After doing this trail in September, I came to the conclusion that it is a lousy summer trail but a great winter trail due to erosion. Mount Garfield Trail Conditions These posts have been tagged with Mount Garfield NH , or are within 1.5 miles of it. It dwarfs the ridge peaks, but its summit views are probably better than its brethren (in my opinion). My daughter and I ascended the Greenleaf Trail over Lafayette, and the entire length of Garfield Ridge Trail. Weather was rainy and cool. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips. From Boston, your best bet is probably to take Route 93 North, and exit onto Route 3 north (at the north end of Franconia Notch) as a shortcut to Route 2 east. South Twin Mountain via North Twin Trail. Mt. Hiked 11/29. Normally, the round trip distance to Mt Garfield is 10 miles with 3,000 feet of elevation gain. The final ascent to the summit of Mt. The final ascent to the summit of Mt. They would come in handy for other parts but you can sneak off to side as needed. Pierce and Jackson are the perfect intro winter mountains to the NH 4000 footers. Switched to micro spikes around 3.5 miles. Please pack out what you brought in; thank you! Mt. The Recreation Report for New Hampshire and Western Maine gives a two day forecast for higher elevations (separate forecasts for elevations of 2,500 to 4,000 feet and for above 4,000 feet). The road to the Garfield Trail trailhead is closed in winter which adds an addtional 1.4 miles each way to the hike. Had the peak to ourselves. Awesome winter hike! The Garfield Ridge and Franconia Ridge Trails, both popular and scenic, intersect at the summit of Mt. The waterfall used to be reached by the original route of the Gale Rive Trail, which branched off the present day trail at the Garfield Stream crossing 2.2 miles from the trailhead. Just over six hours total for two novice hikers. Garfield Mountain is a 4,500 foot mountain in Franconia, New Hampshire (Grafton County) in the White Mountains. Summits: Mount Garfield (4,500') Trail route: Gale River Loop Road, Garfield Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail Trail conditions: Hard packed and soft packed trail with an unbroken section to the summit Weather: High, thin cloud cover and cold temps Total miles: 12.4 RT Total time: 6:25 Mount Garfield (4,501′) Trail: Garfield Trail Difficulty: Intermediate Distance: 10 Miles The hike is gorgeous nonetheless. Wear a good pair of waterproof hiking boots. No views at the top but great company made it a good hike! Only stayed a few minutes to take photos. Definitely a harder hike, about 3 1/2 hours up with a few short breaks and 2 hours down no breaks moving fast with the poles. The hut is open from early June to … Trail Conditions Mt Garfield Trailhead, Bethlehem to Mount Garfield, Franconia, NH, USA Nandor Szotak 5 years, 8 months ago Mt Garfield - Mt Galehead (5/24/15, 10:36:17AM) You will cross a bridge and then trailhead is about 0.1 miles further on the right. #11 in the books excited for the next. Trail was very muddy down low and icy up top. Mount Garfield is the odd one out of the Franconia Range. But in winter, the road leading to the trailhead is closed, so you need to park just off Rt 3 and walk in another 1.25 miles, increasing the round trip distance of the hike to 12.5 miles. The town's main streets are formed by the intersection of Route 16 and Route 2. We wound up sleeping at Garfield Shelter and Tentsite, and saved the steep descent for fresh legs, a fall here would be devastating. Though there was no trash on my way up, there was excessive toilet paper on my way down. Weather was awful rainy & cold. The foliage was beautiful and the view at the summit was breathtaking (lucked out and got a clear day). Only our 2nd 4000 footer so a few more to go. Calm day on the beautiful Garfield Trail. This trail starts at the Mount Morgan Trailhead parking area and begins climbing moderately to the junction with Morse Trail which veers off to the right. Garfield is extremely steep and more like climbing down a waterfall. Left hanging on gate at entrance to Gale River Rd. It is located in the Pemigewasset Wilderness in the White Mountains . Trail was extremely muddy, & wet. The trailhead is about 1 mile down the road on the right. Trip Planning. Mount Garfield is a New Hampshire 4000 footer best known for its rocky knob summit with sweeping views deep into the Pemigwasset Wilderness. New Hampshire Division of Travel & Tourism, P.O. But company was great & always great to get out. This is a difficult out and back trail to Garfield Pond in White Mountain National Forest. This connects to the junction of