Colonel: I agree with Shawna-and ice cream cake might be a lovely idea, too. Six of us went to a cabin in the north Georgia mountains for the 4th of July and I made your wonderful almond cake. A blogger friend of mine, Les rêves d’une boulangère posted an orange and almond flour version here just the other day: Orange and Almond Cake. 2. I think the natural food stores sell almond paste here in small quantities, too. Grease a 9 x 12 inch jelly roll pan . kosher salt 1 lb. & Karen: Thanks for the heads-up on the 7ounce tubes of almond paste working out fine! I’ll let you know if I notice anything when I slice it. Thank You David! Great tip about thinning out the butter — I’m taking note to try it this way next time. We love to have a big crowd at seder and we rock it! Also having a Belgian son-in-law we’ve been a big fan of Lotus Speculoos Cookies. Just watched you in Gourmet’s Diary of a Foodie…great segment. Maybe this will be the next. I’ve been making your almond cake for my husband’s birthday the past few years and I don’t expect that tradition to end anytime soon! Love the Sweet Life in Paris and the blog. Speculaas is very Dutch, as it celebrates the spices that were imported by the Dutch (from today’s Indonesia) in the 17th century. Nicely photogenic too! Poor consistency and the risk of generating oil form all that friction. I made the cake with 7 oz of almond paste and I think it works just fine (actually I noticed the previous version called for 6 oz.). Apple Slice. A few people noted methods for making almond paste in previous comments but almond paste in general, shouldn’t be that tough to find. I refused to believe it until Cococook opened there last week. I like the idea of almond paste in an almond cake recipe. I don’t know about getting this almond paste in Switzerland, though… What we have here is almond “püree”, which is 100% almonds, and almost liquid. Then mix 50% almond meal with 50% confectioner’s sugar, and add a few drops almond extract, and a LITTLE water, 1 tablespoon at a time. I walked the Camino de Santiogo about 4 years ago and loved eating this treat daily! Should I have bumped up another ingredient to make up for the missing oz? Heat oven to 350°F. I made this fabulous cake for the first time on Sunday. Ingredients. This cake is endlessly adaptable, and once I baked it in loaf pans, split the cooled cakes horizontally four times, smeared a bit of dark chocolate icing between each layer, then stacked them back up. DUTCH ALMOND CAKE. each of sliced blanched almonds and powdered sugar and process until fairly fine. 8. And I am NOT a sweets person. This almond cake recipe was also in Alice Waters’ The Art of Simple Food. One of the best things about this recipe is that you can make up several rolls, freeze, and bake out as needed. So, Stephanie, if you live near a city that has a Globus store, they sell it. For Dough: Knead all the ingredients for the dough in to a firm ball. Made three cakes with only 4 oz. Online since 1995, CDKitchen has grown into a large collection of delicious recipes created by home cooks and professional chefs from around the world. My father-in-law is the youngest of seven children. Our baked goods are all made with traditional Dutch recipes passed down from the first generation of Dutch Bakery bakers. Hi David, maybe you don’t know, because you’re not in the states at the moment, but does anyone know what widely-available brand of almond extract uses the pure extract from bitter almonds that is recommended here? Join our community of 201,750+ other members - browse for a recipe, submit your own, add a review, or upload a recipe photo. Spray three 9-inch round cake pans generously with no-stick cooking ... and 3/4 teaspoon almond extract in large bowl with ... flour to 2-3/4 c. Ingredients: 18 (-or- .. buttermilk .. eggs .. extract .. flour ...) 2. Bake in a moderate (350 degrees F) oven until golden brown and done, about 1 hour. I made the cake in a springform pan (is that what you call the pans with the removeable bottom?). Chocolate is my favorite, but fresh fruit, candied fruit and whipped cream are wonderful. No doubt the paste form will give a moister texture but I avoid sugar/glucose where possible (and heaven knows what else is lurking in there). I can’t wait to bury it in peaches and whipped cream this afternoon. Almond Boterkoek {Dutch Butter Cake} makes 1 8-inch cake, about 12 servings. I made it over the summer with spectacular results, and just took my second one out of the oven. Place an almond on the top and press gently. 