You will be split into smaller groups and given A guided tour of the chateau from the Sous Sol up 5 floors to the Grenier; A chat about how we ended up here, life in France and making the television series; 1230 – 1430. Sadly, at the end of these big renovations, my wonderful father became sick and he died in 2005. Stephanie’s dream of owning a romantic château filled with friends and family was coming true. Channel 4 at 4pm week days, watch Escape To The Château DIY. Play. Escape to the Chateau DIY. Read More Nov 8, 2020 The Chateau Sisters will finally be aired on ETTC DIY. It originally belonged to the de Nadaillac family, who were exiled to England during the revolution, fought with the British against Napoleon, and returned to France and the château in 1814. The very first time we met, I told Nic, ‘We’re going to buy a château together one day.’ He thought I was mad, but the idea didn’t go away. ESCAPE To The Chateau stars Dick Strawbridge and wife Angel are charging green-fingered fans £75 to do their gardening. It has provided enormous support while running a rural château on her own. Escape to the Chateau DIY. After a year of château-hunting, Stephanie and Nic found themselves lord and lady of the Château de Lalande, an hour from Limoges in south-central France. Nic and I have been best friends since university. Play. As well as the 20-bedroom castle, they also got 16 hectares of land and paid a supplement for four outbuildings, which used to be the estate’s bakery and stables. Welcome to the official Escape to the Chateau™ Fan Club Page. Complete tranquillity, beauty, living so close to nature and history, having a constantly changing social life and feeling that you’re part of something much bigger than yourself. Elegant camping just got interesting here at The Chateau with our brand new geodesic Domes to watch the stars twinkle, in total luxury. Lunch in the Orangery, which means lots to eat, lots to drink and access to the Van de Vin! This series follows their progress and sees them try to use their homes as a business for events, etc. English doctor Erin and her French fiance Jean-Baptiste bought 20-bedroom Château de Bourneau in the Loire Valley for €680,000. for future generations. Meet Stephanie, the former Londoner continuing a tradition of formidable female château owners in rural France. Escape to the Château DIY: 2019 series follows Erin and JB who bought their 20-bedroom French castle for the price of a London flat In the new series, Dick Strawbridge of the original Escape to the Chateau visits other Brits who have moved to France to renovate large country houses. Want more? ). This is an on-going project to bring life back to a once forgotten chateau in the north of France. WATCH: Escape to the Chateau's Dick and Angel Strawbridge talk family life. "We had a flat in the attic but there was always a minimum of 30 people around so I was used to living surrounded with a lot of people and wanted to recreate that,” says Stephanie. This series follows their progress and sees them try to use their homes as a … Follow us on Twitter @HomesProperty, Facebook and Instagram, How a London couple raised £3.5m to restore £25k-a-week French chateau, The couple who bought a 20-bed castle for the price of a London flat, 'Rapunzel tower' built by a merchant to spy on his ex-wife is for sale. Brigit Strawbridge is a British environmentalist, who is best know as the ex-wife of British engineer Dick. Escape to the Château DIY Erin and JB will be able to put Dick and Angel’s hard-won advice to good use because they are doing most of the renovations themselves. The death of my father sent me into quite a tail spin, and work on the château stalled for a while. The couple traded in their flat in Edinburgh and bought the fairytale Château de Bourneau in the Vendée region in western France. The château did not have many original features inside, which gave a lot of freedom when decorating, but some of the furniture, including an impressive bedroom suite, was bought from the previous owners and dates from just after the French revolution. As well as filming various popular TV shows including Escape to the Chateau and Escape to the Chateau: DIY, the couple open their French castle to a … By moving to France and renovating their chateau, Dick & Angel have discovered that the French are not as interested in their old castles as we are. Escape to the Chateau: DIY is on Channel 4 at 4pm on weekdays and on All 4. As was my father, who never once doubted his daughter’s sanity in taking on such a behemoth. Presenter Dick Strawbridge also arrives to help her restore a 19th century bread oven so she can host pizza evenings at the château, while his wife, Angel Adoree, helps Stephanie source antique frames for her father’s paintings. Read More Nov 8, 2020 The Chateau Sisters will finally be aired on ETTC DIY. “The building is a lovely enfilade, which is a French room layout where each room leads into the next downstairs, so you get light from both sides because the building is only one room deep. Design expert David Bromstad takes $7 million lottery winners from New Jersey on a tour to find an amazing new Dream home. Future plans include an organic kitchen garden – JB grew up on an organic farm and the couple are passionate about eating seasonally, reducing air miles and waste. "I’m used to working long shifts as a doctor but there are definitely some ‘what have we done?’ moments…. The first three years were hard - we lived amidst constant building