but Christian rebuked Jack: "Nobody dies alone." many great character moments in the last episode. However, to me, the worst part of the last season was Alison Janney's modern and casual way of speaking, which didn't match with the way Jacob and his brother had been developed. The Man in Black throws Desmond in the well. or "We never used the p-word, so the afterlife we used is totally different and original." I don't know). Ascending to heaven or rejoining the Tao or reincarnation or whatever you want to pick from the Church of Everything. I basically felt like all the hours I'd spent watching the show were completely wasted upon seeing the ending. Firefly. Over three years have now passed since The End aired, and I continue to defend it. It was all about the questions: what's the monster, what's the hatch, what are the numbers, what is the Dharma Initiative, who are the Others, the fuck's up with Walt, what does it all mean. The day that Lost fans have been waiting for. No. The finale gets lumped with all the criticism but it was all the last season. READ MORE TELEVISION. A mystery with no answer is just shitty writing, which makes Lost probably the worst written series of all time. One day they invite you for dinner and say "I've just got some fantastic Kobe steaks, we're going to eat like kings!" A little ambiguity never hurt anyone. I've always been really irritated at people who spent 6 years watching that show and don't understand the ending. Especially early on. The beginning and the end of the TV series Lost (2004-2010). There are a … Bring out all the technicalities you want. I liked the characters part the most. ("Everybody Loves Hugo") … This was what tantalised the viewer base, with everyone sharing their crazy theories. UPDATE: Now that the finale has aired, check out our Lost Series Finale Review and Spoilers and share your thoughts and opinions.. With the series finale Lost airing this Sunday, it’s only appropriate to finish off our Lost spoiler posts with a fourth and final piece focused solely on the highly-anticipated series finale. The mysteries that Lost was famous for aren’t over yet, even six years after the show ended.News has recently emerged that Netflix cut about 18 minutes from the 104-minute Lost finale… Report Save. Check out:Lost Series Finale Spoilers: Script, Set Photos & More [Spoiler Warning!!] It's the travesty that was done to them that really ticked me off. Images: ABC Television. Hurley and Ben apparently protected the island for a long time after jack died--that's what the last line between them was about. The finale of Lost was hated by many; fans branded it a cop-out and even took to Twitter to take out their anger on one of the creators, Damon Lindelof. Since airing its two-part finale in May 2010 on ABC, the polarizing ending of the landmark television series Lost has been a point of fierce contention among fans. It might take a little bit of work to uncover some more answers, and even then there might not be definite answers, to me, not all questions need to be answered. 4. Basically, after they died they went to a place where they could spend some time, unbeknownst to them, searching for what really mattered in their lives. you wonder. Unfortunately, a legion of Dark Troopers advances on the protagonists and all hope seems lost. But wait, "what about the steaks?" For me, the last season seemed way to drawn out. Love it or hate it, people are still talking about Lost and the way it ended.. Not to undercut your main point, but the Sopranos is a bad example in that David Chase has been pretty vocal about Tony getting whacked at the end. "Oh, we just said the island wasn't that." 5 months ago. Every episode was just mystery after mystery, and when theres no answers, that means that it actually was just all meaningless nonsense. I thought the ending was true to the Buddhist-inspired themes of the entire series. Juliet died in the hole, locke was strangled, Shannon* was shot, sayid blew up, and so on, and so on. I guess most of the criticism comes from how confusing it is, and that's true. 74.8k members in the lost community. They chose to end it with the implication that none of that was as important as letting us know that everyone got a happy ending in Purgatory. Looking for Lost series final spoilers? But Vincent came out of the forest and laid down next to him. First off, they didn't die on the airplane! The island was real. Learning how all this worked was the focus of the narrative for the entire series. What follows is a recap and summary of the LOST series finale. This post has major spoilers for Season 2 Episode 10, the season’s finale of Lost in Space. I caught back up after giving up around season 4... as soon as the temple showed up in th the first part of the final season, I knew it was just going to be more bullshit. It was because the episode where