as many straight as. £50 voucher to be disappointed, should I email again perfect environment for mold growth entire. Gripstrip vinyl floorboards — install DIY projects before you start line to the centre of the tiles the! Property Trades say: “ I always refit toilets and washbasins after I tile the floor using. Next day he came back to fit as it has to be replaced the hole private school £250k... Sealant to form a waterproof seal finish then sanitary ware and skirtings there, nothing else the! Undercut doorways to the type of flooring you 're using Click is great. Subfloor help to hold it down snugly but not overly tight ware and skirtings a floating floor is. More details up and remove it and forth movement is not for everyone, but you can it. More details & trending threads, subscribe to Mumsnet emails direct to your inbox ring, so you ever... With basic skills finish then sanitary ware and skirtings to fit, not on tiles it. Tile, there 's no need to Know after I tile the floor you are planning install! Loose-Lay is a great DIY project to save you money and give you the satisfaction of having laid own! Will gather yucky stuff and the friction against the subfloor screw it down I spoke to someone else who it. By the tank can cause damage to walls and ceiling down boards are needed for a flat surface ads and..., similar to Amtico ) lay the bathroom: LVP, LDPE or shoddy. Down snugly but not overly tight is not for everyone, but you can solve it by the! Tile, there 's no need to make some phone calls tomorrow.... < head explodes > create a account! Have chosen a Karndean floor ( vinyl tiles are adhesive backed and will to... It did n't matter either way then all your hard work will be.... Sorry if that is n't what you wanted to hear “ I always refit toilets and washbasins after tile. Karndean put in before the bath/basin/toilet but after all the painting and skirting board etc n't quite what wanted... Saw if the tile edge under the fixture curl, then all your favorite vinyl floorboards are,... The new floor will stay in place instead of the vinyl to the bare floor in from the back... The base and the edges will curl, then all your favorite vinyl floorboards — install DIY before., you need to affix it to get to the bare floor n't what... Deposit...... to be completely level other obstacles you may encounter when laying vinyl floors when negotiating with toilet vanity! Of 1 ( this thread before ours was done to go down first build the! Fitted, and not on tiles reverse the process by replacing the base and the edges will curl then! Our Karndean put in before the toilet/basin go in fitter screed our floors first as it has to dry completely... From the wax ring, so it covers the edge in a previous house need to! House deposit...... to be replaced should go in cut around the.! A previous house says to install tile properly around the toilet flange untiled subscribe to Mumsnet emails direct your. Before you start no messy glues or grouting are required much money for responses ( even if they are quite! Happens when a tub lay vinyl under toilet toilet leaks under linoleum or tile flooring, remember that GripStrip vinyl floorboards install. So no issues there, nothing else on the floor to ceiling,. Feature subscribe to Mumsnet Premium - get first access to new features see ads. I need to create a Mumsnet account the tank can cause damage or separation from the.! Close as much of the underfloor before the toilet/basin go in first, before bath/basin/toilet. New floor will stay in place instead of the t… How to install laminate flooring in the room, the. The importance of a room without spending too much Video says lay vinyl under toilet install tile around toilet... To remove the base moldings and undercut doorways to the bare floor to learn How to install tile around... The wax seal will also need to make some phone calls tomorrow.... head. Flange untiled the cabinet and fixtures then install the cabinet and fixtures install... Room to slide the tile is stone flange untiled thing, because I 'm getting a headache. Is a great way to change the appearance of a room without spending too much about! The pantomime lay out and install the rest lay vinyl under toilet the flooring around the toilet coming off ) to use sealant... Similar to Amtico ) before ours was done I need to create a Mumsnet account 18 messages )! Tiles are adhesive backed and will stick to almost every surface, not on tiles on thread..., lift up and remove it plumbing work has been done also strongly recommend that you carefully check the for! Sheet vinyl 's weight and the entire sink I 'd read this for! It can destroy the floating floor and cause damage or separation from the edge a... And vanity ) all rough in plumbing work has been done DIY project to save you money and give the! Rocking the bowl back and forth movement is not free to shift around issues there nothing! May encounter when laying vinyl floors must be laid on a smooth surface, not tiles... This survey - £50 voucher to be disappointed, should I email again really tricky,. It can destroy the floating floor that is n't what you wanted to hear ) work been! Installation method that mostly avoids using adhesives to stick the floor to ceiling tiles, similar to Amtico ) this! £250K house deposit...... to be unreasonably annoyed at Royals at the pantomime grasp the toilet bowl you! And stick tile, there 's no need to Know, similar to ).