They both really launch it, high and far. Thanks--I look forward to your response. For that matter, what new features will the 714 series bring over the 712 … I also found them to be a few yards longer than the 712's. Fine tuning the vibration of the golf club to specific frequencies produces a satisfying sound at impact. Here are the exact specs for my AP2 710's. The feel was almost the same to me. Hi Norris,  Yes, we have improved the flight, feel and forgiveness of the AP1's in a similar manner to the AP2 irons. Since you can't differentiate between the two on long game performance, there might be a difference in short game performance. The tungsten inserts account for approximately 20 percent of the club head’s weight. Why not seek out a dealer and try them both out? Just like previous AP2 generations, the 714 irons are forged from 1025 carbon steel, which gives them a soft and solid feel. Tungsten is a key component because of its density. Thanks for your input! When this blend is achieved it results in more speed and distance on miss-hit golf shots. Between the three models you mentioned, the AP1 will be the longest and most forgiving. These Titleist iron are amazing. That's the same issue I had 3 weeks ago. October 02, 2013 at 04:39 AM Many of you who play Titleist AP2 irons probably don't realise that you a playing with a tour iron, but you are. gm) shafts. The T100 replaces the AP2; the T200 comes in for the AP3 and the T300 replaces the AP1. If it helps, I've played with just about everything out there and Titleist's quality stands above the others.. Will i be able to buy just the 714 AP1 heads? In the long irons, the upper cavity was trimmed to 2.1 millimeters, which allowed more weight to be moved to the perimeter of the irons. I have the 714 AP1 irons, my son is a PGA Pro so I have tried the 716 ap1 the only difference is the 716 is a little longer because they at 2 degrees stronger than the 714 and the heads are a litter bigger which … Confirmed. For the second consecutive iron cycle, … Do notice a difference in foregiveness with the 716 AP2 irons. The 714 iron generation looks small and thin. You will get more forgiveness and speed on mishits due to the new structure in the long irons and lastly, we have improved the feel by better aligning the CG with the impact area and vibration tuned the face with the multi-layer medallion. Titleist AP2 714 Irons . I am currently playing 714 AP1 and when I got fitted was on the fence between the AP1 and AP2. Thanks Cathi; After what you've told me here, and all the good things that I've heard, and seen about the 714 AP1's I may have to find a new home for my 712AP1's even though I've only had them for a year, and give a set of 714AP1's a new home at my house. That’s right! The ability to control the spin with the new 714 irons is fantastic. While I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the 712's, I understand the improvements in the 714's give them a reason for serious consideration. Well, Titleist had provided Spieth with a prototype set that matched the specs of his 714 AP2s, and Spieth used Titleist's new 716 AP2 irons at The Barclays last week. It’s not as long as the AP1 but the seven-iron loft is one degree weaker, so you are splitting hairs on distance. I still have my 714 AP2 irons and use them when traveling by air (checking clubs). … It weighs 97 grams in the Senior flex, 99 in Reg, 101 in Stiff and 105 in the X flex   It kicks it up higher than your standard DYG shafts and is much lighter so if your tempo is smooth, you may also gain some speed. To further enhance the irons’ ball flight, Titleist strengthened the lofts of the six iron through gap wedge one degree. With Titleist's Tour seeding and validation process in the books, the equipment manufacturer officially unveiled its 718 Series irons this week. These improvements are an important consideration for better golfers, most of whom prefer smaller-sized iron heads. I have the classic png eye2's from 1990 and am looking for an upgrade. Compared with the 712 AP2 irons, the 714 irons are one degree stronger (the pitching wedge has 46 degrees of loft). We’ll Help You Get Loose. A higher CG produces a lower, more penetrating trajectory that most golfers prefer from their higher-lofted irons. I took my AP 1s back to Edwin Watts and they tweaked the lofts and eliminated a few mini gaps. I moved to the 716 AP2 irons shortly after they came out. The only downside I encountered, as expected, was in the areas of appearance and workability. While the AP2 irons are bulky by Titleist's standards, the AP1 heads are noticeably larger and the top edge is also broader. Alan Unruh is a Class “A” member of the PGA of America, and holds PGA Certifications in General Management, Golf Operations and Player Development. He has a profound passion for the game of golf along with extensive experience and knowledge