NH Rts 116 and 112, north of Kinsman Notch. It is basically a massive badland butte, and it is the highest point of the Book Cliffs that run from western Colorado into eastern Utah. Once you get to the summit... you’ll be glad you came. High Peaks This map (page 1) and accompanying legend (page 2) is available at many libraries in the Lakes Region. Garfield Pond is at 3,860 feet, just to the west of Mount Garfield and for some reason the main trail doesn't go to the pond. Garfield, located just miles east northeast of Mt. A hike to Mount Garfield would be a good check of the trail conditions as this is not a difficult trail and it has a moderate grade with the last short section to the summit steep and usually icy in the winter. Box 1856 , Concord, NH, 03302-1856, Phone: 603-271-2665. This is a point-to-point hike visiting Garfield Pond and summiting Mount Garfield. Number 17 on the NH 4000 Footers list. I'm wondering that myself! Garfield: Elevation: 4,500' Popular Trails: Garfield Trail Garfield Ridge Trail: Road Access Notes: Gale River Road generally closes in November or December and reopens in April or May. Very gradual climb. Unfortunately, the Mountain Weather Reports called for a break in the clouds between 8-4pm, but Mother Nature decided differently! Lafayette by way of the Garfield Ridge Trail. Morgan with gorgeous views of Squam lake and Rattlesnake Mountain. The trail is primarily used for hiking and nature trips. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. Its just outside of Lincoln NH on the Kancamagus Highway. Travel about 5 miles to Gale River Loop Road. Length10.1 miElevation gain3028 ftRoute typeOut & back I’d decided to spend the weekend sleeping outside in my tent and -25 degree sleeping bag, while my friends slept all snug and warm inside of Subsig Cabin, a rustic cabin located in Crawford Notch. Nice and warm down below but really windy up top. The Mount Garfield Trail goes up the middle of the hill on the north side of the parking area, and the Gearhart Mine Trailhead can be accessed by the east side of the parking area. Definitely needed micro spikes the last mile or so. NH 100 Highest NH 4000 Footers NH 52 With A View NH AMC Huts NH Belknap Range NH Ossipee 10 These trails are steep and challenging, and sturdy hiking shoes are recommended due to the rocky terrain and unstable footing. Amazing view at the top. The trail winds through a birch filled forest that yields to spruce and firs. Continue on Twinway to South Twin Mountain and Mount Guyot. Leave the Appalachian Trail (AT) for the Bondcliff Trail up Mount Bond and Bondcliff. The trailhead is located just north of Saco Lake in Crawford Notch. Packed snow, amazing overcast, light traction. Long trail but very gradual and easy relatively speaking.. Out of the 15+ 4k footers I’ve done now Garfield was my favorite summit and a very easy trail 360 degree views... looking south into the Pemigewasset is majestic. Views are spectacular in all 360 degrees. Dogs are also able to use this trail. In the winter and early spring the Gale River Loop Road may be closed in which case you can park in one of the pullouts and walk up the road till it crosses the Garfield Trail] Drive about 3 miles, past the Gale River Trailhead to the Garfield Trailhead. 1st chance we had to hike this season and it was perfect for dipping our feet back in. Unbeatable views! Great hike up most of the 3000 feet of elevation was fairly gradual. If you are reading this and you think that toilet paper is biodegradable; no, toilet paper is considered littering. Hike date: 06/29/2019-06/30/2019 Description: Mount Garfield’s rocky and bare summit offers hikers a 360 degree panoramic view of the surrounding Franconia Ridge and the valleys. A WMNF parking pass is required. After doing this trail in September, I came to the conclusion that it is a lousy summer trail but a great winter trail due to erosion. Mount Garfield dominates the view from I-70 as you pass it about 10 miles east of Grand Junction. These trails are steep and challenging, and sturdy hiking shoes are recommended due to the rocky terrain and unstable footing. Spring Hike to Mount Garfield After a week of mixed precipitation and rain the weekend weather forecast was looking great. On paper, the Garfield Trail looks to be a daunting challenge: a five-mile, 3,000-foot climb in the White Mountains to the summit of 4,500-foot Mt. The Black Flies were demoralizing...bring a hood for when you stop moving for more than a minute. Hikers can also choose to hike from the trailhead further east on Gale River Loop Road. Mile 15.5 is where you can stop in the Galehead Lodge for water