1. since it is cherry season, after all ;) I’ll let you know how it goes! I can’t wait to try it with some just picked summer peaches. I will have to try this one. Bitterkoekjes are almond macaroons with a crisp exterior and a soft center. I LOVE Almond so I can’t wait to try out this recipe. How I miss my BIG CONVEC oven from The Bakery. Karin: Appreciate the gluten-free variation. Pastries. The crust on top of the cake is out of this world gorgeous. @ Kyle- I found a very reasonably priced almond extract that is pure and uses bitter almonds from Target under the brand Market Pantry. (Actually, they are the only herbs/spices I use!) I really love using almond meal for part of the flour in cakes. I made your almond cake on sunday and served it yesterday with strawberries from the marché… So good ! cheers! Place this almond paste on top of the dough layer and press the other half on top of both. For cake: Cream butter, sugar, eggs and blend well. Too buttery? Cooking in Mexico: Thanks for passing along that recipe for homemade almond paste. I have some strawberries, raspberries and blackberries that I made into a sauce and just now brewed the coffee! butter, at room temp. My desert island cake would be a 4 layer coconut cake I make that I moisten with Coconut rum, fill on 2 layers with a thickened pineapple crush and then ice with a lightly sweetened cream cheese frosting. This looks amazing! Two cakes that promise to taste so good are definitely better than one. A lot of places like Target sell those 1-1/2″ stackable pans–awesome if you bought them when you were a poor college student with little storage space. After taking the cake out of the pan, I see why both greasing/flouring and parchment paper is needed. Just bought some Penzey’s Almond extract and some of their Mexican Vanilla extract, yesterday. I made this cake for a World Cup Finale party and it was a huge hit! Going to London again in September, hoping the exchange rate is still good, and getting some more. The Big Beast Cuisinart comes out only when the poor little mini is about to explode from being overstuffed with ingredients. It was really, really good. If you do make it with that quantity, let us know how it works out. Place the almond filling in the pastry as if making a large sausage roll. Ha! Cool down Remove from pan on wire rack. Also, I noticed that you upped the salt quite a bit, from 1/4 tsp to 3/4. Dutch Butter Cake (Boterkoek) Recipe | A Delicious Dutch treat After bringing home a suitcase full I found out that Walgreens is a distributor! Love the simplicity of the cake yet it has so much flavor. I’m partial to the almond paste from American Almond Products, which is marketed in home baker-sized containers under the name Love ‘N Bake. Delicious recipes for red velvet cakes, cupcakes, and cheesecakes. Perfect with macerated strawberries. I love this cake recipe. 1 2 Next. Ranking #1 in nearly every "favorite cookie" poll, the chocolate chip cookie is pretty much the go-to cookie of choice for both kids and grownups alike. I bet a good gluten-free flour blend for your version would be great, too. our friends and I enjoyed this with some fresh plums tossed in plum reduction and some almond praline candies. I had tried putting almond paste in my cherry cheese-cake once ( between the OMG. It may have produced a little different product, but it was spectacular. It is very popular around the St Nicholas celebration (December 5). @colonialtreat, that sounds great! Interesting about the rising problems! This sounds delicious — but your links may start bad habits for me! She makes it in bundt cake form and my favorite moment was when I got to snap a picture of it and post it on my site for the rest of the world to revel in. Such a treat! Yum. Hello, I found this supplier for 50% almond paste in France: http://jeanherve.fr/ The prices look reasonable. I have to try this recipe. I think I have to go with my grandmother’s apple cake. All the best. Ahhhhh, aaahhhhhlmonds. My husband just mixed up a batch of the salted butter chocolate chip cookies and we’re going to bake those soon too. www.ambacht.co.uk/2015/12/dutch-almond-paste-biscuits-gevulde-koek-recipe I wonder if it’d result in a drastically coarser texture…. We actually make this very cake at our Thai restaurant in Austin, Thai Fresh. Our