Many (if not most) PhD programs in the US do not have interviews as part of their admissions processes. I am excited about furthering my knowledge in this field and hope to make a valuable academic contribution.”, Related: How to Write a Resume for a Ph.D. First, do your homework. All rights reserved. Because this is such an important part of the interview process, this section offers some special suggestions and tips. I am passionate about my research in global economics, and I think it is a very relevant topic in our world today. When answering this question, emphasize that you want to obtain your Ph.D. as part of a plan for your future. They may also want to know why you have chosen their institution instead of a similar program at another university. ~30-45 minute interviews … As this Ph.D. program concerns the access and availability of alternative water resources, it strongly aligns with my previous research and my field of interest. The graduate school “interview season” runs from mid-January to the beginning of March. The purpose of this visit is primarily for the school to make a good … In this article, we provide five sample Ph.D. interview questions and answers, followed by a few general interview tips to assist you when preparing for a Ph.D. interview. I dug up some old notes from when I was still in the application and interview … These are all questions that are typically asked in doctoral program interviews. Although it is important to make a good impression by being assertive, professional and confident, you should also try to be yourself. … Not all graduate programs require an interview, but – increasingly – this is becoming more common. Example: “Since I wish a junior in high school, I have dreamed of joining this English department, since it’s one of the best in the country. Before your interview, research the program … Many programs have also started to incorporate fun events and outings into their interview weekend schedules, intended to give you a taste of the range of activities outside of the university in that particular city. After earning my degree, I spent a gap year traveling through Africa in which I learned more about the water problems in many countries. Tell us about yourself… This popular opener can feel like an awkwardly open ‘question’. Be confident when describing how you think your project could affect your industry, research field or the world positively. "The people who are doing the interviews want to see people who display all the qualities you'd want to see in a clinician: sensitivity, respect and social skills," says James Johnson, PhD, director of the University of Florida's clinical psychology doctoral program. These weekends give prospective students a unique opportunity to visit a school, meet the students and faculty, see the surrounding area, and start to think about what it might be like to attend a particular graduate program. These weekends give prospective students a unique opportunity to visit a school, meet the students and faculty, see the surrounding area, and start to think about what it might be like to attend a particular graduate program. If you’re applying to a graduate program, particularly (though not exclusively) to a doctoral program, you may face an interview… For the most part, admissions committees meet on a predetermined date after the submission deadline to start combing through the stacks of applications, usually during the month of December, or early January. This post is part of an ongoing series about applicant interview weekends in Psychology departments. What To Do After Your Graduate School Interview. With the literally thousands of different graduate programs in any number of different specialties and less than three months to fit in interview dates, it would be ridiculous to expect anything else. However, these schools are few-and-far-between. The graduate school “interview season” runs from mid-January to the beginning of March. One key element that could separate your grad school interview from the pack: preparation. For my master’s research, I started focusing on bringing environmental education programs to third-world countries. Institutions tend to select students who know how their Ph.D. work can make a positive impact. Application: Steps, Tips, Template and Examples, Ph.D. Jobs: Top Non-Academic Careers for Ph.D. Answering this PhD interview question needs you to first remind yourself if the program is an advertised Ph.D. project or you are proposing a project that you researched by your own within the departments Ph.D. program. ", Interview Question: "What is your Teaching Philosophy? Ask questions about opportunities for grants and summer funding, how often you’ll meet with your advisor, what the resources for the program are and whether you will be able to publish your dissertation. What to Expect When You’re Expecting Graduate School Interviews, Grad School Interviews: It's All About 'Fit', Lessons Learned from Graduate School: Learn From Everyone's Mistakes, Frequently Asked Questions: Answers from the Assistant Dean for Admissions, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Training at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine. Treat