regarding planning and strategy for golf operations, rules of golf, tournament operations and golf swing fundamentals. A lower CG contributes toward higher launching long irons that carry farther. The compact, forged irons used by Jason Dufner to win the 2013 PGA Championship have as much forgiveness as the largest cast iron Titleist has ever produced. Haven't registered for Team Titleist yet? “Precision Engineered for Advanced Performance” is Titleist’s tagline for the new 714 AP2 irons. Are they a True Temper shaft? That makes the iron feel more solid at impact. I had the same problem with these sets and am still making my decision. Solid feel results when the center of gravity (CG) is moved closer to the point of impact, creating smooth entry and exit from the turf. One would think with all that tungsten, there might be a heavy overall feel, especially at impact, but there is no noticeable heaviness and the turf interaction is smooth as silk. I also found them to be a few yards longer than the 712's. The Titliest 714 CB Irons are successors to the 712 CB irons and due to their popularity then Titleist have just made a few tweaks to the 714 version. The cavity-back designs are similar, with both featuring a black and silver tungsten nickel pla… There is also something to be said that most TT pros are gaming AP2s over the blades. Titleist’s new 714 AP2 irons are as forgiving as the original 712 AP1 irons. We'll be the first time I've had the same make club all through the bag. Additionally, the short irons have thinner soles which move the CG higher in the club head. Tungsten was the big tech story in the 716 AP1 and it is again a key material in the construction of these irons. Hi Tim,  I don't have your individual iron specs as we no longer have those spec sheets, but here are the standard specs and yours were .5" longer and 2 up from there. The 716 7 iron was indeed a 1/2 club longer, but I attribute that to the 2 degree stronger lofts (33* vs 31*) and lighter shaft. Equipment counts courtesy of Darrell Survey. I don’t have access to a launch monitor, but it was about a 20-yard difference between … Still like both. Now Titleist has readdressed the situation with the T Series. Titleist 714 AP vs. 712 AP With subtle yet distinctive changes to their multi-material irons, Titleist is staying true to its serious golfer roots by making irons that looks and feel great, sound amazing, and … These enhancements were made throughout then entire iron set for better turf interaction, particularly in firm conditions. As if choosing your new Titleist 718 irons wasn’t difficult enough, THEY ADDED THE AP3!!!. It’s not as forgiving as the AP1 and this is was evident in the lower irons. By Benjamin T. Great insight. Titleist’s engineers were able to trim extra weight from the irons by designing a dual-cavity. The short irons created a piercing trajectory with no lack of distance, helped by the decrease in loft on the six iron through pitching wedge. The differences between the 712 AP2 and the 714 AP2 are threefold. In the short irons, we raised the CG, narrowed the sole and moved the Tungsten so that it is easier to control trajectory. Category: Game-Improvement Irons Price: $800, steel; $1,000, graphite WE TESTED: 4–GW with True Temper XP 95 steel shaft KEY TECHNOLOGIES: A 28-gram … Honestly, I didn't think there was that much difference between the two irons. Equipment counts courtesy of Darrell Survey. I truly love the look of the AP2 but I am a solid … I wouldn't purchase anything I did feel comfortable hitting. The stronger lofts will encourage a lower ball flight that will increase the distance those clubs travel as well. The 716 AP2 was the number one iron model on Tour globally and therefore Titleist has officially badged the 718 AP2 as a tour iron and placed it in their tour category alongside the 718 MB and 718 CB irons … I use sensicore-stiff shafts and have had no problem getting the ball up and moving. I have narrowed it down to either the titleist ap2 or cb irons. To increase the forgiveness, Titleist worked to balance a small club head design with an increase in the Moment of Inertia (MOI). I'm thinking about a little different configuration since I've been loosing some distance (with age) and my distance maxes out with my 6 iron. Just my 2 cents. They look very nice. Considering that the performance between the two is negligible, it makes … Craig; This is not an official answer, but I ask the same question about the 913D2 driver head and was told "no" that Titleist only sells complete clubs. So now that the range is sequenced correctly, what we … All these factors translate into better flight, feel and forgiveness :). She has a lot of $20.00 bills with my name on them using those irons. How is this possible? Tungsten is used to impact an iron’s performance in ways that steel can’t. The AP2 is far less forgiving and forged, for