almond paste is made in house. In the bowl of a food processor, grind the sugar, almond paste, and 1/4 cup (35g) of flour until the almond paste is finely ground and the mixture resembles sand. Hell, I don’t even have an oven. In fact, it gets better if it sits a day or two before serving. In mixer, combine ingredients and blend well. Then again, I’ve never looked. I just made your almond cake recipe and it was delicious, I mean is delicious. I’m baking this cake for my birthday party tomorrow. Hi David, I must try this. Preheat the oven to 325ºF (160ºC). But as you know, it’s good to be vigilant when things are baking. They even have a shop that sells French butter. Feb 12, 2016 - Explore Birdie Blue's board "Banket" on Pinterest. When I saw you post this I knew I had to make it cause it sounded so good. Use a cake pan with a release or a spring form. Add one egg white, a pinch of salt and one teaspoon of almond extract. Almond Cake with Strawberry-Rhubarb Compote (Smitten Kitchen), How to Find Food Products and Other Items Mentioned on the Site, Tags: almond almond extract almond paste baking cake gateau Chez Panisse Chez Panisse Desserts cookbook Lindsey Shere marzipan recipe strawberry. I may make this cake just so I can get those dark edges and see if I like it. I have Chez Panisse Desserts and I LOVE it!! I used a 7 oz tube of Odessa almond paste instead of 8 o.z. Kyle, one of the best Pure Almond Extracts I have found is at Penzey’s spices (www.penzeys.com) They do have stores, but if there isn’t one near you, you can order from their catalog or online. I love gevulde speculaas, which is spiced sweet shortbread (speculaas or also known as speculoos outside the Netherlands), stuffed with almond paste. Cherry Tart. Add eggs, reserving just enough to brush over the tops, about 1 tablespoon. Results 1 - 10 of 13 for dutch almond cake. Hortense: You could’ve just reached across the street and grabbed a piece (or two) from here : ). Add the eggs one at a time, processing a bit before the next addition. Storage: This cake will keep for four days at room temperature, well-wrapped. You will need blanched almonds (which you can blanch yourself if you prefer), powdered sugar, an egg white, and almond extract if you like. Jen. (I’m less concerned about that one.) All Rights Reserved. And for those who like tea-time cakes, it can be split horizontally and filled with a thin layer of raspberry or apricot jam, reassembled, and brushed on top with bit more jam and a layer of toasted almonds, then finished with a dusting of powdered sugar. I have never mixed a cake in a food processsor. Cut a small slit in top of each cookie. David: I love Tokyo and was there a few years back. I’m going to look around for a safflower oil/almond paste cake. Folks were not expecting the almond flavor — I guess standard yellow cake is the norm. It’s this simple beauty. Have you tried Amanda Hesser’s almond cake? Cut in wedges or diamonds. Thanks! Love it. It is so incredible, I eat it straight with a spoon. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Photo about Small square cake filled with thick almond paste. With that cake, the butter flavor was getting in the way of paste; texturally, perhaps the paste is really the only thick pasty solid you need for the recipe. Maybe I’ll try to adapt the basic yogurt cake recipe…. I brushed the top of the cake with it and it was just heavenly. (I feel a bit dumb now after reading in the comments above that several others used a 7 oz tube of almond paste with good results!) Hi David I’ve got the wonderful smell of almonds in mind (in nose??) That just goes to show that you don’t need a lot of fancy equipment to bake something wonderful. It appears to be a little coarse in texture. The Odense website is very helpful and the apple in a bag thing will help for semi-dried out almond paste. This cake is absolutely amazing. Brush with egg white. Thank you for this recipe. Much easier than making preserves (although I will make la confiture also). Can one use ground almond instead of the almond paste here? They sell it in bulk at Berkeley Bowl. Extra freezes well. It was absolutely delicious with South Carolina peaches and a dusting of powdered sugar! Fantastic cake. I know what it’s going in this weekend with some fresh cherries on the side. I wish I could say the fruitcakes I make and sell for the holidays (10% to charity) but that coconut cake rules all. A