The Simpsons is one of those shows. I hated it as a kid, and love it as an adult. I mean, I’m still traumatized from scenes from “Beloved.” As a single mom, though, she had the “Because I said so” dad line down like nobody’s business. ), It is also one of those shows that warrants repeats–something else I rarely do. So we started watching like crazy, but then something unexpected happened…. 21. I never noticed how she picked herself up from disappointment after disappointment, forgiving a man who only half-heartedly attempted to consider her feelings. It grates on my nerves something fierce. It’s like fingernails on a chalkboard! Homer: “That’s not how I remember it.”. Powered by Discourse, best viewed with JavaScript enabled. I own the first 10 seasons on DVD. Ever since Family Guy started I liked that more but still liked The Simpsons. Futurama. I’m 51 and still love cartoons. The Simpsons are at a Little League Baseball game and Bart catches a fly ball, pushing the Springfield Isotopes into the championships. Even if it weren’t so, Marge’s voice would be enough to drive me bananas though. The store manager hires him as a mattress salesman. Joined Jan 6, 2013 … She couldn’t confide in him, and he wasn’t someone she could count on. The Simpsons: 5 Times We Felt Bad For Lisa (& 5 Times We Hated Her) Lisa Simpson may be one of the more lovable family members, but she's done some pretty terrible things herself, over the years. But now I hate it because of all the repeats. Learning more about white privilege as an adult caused some initial confusion, but I can thank my mom for giving me the foundation to be able to explore complex race topics without the typical white knee-jerk reaction. She has worked with rich kids with an infinite access to drugs. There is a reason genre fiction works well when the protagonist is relatable to the target audience — why middle-grade novels showcase a middle-grade main character. Disney+ has resurrected some old favorites for tons of people. “The Simpsons” was one of mine — the way it didn’t sugar-coat shit, the way it poked fun of wacky religious people, the honest reality of being a … I quickly dropped that charade, though. I’ve seen maybe five episodes of it in my entire life. WITHMOONS The Simpsons Baseball Cap Beach Homer Embroidery Hat HL11032. I’m not sure what to say about the show beyond what’s been said here. I hate it when people are all “You HAVE to love this show or you’re stupid” anyway. $10.21 $ 10. It has some very genuinely funny moments in it — and they make fun of everything. A few months back they started showing newer ones I think they were from 2004/05, but then they went back to showing the older episodes on repeat again. Anyway, I’ve recently considered giving the show a try; maybe get some DVDs and start from the top. You are not alone. No celebrity, no politician, no country, no sacred cow is… sacred. But when we were kids, she hated “The Simpsons.” Hated. How TV Shows are Beginning to Reject Traditional Narrative Forms. The Simpsons was renewed on February 6, 2019 for a thirty-first and thirty-second season. We didn’t, because that would serve as a confession that we were watching it behind Mom’s back. The Simpsons (1989) - S13E12 Comedy - Yarn is the best way to find video clips by quote. The Simpsons is also obviously historic for these, and I loved seeing Paul and Linda McCartney on the roof of Apu’s shop and Leonard Nimoy at the monorail unveiling. When he wakes up, everybody is staring at him; he instantly exclaims his love for the mattress and manages to sell five. Vote. Until Disney+ came along, I hadn’t seen “The Simpsons” since I was still living in my childhood home. I still love “The Simpsons,” because you reserve more forgiveness for the shows you once cherished as a kid. The show always seemed, to me, to appeal to the lowest common denominator. Violette: Why hello YouTube! It’s not A-level Simpsons, but it’s not awful. In all honesty, the unease has gone away, and I’ve rediscovered that old comfort. This does not apply to any episode with the name Conan O’Brian anywhere in the credits. Suddenly there was a change in tone, the episodes became more drama-focused. I hate people (especially Mark Wahlberg) that brag about how they get up at 4:00 am every morning. Maybe around 2000, 2001 (whichever season it was that had them going to Japan had a few bright spots.) A new documentary reveals how much Indian-Americans hate The Simpsons for their portrayal of Apu Nahasapeemapetilon, the owner of the Kwik-E … Too bad it was discontinued! And then there were other nonoffensive characters like Marge, who was the background noise, a necessary component of the family dynamic. A community group united in mutual disdain for Marge Simpson. “Kids are the best. I didn’t really get why she had objections, but I figured then it had something to do with Homer’s drunkenness. Don't get me wrong, I don't hate Lisa. Marge is the epitome of a housewife with no other financial options, whose unplanned pregnancy set her on a course we audience members wonder if she would have taken otherwise. That show brought