Currently you have JavaScript disabled. Report. I know people say that a lot of times, but we were kept at home. [D G F Db Ab Eb Bb Abm Ebm Fm] Chords for Hazel Dickens performs "West Virginia, My Home" at the 1978 Smithsonian Folklife Festival with capo transposer, play along with guitar, piano, ukulele & mandolin. JL. We never lived right in the coal camp because [my father] was not a coal miner. Music Classes and other songs. Learn how to play your favorite songs with Ultimate Guitar huge database. I remember kind of, not really. It was sort of like a hillbilly ghetto, you know. We didn’t know anybody outside of the people that came from back there [in the mountains]. Hazel Jane Dickens (June 1, 1935 – April 22, 2011) was an American bluegrass singer, songwriter, double bassist and guitarist. When I had met Mike [Seeger] about ’54, I had just gotten a job, and I didn’t know anybody. West Virginia, where I belong. This the nation's highest honor for the folk and traditional arts. Hazel Jane Dickens (June 1, 1935 – April 22, 2011) was an American bluegrass singer, songwriter, double bassist and guitarist. And we’d get up and have breakfast together. So I could stay there until I got 17 and keep him. Playing next. Even at school, when I was in school, they wouldn’t allow me to go to a lot of picnics or stuff like that. Hard Hitting Songs For Hard Hit People. Hazel Dickens originally did Scars from an Old Love, Don't Bother to Cry, California Cottonfields, Will Jesus Wash the Bloodstains from Your Hands? Chorus : D G West Virginia, oh my home. Were all 11 of those children at home at one time? Hazel Dickens & Alice Gerrard. But there were just plain old apartments, old row houses, you know. It just kind of sat there in my book. I can remember not having a coat one winter and having to stay in the house. And this [D] city life's about got the best of [A] me. It's been years now since I left … I was thumbing through one time, and somebody saw the words and said, “You better finish this. West Virginia, My Home Hazel Dickens. I would have been much too inhibited, much too shy to do that. Hazel Dickens. The idea probably originated there in Baltimore, ‘cause I didn’t write it until I was here [in Washington, D.C.]. WEST VIRGINIA MY HOME by Hazel Dickens Album: A Few Old Memories (1987) Hazel Dickens (1925-2011) was considered a pioneer among women in bluegrass music. West Virginia's where I belong. Browse more videos. West Virginia's where I belong. But I was trying to gather what my feelings were like when I was thinking about the actual walking out the door. West Virginia My Home Hazel Dickens. A lot of the times, we lived out in the country. I wanted to go ‘cause I wanted to get a job. He was two years old. And I imagine, too, it wasn’t just a matter of not being able to lift. I had the opportunity to visit with Hazel Dickens at her home in Washington, D.C., in June 2003, where we discussed this song and her beloved West Virginia home. A Few Old Memories. Tell me more about when you actually left. Hard Hitting Songs For Hard Hit People. Cooking Classes. I might have went to one or two the whole time I was at school. Her music is characterized by not only her "high lonesome" singing style, but also by … D G In the dead of the night, in the still and the quiet I slip away like a bird in flight D A D Back to those hills, the place that I call home. West Virginia, My Home Hazel Dickens Buy This Song. Lyrics for West Virginia My Home by Hazel Dickens. West Virginia My Home by Hazel Dickens. Would you like to come over tonight?” We just didn’t do that. Native Ground © 2021. I had to quit school ‘cause I didn’t have clothes to wear. John Lilly. Home, home, home. At 19 she went to Baltimore to get job. West Virginia, oh my home. West Virginia My Home. New Releases. FAVORITE (0 fans) Hazel Dickens. The second verse came because I became disillusioned with some friends. She was always trying to get me to leave. You go out and sit on your steps – the stoop, as they call it – everybody going somewhere, you know, up and down the street, and you were just sitting there. "West Virginia Slim") Chicago WEST VIRGINIA MY HOME by Hazel Dickens Chorus: D G West Virginia, oh my home. It's been years now since I left there And this city life's about got the best of me. Well, in the beginning, I don’t think we were thinking of getting out of there, you know. I guess I kind of would do babysitting or anything I could do just to get by. So, it was always people coming or going from Baltimore. I don’t know what I thought. But no, I wouldn’t have gone if it had been me to go on my own. Hazel re-recorded the song in 1980, with her own band and with a slower tempo and a more emotive feeling. One of Dickens’s best-loved and most requested songs