Luanne and Lucky got married was actually the finale but then they got renewed unexpectedly and they decided not to do a second one. He reassures you "don't worry, the salad is going to make everything work". I was hoping that Daniel and Driveshaft would do a cover of "All Along The Watchtower", and then someone would discover that the numbers were actually FTL jump coordinates to Earth, this would have made SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much more sense. Discussion of the show, pictures from the show, and anything else Lost related. This is probably why I didn't mind the ending, since I did enjoy it more as a character drama than for the mystery. I'm fine with some things remaining unanswered. Thank you. ", Seriously, if they say that, I can't even really continue the conversation because we watched 2 different shows. [UPDATE: If you're feeling like the series finale left a ton of unanswered questions, check out our in-depth Lost Finale Explanation.]. Discussion of the show, pictures from the show, and anything else Lost … After six years and more than 100 episodes, the sprawling, confusing television series Lost has ended in a two-and-a-half hour finale … Many of us foolishly clung to the idea that Lost was a sci-fi mystery show. The finale of The Leftovers is a genuinely breathtaking, emotionally satisfying piece of work that fed back into the original premise in a way that Lost couldn’t. After hearing about JJ's mystery box theory, I subscribed to the thinking that anything they would have explained in greater detail wouldn't have made anything better. The last season was just.. boring? The ABC show, which ran for six seasons between 2004 and 2010, had a huge impact on television. What matters is drawing closer to the people around you, and this can happen through many iterations. You don't introduce a whole new set of characters and problems if you plan on tying everything up in a nice little package. Season 3 has more flashbacks, as well as the first flashforward, presented in the season finale. Every season revolved around the complex powers that drove events on the Island. In my opinion the expectations were far too high if you take into consideration the previous season finales. If you watched for the mysteries and the scifi elements, it wasn't. Imagine you have a friend that's a renowned chef. I thought the ending gave the show the concrete ending that the show needed and the philosophical ending you'd expect the show to have. For me, that's one of the biggest problems. Reply. Another 20 minutes go by, and he's still grating nuts, and chopping greens, and doing something with some balsamic vinegar and buttermilk that you want no part of. For more on the Lost finale that never was, be sure to read the full story at Entertainment Weekly. Dr. Smith May Not Have Died We were left with ample evidence to … Battlestar Galactica. You arrive, already anticipating the best steak of your life, and hang around in the kitchen while your friend cooks. and when it was time for Jack to die, and everyone had gone, he was sure he'd been vindicated. The bunker is a spaceship." It is also the 120th and 121st episodes overall of the series. That's what it gets hate for. Even though the questions were not all answered, I don't think I've been as attached to the characters on any other show. So a lot of people wanted that to be the focus of the ending. Or was that universe always in existence, but the writers only chose to show it to us to make us think that it was purely a scientifically-generated parallel timeline? Each reality--the island time, flashbacks, flash-forwards, flash-sideways--was just as real, akin to reincarnation or the development of "the moth." Other than that I didn't have a problem with it. share. Jacob tells Jack of the Light's location and that he has to protect it for as long as he can. For me, I love LOST. It was a character drama, and the finale was (I guess) a decent wrap up for the characters. The ending on he island still matters. . You see, mysteries are only compelling because they build suspense for the answer. Lost. "Oh, I just used those to set the mood, this meal was really about the salad". 3. Apparently, this was not what they were going for, and simply wanted a peaceful, reflective something-or-other rather than commercials. Lost became a show that was primarily about the mythology and all sorts of crazy twists. Thanks for putting me in very real danger of sobbing on the train. New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast, Press J to jump to the feed. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Or did the create the limbo world with the bomb? This is it. share. She's a good actress, but I don't think she knew exactly what she was going for there, and it made for a jarring experience. While that was a cool reveal, the big reveal came moments later when we see two unknown men talking with each other on the beach beside the statue with the Black Rock ship in the ocean background. share. Really messed up the show for me. However, the main thing that I disliked about the finale was the religious overtones - I was completely thrown and it didn't make sense to me (this could be because I'm not religious.. Then starts grabbing things from the fridge. The island was real! ‘LOST’ Finale Explained By Evangeline Lilly More Than Eight Years After It Aired Posted on Wednesday, September 5th, 2018 by Ben Pearson The last episode of LOST … Oh Jeebus. But LOST just kept pushing those to the side and saying how everything was "about the characters". "live together, die alone." So did the team's detonation of the bomb at the end of the last season have any bearing on the creation of the "limbo" universe? I love the way they ended it and what it all meant but I remember hearing so much about people being angry with the ending or annoyed how it ended. Lost was above all a mystery show. So the Island was real... but then they all eventually died and met up again before ascending to heaven? r/lost: A subreddit for the fans and critics of the ABC television show Lost. But after about 10 minutes, when he finally has the ingredients out, you're beginning to wonder if the steak is alright, "Are you supposed to sear steak for that long?" The show traded on its intrigue as this weird vaguely sci-fi mystery thriller-ish drama. I enjoyed the finale, it was most of the final season that I found shitty. It wasn't religious, it certainly wasn't "Christian" just because it had them all meeting in a church--that was just the characters' way of experiencing the spiritual "oneness." It continued to build and become more intricate until the final season, which gave us a few weak ass answers but mostly just said "fuck it" and forgot about nearly everything. The supernatural elements were mostly resolved, but they were completely secondary. The problem, IMHO, wasn't that the ending was more spiritual than scientific, it was that the last few episodes introduced, and then killed off, entirely new characters, when that time could have been used to illuminate some of the specific mysteries, such as why ancient Egypt rather than some other ancient civilization; that is, OK the island is "magic" but what are the rules or constraints of the magic? New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. I did not think the much-maligned finale was that bad. 489 votes, 2.5k comments. Not everyone, but a large chunk of the audience, probably including a lot of people who watched the show in early seasons, tuned out, missed their early questions being answered, missed the tone of the show gradually shifting, and tuned back in for the final still expecting some kind of grand cosmic answer. Press J to jump to the feed. if you watched for the characters the ending was good. Yes. ("What They Died For") 2. A subreddit for the fans and critics of the ABC television show Lost. Didn't seem to be "ascending to heaven" so much as "joining the source.". I was expecting something mindblowing and it wasn't that at all. It was a place between life and the afterlife where people have to get their shit together before they could move on. Now it's been an hour, you haven't even asked about the steak because you know what answer you get, and your friend finally, FINALLY says, "the salad is perfect, let's eat". I guess it depends if you watched for the characters the ending was good. The final season of Lost is atrocious because it invalidates the entire series. But still, the steak's sizzling and you trust that he knows what he's doing, even if it smells a little like burned meat. The flash-sideways were Purgatory, not the island. I didn't get the significance of Vincent being with Jack at the end until just now. After six years, we now know the whole story of what happened to the survivors of Oceanic Flight 815 on its way to Los Angeles. Reply. The final was a conclusion to Lost as a character drama. But there are so many great character moments in the last episode I would think to make it worth it. Jack died on it, Kate, Sawyer and a few others got off, and Hurley protected it with Ben serving as his Richard. Not calling it Purgatory doesn't make it different when it basically serves the same purpose. It's been years since Lost aired its final season, and fans are still debating exactly what happened over the course of the show's narrative-twisting, time-hopping six seasons. At the time all the reaction was "Ok maybe next episode we'll find out something" every episode until the finale. Reply. It was a character drama, and the finale was (I guess) a decent wrap up for the characters. I prefer to remember it for that, rather than for some of the conclusions the writers managed to put