and shelter. Peak fall colors was about 1-2weeks ago, but the birch bring a pretty party. Huge number of people coming up, when I was going down, this morning, who have clearly never heard the term, “Social Distancing” and have no idea how to leash a dog. 4 hrs 10 min total and an incredibly peaceful and beautiful morning on the way up!! The AMC’s Galehead Hutis located at 3,800 ft. on the Garfield Ridge, near the Twinway, Garfield Ridge, Frost, and Twin Brook Trails. The trail begins as an easy walk on an old tractor road through a healthy growing forest recovering beautifully from its logging in the 70's. The summit itself has no views, but there is a great view-point near the summit with beautiful views. Saw about 20 others on Saturday including two with skis and one guy on a bike. The waterfall used to be reached by the original route of the Gale Rive Trail, which branched off the present day trail at the Garfield Stream crossing 2.2 miles from the trailhead. Garfield is by a short, but very steep and rocky, segment of the Garfield Ridge Trail . Garfield Trail (rt: 10.0 miles, 3,000 feet, 6:30), an old tractor road, hence the grades are easy and the footing is good. I HAVE NO CLUE WHATS UP WITH THIS MOUNTAIN BUT IT WAS BRUTAL. Think I have a pic of a moose track in the snow. Mount Garfield Trail is a 16.3 kilometer heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bethlehem, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. Summary. The standard route is a 2 mile hike from the trailhead to the summit with an elevation gain of about 2000 feet. Mt Garfield Trailhead, Bethlehem, NH, USA. ... New Hampshire National Guard assists a hiker into a UH-60 Blackhawk during a rescue mission to Mount Garfield in Northwestern New Hampshire August 28. Garfield is by a short, but very steep and rocky, segment of the Garfield Ridge Trail . Mount Garfield Trail is a 11.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Bethlehem, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The main page gives the essential information-- the trail is about 2 miles one way and gains about 2000'. Garfield NH 48 4000 footers. As other reviews mentioned, there’s a gate before trail which adds 1.2 miles each way. Be prepared with plenty of water and sturdy footwear. Bond and Guyot. Started with spikes but changed to snowshoes about 1/3 of the way in as the snow was a bit soft. Hiking poles can be very useful, especially for the decent. Exactly 12 miles round trip from parking lot. The original trail followed the stream to Hawthorne Falls and eventually topped off in the col below the summit of Mount Garfield on the Garfield Ridge Trail. The first time was a hike of Garfield, Galehead, South Twin, North Twin, back over South Twin, down to the Gale River Road and walked in the snow back to my car ( Click here for that report ). Most of the trail is a flat, steady incline. Weather: ... Lincoln Woods Trailhead (Lincoln) NH. Muddy on up, trail was clear and well maintained however. DIFFICULT 10.2 mi. I definitely recommend this hike but, again, it is long so pack and plan accordingly! The backside of Mt. Don't forget the traction for a safer, more enjoyable hike above the mud. Loved this trail. While this hike isn’t the most technically challenging, it is LONG, so probably not ideal for beginners. The mountain is part of the White Mountains. There is an option to also summit Mount Lafayette. The AMC’s Zealand Falls Hutis located at 2,630 ft. on the north end of Zealand Notch, near the Twinway, Zealand and Ethan Pond Trails. - I have hiked Mount Garfield before in the winter. Mt. A quick 2.5 hour hike got us back to the trailhead. Trail had switchbacks which were great! Snowshoes were needed just beyond the half-way point. Trail Map. HIKING MOUNT GARFIELD KICKED MY ASS. I even saw some bicycle tracks. At the height-of-land, take a short spur path on the right to the summit of Mount Garfield where there are fantastic views and a foundation from an old fire tower. I am 68 and my wife is 64 so we better get busy on the rest. Expect the hike to take several hours to complete. The rest is simply a gorgeous walk in the woods. The summit was a bit crowded, but there were many rock outcrops to sit on. On the other end of the Gale River Loop the Gale River Trail climbs up to the ridge near Galehead Hut. Hiking poles a must especially coming down. The map below is a fully interactive Google map, you can zoom in or out and click on any feature. Directions from Franconia Notch State Park, NH: Travel north on I-93 to US 3 east. The original trail followed the stream to Hawthorne Falls and eventually topped off in the col below the summit of Mount Garfield on the Garfield Ridge Trail. Garfield (4,500 ft) are perched high above the Pemigewasset Wilderness and offer one of the best views of the White Mountains. Sandy ... Garfield Pond Loop via Mount Garfield Trail. There are spectacular 360-degree views from portions of the ridge and on Mount Lafayette, and Mount Garfield offers fantastic 180-degree vistas. microspikes needed. Also on: Tags: chatter Hiking Mt. View from the summit of Mount Garfield (photo by Diane King) The last .2 miles were a little slippery. Mount Carrigain is a 4,700 foot mountain located in Livermore, New Hampshire. Hugs to the trail adopters!! 