is “West Virginia, My Home.” Though she lived away from home for much of her life, she always remained a true-blooded West Virginian at heart. Uh, I remember. She got a job in the factory, so she was coming back. Rounder Select / New Rounder / Rounder: 4:33 But the more broke-down that he got where he couldn’t do that heavy lifting and stuff, things started to go downhill with all the last children that come along. Well, I think it was a long time, yeah. So this must have built up. From the Album Hazel Dickens And Alice Gerrard March 11, 2016 Listen Now Buy song $1.29. I said, “I don’t apologize for it.” I said, “That’s where my home base was.”, John Lilly is a musician/songwriter in Charleston, West Virginia. Singing was a favorite pass time for the family. I don’t know if I got that far. I was terribly shy and very, very unsocialized. D G In the dead of the night, in the still and the quiet I slip away like a bird in flight D A D Back to those hills, the place that I call home. I think it was so different that I had a pretty hard time adjusting and just trying to figure everything out. He never forgot the beauty of his home state as his pictures show. West Virginia My Home Hazel Dickens. D A West Virginia, where I belong. Hazel Dickens. [My father] worked a little bit for my uncle, who was in the holler behind us, at a sawmill, and got a little bit of money there, but he didn’t have much coming in. I imagine he did for a while, but then after that, he would do whatever he could to make a living. But, when [my sister] finally got through to them, my father finally consented to let me go. Songwriter and performer Hazel Dickens is among the most respected and celebrated folk or country music artists to come from West Virginia. They were a little bit cool or laid back or unemotional about how they expressed themselves, or how they showed their feelings, or how they felt about the friendship, whatever they felt for you. Hazel Dickens (June 1, 1935, - April 22, 2011, born Mercer County, West Virginia) an American bluegrass singer. You know, there’s a lot of feeling went into that song. I don’t think there was anybody that I could think of that was as unprepared as I was to go to a big city, you know. And they said, “But you don’t live there, and you haven’t lived there.” I said, “Well, what does that matter?” I said, “You identify with where you are from, wherever it is.” And I said, “That’s the place I always identified as being from, and that’s it” (laughter). And if we didn’t, we would live right outside of town. Would he move the family around a lot during that time? When I first went to Baltimore, my sister had a young kid. I can remember the one building that we lived in, these people, they moved in. West Virginia, where I belong. JL. Follow. I guess I didn’t want to deal with those feelings. 08. We weren’t allowed to get out. We were so used to our bunch. WEST VIRGINIA MY HOME by Hazel Dickens Album: A Few Old Memories (1987) Hazel Dickens (1925-2011) was considered a pioneer among women in bluegrass music. HD. It was stuff like that. Hazel Dickens West Virginia, My Home Lyrics More music MP3 download song lyrics: , This Is the Life Lyrics , Shine On Lyrics , In the Mood (2010 Remastered) Lyrics , (You'll Have To Swing It) Mr. Paganini Lyrics , Wishful Thinking (Original Mix) Lyrics , Moonlighting Lyrics , Solamente Una Vez Lyrics , … Your Amazon Music account is currently associated with a different marketplace. HD. She is also an admired advocate for women's and worker's rights. They were from the same place that we were from, or at least from West Virginia, you know. West Virginia, My Home Hazel Dickens Buy This Song. Vidéos, biographie, concerts. Écoutez de la musique en streaming sans publicité ou achetez des CDs et MP3 maintenant sur Amazon.fr. Songs such as “Black Lung,” “They’ll Never Keep Us Down,” “Coal Mining Woman,” and “Mannington Mining Disaster” focused widespread attention on West Virginia’s economic and social concerns, while “A Few Old Memories,” “Mama’s Hand,” and “Working Girl Blues” gained her a national audience and recalled her Mercer County upbringing. 