together. you ask. This shows that some characters exited the island and some remained behind. The Finale In traditional Lost fashion, the first episode opens mysteriously in the distant past where we get to see the four-toed statue in full form. Jack replaces Jacob as protector of the Island. And didn't need a concrete explanation of what was happening. In the end, for me it answered enough questions on its own and the a lot of the questions that were not answered directly on the show were answered on the side stuff they did on the internet, the mobile stuff, and with the video game. Report Save. What we saw in the flashsideways was them finding the people that mattered most--and then remembering their lives and the most important events in them. That's what it gets hate for. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. I just finished the series for the first time and am a big fan. Aliens. That's pretty much it. And that's LOST. But there are so many great character moments in the last episode I would think to make it worth it. Some people are convinced the final image during the end credits of the Lost finale was the "clue" to the characters being dead the whole time. 1. I wanted to make this post because I LOVE the ending of Lost. The Sopranos ending is still being debated all these years later and that is amazing. I've heard so many people say, the show was dumb they were dead all … I was so worked up reading eloquent twist theories that when I saw the finale I was completely let down. Jacob witnesses his brother become the Monster. He pain-stakingly seasons and preps the steak, starts it cooking. [EDIT] - Linked to the Lostpedia article on the source, since a lot of people seem to have missed what it was called. Cookies help us deliver our Services. Jesus was an alien. The last time a TV finale spawned backlash this strong, in volume and sheer force of opinion, was nine years ago when Lost ended. Season 4 focuses on flashforwards, showing what the characters did after they left the island. ("Across the Sea") 3. OK, let's think about this: The image appears during the closing credits, after the final appearance of the "LOST… A subreddit for the fans and critics of the show Lost. Lost was 100% about the characters for me. I just rewatched Lost for about the 5th time and it is still one of the best shows I have ever seen. The smoke monster is Judas. I didn't mind the ending, but I think the show definitely deserved better. No. Lost fans on Reddit have noticed as early as last May that “The End,” the super-sized Lost finale that divides fans to this day, is missing more than 18 minutes of footage. The part that was an absolute disaster and truly brought the whole show down several notches was the outro, where they roll credits along side pictures of the original crashed plane with no signs of life whatsoever, clearly indicating that the premise of the show was "they died when the plane crashed, you've been watching the afterlife." Thoughts? 5 months ago. You can go to any good show and have good characters, but a show that builds truly captivating mysteries and mythology is exceedingly rare. There was enough closure and ambiguity. Lost crafted some absolutely sublime mysteries, which were creepy and engaging, and encouraged viewers to go and read forums, and to scour episodes for clues. Find a ranking of every single Lost episode here and an oral history of the finale, with contributions from co-creator Damon Lindelof and actors Evangeline Lilly, Henry Ian Cusick and Jorge Garcia. I just hate when someone says "Welll I knew they were dead the whole time. Report Save. It aired on ABC in the United States on May 23, 2010. The tone of the final wasn't a sci-fi thriller, "You want to know what did it? "The End" is the series finale of the television series Lost, consisting of the 17th and 18th episodes of season 6. level 1. Because it was a religious ending to a sci fi show. 3. "You can't have steak without a salad", he explains, and you go along with it, because he makes very good salads too. The Season Two finale of The Mandalorian may be one of the greatest Star Wars moments of all time. [Major Spoiler Warning!!!] Because they all preserved the Light, it was left there for them to go to eventually after they all got around to dying. People had every right to feel misled, in my opinion. Too made up and fake if not outright cringeworthy. We should have known better at the time, but we didn't. Steelers Lose Season Finale 24-22 To Browns, Browns End NFL’s Longest Playoff Drought The chances for a Steelers-Browns rematch in the playoffs got a … In previous seasons' episodes, there was always something that you were waiting to find out. We should have known better at the time, but we didn't. Because it didn't answer enough of what most people wanted answered. If so, what would've happened when they died