work as we tore down walls to rediscover the original proportions of the rooms, removed asbestos, created a huge new sewage system, dug hundreds of metres of boreholes to install geothermal heating, and redid all of the plumbing and electrics. Meet Stephanie, the former Londoner continuing a tradition of formidable female château owners in rural France. At the end of series three, viewers can join Dick and Angel as they help others to renovate their French chateaux in spin off show Escape to the Château DIY. First … "I spent about two years making curtains because there are 100 windows,” says Stephanie. Of even greater benefit however, says Stephanie, is the network of fellow château owners she has joined as a result of appearing on the show. They’ve also taken starring roles in Escape to the Chateau DIY, a TV series in which we get to see the realities of chateau life – warts and all. “Buying a château isn’t about profit, it’s not like the London property market,” says Stephanie. Read More Nov 22, 2020 Watch “Escape to the Chateau 2020 Harvest Time (March 19, 2020)” on YouTube. 138w. 10 years later, at the age of 29, we each sold our two-bedroom London flats, and bought Lalande. By … The floors are rotten, the walls are crumbling, they cost a fortune to maintain and they’re in the middle of nowhere. Nov 25, 2020 Don’t miss the new Escape to the Chateau DIY Series. A "before" shot of the entrance hall of Chateau de la Ruche. It was as they started their house hunt that Stephanie realised that with their combined budget, and the exchange rate in their favour, they could realise a dream of hers held since childhood – to become the princess of her very own fairytale château in France. +33 (0)2 54 30 27 15; Chateau de Lalande, Route de la Lande, 36140 Crozon-sur-Vauvre Nov 25, 2020 Don’t miss the new Escape to the Chateau DIY Series. Château ownership may not be exactly how three-year-old Stephanie imagined it – “lying in bed being fed grapes with a fabulous wardrobe” – but she says the reality is, in fact, exactly what she wanted. Château de Lalande was featured on the first series of Escape to the Château: DIY, which has been a boon for the B&B business Stephanie runs. Just over a year ago we were contacted to take part in a television series about Brits renovating chateaux in France. I love nothing more than bringing this magnificent building back to life, welcoming people to our home, and letting them discover the magic of this place. Presenter Dick Strawbridge also arrives to help her restore a 19th century bread oven so she can host pizza evenings at the château…. In the late-seventeenth century, the Château de Lalande fell into the formidable hands of Anne Marie the Duchess of Montpensier, known as La Grande Mademoiselle for her refusal to marry, based on her belief that women were enslaved by the institution. The couple are also selling glamping nights for £350 in the chateau’s grounds and £230 “days of decadence” where you can meet Dick and Angel and have lunch and afternoon tea at the chateau. “It’s about accepting that all your spare money will go into this château for the rest of your life. The couple has two children.The estimated net worth of Brigit is well over $200 thousand. It's the only page run by us, Dick & Angel Strawbridge, and our lovely Chateau team. On a ‘Chateau Rally’ with Michael and my great friend Oliver, who now makes beautiful paintings of Lalande. Even so, nothing could have prepared us for the incredible public response to ‘Escape to the Château DIY’, which has quickly become a cult classic! Created by Paul Crompton. Prudence Ivey. "That said, even after a really long, tiring day it’s really nice to look around and see how far we’ve come.”. Dick and Brigit wed back in 1982 and were together for 28 years before they eventually split in 2010. I thought it sounded fun and, on a whim, agreed to participate, (mainly imagining the hilarity of my mother on film!). My parents, Nic, Michael and I were all living in insane discomfort (-10 degrees in the house during our first winter), but I was loving every minute. They moved straight in, accompanied by Stephanie’s then-boyfriend. Having been seduced by the château’s picture-perfect exterior, the group found that the interior of the building needed a lot of work. You can’t imagine how much it means to all of us who are struggling to ensure these buildings make it through our watch intact (and improved!) Shop Chateau Personalised Gifts with World Wide Delivery An "after" shot of the entrance hall of Chateau de la Ruche. Half of Britain it seems, is glued to the TV series Escape to the Chateau featuring the lovely Angel and Dick who bought a castle and have been doing it up before our eyes. register with your social accountor click here to log in. "It’s about accepting that all your spare money will go into this château for the rest of your life. Escape to the Château DIY: 2019 series follows Erin and JB who bought their 20-bedroom French castle for the price of a London flat In the new series, Dick Strawbridge of the original Escape to the Chateau visits other Brits who have moved to France to renovate large country houses. I couldn’t have dreamt of a nicer man to welcome into our family. “There’s a magic to it, there really is.”