yourself to your favorite lunch after your graduate school interview. Example: “I am passionate about increasing environmental awareness. The prospect of interviewing alongside your competition in a graduate … Pressure builds before these types of interviews and you should take the rest of the day to exhale and enjoy the peace that comes after the anxiety of the interview … However, I don’t think this reality ever occurred to me when I eagerly submitted applications to 18 different programs, and I was later forced to make some tough choices. Interviewing for doctoral programs … Although each graduate program has its own unique interview weekend for recruitment, I will briefly summarize the structure of the weekend, which takes place over 2-3 days. My Ph.D. research will be an extension of my master’s degree, as I want to develop free environmental education software for schools in underfunded areas.”, Related: How to Introduce Yourself in an Interview. If you’re in the process of applying to graduate school, by now you’ve either submitted your applications or are gearing up to do so. Discuss any specific examples that inspired you to pursue your Ph.D. The DO/PhD Program is designed to train physician-scientists who will contribute to the fund of knowledge by conducting original, high quality scientific research with the perspective of a clinical practitioner. You are sitting in a chair surrounded by three people. The process that came after submitting the application felt mysterious and unclear. I also feel comfortable and energized in an academic environment. Be careful to fully weigh your options before making a commitment — once the schools have purchased your airfare or travel accommodations they may hold you responsible for reimbursing them if you back out to attend a different interview weekend. Academics will have to give up a great deal of time to supervise you, most … These are all highly prized research skills. You think you've found the perfect Master's Degree or Doctoral Program, but, now you need to nail the interview! One of them is a bit … Nonetheless, if they want to get the PhD title they will have to do good at the interview. Related: 21 Job Interview Tips: How to Make a Great Impression. Alternatively, if you’re already going to be in a certain area for an interview, sometimes you can arrange to travel to a nearby school to visit and interview in person, outside of their formal interview weekend. The DOs and DON’Ts of a PhD interview: How to prevent your tongue from saying inexplicably stupid things! You may also want to describe your extracurricular activities, such as volunteer work or exchange programs. I especially appreciate the work of Professor Meyer and know that he is one of the top academics in transnational crime fiction. Example: “When I was earning my master’s degree, I tutored first-year students and quickly realized that I enjoy sharing my knowledge with others. ", Great Answers to 5 Common Ph.D. Interview Questions, How to Write a Resume for a Ph.D. Bookmark this page (or download it as a PDF) to make sure you ask the right questions that will help you decide if the program is right for you. I distinctly remember that when I submitted my applications, the principal emotion I experienced was impatience. Know your answers before you go into the interview, but do not answer too quickly. Asking questions shows interest in the program. Last updated on June 13th, 2018 by our Product Team. If you are not restricted by distance, and can attend a face to face interview, I would certainly advise you to do … December 4, 2020 Many graduate schools require an interview as part of the application process. Perhaps most important, your “interviews” for clinical psychology Ph.D. programs will include reciprocal discussions regarding mutual research interests. There are normally only a few positions available for Ph.D. programs, and many have limited research funding. After clicking the “submit” button, you may feel a wave of emotions - exhilaration, dread, anxiety, or relief. As interviewers are likely to ask about your work, you may also wish to review your research proposal and your master’s thesis. When answering this question, you should assure the interviewer you are committed to all aspects of the Ph.D. process. Interview formats vary considerably. In many Ph.D. interviews, the panel will allow you to ask questions toward the end of the meeting. An interview can be done face to face as well as via the internet. Applying for graduate school can be quite a meticulous process, and you might find that participating in an interview is a part of it. Create a list of questions you have about the school or the doctorate program. Get tips on what to wear to a job interview for women and men, including professional tops, shoes and accessories, how to research company dress codes and more. Graduate school interviews allow university staff to evaluate your potential to succeed in their … If you’ve read my previous post on applying to graduate school, you might remember that some admissions committees extend offers on a rolling basis. What to Wear: The Best Job Interview Attire, Interview Question: "What are You Passionate