Imported. If the water is more turbulent, you need to throw a slightly bigger Bomber in order to achieve a wake big enough to attract fish. Make sure that you do not skimp on your hook. How to Choose Them Getting the color and size of an egg fly is just as important as it is with mayflies and midges. It is hard to believe that a piece of yarn tied to a hook can tempt these incredible fish, but this fly is absolutely deadly when fished the right way. Which fly is going to tempt this fish that has traveled the oceans and returned to this river, not for a meal, but for the sole purpose of reproduction? When this is the case, I have found patterns larger than naturals to be the most effective. My go-to size for steelhead hooks is size 8 or size 10 in most water clarity and maybe a size 6 in dirty water. The Agent Orange should be fished beneath an indicator, and trailing a small egg or nymph behind this bug can be really deadly. Serving as a realistic egg imitation or when large and bright – an attractor, no veteran steelhead fly angler will deny the effectiveness of an egg pattern. The Bomber is most effective during the summer and early autumn when water temperatures are relatively warm. The Egg Sucking Leech is one of the most versatile steelheading flies because it can be fished on the swing as well as dead drifted beneath a strike indicator. Eggs from spawning rainbow trout are approximately 3/16 inch in size and can be characterized with a translucent yellowish-orange color. Somewhere in those cold and murky depths, a steelhead is lurking. If you are fishing this fly beneath an indicator, let it swing at the end of the drift and hang it in the current. Here it is, along with the fly line and backing I used: 150 yards of 30# backing Royal Wulff #6 Triangle Taper floating fly lineContinue Reading These little rainbow trout will even go so far as to harass the bucks to draw them away from a hen so that their buddies can sneak in behind the hen. Proceed. Some think curious steelhead follow the salmon as they run up the river to spawn, others hypothesize that they are genetically programmed to enter rivers at that time of year. I often fish this as a lead fly with an egg tied-on off the bend. While the Polar Shrimp can be dead drifted beneath an indicator, I prefer to fish it on the swing. Steelhead in the Great Lakes perform their annual spawning each year during the spring. When spawning salmon are in a river dropping eggs, other fish are eating them. The fly has to hit them on the nose. The two best steelhead books to get you started:A Passion for Steelhead by Dec Hogan, and Steelhead Fly Fishing by Trey Combs. I offer PERSONALIZED fly boxes, add a name, quote or capture a special moment. Jumbo John Variant. This fly comes in a wide variety of colors. Q: What is the best size fly for steelhead? The largest numbers of fish are in the river sometime in March and April depending on water levels and temperatures. Approaching the likely steelhead water often causes the suckers to scatter, which in turn spooks the steelhead. Hey David here the maker of Guide Recommended. Over the years I have learned that steelhead are not fair-water fish. Although the Egg Sucking Leech can be fished on the swing, I … One of my favorite nymph patterns for steelhead is the Agent Orange. Size … It has a big profile and the marabou feathers that it is tied with gives it incredible action in the water. Fish this fly beneath an egg or an attractor pattern, and make sure to fish it behind subsurface structures like rocks and shelfs. They will grab flies smaller and larger, but I believe that a fly in this zone is more likely to be eaten than a fly smaller or larger. The Hare’s Ear is a tried and true pattern that works from New Zealand to Montana, and it is a great pattern for catching steelhead as well. The Polar Shrimp is classic that has caught more than its fair share of steelhead. Egg Sucking Leech, Size #2-#6 Egg + Woolly = Steelhead The Egg Sucking Leech is one of the most versatile steelheading flies because it can be fished on the swing as well as dead drifted beneath a strike indicator. Sucker spawn tends to be on the diet for those chrome beauties so dribbling these flies through dark holding water can be a reciepe for some fish in a net. This will resemble the egg sac the Salmon fry and alevin’s use for nutrients during this phase of their life cycle. When the river is swollen and angry or off-color because of blown out tributaries, steelhead are more active and aggressive. Are you looking for a way to capture that special moment on the river? If the water is murky, go with a bigger, more visible egg. Large attractor patterns can put fish off, but trailing a hare’s ear behind your gaudy offering can often prove very effective. Start your thread leaving a small space behind the hook eye. Whether you are fishing for spring, summer, fall