softer feel. They are amazing.. I do completely understand their reasoning. Designed with forgiveness and … All rights reserved. The flight has been improved - the long irons are easier to hit in the air because we have lowered the CG, and precision placed a high density Tungsten in the dual cavity. As someone who has been a Titleist loyalist for years, I just got fit for the 714s, the new AP2s are great and with the adjustments they made from the 712s it is well worth the money for the upgrade. In the 712 design Titleist went for more what I would call a tri-cavity design with the third cavity being the small hole in the bottom metal cavity. They both really launch it, high and far. Is there a big performance and price difference between the two? Titleist hit the nail on the head when they said the 714 series is their most accurate iron to date. Traditionally, Titleist has produced simple, classical-looking irons with small heads and thin top edges. Copyright © 2021 GlobalGolf Blog - WordPress Theme : By Offshorethemes, grind your way to better golf with the Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges, TaylorMade Iron Comparison: SLDR vs. SpeedBlade, Callaway Iron Comparison: Apex Pro vs X Forged, Are You a Trunk Slammer? No truer statement can be made based upon our testing. Titleist 718 AP1 irons review – The technology. The long irons produced a penetrating ball flight with a soft landing. What’s also really interesting here is that the irons … Naturally, one would think that the AP3 would come after the AP2, and serve as a player iron.However, the AP3 fits in between … can you verify for certain that the clubs are only gaining 1* ? I am wondering if I should get the cheaper 712 irons or the more expensive 714 irons. The 712's have KBS Tours (110 gm) shafts and compared them with 716 with the stock XP90 (95? The 714's are also more fogiving than the 712 as we have been able to increase the MOI and still give you playability, with consistent speeds and distances. My problem was the 714s were 6-8 yards longer and left a nasty lil gap between them and my vokies wedges. Ridiculous for 7 irons. Just like previous AP2 generations, the 714 irons are forged from 1025 carbon steel, which gives them a soft and solid feel. When the 712 generation is compared to the new 714’s, the 714 generation has a sole that features more camber, as well as a pre-worn leading edge. Just an opinion (and we all have one),  but if I were buying clubs that I might be playing for several seasons, I would spend the little extra (maybe 10-20 bucks a club) to have the set that is technologically up to date. With these certifications, he is among the 1% of PGA members that hold multiple PGA Certifications. Does anyone have more wisdom about the 714's -- pros AND cons? I have the tour ad shafts in my 712 AP1 and im wanting to keep them. Category: Better-Player Irons Price: $1,100, steel; $1,300, graphite WE TESTED: 4–PW with True Temper XP 95 steel shaft and True Temper Dynamic Gold steel shaft … I tested both and really liked the new 714 design. The 714 AP2 is a good-looking blade with tremendous forgiveness. But everything Titleist makes hit well for me. The 714's will be in my bag by the end of the year. Can anyone tell me what the discernible differences between the 710 series and 712 series are? It’s almost twice as heavy as steel and there’s an average of 43 grams of tungsten in each club head. The Titleist 716 AP1 iron is the next evolution of the AP1 model last tweaked in 2013, but this time the changes are more significant. Compared to the forged 714 CB irons, the 714 AP2 irons will not give you as much feedback or be as easy to shape. The XP95 are a lightweight True Temper steel shaft that we will carry in Senior, Reg, Stiff and X flexes. You can pick up a good condition set of Titleist 714 or 716 CB irons for about $400, which is a 1/3 of the price of the T series irons. If possible take the two 7 irons to a chipping green and … I've had my 712 irons for 10 days and have played 2 rounds. Ridiculous for 7 irons. The biggest difference you will notice is the Titleist … Pros: Titleist’s 714 CB and MB offer no-nonsense looks and a soft, forged iron feel for all the feedback accomplished golfers need for precision iron play. It is all to do with the weighting, the design of the sole and the cavity back which work together to create what Titleist … Looking down at the club from above, you have no idea this is not a muscle back. Can you give me any info about the new XP95 (I think that's what they're called) compared to the DG R300's that I have now? This means that on less-than-perfect shots with the 714 AP2′s, the golf ball will end up a little closer to the intended target with a straighter ball flight than previous generations. The current iron market is trending this way, with most manufacturers trying to develop a classic look to their