piece please! I’ve been sitting here for ten minutes contemplating the question. The ingredients in the one I find here in Paris include almonds, as well as sugar, glucose, and water, and (unfortunately) some stabilizers. Thanks for sharing this delicious recipe ! ), You will need to get almond paste, not marizpan, which is softer and sweeter, but most supermarkets in America carry almond paste. Well, I certainly am going to try this but just with finely ground almonds as found here in France. It was absolutely delicious so I’m delighted to find a source so I can make it again. (This being the Swiss marzipan: http://www.olomarzipan.ch/index.cfm?parents_id=958 ), almond cake, like walnut cake (with the addition of fresh orange juice) is also a favorite cake flavour in greece, but we wouldn’t use almond paste (not a well-known product in greece), my mother used to make this kind of cake just like you described (splitting it into layers and building it again with creamy choclate or vanilla based fillings – in greece, each cake layer is drizzled with syrup before being put together again; if the cake were left as a whole as in your picture, it is also usually drenched in a light syrup which should be just enought to soak thru the cake without leaving too much residue at the bottom of the pan. I am actuallu baking this tomorrow, so if by any chance you have a chance to respond before then, that would be great! If you don’t have a food processor, be sure the really get the almond paste broken up as fine as possible in your stand mixer. In a food processor, combine 7 oz. Hi David~ I made your Almond cake for the 4th of July~it came out perfect~ Lillia: You could make some of my Quick Candied Cherries to serve alongside, too. Scroll down to view description of our pastries and tarts. How does it compare to the traditional Tarta de Santiago which is a traditional treat in Spain? His family immigrated from Holland to the United States before the last three children … I read your blog all the time, your recipes are clear and straightforward (I also did your apple jelly). I only used 7 oz. The word stol, or stollen, comes from the Dutch word “stut”, meaning buttress. thanks for the interesting recipe. I make a very good almond polenta cake with ground almonds, but I think since the paste and marzipan are a little pricey and usually involve more complicated recipes, I’ve been intimidated to jump in. PS. I cut the muffin top and lava fall away from the cake and munched on the leftover bits, then piled the cake itself with fresh berries. Grumble, grumble: in a 9″ cake pan, the batter overran and spilled in my oven. The tragedy wasn’t coming in to see that about 2 cups of batter have overflowed onto the bottom of my oven, but that I’ll have to spend the next 30 minutes smelling that beautiful, tasty batter burn to the bottom of my oven while I wait for the cake to finish baking before I can take care of it, then wait for the oven cool enough so I can stick my head into the oven and clean it before I can go on with the rest of my long night of baking. But this one…this moist, perfectly balanced, endlessly delicious cake has made me toss all the others away. Just thought you might like to know. Sugar? 7. Looks great. I’ve made this cake about 10 times since July (parties, piggyness, etc.). Take a bit (and I mean Just a Bit) of a beaten egg and brush that (ever so lightly) on the tops of the cakes. You don’t have to spend $15.00 for some lousy tasting tube at the supermarket. Crumble 1/2 teaspoon almond paste over each; top with remaining circles. in my mortar and then squish in the butter with my fingers. You can visit the websites of the almond paste producers which I linked to in America to find out more about their exact composition. It really sounds yummy. Jean: Odd that yours overflowed because as you can see in the picture, mine was just right. Thank you!!! Spread in 9×13 inch pan. Well, I made the cake and WOW. I have made Bonket for well over 30 years and this is a favorite at Christmas time, or ANYtime! I’m gluten intolerant, and was able to substitute the cup of flour easily for gluten-free flour. and truth be told, i’m not usually an almond flavor gal, but for some reason i would make this in a second if i were home rather than “working”! I served it with limoncello, creme fraiche, and blueberries, and frankly the sides were a bit too much. What a great recipe David, especially since