About? In addition, spend some time researching the institution, department and advisors so you can answer questions about why you chose the program. After I have completed my Ph.D. in Clinical Psychology, I want to earn my license and open my own practice. A Day in the Life  |. A PhD is all about 3 years of in-depth independent research, so you’ll need to show in your answers that you’re dedicated enough to complete 3 years of study both independently and with the support of your supervisors and other students. The program … Check back for posts about interviews in other areas of Psychology, and visit our Careers in Psychology section. It is important to supply clear, specific reasons for applying for the Ph.D. program. In this article, we provide five sample Ph.D. interview questions and answers, followed by a few general interview tips to assist you when preparing for a Ph.D. interview. Interviewers usually seek candidates who have strong motivations for applying to a specific program. How should you answer the interview question “What is your teaching philosophy?” Here are several tips and examples to help you prepare. If you’re invited to a PhD interview, take full advantage of the opportunity you’ve been given by preparing effectively – review your research on the department, prepare to talk about your PhD … Interview weekend breakdown 1. A lot of people find it one of the toughest steps in getting a PhD degree. Others only have one interview date, but will gladly set up a Skype interview if you cannot attend. Most Ph.D. programs take between three to five years to complete and involve complex and challenging work. PhD interview questions can be very tricky to answer and this is for a good reason.. Some programs request applicants to meet for half of an hour to an hour with a faculty member, and other interviews will be full weekend events with students, faculty and other applicants. It … An interviewer will want to know whether you have the motivation to complete your degree. I would like to use my research to make a difference in the lives of many groups in Africa.”. Prestigious graduate schools want to make sure they’re bringing on individuals who are passionate about their specific program, as they want as many students starting the program to finish it. Interviews are used to determine: #1 Is this person truly committed to a career in research? What can you do for us? Interview weekends are the best part of the graduate school admissions process, and are genuinely a lot of fun. Studying for a PhD is an amazing academic achievement, as well as serious time commitment, and it's certianly not one for the faint hearted. Employers might ask what you’re passionate about during an interview to understand what motivates you. Some institutions require interviews with potential candidates to gauge an applicant’s fit and whether they exhibit enough commitment, enthusiasm and discipline to complete a Ph.D. program. Example: “I completed a Master’s Degree in Environmental Science, specifically focusing on the effects of global warming on water resources in Africa. During our interview, he said it loud and clear, “I would like to be a software architect for autonomous vehicles, and a PhD … This makes it quite difficult to describe a ‘standard PhD interview’. Don't schedule interview … Going for a campus visit or preparing for an admissions interview with a graduate program? Nearly all graduate programs give you until April 15th to make your decision, and will not keep you hanging on a wait-list past April 15th. Ph.D. interviews vary in format. These candidates tend to be more invested in their research, increasing the likelihood that they’ll finish the program. Grad School Interview Questions. The information on this site is provided as a courtesy. Explain if there are any specific courses that interest you or if there’s a professor you’d like to learn from. A Ph.D. program is not a simple continuation of your previous studies. You’re going to be meeting a lot of people — current graduate students, professors, and other interviewees — and you never know who will end up being a long-term friend, future roommate, or even your thesis advisor. Once you've decided to embark on this academic path, your PhD … I would be honored to have him as my Ph.D. advisor.”, Related: Ph.D. Jobs: Top Non-Academic Careers for Ph.D. Strive to be as honest as possible when answering questions while also remaining positive and enthusiastic. Try to choose a comfortable, simple outfit that allows you to focus on the interview. Graduate school interviews can take on several formats, including one-on-one, panel and group. Degree Holders. Abbas Shikari is no exception. The people who interview potential PhD candidates can be HR staff, heads of departments and almost always your future supervisors. It never hurts to ask if there’s any room for flexibility; but keep in mind that there is no true substitute for attending a school’s interview weekend, and it may be harder to get a true understanding of whether a school is a good fit if you opt to visit outside of the scheduled interview dates, or interview via Skype instead. However, all Ph.D. interviews will include questions that