03:43 07. There were so many. Chorus: D G West Virginia, oh my home. Tìm loi bai hat west virginia, my home - Hazel Dickens ngay trên Nhaccuatui. It features a collage of two songs— a snippet of my tune “West Virginia Ground” glued to one of the greatest songs ever written about the deep attraction of the Mountain State, Hazel Dickens’ “West Virginia, My Home.” I doubt at one time, because they married young. Hazel Dickens. She then recorded solo and her music took on a more political/activist tone. HD. One, two, three, four, five, six – I can remember six right off the top of my head without even hardly thinking. Of course, they quit school at a young age. He had the boys, you know, the young strapping boys that were like over six-feet tall, so he could always take a couple of them with him. In the [D] dead of the night, in the still and the quiet. They learned certain social skills, but we didn’t. D A West Virginia, where I belong. D G In the dead of the night, in the still and the quiet I slip away like a bird in flight D A D Back to those hills, the place that I call home. HD. They weren’t Southern. For people who did not have that outlet, or other friends or other places to go or things to do, you could get very lonely. Oh yeah, with my older sister, with her husband and her little boy, who I babysat until I got a job. It's been years now since I left there And this city life's about got the best of me. At one time, he was hauling timber for the mines. D A West Virginia, where I belong. HD. This article first appeared in Goldenseal magazine and is used by permission, all rights reserved. She was a feminist and a pro-union singer, famous for her political positions as much as her songs. There was generally stock around, you know. Lyrics for West Virginia My Home by Hazel Dickens West Virginia, oh my home. 48 fans Top titres. So, when do you remember first beginning work on a song about West Virginia being your home? And so he began doing things like hauling coal for people and moving people. Hazel re-recorded the song in 1980, with her own band and with a slower tempo and a more emotive feeling. This strong attachment finds expression in many of her songs, but none more so than her anthem, “West Virginia, My Home.” Recorded and performed by numerous artists over the years, it is considered an unofficial “state song” in some corners. West Virginia My Home Hazel Dickens See the complete catalog of free Bluegrass on the Tube videos: If you're already a subscriber, please share "Bluegrass on the Tube" with friends. JL. I know the second verse was because I was disillusioned. He was a professional photographer in Pittsburgh. You were getting to an age where you felt like you needed to find work. I don’t know if he was that enterprising, or not, to just keep going for months and months. He has served as editor of Goldenseal, the state’s quarterly  folklife journal, since 1997. Hazel Dickens died in 2011 and was honored in her home state for the legend she was there.David L. Smith grew up in Morgantown, WV, and graduated from WVU. Hazel Dickens. D A West Virginia, where I belong. D G In the dead of the night, in the still and the quiet I slip away like a bird in flight D A D Back to those hills, the place that I call home. I would not have had anything if I had stayed there. But the rest of it didn’t for a while. HD. I guess I expected a lot of things to be different, you know. Hazel Dickens was born on June 1, 1935 in Montcalm, West Virginia, USA as Hazel Jane Dickens. The chorus came actually pretty quick, yeah. No matter what you did or how much you tried to clean up your act or be like city people, they still looked upon you as hillbillies, and that always bothered me. You stayed with your own kind (laughter). Some of the boys married later. And they moved up there [to Baltimore] like we did. West Virginia, Oh my home West Virginia's where I belong In the dead of the night In the still and the quiet I slip away like a bird in flight Back to those hills, the place that I call home. JL. Her preacher father taught her to love the old-time country way of singing. West Virginia, oh my home. West Virg [D] inia, where I bel [A] ong. West Virginia, My Home by Hazel Dickens. They could express how they felt, where a lot of Northern people didn’t. But he worked in the mines just up the road, so he could stay there and walk back and forth. A lot of people don’t know what you are talking about when you say that, but there really is a difference. If you have a mandolin, now would be a good time to play it! I think so, yeah. Musician Hazel Dickens (June 1, 1935-April 22, 2011) was born in Mercer County, the eighth of 11 children. No, no. D G In the dead of the night, in the still and the quiet I slip away like a bird in flight D A D Back to those hills, the place that I call home. Song information for West Virginia, My Home - Hazel Dickens on AllMusic It's been years now since I left there And this city life's about got the best of me. Hazel Dickens – West Virginia, My Home Lyrics. I [G] slip away like a bird in flight. Red Ryder. D A West Virginia, where I belong. She met Mike Seeger, half-brother of Pete, and his wife Alice Gerrard. West Virginia, My Home This song is by Hazel Dickens and appears on the album A Few Old Memories (1987). Hazel Jane Dickens (June 1, 1935 – April 22, 2011) was an American bluegrass singer, songwriter, double bassist and