If you aren’t prepared for such an intelligent and energetic breed, you may want to rethink. I'm just wondering if … Intelligent Working Dogs. Make sure your pooch has a place to relax outside that's cool, such as a kiddie pool filled with cool or lukewarm water that they can escape to … people get them most because they look cool, but there are no words to explain the hardship of raising a husky puppy let alone maintaining an adult. Pros . Rough calculations: 30kg (66 lb) dog at 2% would eat 600gr (22 oz) of food. All-natural supplements. Good luck! They can be pushy sometimes socially with other dogs, … Chris Boudens thought it would be fun to play Billy Joel's "Piano Man" for his dogs. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. That's interesting, so it's like he's a great watchdog, but you've yet to see his guard dog capabilities. Funny you mention a Jack Russel. The last of the best dog breeds for cats on our list is the Boston terrier, a dog with a whole lot of heart. It would be really helpful! Mine protects the house well. Thank you for your helpful answer :) it's good that they are nice and friendly though! That’s why dog training is mandatory for a happy Husky and a happy owner. However, every dog is an individual and there is no telling how yours will react. Prepare for your life to be turned upside down. Siberian Huskies are like most other breeds in the world when it comes to bathing – they hate it. Are Huskies good service dogs. Huskies has lots of hair, lots of shedding. Growling was an indicator to the pup no one wanted to play. Overall, mixed bag. Fairly quick to learn potty training. Huskies and other northern working breeds are smart, friendly, and entertaining. Press J to jump to the feed. Press question mark to learn the rest of the keyboard shortcuts. Do Huskies Shed All Year Round. Female Huskies are renowned for their beauty and prowess, making them some of the most stunning and desirable pets! Huskies are bred to run, so it is no surprise that when they get loose they run for miles. That being said he rarely does that when it is both myself and my husband. Mar 14, 2019 - Are Huskies Good With Kids/babies? Puppy Training Made Easy: 4 Things You MUST Do Right With that said... CONS: Can almost never be left alone (this breed can't stand to not be in a pack). I do not have a husky but 2 senior basenjis with a history of aggression toward other dogs. Are Huskies good service dogs? They love their families, and their lives center around that. She spent her first night with me last night. 1. Teaches you responsibility on a whole 'nother level. Their distinctive faces are expressive. One can differentiate huskies from other dog types by their fast pulling-style. A bored Husky with pent-up energy will turn to destructive and troublesome behaviors. I had two older Springers when I got my huskies. So to sum it up. Ours is now a (mostly!) It's not true. Again your dog will learn the 21 skills that all family dogs need to know. This is the exact dog brush and tools I use everyday in my grooming shop on all double-coated breeds that come in. She was hypo throughout the night. I decided that I wanted to get a new puppy for my benefit and dogs. This dog food offers complete nutrition for your mutt. My girl husky though is a breeze, incredibly easy, and almost obedient. Mine is an older dog, 13 years old but he is the most gentle dog I've ever known. The heavy undercoat insulates the body and the long top coat shields against the win, rain, or snow. As far as actually defending us in a rough situation.. we have not found that out yet. They are often confused with Malamutes and many husky mixes are often referred to simply as huskies, and perhaps these dogs are where the stereotype originates. There is also a smaller community for University of Washington [here](http://www.reddit.com/r/huskies). No one will be able to slip in and out quietly. We gave the Purina Pro Plan a rating of 4.5 out of 5 stars. They do play rough though and that can be a problem with an older dog. They may howlif any one comes to the gates / entrance of your property but they will most definitely lick the person to death than attack or chase off intruders. Nicknamed the “dog with a thousand expressions,” Huskies are comical dogs. He will run circles around your older dog and turn every interaction into a game that benefits him. This. If you could provide advice on owning these dogs and taking the right preparations, I'd appreciate it. Wait. Also see r/husky and r/siberianhusky for more owners. A bored husky is likely to chew through a wall, or worse, if he likes being in his crate, you have a safe space to keep him in if you have to leave him unattended for a while. Less active or senior dogs may need as few as 1,000 calories per day, while highly active Siberian Huskies could consume 1,800 calories daily. Response 2 – burnett33 – Reddit – Source. She's welcome to come along if she wants, or would that not be considered fun for her? Everyone else has already made good points. In most cases, Siberian Huskies make good family pets for households with respectful kids. Paws are sensitive to … Many people find this charming, but some find it too much. Could you do that with two dogs? The major points of the breed: they are drama queens, they can be very mouthy, they need a lot of exercise, they shed A TON (year round), they are gorgeous, they are extremely intelligent, and they will be your best friend. that's right, I've definitely found them to just give love than attack! The Siberian Husky breed dates back around 3,000 years. The woos become more intense as she looks to find us. A husky is a sled dog used in the polar regions. A million times this. “Generally, yes, huskies are good with kids, strangers, anyone really. One old and probably not up to walking much and the other young and requiring lots of walking? Training a husky, I believe, requires a bit of give and take. There will be dog fur on any items stolen from the home. What I love most about this dog food is that all its ingredients are natural. They have a high prey drive and may chase cats and livestock. They’re good with children (though, of course, they should be supervised at all times) and friendly towards strangers. If you're worried about handling the puppy make sure he gets lots of excersies because breeds with higher energy are likely to turn aggressive or destructive when not being able to burn all that energy they have. We Explore The Husky Temperament, Huskies With Babies, Kids, Children, Other Dogs + 5 Family Tips! Part of me would love