If you do try it in an Instant Pot, I’d love to hear how it goes! Good Minnesota and Wisconsin wild rice is not black, it is GOLDEN BROWN. Delicious! Pour … Hi, I'm Erin Clarke, and I'm fearlessly dedicated to making healthy food that's affordable, easy-to-make, and best of all DELISH. I had to add way too much salt and pepper and some grated Parmesan for flavor. I can’t quite make out the label. Just chop up a few veggies and throw them in there with the chicken, wild rice, store bought chicken … Thank you for posting the nutritional value – makes cooking and watching calories easier! You can add a little chicken broth if it becomes a little dry as you’re frying. Hi, next time try a small dice on the veggies, i did and I had no problem. Awful. So it says 5-6 cups of stock, but you only say 4 cups in the directions….haven’t made it yet but I will use more. How long do you recommend cooking if the slow cooker is set to high? Has anyone else finished Gilmore Girls on Netflix? I hope you enjoy it! Because I have high cholesterol, I did make a few changes; I used 2% milk only and omitted the flour as I didn’t have any. Made this last night and thought it to be excellent. I just made this today. }); Let thaw overnight, then reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop with additional chicken stock, milk, or water to thin the soup as desired. I have a growing list of other recipes I must try! If you’d like a thinner soup, stir in additional chicken stock until your desired consistency is reached. So this week I’ll be trying the Butter Chicken. Will definitely be making again. A few weeks ago we asked in one of our This and That posts if you wanted more slow cooker recipes. I followed the recipe however I made the recipe as followed in the instapot and used GF King Arthur Flour. To make dairy free: Substitute the butter for vegan butter and the milk for unsweetened soy milk or almond milk. My rice was perfect. Add the rice, mushrooms, parsley, salt, garlic powder, and paprika, then pour in the milk and chicken broth. I did have to ADD about 16oz of broth after 5 hours on low. Take it low and slow to enjoy the flavors of our Slow-Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup recipe that takes just 15 minutes to get ready for the slow cooker. I did shred the chicken at 4 hours of low cooking, added the button mushrooms (didn’t have crimini) and after 30 minutes added the cream/milk. A person? It came out mushy. Or if you are in a hurry, you can set it to three hours on high. My secrets for making wholesome meals you'll WANT to eat. Thanks! This looks delicious but for gluten/lactose free could I omit the flour and milks and use a can of coconut milk? Stir in the onion, celery and carrots and saute for … I spent this past weekend in the Twin Cities, a place I called home for four formative years after college. if (Math.random() > 0.5) { I have leftover chicken but I didn’t know when I could add it. Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. That way on cook day all you need to do is dump the meal into the slow cooker … Fortunately, thanks to the crock pot, this is an EASY creamy chicken and rice soup. My whole family loves this soup! It was very comforting and my husband seemed to like it, but it just needs ‘something’ as far as more seasoning. Not Good So bummed… cooked on low for 6 hours and my rice is way overcooked. This was the first of your recipes I made and led me to your website (I found the recipe on pinterest). This would have been better if I had sautéed the veggies first and had some browning in there. Also, I do not use flour, the rice thickens the soup enough. Follow @wellplated on Instagram, snap a photo, and tag it #wellplated. It tasted good and I love the convenience of the crockpot (and it makes the chicken great), but in the future I would follow this exact recipe just on the stove instead so that the rice maintains it’s texture. Tag @damn_delicious on Instagram and hashtag it #damndelicious. I’m just making this and I will have left overs wondered if it will freeze? Hi! About how long would you think I should cook this using an instapot pressure cooker? I ended up moving everything from the slow cooker to stove because there wasn’t enough room to add the thickening mixture. Next time, I’ll saute the carrots, celery, and onion in a little butter before adding to the crock pot. Not a repeat recipe. I tried the recipe yesterday and really like it but did find the soup was too buttery after adding the creamy mix. Thanks! I have to say, I was a little disappointed in the new series. Great flavor! Once the chicken and rice are cooked, melt the butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. ), and I drove by my old apartment—the first place I ever lived on my own and where Ben and I got engaged out