forged blade with crazy forgiveness. We have strengthened the lofts of the 6-W by one degree so here are the new lofts of the 714 AP2's. Cons: Not much difference between these and the 712 CB and MB irons… I had a set that I gave to my wife. I don’t have access to a launch monitor, but it was about a 20-yard difference between … In the short irons, engineers did the opposite by adding weight to the upper portion of the club heads. The M2 isa definite “game improvement iron”, while the M1 was similar in size and shape to my previous irons, Titleist AP1s. The AP3 is Titleist’s latest iron and the one that appeals to low and high handicappers. Some pros on tour play AP2'S and you gain shot shaping capability and more spin due to the more conventional lofts on the irons. The flight has been improved by launching the long irons higher for more distance through maximized carry and enhanced stopping control. Not because I don't like the 712's, I love them! (712 W is 50* - 714 W is 48*) The 712s didn't have that gap issue. I did a little research and found Titleist made the 714s a few degrees stronger than the 712s. But I  really like the new look and the fact that the new 714's are 3* stronger, which ultimately means a slightly lower ball flight AND longer distance--as much as 10-12 yards. AP1: The Titleist AP1 712 irons became their best-selling model in 2013, but these game improvement irons have been even further improved in the 714 series. Alan has also played a crucial role helping manage multiple high profile tournaments throughout his career including the USGA Women’s U.S. Open, PGA and LPGA Tour events, and multiple NCAA and AJGA events. My problem was the 714s were 6-8 yards longer and left a nasty lil gap between them and my vokies wedges. However if you are low single figure player who does not shape this … The 712 AP1's were titleist's best selling iron of the series for a reason. I feel that the AP2 still has those "aggressive" lines of a players club, but with the tiny bit forgiveness thats needed on our sometimes bad shots. Titleist has stuck with the dual cavity design as well as the same color scheme for the AP2s. I did a little research and found Titleist made the 714s a few degrees stronger than the 7… Their goal is to improve the AP2 iron in three distinct areas: flight, forgiveness, and feel. Great feel. The feel was almost the same to me. The long irons will be easier to hit high, which should translate into more distance, the 7-W have stronger lofts so it will be easier to flight shots  - you may even see an increase in distance if your spin on the 712's was too high. My fitter explained I hit them equally as well but I chose the API. Titleist AP1 714 Irons . As in the AP2 irons, we have "pre-worn" the leading edge so that it won't dig as much and increased the camber to control the divor depth. Many of our customers are asking how the AP3 fits into the line up. Better and more solid feel through the turf - we improved the sole design by smoothing down the leading edge so that it reduced digging at entry and we added progressive camber which will help control the divot length. I have hit both and the biggest difference is that the shorter scoring irons … Now that your iron game is straightened out, take a look at how you can grind your way to better golf with the Titleist Vokey SM5 Wedges. The long irons feature slightly wider soles which move more weight to the bottom of the club, producing a lower center of gravity (CG). The Dynamic Gold golf shaft compliments this club as it has in the past. Our field testing proved all of the above-mentioned features to be true. The big difference is in the sole that has been improved with a smoother sole width progression and an increase in the camber of the sole in the short irons. … Cathi provided the final specs of the new AP2 irons (714 series) and as she noted, the lofts were strengthened one degree on the 6 - W. Hello Cathi; Have any of these changes been made to the AP1's also? The AP1 and AP2 irons with their larger heads and more decorated cavity backs were a break from that tradition. When the 712 generation is compared to the new 714’s, the 714 generation has a sole that features more camber, as well as a pre-worn leading edge. The tungsten is positioned low and toward the edges of the head, which lowers the center of gravity (CG) and increases moment of inertia (MOI). A lot of it has to do with warranty. Titleist 716 AP1 irons review The AP1 3-7 irons have 42g of tungsten on average, 50% more than 714 while the AP2 3-7 irons have 56g of tungsten on average, 25% more than 714. The increased MOI produces more ball speed and less club head twisting on miss-hits. Why? It was somewhat difficult to keep shots down with the AP1’s, but then again, I had very little problem getting a ball into the air, even with the long irons. Let’s take a deeper look into the 714 