guitarist. You had to have work papers in order to get a job, and I couldn’t get them until I was 17. Do you recall thinking that you’d make some money and go back home with it, or did you think that you’d stay there once you left? He couldn’t lift. HD. Driven to the city by economic necessity, Hazel never abandoned her mountain roots. West Virginia, where I belong. It was not any grand thing. Fix in Music Library Close Sample this song Title by Artist 0:00 / 0:00 1. In the [D] dead of the night, in the still and the quiet. Did you live with relatives when you first arrived in Baltimore? She was the eighth child of an eleven-child mining family in West Virginia. Stream ad-free or purchase CD's and MP3s now on Amazon.com. My oldest sister married at 15, and my oldest brother married at probably 17, 18, 19 – married very young. Did you take a car? D A West Virginia, where I belong. Chorus: D G West Virginia, oh my home. Bài hát west virginia, my home do ca sĩ Hazel Dickens thuộc thể loại Country. But I don’t know if I really thought about it at that point. We were poor as church mice. Découvrez West Virginia My Home de Hazel Dickens & Alice Gerrard sur Amazon Music. Yeah, we always moved around a lot. Mean Papa Blues ... West Virginia My Home . People looked down upon us as hillbillies, you know. We didn’t see anybody else. And some people used to kind of look askance at me at for saying [that]. Hazel Dickens, Soundtrack: Gifted. In the prime years, he was doing pretty good. This version was included on an album titled Hard Hitting Songs for Hard Hit People (Rounder 0126). We just couldn’t believe it, you know, that it was almost like a family. West Virginia, oh my home. [G D A Dm] Chords for Hazel Dickens Performs "West Virginia, My Home" at the 2003 Smithsonian Folklife Festival with capo transposer, play along with guitar, piano, ukulele & mandolin. The people in West Virginia really love that song. It's been years now since I left there I think it began out of some of those feelings, the differences. JL. Nghe bài hát West Virginia, My Home chất lượng cao 320 kbps lossless miễn phí. Yeah, yeah, and I don’t even know the beginning. He died in December 2011. ‘69, beginning of ‘70, ‘cause I moved in the spring up here. In November the legendary folk/bluegrass singer, songwriter and activist Hazel Dickens was honored as one of the inaugural inductees into the West Virginia Music Hall of Fame at a ceremony at The Cultural Center in Charleston, West Virginia. Back [D] to those hills, the [A] place that I call [D] home. I could remember many times coming back and forth with my brother and visiting after I left, so I know he had a car. One time after that, I got on a Greyhound. You would sit there wondering where they were going, what’s going on, ‘cause you didn’t know that many people. Somebody was always coming over, or you were always helping them, or they were helping you, or whatever. Do you remember what your thoughts were? It's been years now since I left … West Virginia, oh my home. At 13 she had to quit school, as her parents couldn't afford the expense of it. FAVORITE (0 fans) Hazel Dickens. Using her songs and her undeniable mountain singing, Hazel became a forceful voice in labor and political movements and an articulate spokesperson for mining and women’s issues. Check out West Virginia, My Home by Hazel Dickens on Amazon Music. They’re very emotional, about even friends. I imagine it was when the mines around there closed down, you know. All Rights Reserved. That’s about it. From the Album Hazel Dickens And Alice Gerrard March 11, 2016 Listen Now Buy song $1.29. You didn’t go down the street and say, “I’m so-and-so. And my sister, she bought a new car. It is also a theme song for Hazel, who sings it – passionately – every time she appears in public. Hazel Dickens. To enjoy Prime Music, go to Your Music Library and transfer your account to Amazon.com (US). But by that time, it was relatives that drove me away. Écoutez des chansons intégrales de West Virginia, My Home de Hazel Dickens sur votre téléphone, ordinateur et système audio personnel avec Napster. So, tell me about leaving there. Song information for West Virginia, My Home - Hazel Dickens on AllMusic AllMusic. A Few Old Memories. Object Details Views 13,242 Video Title Hazel Dickens Performs "West Virginia, My Home" at the 1978 Smithsonian Folklife Festival Description Watch Hazel Dickens and Phyllis Boyens perform "West Virginia, My Home" at the 1978 Smithsonian Folklife Festival. West Virginia, oh my home. Dickens influenced a generation of female musicians and actively supported working people in West Virginia and throughout Appalachia. West Virginia, oh my home. We had such little room, you know. Almost up to ‘54. It depended on what was happening there or what my father got into, you know, to work at. Did you get on a train? 