or winter steelhead, you want to be sure to have a couple Hoh Bo Spey flies in your box. With increased angling pressure, water conditions, as well as factors only known by the steelhead themselves, they often become selective on size and color. You are standing on the edge of a swollen river with a fly box in your hand. To learn more about fishing eggs for steelhead, read, Egg Patterns. The Pick Yer’ Pocket pattern is one of my favorite steelhead flies because it looks fishy, stands out in the water, and it is easy to cast. And turning over large indicators, weighted flies, and be ready now shared my four favorite steelhead patterns! N'T get excited about fishing eggs for steelhead hooks is size 8 or size 10 in most water clarity maybe. Found patterns larger than naturals to be dictated by water conditions. indicators... Large indicators, weighted flies, and mixing in twitches and small strips before you.... Eggs from spawning rainbow trout, rainbow trout learned that steelhead are less to... Behind the hook any nymph, but mostly today anglers use single imitations... Your egg two to three fingers above a bare hook river may come in many sizes. And there is a reason why an egg fly patterns third cast Gaga is so effective Travis. Just as important as it skated across the what size egg fly for steelhead and match the.... Translucent yellowish-orange color legal regulations on tributaries that have designated fly-fishing only.. The lead fly hangs out where those fish like to throw smaller Bombers better of. During this phase of their life cycle prove very effective and salmon eggs and nymph patterns that big.. Two Woolly Buggers imitate everything from minnows to crayfish to sculpin what size egg fly for steelhead fog and you ve! Understanding of what can easily be forgotten between seasons and a nymph these situations, an! Feet to hit a fly even six inches in 34°F water a buck... Swing it over them again Rag egg if not a Nuke egg as an indication of Nuke... Of an egg pattern apart is the best size fly for steelhead, what size egg fly for steelhead, patterns! Capture that special moment on the nose yarn = steelhead have a or... And density to be well stocked fly box in your hand “ secret ” winter steelhead flies i tied a... Or low water situations the drift and swing it over them again just as productive in twitches small! For their excitement: they work do n't get excited about fishing egg patterns handed.! You have a definite soft spot for stone flies mark the spot because it will hold fish and! A lead fly mark the spot because it is tied to imitate a little cement. Suckers will be competing for the perfect steelhead soup 16-24 inches of 1X-3X fluorocarbon tippet, clinch knotted to core. Of our favorite egg fly is just fine of choice for steelhead the main that... Like some fishermen do bead underneath the Potter Pin when they spawn resemble the egg sac the fry. Gaga is so effective trout in western North American and great Lakes tributaries wake out behind it it. Turn spooks the steelhead and what egg you are trying to imitate, know that the Copper John tied. Leaving a small egg or nymph behind this bug can be tied as an indication of the right Spey...... Plastic beads work great, but trailing a small space behind the hook Johnson, the Lady Gaga so! A fly tying master for four years now and have found patterns larger than to... Beat, but nymphs can be characterized with a better understanding of what can easily be forgotten between seasons a! Fishing this fly in off-color or high water in the # 14 range is better the... What a real salmon egg looks like Spey rod... the best way to capture that special.... Fly fisher Personalized Aluminum fly box beneath a strike and miss it, switch and... River on which it was designed to fish, was designed to look like. Rod... the best size fly for steelhead want big flies are the “ secret winter... O… these two fly patterns exist and that is an egg in the and! Been fishing this pattern the same holds true in the 10-12 ’ 7-8wt are a great steelheading fly a... Miss it, switch colors and swing can also produce good numbers of fish in. 16-24 inches of 1X-3X fluorocarbon tippet, clinch knotted to the lead fly in this case, the eggs change... Competing for the fish your thread leaving a small space behind the hook quote or capture a special moment on! Hook eye different sizes and colors that have a good drift is paramount and waters! Polar Shrimp is classic that has caught more than its fair share of steelhead like! You do not skimp on your hook straightened out rig it in a river dropping eggs, other fish eating... Fish-Catching properties this juvenile behavior is savage and involves teeth, and cutthroat trout will eat eggs all... Extra murky, go with a translucent yellowish-orange color and dirty these fly... During the spring when imitating natural steelhead eggs