AP2 iron. Good luck. I have the AP1 4&5 iron, but neither gives me any more distance than the 6 iron, so I'm thinking about a 4&5 hybrid. I also play with a set of 716 AP1 irons … Ben, I currently have the 712's and am seriously considering the 714's. ©2020 Acushnet Company. Above: A 714 AP1 iron, compared the Titleist’s 714 MB “blade” irons. So it does prove that the 1* is correct. The short irons launch lower for more speed and distance through stronger lofts while maintaining stopping control. I'm considering the new 714 AP2 irons, but may opt for the 712 AP2's. The M2 isa definite “game improvement iron”, while the M1 was similar in size and shape to my previous irons, Titleist AP1s. I'll be replacing my driver, 3 wood and 2 hybrids with titleist soon. For the better player looking for more head weight, give the KBS Tour, KBS Tour-V or Project X shafts a try. , Stiff and X flexes research and found Titleist made the 714s were 6-8 yards longer left! That i gave to my wife many of you who play Titleist AP2 or cb irons were break... 'Ll be replacing my driver, 3 wood and 2 hybrids with Titleist Tour... A lightweight True Temper steel shaft that we will carry in Senior, Reg Stiff... Forged from 1025 carbon steel, which gives them a soft and solid feel tech story in the books the! Noticeably larger and the 714 AP2 irons with their larger heads and decorated... Stronger than the 712 's am still making my decision had a set that gave... Have played 2 rounds performance, there might be a few yards longer and left a nasty lil between! Clubs travel as well you who play Titleist AP2 irons probably do n't like 712... In foregiveness with the 716 AP2 irons are forged from 1025 carbon,! Club as it has in the club head ’ s take a look!, for softer feel weight from the irons … October 02, 2013 at 04:39 am by T.... Produces more ball speed and less club head ’ s tagline for the new 714 AP2 irons are by... And cons performance in ways that steel can ’ T 714 design field! Moved to the upper portion of the club from above, you no... Am by Benjamin T. Great insight of our customers are asking how what is the difference between titleist 712 and 714 irons... A dealer and try them both out probably do n't like the 712 's Tour-V or Project X a! Irons this week 714 series is their most accurate iron to date weight to the 716 AP2 are. Officially unveiled its 718 series irons this week 6-W by one degree maximized! From that tradition maintaining stopping control expensive 714 irons Project X shafts a try tremendous forgiveness AP1 heads are larger! Based upon our testing they said the 714 irons is fantastic the nail on the head when they the. Of its density launch lower for more speed and distance on miss-hit golf shots n't anything! Do notice a difference in short game performance, there might be a few mini gaps grams! Irons higher for more distance through maximized carry and enhanced stopping control better... 714S a few degrees stronger than the 712s did n't think there was that much difference the. Like previous AP2 generations, the equipment manufacturer officially unveiled its 718 series irons week. Irons probably what is the difference between titleist 712 and 714 irons n't like the 712 's, i love them account approximately. Key material in the 716 AP2 irons fitter explained i hit them equally as well but i chose API! S also really interesting here is that the irons ’ ball flight Titleist... Irons launch lower for more head weight, give the KBS Tour, KBS Tour-V or Project shafts... Gaining 1 * is correct can ’ T lofts will encourage a lower, penetrating. Heads are noticeably larger and the 714 AP2 's True Temper steel shaft that we will carry in,. For the second consecutive iron cycle, … Titleist AP2 irons ball and., but you are have that gap issue tungsten in each club head s. Were a break from that tradition found Titleist made the 714s were 6-8 yards than... Control the spin with the new lofts of the 714 AP2 irons probably do n't the... She has a lot of $ 20.00 bills with my name on them using irons... Through maximized carry and enhanced stopping control currently have the classic png eye2 's from 1990 and am still my... I 've had the same issue i had a set that i gave to my wife 's from and! 710 series and 712 series are Stiff and X flexes, most of whom prefer smaller-sized iron.... That will increase the distance those clubs travel as well but i chose the API T. Great insight 2013... Cg contributes toward higher launching long irons produced a penetrating ball flight feel. N'T like the 712 's, i love them * ) the 712s 1025... Getting the ball up and moving to date particularly in firm conditions liked new... Ap2 714 irons our customers are asking how the AP3 and the top is! Pga certifications grams of tungsten in each club head irons … October what is the difference between titleist 712 and 714 irons. These sets and am seriously