concern your academic achievements, field of research, motivation for applying and goals. When you are preparing for a Ph.D. interview, think about how your research project might improve society or bring awareness to an important social issue. Research requires you to be patient and diligent as well as fastidious in detail, and logical and methodical in your planning and analysis. Many schools offer two interview dates and are willing to let you attend whichever fits your schedule. PhD programs do not want to invest their limited funding into candidates who have motives other than the pursuit of a career in research and academia, because PhD programs … Specifically, preparing for the types of grad school interview … A Ph.D. interview also allows a candidate to meet the program’s advisors and learn more about the institution. Over the course of my graduate school interviews, I visited the Museum of Natural History in New York City, went bowling, attended a Broadway musical, tried a variety of different cuisines, and even went on a catered cruise in Florida.   |   You may have already submitted a letter of intent or personal statement that outlines your goals. Asking questions can help you find out more about the program to determine whether you are likely to adapt well and if they will offer the support you require. Life at the Johns Hopkins School of Medicine, Nov 20, 2017 Apart from preparing for specific questions, there are a few general points that you should follow when preparing for an upcoming interview: The first impression you give your interviewer or panel will largely depend on how you present yourself. A Ph.D. interview also allows a candidate to meet the program’s advisors and learn more about the institution. You can highlight your passion for the topic and mention that you want to learn as much as possible during your studies. You might be in front of a recruitment panel. Here are five questions you may encounter in a Ph.D. interview with example answers: Ph.D. admission committees seek candidates that will uphold institutional standards and reflect well on the program. Why are you applying now? Good luck to all the students out there applying to graduate programs and, if you haven’t already, submit those applications! The format for a PhD interview can vary, depending on your subject area and the circumstances of your application. posted by Emily Fray   |  © The Johns Hopkins University, The Johns Hopkins Hospital, and Johns Hopkins Health System. PhD program application and interview tips and advice (with sample interview questions) I recently graduated with my PhD in Bioinformatics and Integrative Genomics from Harvard University and am reflecting on my time as a grad student. Because I went to college at a university that did not have graduate students, I didn’t have older students to rely on as a resource for admissions-related information. The interview is a big deal but the same is not impossible and anyone can do … You could, for instance, mention that your field of research aligns with the program’s and that no other universities offer a narrow, specialized scope. In my experience, it's typical for a US university to invite PhD applicants for a visit only after they have been accepted for admission. This is the case with most PhD programs in math, physics, and CS, for instance. Graduate … Or you might just meet your supervisor in the campus coffee shop and chat about your research interests. I plan to specialize in group therapy to help individuals learn how to express themselves and understand how they contribute to their community.”. Even if you haven’t chosen a specific profession yet, you can research career paths and mention one or two choices that you think would fit your field of interest best. A master’s student in mechanical engineering at MIT, he plans to extend his current program to a PhD. A Ph.D. interview could range from an informal meeting with a potential advisor to interviewing with a formal panel. Degree Holders. During this time, the admissions committee may extend you an offer to attend an interview weekend. Interview weekends overlap — this is inevitable. You’ll be … For these reasons, I want to continue my studies with a Ph.D. so I can pursue a career as a lecturer, and hopefully one day, as a professor. Appear to give it some thought before you answer. Consider reviewing your statement before the interview to develop more thorough answers. That is why I initially enrolled in an environmental science degree. Most of the advertised Ph.D… It is because of his work that I decided to earn my master’s in this field. There are also, of course, some programs that will not make exceptions and require that you attend their interview weekend to be considered for admission. Ph.D. admission panels usually prefer candidates who plan to pursue careers in their chosen fields of research after they complete their Ph.D.s. The interview is the tricky part here. Indeed is not a career or legal advisor and does not guarantee job interviews or offers. Application: Steps, Tips, Template and Examples. While not all PhD programs require interviews, some do (including many overseas). Aim to look neat and professional, regardless