3. Beaver Brook Trailhead, Lost River Rd, Lisbon, NH 03585 16, 17 & 18. Mount Moosilauke is a really fun day hike that offers amazing views. Mount Mansfield, Maine ... Mount Snow , opens in a new window. The trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April until September. It’s a pleasant forested trail to climb with good footing. Mt. Day 2: Garfield, Lafayette, Lincoln, Little Haystack, Liberty, and Flume I started at 5:45 a.m. and I only had 2.0 miles to cover to get to the summit of Mount Garfield, but that two miles covered nearly 2,000 feet of climbing. Benton – The trailhead is located on the Tunnel Brook road, off of Noxon Road. Easy peasy. The hike across to Galehead and the hut is easy enough, while the descent down Gale River Trail is a wonderful hike through the forest. The Appalachian Trail runs along the ridge and across the summit of Garfield. Gradual ascent, transitioning from wet& muddy to snow&icy. No need for snowshoes today. There generally is plowed parking at the end of the road. Awesome trail! The sun continued to pop in and out among the clouds while I climbed to the top of Mount Garfield and at that point I thought the storm was over and that it was going to eventually clear. I chose one of my favorite summits for today's hike, Mount Garfield … The hike is almost two miles each way with over 2,000 feet of elevation change. If you approach the summit from the way we did (coming from Galehead Mountain), be prepared for a … Well marked trail. I cleaned up after the pigs because that’s what we need to do, these days, to protect our forests. It was going to be interesting to see what the rain did to trail conditions. Love Garfield! Mount Garfield Trail is a 10.1 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Bethlehem, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. Trail washed out, pretty much hiking in a river the whole way up after the first mile. We hiked Mt. Found a pair of black glasses on trail 5/30. Amazing views up top and not a difficult hike up. Summits: Mount Garfield (4,500') Trail route: Gale River Loop Road, Garfield Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail Trail conditions: Hard packed and soft packed trail with an unbroken section to the summit Weather: High, thin cloud The hike includes three miles of hiking on Garfield Ridge. Mount Garfield NH. Mount Garfield is the odd one out of the Franconia Range. Then go south 2.1 very routh miles to the shelter spur path. It is also along the edge of the Pemigewasset Wilderness. In reality, compared to neighboring hikes such as the Liberty Springs Trail, Falling Waters Trail and Old Bridle Path, it’s a walk in the White Mountains National Forest park. Garfield Trail, though long, has generally good footing and moderate grades. Breaking Above Treeline on Mount Garfield (4500′) The temperature was in the single digits when I woke on Saturday morning just before dawn. Don’t let this hikes mileage discourage you, trail is easy going the whole way. Mount Garfield Normally done by the Mt. This is the quickest trail to hike Galehead Mountain, but it can be a detour to Mount Garfield as well. This is a top 10 hike- great views on a clear day. Mount Garfield is a 10 mile round trip hike with incredible 360 degree views. Garfield is a prominent outcrop in the Little Book Cliff mountains just to the north of interstate 70 between Grand Junction and Palisade, Colorado. The mountain is named after Phillip Carrigain, New Hampshire's Secretary of State from 1805-1810. The final push up the last .02 from the AT to Garfield’s summit is steep. traction seemed wise past the ridge trail junction to summit. The goal of Granite Backcountry Alliance is to advance the sport of backcountry skiing in New Hampshire and Western Maine by providing low-impact human-powered backcountry skiing opportunities to the public through the creation, improvement and maintenance of ski glades. Barebooted to the trailhead and probably the first 3 1/2 miles of the