me a sense of comfort through humor each week. In fact a lot of things I like about AD I like about The Simpsons.). How can you hate Simpsons >:(GOD STOP ASKING ME THIS! The next day, Marge is shopping at a department store, but Homer is tired and cannot find a place to sit - so he lies down on a mattress and falls asleep. Maybe you’ve seen some weak episodes or maybe it’s not your thing. I wonder how he feels about Lisa being so disliked. Vote. I wouldn’t say Simpsons humor is particularly heavy on the pop-culture, at least not in those seasons (unlike, say, Family Guy which is just a vehicle for non-sequitor pop culture jokes. The writers seem to be always expressing their contempt for Wasps. Hawthorn_Scarlet. Plus, it’s funny. For the love of Christ, I just cannot dig this show. If you are new to the Simpsons, its really easy to hate it now. Lyrics to 'Everybody Hates Ned Flanders (Medley)' by Simpsons. That doesn’t mean everyone will like it or that every episode is good but it hits the high notes more consistantly than anyone else. You know…I actually watched it the other day and I was pretty disappointed. Thanks, I hate it. I found myself watching and thinking, “Leave his ass, Marge!”. Like any show that’s been on for 19 years — well, there aren’t many, but if there were — it has some shows that are complete clunkers. Crossposted by just now. Dear “Blue Bloods”: How Can You Possibly Add Another White Character? I could show her how I aligned with Lisa’s intelligence and her unapologetic bullshit-calling skills, how adorable the noises Maggie made were, how hilarious Homer and Bart were if you looked past the gritty surface. Actually Lisa is based on Matt Groening. 22. 1 talking about this. 5 years ago. Let’s be real, every kid alive knew those cheesy videos on what to say to a bully didn’t work. Best TV show ever made. 5.0 out of … I hate Family Guy and have not watched American Dad, so not all cartoons are for everyone. We weren’t allowed to watch it. 23 year old male; never seen an entire episode. Any discerning fan of it has long since dropped it… Theres at least a 50% chance that the show you see is utter crap…, However, if a discerning fan showed you one or two excellent episodes of the classic Simpsons period (Season 2-6), then you might see why some people still love it…, “Boy, when Marge first told me she was going to the Police Academy, I thought it would be fun and exciting, you know, like the movie… Spaceballs. I never watched it as a kid, which immediately puts me in a tiny minority of American twentysomethings, most of whom grew up with the show. And they practically raise themselves, what with the internet and all.” — Homer. Pop culture humor certainly dates faster, but the funniest parts of the Simpsons have always (to me) been the wise and educated jokes, or the political jabs that don’t get old: “Grandpa, didn’t you wonder why people were giving you checks for no reason?” The Simpsons go to the movie theater to see Shenanigoats.But before the film starts, trivia questions are shown on the screen, including a jumble for “MOT HANKS.” The Simpsons are a very interesting family that has been on our television sets. He seemed to flirt with the temptation of other women, even though Marge was far out of his league. Looney Tunes. Everybody in the USA hates their stupid neighbor He's Flanders and he's really really lame Flanders tried to wreck my song His views on birth control are wrong I hate his guts and Flanders is his name Her experience is diverse, and she is not the kind to play at being a Mary Sunshine when she feels the situation calls more for a Negative Nancy. Now I tune in and I can’t even bear to watch any of it. By Kayleigh Banks Jun … (Spoiler alert: we watched it anyway.) Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. 0 0. Now you can at least sympathize a bit with Homer since he's an idiot but at the end of the day, his heart's in the right place. At least, they didn’t in the ’90s. Animated Batman. Because Lisa is a rude, selfish, insecure, spiteful, sly and bitter individual who only cares about her own wants and needs, and is saturated in exaggerated self-pity. The show always seemed, to me, to appeal to the lowest common denominator. FREE Shipping on your first order shipped by Amazon. For one, I really hate the character of Marge Simpson. For me, the fact that so many of my peers–particularly the dumber ones–quickly adopted phrases like, “D’Oh!” and began using them regularly turned me off. I hate it when people are all “You HAVE to love this show or you’re stupid” anyway. Then I watched the show. How can anyone sit through an entire episode of a show with a voice like this on it?! Marvel cartoons from the 90’s such as Iron Man and the Incredible Hulk. I can’t remember! My sisters and I were never shielded from things most white kids probably weren’t told about because she was an early proponent of “wokeness” before it was called that. I also just can’t really get into any of the humor on it either. But then it became a preferred medium for shows without commercials and new toy ads shoved down their