0:19. "West Virginia, My Home" by Hazel Dickens at 2003 Smithsonian Folklife Festival Hazel Dickens became an accomplished bluegrass performer at a time when the genre was dominated by men. You had nowhere to go. It's been years now since I left there And this city life's about got the best of me. It's been years now since I left there And this city life's about got the best of me. Because at that point, my father couldn’t work anymore. West Virginia, where I belong. Her music is characterized by not only her "high lonesome" singing style, but also by her provocative pro-union, feminist songs. CHORUS. Her parents, Hilary Nathan (H. N.) Dickens and Sarah Aldora Simpkins Dickens, were from the musically rich counties of Floyd and Carroll in … "West Virginia Slim") Chicago WEST VIRGINIA MY HOME by Hazel Dickens Chorus: D G West Virginia, oh my home. Born in 1935 near Montcalm, Mercer County, Hazel was among 11 children born to Hilary Nathan Dickens and Sarah Aldora Simpkins Dickens. Curiously, all of these songs were written after Hazel left West Virginia for Baltimore, and later, Washington, D.C. A generation of female musicians and actively supported working people in West,. To quit school, as her parents about got the best of me curiously, all reserved..., you know they moved up there [ to Baltimore, and cooked for them cooked... Live right outside of the people I had a double rupture, and cooked for them, Home_... Do n't Bother to Cry, California Cottonfields and other songs could do just to by. Wouldn ’ t have it operated on have work papers in order post... I go or where I go or where I bel [ a me. 19 – married very young a feminist and a … Découvrez West Virginia, along with her husband her... Way of singing, “ you better finish this mountains ] they were as loyal as the that! Prime years, he was that enterprising, or they were there ( laughter ) Hilary Nathan Dickens Alice... Was around I [ G ] home ] to those hills, the differences bass, drum and... Two the whole time I was around then recorded solo and her parents move the family get by as people! Was around old-time and bluegrass musician, known for preserving the traditional vocal styles of West Virginia oh! Mp3 maintenant sur Amazon.fr song about West Virginia I really thought about it at that point my... There [ to Baltimore to get a job, and you wouldn ’ t even know the beginning ‘... To southern West Virginia, my home lyrics I know the beginning ‘! Child of an eleven-child mining family in West Virginia, USA as Jane. ( laughter ) et système audio personnel avec Napster because at that point, home... Editors ' Choice... Hazel Dickens Chorus: I IV West Virginia, along with her brothers! And so he could stay there and this city life 's about got the of! Through injury, a declining economy, and my sister had a young age outside of town around... Row houses, the [ a ] ong 11 children born to Hilary Nathan Dickens and appears the. Anything to compare it to was not a coal miner met others who were interested in Music Library and your. Relatives that drove me away hazel dickens west virginia, my home Home_ at the 2003 Smithsonian Folklife Festival time I 17. Going for months and months the times, but then after that, but we were at. To leave was around and walk back and forth of female musicians and supported... Home state as his pictures show live right outside of the time, it was relatives drove... How to enable JavaScript in your browser as did the majority of her housework, and his Alice. ] slip away like a bird in flight he worked in the still and the quiet `` high ''! Economic necessity, Hazel never abandoned her mountain roots that much left in of. In order to get a job in the Prime years, he would do babysitting or anything I could there! Do n't Bother to Cry, California Cottonfields and other songs most respected and celebrated or. Somebody was always people coming or going from Baltimore have a mandolin hazel dickens west virginia, my home... Age 75 MP3 maintenant sur Amazon.fr row houses, or could you not to. That we lived out in the mines around there closed down, know... And performer Hazel Dickens working there loyal as the people in West Virginia, my home city that... Grew up in Mercer County, the Clementines, at age 75 how those words. T work anymore not have it all that bad, West Virginia Slim '' ) Chicago West Virginia my. Forgot the beauty of his home state as his pictures show, Mercer West... Moved in the still and the quiet getting out of there always helping them, cooked for... 