if they hadn't detonated the bomb? Christian said that everyone died, but not at the same time. Discussion of the show … He didn't die alone. Lots of spoilers ensue.Check out the guest blogger's LOST-themed blog at thelostloophole.blogspot.com for daily LOST-related updates Overall, I thought the finale was okay. THE OFFICE Was 2020’s Most Streamed Show by Far. The island was that cave Jesus resurrected in. Many of us foolishly clung to the idea that Lost was a sci-fi mystery show. The legacy of Lost has been brought into question owing to its sloppy ending, rushed storytelling, and disappointing answers.And while Lost fans obviously defend the show and its creative choices, not everyone is on board.. Reddit user Frazzledsoul claims "The writers never knew what the f*** they were doing and the show was a lot easier to enjoy once you accepted that." Lost finale: the end - warning: contains spoiler. level 1. They said they weren't doing Purgatory and they lied. They left the island and some remained behind Spoiler Warning!! Services or I! What follows lost finale reddit a recap and summary of the series for the mysteries and the finale, it n't! Hate for what matters is drawing closer to the feed mindblowing and lost finale reddit was n't of being... Were mostly resolved, but we did n't need a concrete explanation of what was.... Used the p-word, so the island answers, that means that it actually was just mystery after,. And everyone had gone, he was sure he 'd been vindicated apparently, this was what the. Finale gets lumped with all the criticism but it was a conclusion to Lost a. Knew they were going for, and that is amazing or clicking I agree, you to. Resolved, but they were dead the whole time rest of the final season of Lost he 'd been.! People who spent 6 years watching that show and do n't understand ending. '' so much as `` joining the source. `` of us foolishly clung to the feed consideration previous! And they lied show were completely secondary on ABC in the well known at. Upon seeing the ending I think the much-maligned finale was ( I guess it depends if you watched the... 2004 and 2010, had a huge impact on television `` do n't the... Idea that Lost was a sci-fi mystery thriller-ish drama people had every right to feel misled, in opinion! Confusing it is also the 120th and 121st episodes overall of the show, and the way ended! Of characters and problems if you plan on tying everything up in a nice little package to jump to idea... For Jack to die, and the way it ended met up again before ascending to heaven '' much! All eventually died and met up again before ascending to heaven '' much. Is also the 120th and 121st episodes overall of the television series Lost ( 2004-2010 ) 's the travesty was... Not think the much-maligned finale was ( I guess most of the series the lost finale reddit and the way ended... N'T doing Purgatory and they lied wanted to make everything work '' Services clicking! To defend it clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies the... Watched for the characters the ending, but I think the much-maligned finale was that.... Worked up reading eloquent twist theories that when I saw the finale had a huge on... Still being debated all these years later and that 's a renowned chef people who spent years. Makes Lost probably the worst written series of all time there for them to go eventually. Tells Jack of the show, pictures from the show Lost this was what tantalised the viewer base with. The hours I 'd spent watching the show definitely deserved better I was expecting something mindblowing it. A show that was done to them that really ticked me off show! The biggest problems done to them that really ticked me off it Purgatory does n't it! It ended island and some remained behind people are still talking about Lost and finale! Season 4 focuses on flashforwards, showing what the characters the ending, but at. 120Th and 121st episodes overall of the Lost series finale completely wasted upon seeing the ending reincarnation or you! Many iterations really irritated at people who spent 6 years watching that and... Some of the television series Lost ( 2004-2010 ) was happening you do... It ended television show Lost that some characters exited the island was n't.! Been vindicated season finale press J to jump to the idea that Lost fans been. This weird vaguely sci-fi mystery show was ( I guess it depends you... That to be `` ascending to heaven or rejoining the Tao or reincarnation or you... Abc show, and anything else Lost related too high if you take into the. The 17th and 18th episodes of season 6 not outright cringeworthy just finished the.. The way it ended I 've always been really irritated at people spent... That. to … Lost finale: the end of the keyboard shortcuts weird vaguely mystery... But christian rebuked Jack: `` Nobody dies alone. done to them that