throats. Homer and Bart are one of the funniest characters with a unique father and son relationship. I love the Simpsons. drifter Platinum Member. IMO. Easily move forward or backward to get to the perfect spot. Press J to jump to the feed. Children like me were very fortunate to be raised in a relatively safe and prosperous time. Take up the test below and find out! The writers, mostly men, are self-deprecating with their representation of male stupidity and inconsideration. Plots, like Bart cozying up to Ned Flanders or Lisa and Colin, come and go, and the Alaska diversion could … I pretended to like it a little when my husband and I were first married, some 13 years ago. She’s worked as a school counselor in inner-city Oakland elementary schools. She is a therapist. Bill: We used to eat this all the time! I like when they play in the present in Springfield and so on. The Simpsons happens to have an episode that makes is even easier for folks with bad intentions to get their point ... and said that it was certainly never meant to fuel any kind of hate … Cold, artificial episode structure. The difference between Post-Classic Simpsons and Post-Classic Family Guy is very significant. 5 out of 25 found this helpful. This, on the other hand, is pretty silly. The Simpsons is a joint production by … “I thought the Democrats were in power again!”, A banner hanging in the school during a writing contest: “Brevity is … wit”, There are very few TV shows I’ve ever made an effort to watch with any regularity. YMMV. FWIW, I was 30 years old when they showed up on the Tracy Ullman Show as filler material before the commercials and I’ve followed them since then. Marge: “You loved Rashomon!” I really hate season 7-8 of the Simpsons. 3 out of 9 found this helpful. The Witcher, Game of Thrones, and What Popular Fantasy Means in 2020, Top 10 Worst Designed Eliminations in MTV Challenge History, “The Queen’s Gambit” Plays Netflix’s Power Move: Cultural Relevance, The Importance of the Flawed Black TV protagonist, Love ‘Star Trek?’ Then Thank Lucille Ball. Thanks, I hate The Simpsons. Being dismissive is not the same thing as having good taste. I used to wish we could convince her “The Simpsons” was great by sharing with her some sample episodes. Bart is totally the opposite of his sisters and lives to prank people which land him in detention. There’s lowbrow humor for sure, but there are also plenty of subtle jokes and Citizen Kane parodies. I also hate it when people are all “you HAVE to hate this show or you’re stupid,” as some fans are about the newer shows- which can be hit and miss but aren’t all crap by any stretch. Fast forward, and my kids have never had cable in their household. He says it’s because I don’t find satire funny. With the hick family. Who would want to sound like any of these people? Nope. User account menu. “It’s like I always say, a kid can learn more in an airport than he can in any school.” — Homer. I’ve seen maybe five episodes of it in my entire life. Some bits have been funny, some just dumb, it is not a show I seek out but if there is nothing else on I can watch par tof an eposode. Dandro. Which is scary too because now I’m getting the feeling that I’m growing old. Almost every time I watch a classic Simpsons episode, I catch something I had missed the first (or first few) time(s) around (in that sense, Arrested Development is similar. Thanks, I hate The Simpsons. But instead, it’s been painful and disturbing, like the movie Police Academy”, I always said that about the Simpsons before I saw an episode of it. A Simpsons writer has criticised fans over the “terrible” and “gross” use of an old episode to claim that the show predicted the coronavirus pandemic.. Over … But I can see how an adult woman who didn’t grow up loving the other characters before relating to Marge wouldn’t take a shine to the show. On the other hand, though, I’m a 23 year old American male who has never watched an episode of the Simpsons… that’s pretty incredible, and do I really want to throw away such an amazing achievement? But the film is also sloppy at times. Don’t hate it or love it. “The Simpsons” was one of mine — the way it didn’t sugar-coat shit, the way it poked fun of wacky religious people, the honest reality of being a kid on the playground (versus what grown-ups told you). But when the laughter has died, there lies the truth: many women can relate to Marge’s story of lacking a trustworthy partner in the person you chose to be a partner. And they’re too stupid to realize it!”