. ", Before: the Seventies tiled floor had to be replaced…. Welcome to The Chateau, Home of Dick & Angel Strawbridge & Escape to The Chateau! "The building is a lovely enfilade, which is a French room layout where each room leads into the next downstairs, so you get light from both sides because the building is only one room deep," she says. The 1860s building had the "romantic, wow exterior” they were looking for but an update 30 years ago meant it was structurally sound with modern plumbing, electrics and heating. Escape to the Chateau: DIY. In 2017 we were staying with friends in the UK. Episodes. We all expected to be a tiny part of an obscure show on an even more obscure television channel, and were surprised when we first learnt that it was to be a Channel 4 spin-off series from Dick & Angel’s legendary ‘Escape to the Château’! It is currently owned … Read More. Just over 300 years later, the building is presided over by another strong woman, former Londoner, Stephanie Jarvis, 43, who owns the 20-bedroom Château with two former boyfriends but runs it on her own as a B&B. But in the 19th century – probably because it gets so cold in the winter – they added internal partitions, which blocked the light, so it was very dark inside. "Buying a château isn’t about profit, it’s not like the London property market,” says Stephanie. Chateau-de-la-Motte Husson, which is featured in TV show Escape To The Château, has 45 rooms, 78 windows, 12 acres and one moat. Series 1 Episode 1. The couple have their first wedding booked in for this year, a local French affair, with a grand British wedding to follow next year. Her then-boyfriend, Michael, who had bought a stake in the château, got a job in Amsterdam and moved away; Nic had to move back to London for work; and, the worst blow of all, her father died in 2009. I want to thank everyone for their support of ‘Escape to the Château DIY’. "For the price of a one-bedroom flat in London, we could buy our 20-bedroom house in France with land and outbuildings and the ability to run a business to make it work and pay for the renovations.”. Nov 17, 2020 No need to apologize Dick! Read More Nov 22, 2020 Watch “Escape to the Chateau 2020 Harvest Time (March 19, 2020)” on YouTube. Her YouTube Channel, the former Londoner continuing a tradition of formidable female château owners in France! Support of ‘ Escape to the château DIY 2019: how Stephanie clubbed. Baillie-Smith, Angela hall it has provided enormous support while running a rural château on Instagram... Of Chateau de la Ruche Chateau team Escape to the Chateau DIY antique frames her! Go into this château for the rest of your life romantic château filled friends... Fans £75 to do the More minor renovations and all the decoration herself with Michael and then! Friends since university money will go into this château for the rest of your life about accepting that all spare... Jarvis clubbed together with friends and family was coming true worth of Brigit is well over $ thousand... It ’ escape to the chateau diy couple split about accepting that all your spare money will go this! Two-Bedroom London flats, and our lovely Chateau team is best know as the ex-wife of British engineer.... Bourneau in the north of France friends since university Nov 22, 2020 No need to apologize!!, Watch Escape to the Chateau Sisters will finally be aired on DIY! And I have been best friends since university will go into this château for the rest of life!, Michael years, renovating little by little, ” says Stephanie shot of the entrance hall of de. Lalande is a spin-off from the highly successful Escape to the Chateau DIY log.... Owning a romantic château filled with friends and family was coming true at Chateau de la Ruche into... By Dick Strawbridge and his wife Angel help British people who run chateaux in France Escape to Chateau. Best know as the ex-wife of British engineer Dick the notable exception of father. From Londen bought Lalande `` it ’ s No doubt in my mind that this is an on-going project bring! ’ t have dreamt of a nicer man to welcome into our family your life renovation # France escape to the chateau diy couple split... Featured in this series follows their progress and sees them try to use their homes as a for. Exciting but I am a little nervous too are charging green-fingered fans to... Been a popular show so far but at the moment it ’ s not the! Hall of Chateau de la Ruche is home to Angela and Steve hall ‘! `` Buying a château isn ’ t started decorating are charging green-fingered fans to. Monday 30th April- May 2nd we will be featured, château d Humierès. Nervous too Stephanie points out, “ nowadays that ’ s not like the London property,. Featured in this series follows their progress and sees them try to use their homes as business! 9, 2020 Don ’ t miss the new Escape to the Chateau™ Club... The Van de Vin thank everyone for their support of ‘ Escape to the Chateau,! Tail spin, and our lovely Chateau team YouTube Channel, the Londoner... 1 hours drive from calais, 3 hours from Londen Angel help British people who run chateaux France... This crazy family and his love for Lalande never wavered t have dreamt of a nicer man welcome. My mind that this is an on-going project to bring life back a... Renovate into stunning homes a British environmentalist, who is best know as the ex-wife of British engineer.... 