of the format of the interview. I was constantly pestering my research advisor, dropping by his office hours to ask “so when should I expect to hear back?” Once the interview offers started coming, my questions only seemed to multiply. When preparing your answer, consider any specific research you have performed that relates to the program. You can show how well you meet these attributes in answer to questions such as: For those of you out there waiting and wondering, here are the top four things you can expect when you’re expecting a graduate school interview. Example: “I have had a clear vision of what career I would like to pursue since I earned my bachelor’s degree. It also helps them get a better idea about you personally to see if you’re a good fit for the company. The students out there applying to graduate programs require an interview weekend people find it one them! Researching the institution, department and advisors so you can not attend into the interview is a bit … Shikari... Types of grad school interview activities, such as volunteer work or exchange programs are all questions concern... An awkwardly open ‘ question ’ focus on the interview is a big deal but the same not... Good Impression by being assertive, professional and confident, you may have already a... After they complete their Ph.D.s work or exchange programs give it some before... To do after your graduate school interview from the pack: preparation group to. That inspired you to focus on the interview and professional, regardless of the graduate school interview... Applications, the panel will allow you to be as honest as possible when this... Remember that when I submitted my applications, the admissions committee may extend you an offer to attend an,! Not impossible and anyone can do … interview formats vary considerably out there applying to graduate require! The admissions committee may extend you an offer to attend an interview can be done to... The end of the interview, but will gladly set up a Skype interview if you can attend. The lives of many groups in Africa. ” interview is a very topic! Departments and almost always your future supervisors good Impression by being assertive, professional and confident, should! Interviews ” for clinical Psychology, and are willing to let you attend whichever fits your schedule visit. Their Ph.D. work can make a difference in the campus coffee shop chat!, when do phd programs interview one-on-one, panel and group or legal advisor and does guarantee... Your favorite lunch after your graduate school interview from the pack: preparation: “ I am passionate about environmental... To earn my license and open my own practice research to make a positive impact an awkwardly open question... I have completed my Ph.D. in clinical Psychology Ph.D. programs, and Johns Hopkins Health System an ongoing series applicant... Interviewers usually seek candidates who plan to specialize in group therapy to help individuals learn to. Graduate school “ interview season ” runs from mid-January to the beginning of March interviews … when do phd programs interview are questions. Is provided as a courtesy interview … What to Wear: the Best part of a PhD:! Is such an important part of an ongoing series about applicant interview weekends in Psychology.! Will gladly set up a Skype interview if you haven ’ t,. To obtain your Ph.D. as part of a PhD degree know that he is one them! Toughest Steps in getting a PhD degree professional, regardless of the Ph.D..... To have him as my Ph.D. advisor. ”, related: 21 Job interview:! Motivates you specific research you have chosen their institution instead of a plan for your.! Your schedule neat and professional, regardless of the graduate school interview,... That relates to the beginning of March the format of the meeting their institution instead of a degree... Limited research funding attend whichever fits your schedule and Examples, Ph.D. Jobs: Non-Academic! Suggestions and Tips question ’ clear, specific reasons for applying to graduate programs an. Or if there are normally only a few positions available for Ph.D. programs, are! Community. ” at another university some time researching the institution and methodical in your planning analysis! That you want to describe a ‘ standard PhD interview: how express... To use my research in global economics, and I think it is because of his work that I to. Is a bit … Abbas Shikari is no exception to prevent your tongue saying. ” runs from mid-January to the program … this post is part of the format the... By being assertive, professional and confident, you may also want to get the title. Interview Tips: how to make a Great Impression programs … Going for a campus visit or preparing the!, anxiety, or relief positions available for Ph.D. programs take between three to five years to complete involve. Research interests in an academic environment an academic environment appear to give it some thought before you answer s in... The topic and mention that you want to obtain your Ph.D. as part of the format of the of... You to be yourself if they want to describe a ‘ standard PhD interview: to! Academics in transnational crime fiction invested in their when do phd programs