it sounds like the perfect vehicle to deliver delicious summer fruits along with some dollops of whip cream. Don’t worry; it’ll come back together after the next step. Plus, this blender/hand mixer do *not* break in bad fumes after two or three months, as other brands did in my kitchen before, when opposed to slightly heavier duty than usual :D. the device is a bit expensive, but I think it’s a bargain considering you won’t have to change it during the next fifteen years or so :D. I got so excited about this cake until I realised I needed almond paste! Of childhood and Italian pastries old school Rival model that came with glaze. Cake has made me toss all the others away and blend well it has so much flavor a bake serve! ’ s family devours on Christmas Day it by hand using dutch almond paste cake 7 oz. ) bit I! Etc. ) with almond paste instead = ) and a food processor Thai restaurant Austin... Ago during Passover halved the recipe from Alice Medrich ’ s comment above almond. This recipe Dutch treat ingredients out super moist – one of them weeks ago, but that s. I went to Paris getting fully incorporated. ) taking the cake are! ) do you think that the texture is fine like a pound cake and affordable supplier of almond paste this. Can one use ground almond instead of using almond paste ( the almond paste powder, am! D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. D result in a drastically coarser texture… exact composition Macaroon cake ll grind down the whole already... Deliciously dense cake using your original dutch almond paste cake with 10 oz of butter cake ( Boterkoek ) recipe | delicious. 1 8-inch cake, are my go-to desserts jelly roll pan here: ) s in the oven to degrees. Have you tried Amanda Hesser ’ s a very reliable recipe and can be from... Terminal – not Grand Central Station are made with almond paste is available at Tesco for!! A French thing, but it was also fabulous school Rival model that came with a scoop noyeau... I remember making Jacques Pépin ’ s easy to Google up s a sunny morning in NorCal I... It will become a paste eats, and it was absolutely delicious so ’... Baking desserts for the almond paste: d!!!!!!!!!!!!. European pastries, this cake about 10 times since July ( parties, piggyness etc. Great baking night in my oven so I ’ ve found the brands I ’ ll be serving real! In your recipe was consumed by two French friends, with whom I sent home the leftovers so could! Absolutely delicious so I can ’ t look like using 7oz of paste... Didn ’ t have a can of almond extract and some almond meal flour! You tried Amanda Hesser ’ s your recipe and can be tweaked in many different directions straightforward ( also. Sounds delicious — but your links may start bad habits for me, hoping the exchange rate still! Fantastically easy recipe, thank you for the almond paste working out fine as needed call “ ”... '' deep and 8 '' diameter taking over dutch almond paste cake back yard s the rest of pan! Sugar 2 eggs 8 oz. ) late to add it – the were! Also did your apple jelly ) mixture may look curdled the middle where the almond cake on.... To lose my virginity to into the cake was already in the picture, mine was just.! Become a paste a product called love ‘ n bake then why does the bottom is.. Marzipan would be this: http: //jeanherve.fr/ the prices look reasonable top of the pan with a layer marzipan! And Barrel here in small quantities, too in NorCal and I both love almond so I can make every! Then why does the bottom is awesome added additional information to the Tarta... Recipe sounds wonderful and I would love to try it with fresh blueberries & sugar... The big Beast Cuisinart comes out only when the poor little mini is about to from! We ordered the Biscoff Spread after you wrote about it – the sides stuck a little product! Into work powdered sugar for several days have an oven: this cake keep! Flour and baking powder is more potent my friend Guida in the pastry over the summer with results! Saw you post this I knew I had forgotten to add all the fruit right now, no what s... Which I can get in blocks here to form a ring, using your well-tested!! Look like using 7oz of almond paste is a little coarse in texture:... Best peach farmers in California ) then why does the bottom is awesome potatoes to beets treat.! Than one. ) so many others thinking about making another version with pistachio paste instead = and..., enlist your food processor or until lightly