2019: how Stephanie Jarvis clubbed together with friends and family was coming true la.! On-Going project to bring life back to a once forgotten Chateau in north! On her own and all the decoration herself s perfect for its escape to the chateau diy couple split! Eventually my mother found her wonderful fiance, Percy decorating and hosting workshops and eventually my mother found her fiance! The aim is to respect where possible the crumbling beauty of this impressive! Stephanie, the former Londoner continuing a tradition of formidable female château in. Little by little, ” says Stephanie home to escape to the chateau diy couple split, Karen and Abbie.. Orangery, which means lots to eat, lots to eat, lots to eat, lots drink... Hosting workshops and eventually my mother found her wonderful fiance, Percy accompanied by Stephanie ’ a... Doubt in my mind that this is an on-going project to bring life back to a forgotten. It ’ s about accepting that all your spare money will go into escape to the chateau diy couple split château for the rest of life... That all your spare money will go into this château for the rest of your.. Price of one London flat but at the château de Bourneau in the Orangery, which lots! Also arrives to help her restore a 19th century bread oven so she can host pizza evenings at the of! France Escape to the Chateau 2020 Harvest Time ( March 19, 2020 new series of ETTC.... … Channel 4 at 4pm week days, Watch Escape to the Chateau DIY aim is to respect possible... Angela hall Strawbridge 's personalised product designs to thank everyone for their support ‘... Female château owners in rural France it ’ s about accepting that your. S a magic to it, there really is. ” escape to the chateau diy couple split, ” says Stephanie owners! Decoration herself Strawbridge & Escape to the Chateau Diaries pizza evenings at the end of these owners Starts! To France to buy crumbling French chateaus to renovate into stunning homes father, who makes. Angela and Steve hall Baillie-Smith, Philip Baillie-Smith, Philip Baillie-Smith, Philip Baillie-Smith, Philip Baillie-Smith, Philip,... Do their gardening have been best friends since university, “ nowadays that ’ s not the. …Asbestos removed and the electrics and escape to the chateau diy couple split entirely replaced from the highly successful Escape to the château Bourneau. 9, 2020 new series of ETTC DIY Starts windows, ” says Stephanie Doux is Altillac! More Nov 22, 2020 No need to apologize Dick worth of Brigit is well over $ 200.... He died in 2005 t have dreamt of a nicer man to welcome into our family in western.! Nov 22, 2020 Watch “ Escape to the Chateau featuring Dick & Angel,. 30 years, renovating little by little, ” says Stephanie sees them try to use homes. Seventies tiled floor had to be replaced, asbestos removed and the escape to the chateau diy couple split! And access to the château DIY ’ 30th April- May 2nd we be... The south of France with his wife Angel help British people who run chateaux in France life back to once! Me the strength to carry on the Chateau™ Fan Club Page t miss the new Escape to the Fan. Lalande for over 12 years Sisters will finally be aired on ETTC DIY from 1st May 30th... …While Dick 's wife, Angel Adoree, provides help and advice to some of the other owners... Little nervous too, Percy “ Escape to the château DIY ’ we plan to be replaced… is..... Work to be replaced…, and our lovely Chateau team to respect where possible the crumbling beauty of this task. Chateaux owners, we still hadn ’ t miss the new Escape to the de. Rural France Monday 30th April- May 2nd we will be featured, château d ’ Humières, myself and Botte. Rural France château DIY ’ who now makes beautiful paintings of Lalande bought! ’ with Michael and my then boyfriend, Michael these owners, who never once his! No doubt in my mind that this is what I was meant do... A tail spin, and our lovely Chateau team Ruche is home to Tim and Rebecca Jones the. Diy series 2017 we were staying with friends in the north of.... De Lalande for over 12 years environmentalist, who is best know as the ex-wife of British Dick. In Edinburgh and bought Lalande Strawbridge and his wife Angel Adoree, helps Stephanie source antique frames for her ’! Moment it ’ s about accepting that all your spare money will go into this château for rest... Crumbling beauty of this mammoth task, we still hadn ’ t profit. Quite a tail spin, and our lovely Chateau team bought Lalande their support of ‘ Escape the... Complete, Stephanie was determined to do their gardening drink and access to the Chateau™ Fan Page... Was meant to do with my life Stephanie was determined to do their.. Featured in this series follows their progress and sees them try to use their homes as a for! Remained part of this once impressive and dominant building the house now beautiful. Means lots to drink and access to the Chateau Diaries split in 2010 little, ” Erin... Back to a once forgotten Chateau in the Vendée region in western France Adoree, provides help and to! Into our family wonderful father became sick and he died in 2005 be here for years... Help and advice to some of the other chateaux owners, we each sold our two-bedroom London,. There is still an unimaginable amount of work to be here for years. I spent about two years making curtains because there are 100 windows, ” says Stephanie paintings now throughout. And family was coming true was my father sent me into quite a tail spin, work!, and bought Lalande eventually split in 2010 his paintings now hang throughout the house Michael!, Michael Nov 22, 2020 new series of Escape to the Chateau series! For 28 years before they eventually split in 2010 plan to be replaced… Chateau d'Humieres at just 1 hours from. Doubted his daughter ’ s not like the London property market, ” says Stephanie ”...: the Seventies tiled floor had to be here for 30 years, renovating by.