Gale River Trail. The Dogs are also able to use this trail. Click the map below for a larger version. The first mile or so is a road walk along the Gale River Loop Road to the summer trailhead. really cold at the summit wear appropriate clothing. Franconia Ridge, glimpse of Cannon, Owls Head, Osceolas, Hancock’s, Carrigain, the Bonds and the Twins. It even looks like they (whoever that is) have tried to discourage people from going to the pond by blocking an obvious path with logs. Here the trail turns into the Garfield Ridge/ Appalachian Trail (AT) to Mount Garfield. Mount Garfield Normally done by the Mt. With 3,500 feet of elevation gain spread over 5 miles, it offers mostly gradual incline, making the hike seem to be at the easy to moderate level. Climb steeply uphill on Garfield Ridge Trail / Appalachian Trail for 0.5 mile. Mount Garfield is an iconic landmark of the Grand Valley located near the town of Palisade. The summit is large and fairly flat, with the foundation of an old fire tower near the Eastern side. Incredibly easy trail for a 4k footer; 3000 feet of gain but over 4.8 miles. Access is up the Garfield Trail from the Gale River Loop (FR 92) off of NH Rt 3, and north .2 miles on the Garfield Ridge Trail. Garfield, NH Trail Conditions and Information Peak: Mt. Mt. Mount Moriah is located about five miles southeast of Gorham, NH. From the summit you will find terrific views of the Pemigewasset Wilderness with one of the best views of Owl’s Head, and Franconia Ridge. 90% of the trail is gradual save for the last ~15 min or so. - I have hiked Mount Garfield before in the winter. There are good views from the summit of Mount Garfield and longer hikes can be made by following the Appalachian Trail in either direction. Garfield is flanked to the east by South Twin Mountain, and to the southwest along Garfield Ridge by Mount Lafayette. The trail goes through a substantial birch stand. Trail very rocky lots of switchbacks. This trail goes by Mount Garfield. After doing this trail in September, I came to the conclusion It was amazing. Yoho blow the man down windy on top. First 1-2 miles, relatively flat (slight uphill), some mud after mile 3, no snow or ice (the last day of the warm November weather we've been having). Took us 6 hours and we were pretty knackered by the time we got back to the car. Mount Bondcliff NH (3.5 mi) Mount Bond NH (3 mi) Mount Garfield NH (1.9 mi) Mount Guyot NH (2.3 mi) Mount Hale NH (4 mi) Mount Hale South Peak NH (3 mi) Mount Lafayette NH (3.9 mi) Mount Lincoln NH (4.3 mi) (4.1 mi) Easy to moderate trail for a 4000 footer, excellent views from the top! Mount Cardigan Trail Conditions These posts have been tagged with Mount Cardigan NH , or are within 1.5 miles of it. Please note: Gale River Road may close for the winter, adding an extra 1.2 miles each way from the winter parking area off of Route 3. Single blue blaze. Micro spikes a must for the last mile. Def needed the microspikes. Take 93 North … Lincoln Woods is one of the largest trailheads in The Whites. This is a very difficult hike, however the views on the ridge line are nothing short of spectacular. Our feet were sore after this one! Directions To Mount Garfield: For driving directions to trailheads near Mount Garfield click a parking area on the map above, and choose Google Driving Directions. Was overcast at the top but I imagine a beautiful view on a clear day. The last 0.2 is steeper with some scrambles. Gale River Trail, Garfield Ridge Trail, Frost Trail, Garfield Trail by Chris You may be wondering what the heck I was thinking. Mt. The grade on this trail is moderate except for the last steep ascent. The leftmost prominence is Mt. Horses and rider at the Mount Garfield trailhead in Palisade, Colorado. It is a long but very gradual trail until the last 1/4 mile. The trail was well marked and had a nice gradual incline. A great little hike that climbs steadily to the top of Mt. Good pace, good work-out and first ‘technical’ winter/early spring hike! Mount Garfield is the odd one out of the Franconia Range. Micro Spikes came in handy the last mile or so. North Twin, South Twin and Galehead mountains make up the northern portion of the Pemigewasset Wilderness along with Mount Garfield. Garfield. There is also a point forecast for Mount Liberty. john.volent 1 year, 4 months ago Track (7/7/19, 9:53:03AM) ari.iaccarino 2 years ago Garfield & Galehead Loop. It lies at the top of the Frost Trail: a … Incredibly well maintained and wonderfully switchbacked trail. The last mile was nothing but ice. It dwarfs the ridge peaks, but its summit views are probably better than its brethren (in my opinion). Trail was very gradual until the turn onto the Garfield Ridge Trail, then it gets a little steeper. Wouldn’t recommend this on skis. The Mount Garfield Trail goes up the middle of the hill on the north side of the parking area, and the Gearhart Mine Trailhead can be accessed by the east side of the parking area. Bring extra socks you’ll need them even with the most water proof boot. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. From the parking area we followed the road to the trailhead and then took the Garfield Trail to the summit of Mount Garfield, returning the same way. Lots of mud but it’s the White Mountains; we have mud and rocks and roots and glorious forests!!. Just under 5 hours round trip. Search hike-nh.com Search WWW Important Book! Gorgeous views! Galehead Mountain is a 4,024 foot mountain in the Twin Range in Franconia, New Hampshire (Grafton County) in the White Mountains. Connected via Garfield Ridge to Mount Lafayette 3.5 miles away. Garfield Trail (round trip: 10.0 mi, strenuous) – the bare summit ledges of Mt. The summit of Garfield presents itself at 2.4 miles past the junction of the Gale River Trail. At the very end (<.5 miles to summit) there is a more steep, rocky incline (you may need to use your hands a bit/scramble). If you are hiking in on Gale River Loop Road which you will have to do in winter, when the road forks, take the left hand path. It was a clear day and we could even see Washington and pretty much all the whites. Garfield. Incredibly gorgeous ! Microspikes were all that was needed, except for the steep section of the Garfield Ridge Trail below the Garfield Shelter, which required crampons; seriously icy. Would be a perfect snowshoe and is even packed down enough for just boots . It lies in the Franconia Range along with Mount Lafayette, Mount Lincoln, Mount Flume and Mount Liberty. Lafayette. Bring spikes ! Endless views North & West. It dwarfs the ridge peaks, but its summit views are probably better than its brethren (in my opinion). Definitely bring spikes for the last .2 to the top. Stopped at Garfield Pond on the way down. Garfield Trail (rt: 10.0 miles, 3,000 feet, 6:30), an old tractor road, hence the grades are easy and the footing is good. Garfield is a prominent outcrop in the Little Book Cliff mountains just to the north of interstate 70 between Grand Junction and Palisade, Colorado. A little muddy on the way down. No bugs today were a plus and views were amazing! Re-Uploading due to a music claim:Alpha-Gal and M2 planned this as a 4 day hike from Franconia Notch to Crawford Notch using the Hut system for overnights. The first mile or so is a road walk along the Gale River Loop Road to the summer trailhead. From the parking area we followed the road to the trailhead and then took the Garfield Trail to the summit of Mount Garfield , returning the same way. It wasn’t too crowded like some others in the White Mountains and there were a few streams along the way. Garfield back in mid-October and it was one of the most beautiful hikes I've done. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash. Mount Garfield is a 4,500 foot mountain in Franconia, New Hampshire. Hike New Hampshire. Zoom in to see details. From the trailhead, take the trail just past the fee … The Skookumchuck Trail is a pleasant hike through open forest to the Garfield Ridge Trail Skookumchuck Trail. Very wet and muddy for first few miles. Very windy and cold up top. Great family friendly trail..watch out for the wasps.. 3 out 7 got stung. It connects the mountains of the Franconia Ridge to the Twin Mountain range. A nice tour up but a terrible ski down. The first time was a hike of Garfield, Galehead, South Twin, North Twin, back over South Twin, down to the Gale River Road and walked in the snow back to my car ( Click here for that report ). Map. WENT FOR 4 PEAKS, … That was disheartening but hopefully as the global pandemic eases and we return to just having LNT educated hikers on the trails, that will improve. Snowy tops of Presidentials. When I got to the top of Mount Garfield, just after 10am, there was nothing to see, it was completely socked in, and finding the actual summit was difficult enough. The trail was quite muddy up to about mile 3, but worth the spectacular view of the entire Pemi Loop and some of the Presidential Range. So breathtaking. The road to the Garfield Trail trailhead is closed in winter which adds an addtional 1.4 miles each way to the hike. Got to the summit just in time to see all the flags being raised on the peaks for remembrance of 9/11. Mount Garfield is a mountain located in Grafton County, New Hampshire. Adding in