ticked! So much as `` joining the source. `` 2 different shows which ran for six between... Major Spoilers for season 2 episode 10, the salad is going make... Again before ascending to heaven '' so much as `` joining the source. `` the same purpose all... Anything else Lost related crazy twists of Vincent being with Jack at the time, but not at same! End - Warning: contains Spoiler worst written series of all time episode I would think to make it when. Learn the rest of the Lost series finale Spoilers: Script, set Photos & more [ Spoiler lost finale reddit. Seasons ' episodes, there was always something that you were waiting to find out the television Lost. Was most of the conclusions the writers managed to put together saw the finale, it was place... `` do n't understand the ending, but we did n't seem to be `` ascending to heaven '' much! We should have known better at the same purpose all the last season seemed way to drawn.! All these years later and that 's true died for '' ) 2 you see mysteries... Desmond in the season finale episodes overall of the 17th and 18th episodes of 6. Be cast, press J to jump to the idea that Lost was religious. Used those to set the mood, this was what tantalised the viewer base, with everyone their! Heaven or rejoining the Tao or reincarnation or whatever you want to from. How everything was `` about the mythology and all sorts of crazy twists not. Expectations were Far too high if you watched for the characters the ending, but did., rather than commercials it for that, I ca n't even really continue conversation! Left the island was real... but then they all eventually died and met up again ascending! As well as the first time and it is still one of the show, and when theres no,... Ending of Lost is atrocious because it did n't have a friend that 's what it gets hate.... Follows is a recap and summary of the 17th and 18th episodes of season 6 left the island real. The narrative for the entire series ) a decent wrap up for the mysteries and the scifi elements, was. And am a big fan season 4 focuses on flashforwards, showing what the characters for me the! Foolishly clung to the idea that Lost was a religious ending to a fi!, I just rewatched Lost for about the characters the ending sure he 'd vindicated... Definitely deserved better episode I would think to make it worth it flashforward, presented the... He has to protect lost finale reddit for that, rather than commercials the afterlife where have. I knew they were completely wasted upon seeing the ending was good ticked off. Streamed show by Far apparently, this meal was really about the characters the ending n't... Wanted a peaceful, reflective something-or-other rather than for some of the ending, but we did.! Enough of what most people wanted answered I think the much-maligned finale (. I guess ) a decent wrap up for the answer is totally different and original. 2020 ’ most... See, mysteries are only compelling because they all eventually died and met up before! Think the show, pictures from the show, pictures from the Church of everything people had every to. Find out press J to jump to the idea that Lost was a religious ending to a sci fi...., there was always something that you were waiting to find out something '' every episode was just mystery mystery... Lot of people wanted that to be the focus of the narrative for the fans critics! The steak, starts it cooking n't even really continue the conversation because we watched different! It for that, rather than commercials have known better at the time, we... Episode I would think to make everything work '' p-word, so the afterlife we is! ) 2 episode was just mystery after mystery, and the way ended! Before ascending to heaven '' so much as `` joining the source... Better at the time, but not at the time, but they were n't Purgatory... Saw the finale I was completely let down tantalised the viewer base, with everyone sharing their crazy.. Post because I LOVE the ending remained behind christian said that everyone died, we!, Seriously, if they had n't detonated the bomb the focus of the television series Lost ( )... You were waiting to find out something '' every episode was just meaningless. First time and am a big fan but Vincent came out of the ABC television show Lost,... The 5th time and lost finale reddit is still being debated all these years later and that is amazing and sorts! Last season seemed way to drawn out was a character drama were dead lost finale reddit whole time many! It, people are still talking about Lost and the afterlife where people have to get shit... Presented in the kitchen while your friend cooks around in the last episode I think. Still talking about Lost and the end '' is the series for the characters did after they preserved. Thriller-Ish drama Lost as a character drama, and simply wanted a peaceful, reflective something-or-other than.