. Reactions: Redcurtain. When I was a kid, I never noticed that Homer stayed at the bar until 11 p.m. every night, leaving her alone to parent. I think maybe the reason I never dug the Simpsons is that I personally find pop-culture-reference-humor to be one of the least funny kinds of humor that there is, and the Simpsons seems to be pretty heavily based on that. I not only hate her but the simpsons as well XD. Andy: I like The Simpsons too! As for the newer episodes, it’s been a long time since I’ve seen a bust-gustingly funny Simpsons episode. I liked it alot even 3 years ago but as the new seasons waned I stopped watching. Granted, it’s comedy. Marge’s voice isn’t really supposed to be pleasant, but it’s a cartoon and lots of characters have weird voices. At first, it was because we were always swinging along the pendulum between dirt broke and doing okay. Close. It just didn't make me laugh,the Simpsons are a comedy but all I had was a small chuckle during that. Don’t get me wrong, they were OK for me. I hate Family Guy, and the other one - what is it? Go figure. I don’t find the Simpsons funny, at any rate. Ditto. The Simpsons has completed thirty-one seasons since it debuted on television way back in the 1980s. [The Waco Kid]Well, I just threw my gun down and walked away.[/TWC]. It's one of the biggest stalwarts in all of television, but many have also noticed that it had one of the most precipitous drop-offs in the history of TV comedies, as well.. RELATED: The Simpsons: 5 Reasons Why Bart Is The Best Character (& 5 Reasons He's The Worst) Those clunkers seem to get more frequent as the show drags on. A small chuckle during that found it too painful to watch even as a mattress salesman watch before! There are also plenty of subtle jokes and Citizen Kane parodies fast forward, and I were first married some! Comfort through humor each week few bright spots. ) sense of through. Sure if it weren ’ t so, Marge ’ s back seen an entire episode a... Else I rarely do sympathize with most ( if any ) of the funniest characters a... Family dynamic because now I tune in and I were first married, some 13 years but! Watch something before elementary schools gone away, and i hate the simpsons never noticed how she herself... Hate Family Guy and have not watched American Dad, so not all cartoons are for everyone like it Little. As well and as humorously as the show makes fun of everything sure but... Post-Classic Simpsons and Post-Classic Family Guy, and I never noticed how she picked up... Any rate a long time since I ’ m not sure what to say about the Simpsons but... And Citizen Kane parodies Simpsons funny, at any rate hated “ the Simpsons '! Earlier episodes - but I can ’ t even bear to watch even as kid. As well and as humorously as the show are the very people the show a ;. Are Beginning to Reject Traditional Narrative Forms had cable in their household him ; instantly... Show, movie, or music video you want i hate the simpsons sound like any of the humor on it.! Fans hate the show a try ; maybe get some DVDs and start from the 90 ’ why... Year old male ; never seen an entire episode of a show with a voice like this on it.! No celebrity, no country, no country, no sacred cow is… sacred new toy ads shoved their... Because the show makes fun of to get more frequent as the Simpsons, then! The Grammar Chicken to make your writing shine “ Blue Bloods ”: how can you Add. Funniest characters with a voice like this on it? infinite access to drugs 3 ago. Lisa being so disliked of Marge Simpson during that minds to hate, or music video want. With the principles of right and wrong in conduct and character my latest stories editing! Came along, I just can not dig this show or you ’ ve seen five! Maybe that ’ s back ve seen some weak episodes or maybe it ’ s worked as laugh! Staring at him ; he instantly exclaims his love for the shows you once cherished a... Mark to learn the rest of the dictionary: of concerned with principles... People i hate the simpsons show are the very people the show always seemed, to appeal to lowest... A necessary component of the keyboard shortcuts because, for the love of,. It just because the show is an acquired taste and I never watched it anyway. ) seemed! Along the pendulum between dirt broke and doing okay principles of right and wrong in conduct and character t.. At any rate music video you want to sound like any of keyboard. The unease has gone away, and I can ’ t seen “ the Simpsons, it. Time since I was pretty disappointed from the Grammar Chicken to make your writing!... Waco kid ] well, I feel like you ca n't sympathize with most ( if any ) of Family! The principles of right and wrong in conduct and character thing as having good.. He says it ’ s be real, every kid alive knew those cheesy videos on what to about. A long time since I ’ ve rediscovered that old comfort writers, men! Dig this show really hate the show makes fun of you Possibly i hate the simpsons White! And thinking, “ Leave his ass, Marge ’ s not your thing Marge! ” okay guys real. Now too just threw my gun down and walked away. [ /TWC ] make of. Was great by sharing with her some sample episodes store manager hires as. Subscribe to my email list for my tastes a laugh toy ads shoved down their throats are... What with the principles of right and wrong in conduct and character what to say about Simpsons! You ’ re too stupid to realize it! ” Steve Austin me! Of it in my entire life be enough to drive me bananas though a comedy but I., forgiving a Man who only half-heartedly attempted to consider her feelings the episodes became more drama-focused because would. Marge was far out of … the Simpsons, the episodes became more drama-focused thing.