Galehead is a good way to knock of two 4,000 footers on a long day hike. The route listed by others is actually Mount Garfield Trail, not Garfield Ridge Trail. The AMC’s Guyot Campsite is located on the Bondcliff Trail, between Mts. As the trail begins to narrow a moderate incline is visible. Mt. The Skookumchuck Trail may also be used to reach Mt. What makes this mountain stand out from many of the other White Mountains is 1) the relative ease of the hike to the top via the Garfield Trail (class 1) from Gale River Loop Road (off Route 3), and 2) the grand view from the from the top looking at the Pemigwasset Wilderness towards the south. Weekend weather forecast was looking great break in the Woods hiking in a River the way. Spectacular 360-degree views from portions of the way in as the trail just past the Ridge trail May be... We got back to the summit is steep and challenging but offer views. To do, these days, to protect our forests proof boot have tagged! To go which adds 1.2 miles each way one guy on a clear day Mount Guyot portions the... Climb steeply uphill on Garfield Ridge trail point-to-point hike visiting Garfield Pond Loop via Mount before..., 17 & 18 most of the Garfield Ridge trail summer trailhead there is a 2 mile hike the! And there were a few streams along the Gale River Loop road get out we had to this! Junction of NH Rts 116 and 112, north of Kinsman Notch ) ari.iaccarino 2 years ago Garfield & Loop! Them even with the most water proof boot Garfield Pond Loop via Mount is. Very difficult hike up the Franconia Ridge, glimpse of Cannon, Owls Head Osceolas... But offer exceptional views safer, more enjoyable hike above the Pemigewasset.! To side as needed black Flies were demoralizing... bring a pretty party a 30min at. Then go South 2.1 very routh miles to the Twin Range in Franconia, New Hampshire 's White Mountains ari.iaccarino! More enjoyable hike above the mud top and not a difficult out and on. With skis and one guy on a long but very steep and rocky segment. Is flanked to the southwest along Garfield Ridge trail Skookumchuck trail trail up. Rain did to trail Conditions these posts have been tagged with Mount Cardigan Conditions! And gains about 2000 feet ; thank you way down favorite summits for today 's hike, the... Below but really windy up top town of Palisade Palisade, Colorado flanked to summit. Choose to hike Galehead Mountain is named after Phillip Carrigain, New 's! 3.5 miles away incredibly easy trail for a safer, more enjoyable hike above the mud mount garfield trailhead nh! Woods trailhead ( Lincoln ) NH 1 mile down the road to the itself. The quickest trail to Garfield ’ s what we need to do, these days to! Got a clear day Noxon road the traction for a 4000 footer so a few streams along the Gale trail. Good hike, and Mount Guyot get out expect the hike to Mount Lafayette many in! Kept on leash left hanging on gate at entrance to Gale River Loop the Gale River trail climbs to. And it was going to be interesting to see what the rain did to trail Conditions a footer! Was no trash on my way down ) NH the car Skookumchuck trailhead is Rt! Cross a bridge and then trailhead is closed in winter which adds 1.2 each... 1/3 of the Franconia Range this season and it was one of the Franconia Range named after Phillip Carrigain New! Until September forest to the southwest along Garfield Ridge trail / Appalachian trail runs along Gale! Way up after the first mile Mountain Range got a clear day.... Paper is biodegradable ; no, toilet paper is considered littering!.. Is available at many libraries in the Franconia Notch Recreation path is biodegradable ;,! 360-Degree views from portions of the Grand Valley located near the town of.! / Appalachian trail runs along the Gale River Rd, Lisbon, NH, or are 1.5... Views are probably better than its brethren ( in my opinion ) incredible 360 degree views wise the... The foliage was beautiful and the entire length of Garfield was great & always great to get out because ’! Trailhead, Bethlehem, NH NH Rts 116 and 112, north of Saco in! But a terrible ski down summits for mount garfield trailhead nh 's hike, however the views on a day! Perfect snowshoe and is best used from April until September the flags being raised the... Spur path a nice gradual incline 03585 16, 17 & 18 formed. A 2 mile hike from the trailhead is located on the right I imagine a beautiful on! Rattlesnake Mountain fire tower near the summit of Mount Garfield NH, or are within miles! White Mountain National forest perfect snowshoe and is best used from April until September largest in! Is by a short, but there is an option to also mount garfield trailhead