another husky, but there's also part of me that would like a dog with good recall so I can let them off. 59 minutes ago. When your dogs are more than six months old, you can divide the feeding time to two in a day. It will be impossible for an intruder to have an alibi. Not at all. 3. PROS: will keep you both active. He learned to pull off the planks. they are generally not an agressive breed like some others are prone to be, their main issue is just being a pain in the ass in general. Anytime someone or something is in our yard or at the door, he lets us know. So the concerns that this brings as an owner are: They will pull excessively on the lead when … While the exact lineage origins of the Husky are not known, they were initially utilized by the nomadic tribe of Chukchi people from the northeast region of Asia. They can be pushy sometimes socially with other dogs, and are usually full contact players, bouncing, jumping, chasing, and wrestling are their favorite ways to play. Must always be on a leash (they have one of the highest prey drives of any breed and will not hesitate to leave you for chasing a squirrel). So any future owner needs to take this into account. My ball if fire has mellowed now that he is six and loves to hang out on the couch with me. and continue to make other "talking" noises to the newcomer and insist that the intruder engage in conversation. The Best Brush for Huskies. My roommate is getting one here in a few weeks and I can't stop looking up more about these dogs and awwing over their pictures. Any dog gets along with other dogs if socialized. In the "holy fuck my dog is smarter than me" way. However, they’re also loyal, loving, and more than a bit curious. He is playful, athletic, agile, and light on his feet. Well, for one, Siberian Huskies are good with children and it is an important factor when considering having a dog that meets people along the way and is not aggressive or intimidating. I love Siberian Huskies too, but they surely aren't farm dogs. Cause I can see how most owners would've. Huskies are pack animals by nature, and even if it doesn't end up getting along with other dogs in general, it will do fine with members of it's own household (this applies to almost every dog). So, as you can see, a Husky is not a guard dog, but they can certainly help protect your home and family. The question: do huskies make good pets, is often raised because they do not differentiate that much in their looks from their ancestors the wolf. They are an inherently friendly breed and I don't know where anybody would get the idea that they aren't. They are generally not to be trusted off-leash. Thank you :), New comments cannot be posted and votes cannot be cast. Huskies are outgoing and energetic dogs with a mischievous side to them. Family Dogs. Huskies have earned a reputation of being "dominant" over their owners by certain circles of people because of their personalities. Huskies are not easy, and they are strong, curious, stubborn, but the trade offs are incredible. What breeds do people recommend that mix well with huskies… Again your dog will learn the 21 skills that all family dogs need to know. Most of all, if you are having major doubts at all about being able to handle him, help him find a home. Finding The Best Puppy Food For Huskies. Get plenty of tough, chew-resistant toys. Otherwise their only value in this aspect is nothing can move on your property without them knowing. Very smart breed! If your dog is over 18 months, you'll want Respect Training For Adult Dogs: 30 seconds to a calm, polite, well-behaved dog. At 3% it would eat 600gr (22 oz) of food. I think I can do better than that.. The root is typically white while the tip is red, leaving a solid red appearance. The following two products fit that bill for many owners. I run frequently between 10-20 miles. Siberian huskies were developed under harsh conditions and, not surprisingly, are easy dogs to keep. It's taken 7 YEARS for her to finally calm down and be a good dog! They are extremely active; vocal; furry (you will breath and eat it because they … To sum up, these dogs are a lot of work. War wasn’t always on the field or in the jungles and during WWII. The AKC Standard says the Siberian Husky "does not display the possessive qualities of the guard dog, nor is he overly suspicious of strangers or aggressive with other dogs." Huskies are some of the best working dogs the world has to offer. If you want to own a high-energy dog… Sibes love kids, and kids love these furry, good-natured dogs. Also because the breed was traditionally used as a sled dog. But mine are still young, and they are my first two, so others may have different experience. Hahahahahahahahaha….. Oh. pleasant dog - but this is with a lot of training, play, discipline and exercise. If you are looking for a University of Washington subreddit, there is one already [here](http://www.reddit.com/r/udub) with nearly 4,000 subscribers. People looking for a watchdog - Although Siberian huskies are a large breed dog, they don't make good watchdogs. If you are looking for a University of Washington … I can pet, hug, hang out with the huskies and not feel my allergies, whereas when I am with other dogs such as labs, aussies, and cattle dogs, I definitely feel it and get hives on my arms, itchy/runny nose, itchy eyes if I do not wash immediately after petting. Their lack of homing instinct is an asset … Huskies are not off-leash dogs and recall tends to be terrible. The Husky – A great family dog. I’m trying to figure out the best food for my huskies. (I will post pictures of my wolf friend later if requested!). lol. An adorable Husky has been captured on video while blowing bubbles underwater. The Girl springer took the Puppy husky under her paw and the older Springer taught my boy husky to fetch, for which I am forever grateful. 10kg (22 lb) dog at 2% would eat 200gr (7 oz) of food. At 3% it would eat 900gr (32 oz) of food. At 3%, dogs would eat 900 g food per day. My first and only dog is a pure bred Siberian husky named Ace. I'll gladly take this pup in, if they are ok with other dogs. A Husky will loudly announce the arrival of any person that enters the home. Their bodies are typically lean and athletic. Malamutes are known to be dog … Would she rather chase a ball? Indeed, the free-spirited Siberian Husky is usually good-natured with everyone. I kind of love her and want to be a good master to her, but I know it will be a challenge. Siberian huskies are playful, loving and social family dogs. Needs constant excise (A tired husky is a happy husky <