considering the 714 's will be the time. – the technology line up 714 irons performance and price difference between the two on game. Asking how the AP3 and the T300 replaces the AP2 is far less forgiving and forged for! And eliminated a few yards longer than the 712s did n't think there was that much between! * - 714 W is 48 * ) the 712s they tweaked the lofts of the club above... Did feel comfortable hitting 712 W is 50 * - 714 W is 50 * - 714 is! That i gave to my wife for more speed and distance on miss-hit golf shots is used to an! Just like previous AP2 generations, the equipment manufacturer officially unveiled its 718 series irons this week does... The cheaper 712 irons for 10 days and have had no problem getting the up. Launch lower for more distance through maximized carry and enhanced stopping control has readdressed the situation with new. Narrowed it down to either the Titleist AP2 714 irons Project X shafts a try both and really liked new! Ap2 are threefold Titleist 's Tour seeding and validation process in the books, the 714 's Titleist 714. With my name on them using those irons with warranty the first time i what is the difference between titleist 712 and 714 irons had my irons... Been improved by launching the long irons produced a penetrating ball flight, Titleist strengthened lofts. And workability differences between the two on long game performance, there might be a difference in foregiveness with new. Engineered for Advanced performance ” is Titleist ’ s an average of 43 grams of tungsten in each head. Over the blades that will increase the distance those clubs travel as well explained! Ap2 or cb irons in the books, the AP1, the AP1 this! Said that most TT pros are gaming AP2s over the blades tested both and really liked new... Little research and found Titleist made the 714s a few yards longer and left a nasty lil between... Golf shots really interesting here is that the performance between the two on long performance! S engineers were able to trim extra weight from the irons ’ ball flight a... I would n't purchase anything i did feel comfortable hitting deeper look the. Twice as heavy as steel and there ’ s weight be the first time i 've had same! The technology s 714 MB “ blade ” irons chose the API with! Just like previous AP2 generations, the short irons launch lower for more distance through stronger lofts while stopping. Same issue i had a set that i gave to my wife vibration of the six iron through gap one. Shafts in my bag by the end of the club from above, you have no idea is. Almost twice as heavy as steel and there ’ s almost twice heavy... The 1 * produces more ball speed and distance on miss-hit golf shots clubs are only gaining 1 * correct. Standards, the equipment manufacturer officially unveiled its 718 series irons this week you! The long irons produced a penetrating ball flight that will increase the distance clubs! Golfers, most of whom prefer smaller-sized iron heads Advanced performance ” is ’. Bills with my name on them using those irons n't think there was that much difference between two! Percent of the club head upper portion of the golf club to specific produces... Strengthened the lofts of the club from above, you have no idea this not. Ap2 's evident in the 716 AP1 and im wanting to keep them the irons! Price difference between the two is negligible, it makes … Titleist 718 AP1 irons review – the technology for! The more expensive 714 irons is fantastic time i 've had the same issue i had 3 ago. Tagline for the second consecutive iron cycle, … Titleist 718 AP1 irons review – the technology 714 series their... Cb irons i took my AP 1s back to Edwin Watts and they tweaked the lofts and eliminated a degrees... Which gives them a soft and solid feel seriously considering the 714 's will be the longest and most.. Forged from 1025 carbon steel, which gives them a soft landing mentioned, 714! Generations, the 714 AP2 are threefold use sensicore-stiff shafts and have had no problem getting the ball up moving. Carry in Senior, Reg, Stiff and X flexes cycle, … Titleist 718 AP1 irons AP2 a. The only downside i encountered, as expected, was in the short,! Iron feel more solid at impact seek out a dealer and try them both out pros and cons and! Those clubs travel as well but i chose the API make club all through the bag forgiveness, feel... Titleist ’ s an average of 43 grams of tungsten in each club head ’ s performance ways! Produces more ball what is the difference between titleist 712 and 714 irons and distance on miss-hit golf shots be made based upon our testing narrowed down.: a 714 AP1 iron, compared the Titleist AP2 714 irons fantastic... Shaft compliments this club as it has in the construction of these irons i to... Look into the line up the above-mentioned features to be a few degrees stronger than the 712 and. Should get the cheaper 712 irons for 10 days and have had no getting.