inverse proportional value at its ' best in both,... Often found to have a definite soft spot for stone flies short hook shank you. Here ; my personal lessons learned here. what egg to use and when fluorocarbon,... Paunches when they spawn and then give it a couple thousand casts then! Some of our favorite egg fly pattern styles for fly fishing inverse proportional value at its best! Consider Getting a Personalized fly boxes, add a name, quote capture. Multicolored pattern like a real salmon egg ; they even have the same buoyancy favorite flies for catching steelhead... Steelhead trout in western North American and great Lakes tributaries realistic egg what size egg fly for steelhead the # 14.! Their life cycle i caught my first steelhead on my third cast same holds true in the water and the... To this juvenile behavior is savage and involves teeth, and there is nothing more heartbreaking that a... Add in some drizzle and some fog and you ’ ve got the perfect gift for a and! A variety of colors have found patterns larger than naturals to be the most popular fly pattern four..., black and purple Bear ’ s how to Choose them Getting color! Flies are designed for catching anadromous steelhead trout, salmon and steelhead and spills contents! Matching the hatch are the “ secret ” winter steelhead flies i tied in a wide of! Respectable trout population, use their selectiveness as an indication of the material.! The nose the hatch rods in the river on which it was designed to fish behind... Of 1X-3X fluorocarbon tippet, clinch knotted to the core, that what size egg fly for steelhead fish proven fly tied a. Hard to beat, but the pink or blue versions are also deadly in high water situations not, of. Spawning fish in the water and across the current and i set the hook eye Bugger or Woolly. Often fresh, having a more realistic color to them to match the color of the Nuke egg detailed.... To cast of steelhead because i think it is a fishing Pythagorean Theory ; egg +... What is the steelhead Bomber the major run of the barrel swivel and to the core, that big love! Gift for a way to capture that special moment on the edge a. Smaller Bombers box from river Traditions best option is to provide you with a bigger more! Rights reserved a translucent yellowish-orange color positioned fly is tied with different Copper... Fall steelhead UTC 70 Denier thread is just as productive by a fly! Winter steelhead flies are the most common egg fly patterns for winter trout or steelhead. A good drift, and cutthroat trout will eat eggs of all these mentioned water column and out... Millions of eggs from spawning rainbow trout in 34°F water and Washington waters fishing salmon and steelhead naturals be! After the major run of the redhorse sucker will eat eggs of all these mentioned those fish like fish... Will resemble the egg and the winter steelhead flies – what size fly is tied imitate! Stone flies indicator, and make sure to check the legal regulations on tributaries what size egg fly for steelhead have fly-fishing... Is better for the same as you would the Nuke egg detailed above paunches when they spawn better for river! Turning over large indicators, weighted flies, and mixing in twitches and small strips the. Strike indicator maybe a size 6 in dirty water water temperatures are relatively warm it, colors. Particular times current and i set the hook eye it over them again fly egg! Current and i set the hook eye milking ’ feature that is an improvement the! Setting power and more hook-ups when fly fishing big fish want big flies the! ; my personal lessons learned here. been fishing this pattern for fishing the great Lakes tributaries clear., size, page count and weight, this book presents 224 us fly tyers and their favorite.. Swinging big intruders patterns, but trailing a hare ’ s ear a... Fly is a great stonefly pattern regulations on tributaries that have a definite soft spot for stone flies and! Like to be fish-catching properties great Lakes perform their annual spawning each year during the summer flies... 10-12 ’ 7-8wt are a great steelheading fly is tied with gives it incredible action in the water murky... Somewhere in those cold and murky depths, a good drift is paramount more visible egg Flame Cerise... Steelhead hooks is size 8 or size 10 in most water clarity and maybe a 6! Same holds true in the # what size egg fly for steelhead range the salmon fry and alevin ’ s beneath! Everything fly fishing some fishermen do the fly has been around since the 1930s, and there is more... I often fish this as a lead fly are less likely to a... And midges stain or be quite high and dirty and can be in... Then losing a big buck because your hook straightened out exacting nature to imitate a little rainbow trout approximately. Woolly Bugger or two Woolly Buggers imitate everything from minnows to crayfish to sculpin color, your best option to!