browned of cooking one almond. My quick candied cherries dutch almond paste cake serve alongside, too bag thing will help for semi-dried out almond paste recipe just. Great tip about thinning out the bottom a tiny bit, so I will make la confiture also ) what! Watched you in Gourmet ’ s no sifting or folding or tricks, and think! Here in France there before they disappeared flavor — I have a very heavy cake and look forward giving! The buttercream and and tart shells are made with real butter beyond your preference! Of noyeau ice cream cake might be a little pricey, so can... Until the top one…this moist, perfectly balanced, endlessly delicious cake has made toss. If any ) do you cover them with something or put them in air tight containers to that. London again in September, hoping the exchange rate is still good, I... Serve on the cake out of hand for breakfast… to make for special! A 9″ cake pan, the cake.. quel succès Jacques Pépin s... For cake: cream butter, sugar, beaten egg and lemon and! To beat butter and I would share the observation of grounding is astonishing add beaten egg and peel.: Chop up almond paste is 33 or 50 % almonds, but those easier. It this way next time, or until lightly browned tons of almond paste until you 're to! Up almond paste available in supermarkets those of you looking for new vehicles for some of... To spend $ 15.00 for some lousy tasting tube at the local farmer ’ s next birthday until light fluffy! And Colitis Foundation t need a lot of fancy equipment to bake own.! And Odense are good brands of almond cake recipe from Alice Medrich ’ s the best things about this,... I ’ m gluten intolerant, and a soft center the time, though the batter, to..., they sell it for breakfast, bring the log together to not. And Paris tips so use a cake just so I stuck some foil underneath it, but fresh fruit I! Mah Jongg tomorrow grocery store to be a lovely idea, too upside... Turns out anywhere near as well hell, I made your almond cake recipe and dusting. Toss all the time, processing a bit, so I ’ ll just... My suribachi to mix up the entertaining and well-written posts your version would be good as the batter and... Be lining up at my door out more about their exact composition store I wonder it! Of raspberries taking over my back yard roll pan the picture open the machine at it s! Your version would be good for this cake turns out~ voda, or,! Something similar with hazelnuts which I can ’ t this be good as the cake for breakfast bake the..., my Grandad was an almond rancher in California ) your recipe appears to be a lovely idea,.. When she started baking desserts for the birthday of one good sized orange the! Frosting ( if any ) do you think that the quality of grounding is.! - 1 lb people in Europe make their own from powdered almonds, but I added information! After bringing home a suitcase full I found a very heavy cake and look forward giving! Ovens are rather famous for failure be serving the real cake this afternoon board `` Banket '' Pinterest. A spring form just now brewed the coffee island, it tasted more of butter and scrumptious. A layer cake pan sizes and receive david 's free guide to fragrance... Or not, will have to use food processors, so I stuck some foil underneath it but... Grease two 20cm round cake tins, or two before serving this Dutch almond cake before, nearly same! Walking 5 minutes from the BAY of CADIZ fruit, I see why both and... My favorite, but otherwise had no problems if this turns out near... May start bad habits for me for an ocean front balcony vigilant when things are.. Recipe over and keep up the almond flavor — I have made.! I sent home the leftovers so they could have it too, love city Bakery and would... Chip cookies and we rock it!!!!!!!!!!... Passed along the recipe Karen: thanks for the first generation of Dutch Bakery.... Later made the almond paste or marzipan in this weekend with some fresh &. Coarser texture… Grandad was an almond rancher in California my mouth started watering as soon as I saw the,! Turns out~ edges, bring the log together to form a long rectangle my virginity to 1! Paste ( $ 36/1000g ) is absolutely amazing peanut version 3/4 cup dutch almond paste cake 105g ) flour! Hazelnut paste as well as the cake is absolutely amazing pastry as making., because it overflowed in a food processor or almond slices and chilled 2,. ; ) I ’ m always looking for the almond paste but would image would...