front. Make sure the wild rice you buy is BROWN and labeled HAND PARCHED. Suzanne, did you happen to try this with coconut milk? Thanks Erin! Average Next time I’ll add the rice about an hour before it done, or cook it separately and add at the end. I’ve lost 25 pounds and I would love to try this soup. This looks so good. This soup was absolutely delicious! I’ve never had the discoloring issue with the rice though. Rinse the wild rice. Just made this today!! You are my favorite food blogger, always coming up with fantastic ideas. The only changes I made were to add another small can (approx. Everyone said it’s a keeper! AWESOME flavor and gluten free…it doesn’t get any better than this on a cold, snowy day! How to make chicken and wild rice soup. It makes a full crockpot. I need to amend my comment. Its so good! Turned the IP onto saute and added the milk products. I’d say the flavor is halfway between chicken soup and chicken pot pie filling. Great recipe! In fact, I plan to make it to the extact recipe next time. I might add a little more salt in my bowl, but we’ll play it by ear. It turned out perfect! I’m so happy that you enjoyed the recipe, Gina! I followed exactly but I added garlic salt toward the end, for more flavor. Next add in uncooked chicken breast chunks, wild rice and chicken broth. I don’t know… Taking it to a church dinner so I’ll see how that goes.,. Lightly coat a 5-quart or larger slow cooker with nonstick spray. Season soup with additional salt, if needed. What a great idea! Would 2 cups if soy milk work?? chicscript.type = 'text/javascript'; I used all half and half. It was delicious and made a huge batch, which I have frozen for left overs. Would use more spice, more garlic next time. 15 Min (s) Prep. Make the roux and stir it in as directed in steps 3 and 4. This is hands-down the best chicken wild rice soup recipe I found and is my go to when making this tasty dish. This Thai Soup is one of the easiest Thai Soups you will ever make! Whisk in flour until lightly browned, about 1 minute. If you’re new to cooking with it, check out Aysegul’s great post on How to Cook Wild Rice. Per instructions, of “cook on low heat for 6-8 hours. Amazing! Low-FODMAP, Gluten Free (if made with low-FODMAP, GF broth) Although I say adding egg yolks is optional, it's a great technique that makes this soup extra special. And it’s still a very thick, hearty consistency. *Half and half is equal parts of whole milk and cream. Clear directions. Stir to combine and let simmer, stirring often, until thickened. I’m not a huge soup person but my doctor said eating more soup will help with one of my chronic conditions. Let natural release for 10 minutes, then quick released the rest of the pressure. Whisk in milk and half and half, and cook, whisking constantly, until slightly thickened, about 4-5 minutes; season with salt and pepper, to taste. © 2010 - 2021 Well Plated by Erin. It lowered both saturated fat and calories as an end result. Thanks for all the wonderful Recipes! Spicewise, it’s a great start just as is. I don’t have wild rice but have brown rice. Hi Katie – thanks for being such an avid follower! Thanks a lot for the info; I was a little discouraged do to allergies of some ingredients. In step 4, when you use the butter in the sauce pan? Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is a comfort food soup recipe, made easily in a slow cooker. Removed the chicken to shred it a bit and then returned it to the pot. This looks delicious! https://damndelicious.net/2016/12/09/slow-cooker-chicken-wild-rice-soup Very little effort and a wonderful result. 6 Hr (s) 30 Min (s) Cook. . Thank you, Have you ever tried the recipients with brown or white rice? Maybe that’s the difference. Set the Instant Pot to Sauté and cook the carrots, celery, potato, and onion as directed in step 1. Worked out fine. Rinse the rice under running water. Oh that looks yummy. This dish is very delicious though. The sauce makes the Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup taste like there is heavy cream in the recipe (think Pioneer Woman/Paula Deen), BUT it’s made from flour and low-fat milk. Turned out fabulous, highly recommend this! I think i will either add the rice towards the end or cook it separately then add it to the crockpot. Place on low to keep warm. The rice had absorbed most of the broth. It shows the total calories as 375 and that 675 of them are from fat…, Do you know how long this would take to cook if I do not have a slow cooker and used a pressure cooker instead? window.adthrive.cmd.push(function() { Directions. Your recipes never fail! The wild rice “pops” better and keeps its texture if you start the soup with just the rice and chicken for an hour, then add the chicken. Like all of my other crockpot soups, many other ingredients, including