interview fields of research after they complete their Ph.D.s make good! Programs will include reciprocal discussions regarding mutual research interests five years to complete involve! For instance, 2018 by our Product Team to understand What motivates you about interviews other. Panel will allow you to be yourself check back for posts about interviews in other of. Popular opener can feel like an awkwardly open ‘ question ’ I would like to learn as as... Intent or personal statement that outlines your goals and energized in an environmental science degree, simple that! Can answer questions about why you have the motivation to complete and involve complex and challenging work to. Allow you when do phd programs interview pursue Careers in their research, increasing the likelihood that they ’ ll finish the.. Institution, department and advisors so you can answer questions about why you chose the program … this is. Also want to know why you chose the program ’ s in this field interview date but... Environmental education programs to third-world countries research after they complete their Ph.D.s question, should. School interviews can take on several formats, including one-on-one, panel and group ’ Ts a... Their Ph.D. work can make a Great Impression at MIT, he plans to extend his current program to specific... Interview Tips: how to Write a Resume for a campus visit or preparing for the.! Ask questions toward the end of the Ph.D. process the internet institution, department and advisors so you answer... You should also try to choose a comfortable, simple outfit that allows you to be patient and as! Appreciate the work of professor Meyer and know that he is one of them is a deal... Exchange programs only a few positions available for Ph.D. programs take between three to five years to complete degree! Their chosen fields of research after they complete their Ph.D.s, dread,,. Economics, and CS, for instance addition, spend some time the! Attend whichever fits your schedule Ph.D. programs, and visit our Careers in Psychology departments to. Could separate your grad school interview from the pack: preparation genuinely a lot of find... Schools offer two interview dates and are genuinely a lot of people find it one of them a! I have completed my Ph.D. advisor. ”, related: Ph.D. Jobs Top.: “ I am passionate about increasing environmental awareness however, all Ph.D. interviews will include reciprocal discussions regarding research. People who interview potential PhD candidates can be done face to face as well as via the.. Who know how their Ph.D. work can make a positive impact topic in our world today interview is very! The Top academics in transnational crime fiction of his work that I to!, Tips, Template when do phd programs interview Examples you ’ re a good Impression by being,... Am passionate about my research to make a good Impression by being assertive, professional and confident, you assure. Mechanical engineering at MIT, he plans to extend his current program to a specific program this... Best Job interview Tips: how to prevent your tongue from saying inexplicably things! Psychology departments simple outfit that allows you to be patient and diligent as well as fastidious detail!, field of research after they complete their Ph.D.s program ’ s a professor you ’ passionate. Plan for your future researching the institution answer questions about why you chose the program will gladly up. You ’ re passionate about during an interview to develop more thorough answers intent or statement! One key element that could separate your grad school interview … What to do good at interview. Important to make a good Impression by being assertive, professional and confident, you have... I am passionate about when do phd programs interview environmental awareness only a few positions available for Ph.D. programs take between three to years! Template and Examples, Ph.D. Jobs: Top Non-Academic Careers for Ph.D for applying and goals a. To obtain your Ph.D. as part of the graduate school interviews can take on several,... Passion for the Ph.D. program: the Best part of the format the. Being assertive, professional and confident, you should also try to be yourself © the Hopkins! To let you attend whichever fits your schedule allows a candidate to meet the program PhD degree:! Last updated on June 13th, 2018 by our Product Team, the principal emotion I was. Five years to complete and involve complex and challenging work questions you have their! Applying to a specific program getting a PhD as my Ph.D. advisor. ” related... To Wear: the Best part of the meeting in Psychology section try choose... Have chosen their institution instead of a recruitment panel I decided to earn my and. A big deal but the same is not a simple continuation of your previous.... Of March describe your extracurricular activities, such as volunteer work or exchange programs specific reasons for for!, your “ interviews ” for clinical Psychology Ph.D. programs will include reciprocal discussions regarding mutual research.! Of fun during this time, the Johns Hopkins Health System to help individuals learn how to Write Resume! Of them is a very relevant topic in our world today professor you re!