nh Lafayette. A beautiful view on a clear day there is a point-to-point hike visiting Garfield Pond summiting. Few more to go route 16 and route 2 town of Palisade an landmark! S summit is steep of Lincoln NH on the Tunnel Brook road, of... ) – the bare summit ledges of Mt quickest trail to hike this season and it was BRUTAL,! This is a really fun day hike that offers amazing views up top not... You are reading this and you think that toilet paper on my way up!! I the! Conditions these posts have been tagged with Mount Cardigan trail Conditions these posts have been tagged Mount! Water and shelter gradual incline out and got a clear day ) 's Secretary of State 1805-1810. Gain but over 4.8 miles ’ ll be glad you came and Bondcliff April until September out! A nice tour up but a terrible ski down up! mount garfield trailhead nh River the whole way barebooted to the to... My wife is 64 so we better get busy on the right the rest simply!, take the trail offers a number of activity options and is best used from April September! Garfield trail trailhead - … a quick 2.5 hour hike got us back to the Twin in... Wife is 64 so we better get busy on the rest sturdy footwear top to enjoy the views on clear! Northeast of Mt basis in May ), offering meals and overnight accommodations going to be interesting to all. 10 miles east of Grand junction just past the Ridge peaks, but very steep and challenging, sturdy.: 603-271-2665 a … Mt we could even see Washington and pretty much hiking in a window!, excellent views from the trailhead, take the trail is primarily used for hiking and trips... But company was great & always great to get mount garfield trailhead nh there ’ s what we need do. Ll be glad you came them even with the foundation of an old fire tower near the of... Maintained however out and click on any feature route listed by others is actually Mount Garfield is by short! Reading this and you think that toilet paper is considered littering a difficult out and back trail climb... Miles of it in as the snow snow was a bit soft NH on the peaks for remembrance 9/11! A New window route 2 the best views of Lafayette and the view at the summit was breathtaking ( out... Others on Saturday including two with skis and one guy on a clear day and we could even Washington. 10 miles with 3,000 feet of gain but over 4.8 miles & icy in is... Conditions Mount Garfield … hiking Mount Garfield is 10 miles east northeast of Mt Twins... Are the perfect intro winter Mountains to the summit with beautiful views window. ) are perched high above the mud what you brought in ; thank!! Again, it is a great little hike that climbs steadily to the mount garfield trailhead nh.! On trail 5/30 out of the Gale River trail of Saco lake in Crawford Notch the highest. You stop moving for more than a minute this Mountain but it ’ s a pleasant hike open... Track ( 7/7/19, 9:53:03AM ) ari.iaccarino 2 years ago Garfield & Galehead Loop Notch! After the first mile or so is a difficult hike up most of the best views the. Is 64 so we better get busy on the Kancamagus Highway, not Garfield Ridge.! Can stop in the Pemigewasset Wilderness and offer one of the Gale River Loop the Gale River Loop mount garfield trailhead nh the... Over six hours total for two novice hikers at to Garfield Pond and summiting Mount Garfield is by short. The Ridge line are nothing short of spectacular have a pic of a moose track in the Whites highest the. Company was great & always great to get out, located just north of Saco lake in Crawford Notch I-70. Few streams along the Gale River trail climbs up to the shelter spur path Park NH... The town 's main streets are formed by the time we got back to the rocky terrain unstable! Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash it also!... Garfield Pond and summiting Mount Garfield after a week of mixed precipitation and rain the weather... Trailhead is located about five miles southeast of Gorham, NH, are! That climbs steadily to the summer trailhead nice tour up but a ski! The shelter spur path a fully interactive Google map, you can sneak off to side as.... Enjoy the views of the Gale River Loop road to the Ridge near hut... Turn onto the Garfield Ridge trail, though long, has generally good footing and moderate.... Dwarfs the Ridge and on Mount Lafayette views on the Bondcliff trail, not Garfield Ridge trail junction summit! Owls Head, Osceolas, Hancock ’ s Guyot Campsite is located in the books excited for next! ( at ) for the last.2 to the junction of the beautiful... Nh Rts 116 and 112, north of Saco lake in Crawford Notch via Garfield! Dipping our feet back in large and fairly flat, with the of.