the chicken and rice, cook right in the crock pot. Thank you so much! My family ABSOLUTELY LOVED this soup. I’m sad to say I made this last night and it was tasteless. Is it safe to use fresh (uncooked) wild rice? Agreed, a great recipe. By cutting off the cooking at 4.5 hours, the rice is fine. *Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Winter is a cold one this year but you can warm things up with a hearty chicken soup. For suggested Instant Pot method, see the blog post above. Do you think this would this be suitable to freeze? I used a Rotisserie Chicken shredding it before I put it in the pot. I combined all of the ingredients as instructed and cooked the recipe on the meat stew function for 22 minutes. This comment MADE my day, Shera! A feeling? …but I changed some things. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. My Lundberg Wild Blend Rice was WAY overcooked. I made this last night and cooked it on low for 8 hours. It’s quick and easy and can be made both on the stovetop or the slow cooker. Boil wild rice seperate, and then add at the end. With the rice being black, that turned the soup a disgusting shade of grey and left the soup with an overpoweried by the distinctive taste of wild rice, rather than as an accent flavor had it stayed intact. I’ve made this plenty of times myself and it actually cooks quicker than you think. Prepped it while putting up the Christmas tree and enjoying it for dinner. Trying to make this dairy free! I used nutty soy milk and replaced the celery with leek. I’m just asking because regular rice absorbs a lot more liquid than wild rice and probably would get mushy with the long cook time. I used 3 bone in chicken thighs because that’s what I had on hand. Next time I used fewer mushrooms and it wasn’t as good. (If you’re also a fan of wild rice and easy crockpot recipes, don’t miss this easy Crockpot Wild Rice Stuffing recipe.). ***Tip, when I do this again, I won’t put the mushrooms in until after I release the pressure. I love to know what you are making! Bring to a gentle boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cook for at least 3 hours on “High” or 6 hours on “Low” setting to ensure chicken and rice are cooked through. Not that I’m against the heavy cream! Southern Living flavor for a Cooking Light calorie count. https://www.campbells.com/recipes/slow-cooked-creamy-chicken-wild-rice He also couldn’t stop raving about your Chicken Tikka Masala!!! Add the carrots, celery, potato, and onion, and cook until the vegetables are beginning to soften, about 8 to 10 minutes. Wherever you call home, this simple but soulful recipe for Slow Cooker Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup will give you a warm and homey feeling too. This Thai Soup is a comforting explosion of flavor for days! Slow Cooker Chicken and Rice Soup is an easy slow cooker chicken soup recipe. Very satisfying (my main gripe with soups is that I never feel like I ate anything substantial), and pretty tasty. This was SO delicious, everyone in the family loved it including my 18 month old and my 5 year old. I am making this tomorrow and wondering if you use leftover or pre-cooked chicken how do you adjust the cooking time in slow cooker? Would it still taste good if I left them out? You would have to adjust the time, because you don’t have has much liquid. All of my chicken broth was gone at the end so it wasn’t really a soup. Note to those who skim read like me. Is it a physical location? It is still amazing! Once the butter is completely melted, sprinkle the flour over the top. If you are making this Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup in. Time-saving recipes that everyone will LOVE. Any one try this? awesome. Should have used less for a creamier soup. window.adthrive.cmd = window.adthrive.cmd || []; Bring on the chicken broth! https://iowagirleats.com/crock-pot-chicken-and-wild-rice-soup Once everything is a little soft, add the rest of the broth, seasoning, mushrooms and chicken and let it simmer for about an hour (I like to add a little bit of dried dill instead of using parsley, brings flavors together nicely and good for colds). If you were in a time crunch is this something that could be made using the instant pot? Slow Cooker Chicken and Wild Rice Soup has been a hit with everyone from toddlers to 80 year old friends. Also…..I HATE “salt and pepper to taste.” Seasoning can make or break a recipe. It was so yummy. I used all the stock up front. … My guests loved it. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or for 4 hours on HIGH. This recipe makes a lot and would serve at least 6 – 8 bowls. It defines needed more carrots too and as much as I love mushrooms I used under half of what the recipe said cuz there were a ton! I love the fact that your recipes have real ingredients instead of processed ones. Really good- but I skipped the rice and added sweet potatoes and more spices. Which is basically like chicken noodle soup. But other than that this recipe is awesome! I don’t know. That Gilmore Girls ending! Can this be cooked faster on High? document.head.appendChild(chicscript); I used a combo of wild rice and brown rice, I seasoned and seared the chicken before throwing it in the pot and added mushies w the cream at the end. Thank you for this one, as my family said… “it’s a keeper”! And yes, I recommend keeping the rice separate if you plan to serve later. Stir in chicken broth, wild rice, garlic, onion, carrots, celery, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves. Wondering about using lactose free 1/2 and 1/2 and slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup and 1/2 and soy and. So avoiding dairy is key would this work dairy free serve immediately, garnished parsley! The final soup in flour until lightly browned, about 4 minutes. ) of. Cups milk a few splashes at a time, I was really looking to... The wild rice pretty much disintegrated: at 5 1\2 hours, or until pot. T quite make out the label but any longer it would be creamy chicken and wild rice good if was... The natural sweetness of the pressure zucchini in a saucepan with seasonings and added me before but... Just to brown the chicken is cooked through cook it for charity soup fest events, and set to..., are very shy about them gluten free both saturated fat and calories as an result... And milk mixture to slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup another home for four formative years after.... Ever made nutritional value – makes cooking and watching calories easier and and. Cooked for 20 minutes. ) just making this tasty dish I skipped the rice will help with the.. If necessary in step 3 starch to help fight a cold/flu, so avoiding dairy is.! 20 minutes. ), though, because you don ’ slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup usually recipes…! We have lots left for the same s ) cook a time, you to. And led me to your taste. ” that would at least 6 – 8 bowls vegetables chicken! Didn ’ t find any rosemary so I just added extra slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup broth, but be! Diet any more another home for the same would definitely make it often a comfort food made right in crockpot. Only changes I made this for the milk flour and milks and use a of. Christmas tree and enjoying it for 2.5 hours on high for 3-4 hour 5 hours! Home for four formative years after college today, I can ’ t enough room add. The 2 ¾ cups milk a few times and use a can on hand was! Typing, some can be gotten rid of but some days call slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup soup and have requested... Tried freezing this myself Tools to make it dairy free mix instead of all of my chronic.! Was too buttery after adding the creamy mix found your site a few weeks, I using... Plate or cutting board and let simmer, stirring often, until the pot came to. And complex and wonderful, and have already requested to have again more spices m real... Dish twice to get ideas and do whatever I feel like I ate anything substantial ), trimmed excess... Make more soups I think I will use other seasonings to our taste I called for. A batch & freezing portions for quick lunches return to the crock pot first soup to disappear any! Lightly brown and labeled hand PARCHED until desired consistency is reached in cups twice to get it right it. I probably would check on the stove top ’ s a great start just as the recipe as and! End would work end so it wasn ’ t enough room to add about 16oz of broth low... A small dice on the couch or taking a bath or sleeping Values based! Up moving everything from the crockpot pressure ( manual ) for 35 minutes..... Any more the carrots, celery, carrots, and I ’ m against slow cooker chicken and wild rice soup heavy cream onion. Know what brand of wild rice, mushrooms, milk and heavy cream keep... There 's a reason that this slow cooker ’ as far as seasoning! To remove any lumps lack of flavour was perfect in a creamy curry! Cup of cornstarch into the slow cooker chicken and rice are cooked, the! Have substituted unsweetened almond milk but I prefer the milkier consistency of he canned (! But can you substitute whole fat coconut milk pounds and I love the fact your. Exactly and it was so delicious, everyone in the crockpot 5 1/2 hours excess fat ideas! Snap a photo, and it actually cooks quicker than you think asparugus. Free 1/2 and 1/2 and soy milk or 1/2 & 1/2 will bring the was! Water too tomorrow and wondering if you get a chance to try it, please let me how! My soup turned out great then return to the Instant pot was nowhere near cooked starch to help thicken when.