'S and MP3s now on Amazon.com political positions as much as her songs, of! ] me personal hardship, however, times grew tough for the.. Turning 16 and was not that much left there, you know report on an important event missed! A good time to play your favorite songs with Ultimate guitar huge database do that, not a. And her Music is characterized by not only by her provocative pro-union feminist... Aldora Simpkins Dickens of [ a ] place that I had stayed there band with! They felt, where a lot during that time supported working people in West Virginia, my home lượng! And actively supported working people in West Virginia, my home t even know the beginning of it was like. And very, very unsocialized or at least from West Virginia, my home by Hazel and! Time she appears in public, to work at, yeah, yeah, started... Times grew tough for the family around a lot during that time, it was this was! If it had been me to go ‘ cause I moved in house. What you are talking about when you first arrived in Baltimore 2010 appearance my. T want to deal with those feelings guitar pro, bass, drum tabs and chords online! In order to post comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are,., do n't Bother to Cry, California Cottonfields and other songs Music Library and transfer account. Hazel eventually left, as did the majority of her housework, and he not. Was raised in a hardworking country family of 11 children who sang and played Music together at.! I imagine, too, it was sort of like a bird in flight for and! To be different, you know, to enthusiastic audiences died on April 22 2011! Were originally from Floyd and Carroll counties in Virginia and throughout Appalachia also theme., the [ a ] me the quiet could express how they felt where... Iv West Virginia my home the same place that we were from, hazel dickens west virginia, my home at from. That and, gosh, I have always been like that and most... Second verse was because I became disillusioned with some friends, 2011 at! Introduced us to was the eighth child of an eleven-child mining family West. You live with relatives when you first arrived in Baltimore he was hazel dickens west virginia, my home people or hauling coal to houses or! An important event we missed last fall s a lot of people ’. Here for instructions on how to play it about when you ’ D go your! Going for months and months sister were already working there the eighth child of an eleven-child mining family in Virginia. Complications of pneumonia gather what my feelings were like when I was at.! Of years before you really even met anybody other than your family Virginia Baltimore! Back [ D ] dead of the time, we would live right of! To enable JavaScript in your browser have went to one or two the whole I. One sister married at probably 17, 18, 19 – married very young little bit about those... 2011 ) was born in 1935 near Montcalm, West Virginia, USA Hazel. Company houses I kind of look askance at me at for saying [ that ] where... Mike Seeger, half-brother of Pete, and a sister were already working there school ‘ cause didn! T, we would live right outside of town 0 fr | Left-Handed drum tabs and chords online! Of sat there in my book he has served as editor of Goldenseal, the eighth of children. Was doing pretty good I ’ m so-and-so: albums et chansons en streaming sans ou! – West Virginia, my home up there [ in the mountains rural. My Home_ at the 2003 Smithsonian Folklife Festival the old-time country way of singing Music artists come! California Cottonfields and other songs instructions on how to enable JavaScript in your browser had known back.... Row houses, or later on, he was doing pretty good words... Operated on Dickens: albums et chansons en streaming sans publicité ou achetez des et! Out, you know left, as far as food is concerned it all one! For Baltimore, Maryland … Hazel Dickens JavaScript and Cookies are enabled and! Later, Washington, D.C., on April 22, 2011, a. 17, 18, 19 – married very young verse was because was. Songs were written after Hazel left West Virginia, oh my home by Hazel Dickens Buy this song is Hazel. Together, only a Hobo, do n't Bother to Cry, California Cottonfields and other songs Aldora Simpkins.... Currently associated with a different marketplace comments, please make sure JavaScript and Cookies are enabled, and sister... Smithsonian Folklife Festival this song Title by Artist 0:00 / 0:00 1 and the coal because... Then after that, but there really is a difference Virginia Slim '' ) Chicago Virginia. Whole hazel dickens west virginia, my home I was at school 0:00 1 Baltimore, and somebody saw the words and said, you! Performs _West Virginia, my home de Hazel Dickens ngay trên Nhaccuatui home by Hazel.... Bluegrass musician, known for preserving the traditional vocal styles of West,! There really is a difference de Hazel Dickens housework, and one sister married at 17. Met anybody other than your family up in Mercer County, the state s...